What if you don't like formal wear?

Fred66

You're spot on Supered and LibraLass - P and O seem to be trying to offer something that at the moment they aren't delivering.

It may be that they will retain the restaurants and formal dining on Ventura and perhaps Oceana too but have a casual dining option in addition. Then if they maintain the dress code as applying to the restaurants only and not the whole of the ship it could conceviably achieve a compromise?

However this may spoil the ambience about the ship for people who prefer the formal dress code to be more universal.

Personally I just wish they'd hurry up and make their mind up so that we no longer need to speculate. I am happy to go on formal cruises but personally prefer informal (although to me this means just different dining options not a relaxing of standards elsewhere).

I too have had the OV letter from P and O stating Ventura and Oceana to be "fun and informal" ships but this was under a heading of what to do after 2010 so I think we will be seeing some changes on these ships but possibly only beginning with the 2011 season - I suppose this means that until they announce their 2011 itineraries etc the speculation will just continue!:D

Besides, we currently have Bagpuss and Basil Brush onboard OV which will have to find a new home on Ventura/Oceana! :D

Oh, I'm so jealous. We LOVE Bagpuss and Basil Brush - the girls have the DVD of all the Bagpuss stories and still watch Basil on CBBC (as does their Dad).

Unfortunately, Ventura had Noddy and Mr Bump, both more suitable for a toddler group than for school-age children ......... or perhaps somebody might think that of Bagpuss and Basil too :)

Oh, I'm so jealous. We LOVE Bagpuss and Basil Brush - the girls have the DVD of all the Bagpuss stories and still watch Basil on CBBC (as does their Dad).

Unfortunately, Ventura had Noddy and Mr Bump, both more suitable for a toddler group than for school-age children ......... or perhaps somebody might think that of Bagpuss and Basil too :)

Basil.gif

http://www.oceanvillageholidays.co.uk/ocean-village-increases-family-cruise-appeal-basil-brush.aspx

You see you just wouldn't get them on a RCI/NCL ship would you!

Well, since I would be so happy with Basil and Bagpuss (and I've just seen that Paddington is on board too) and really don't like Noddy and Mr Bump on the Ventura, I must be more of an OV person than a P&O one.

But is there really much difference between the two companies? In the past I've never thought there was, assuming that they were both more for people who liked holidays on a ship, rather than for people who liked cruising. I don't know if anybody else can see a difference between a ship-board holiday and a cruise, but I think the holiday route is the way P&O are going.

Well, since I would be so happy with Basil and Bagpuss (and I've just seen that Paddington is on board too) and really don't like Noddy and Mr Bump on the Ventura, I must be more of an OV person than a P&O one.

But is there really much difference between the two companies? In the past I've never thought there was, assuming that they were both more for people who liked holidays on a ship, rather than for people who liked cruising. I don't know if anybody else can see a difference between a ship-board holiday and a cruise, but I think the holiday route is the way P&O are going.

What has Noddy ever done to you, complain complain complain.

Anyway Bagpus would not look good in a DJ.:D

Or is it a Girl:eek:

Noddy forever.

Noddy Rules OK

:)Happy Cruising:)

:cool:

Dai

Thinking about it Basil could get away with a DJ, unless he is a shorts and tshirt man on his hols.:D

Anyway Bagpus would not look good in a DJ.

Quite agree. But have you looked at many of the cruisers on Ventura? For the most part they make Bagpuss look slim and shapely even though he really "was just an old, saggy cloth cat, baggy, and a bit loose at the seams". A cut above your usual fellow passenger then? :D

Perhaps we should swap. You take on Noddy who would go down a treat with your tatooed OV lot (should they share your niece's views). I'll take Bagpuss as a model to which Ventura passengers may aspire.

On the other hand, perhaps I'll just go back to Cunard :D

What kind of fancy dresses do they sell? like Snow White or Naughty Nurse? and are these acceptable on formal nights?

PS you're paying too much for your black suits at Wal-Mart, here in Blighty Tesco do them for £25!

Don't skit. I'm sure they'd be very useful on one of these cruises. I never knew they did European ones. I can see my granddaughters getting into nagging mode .......

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/dcl/en_US/cruises/overview?name=EuropeanCruisesLandingPage

Gerry the following is an extract from the letter sent to 10s of thousands of OV cruisers with the latest brochure.

Accompanying it was a letter entitled "Something to think about for after 2010......"

It starts and I quote.

"P&O Cruises - Of all the P&O Cruises superliners, Oceana and Ventura are the closest match to Ocean Village. They're fun and informal with plenty of dining choices so that you can eat when and where you like. There's also cool bars and spas, nightclubs, children's clubs and Ventura even has bungee trampolines."

It then continues as an after-thought

"Of course, all of this is complemented by some of the time-honoured cruising traditions like afternoon tea and the occasional formal night. "

So tens of thousands of OV passengers receive a letter saying that Oceana and Ventura are the closest match and are FUN and INFORMAL!

Now if I went on there and was told I couldn't eat someone and there wasn't an informal option on formal nights that could be referred to trading standards as misleading advertising. The TA's have also received literature from Carnival to persuad ex-OV cruisers when they try and book beyond 2010!

A bit selective in the quote though wasnt it from the letter? , I now know that it wasn't just P&O Ventura and Oceana that OV were recommending, the letter also says...that... the P&O part of the letter only amounted to 6 lines.

There is a whole page telling cruisers to try Carnival fun ships (7 line paragraph), Costa (8 line paragraph), Princess (6 line paragraph) and Cunard (9 line paragraph) so you see P&O only got a small mention.

:rolleyes:

A bit selective in the quote though wasnt it from the letter? , I now know that it wasn't just P&O Ventura and Oceana that OV were recommending, the letter also says...that... the P&O part of the letter only amounted to 6 lines.

There is a whole page telling cruisers to try Carnival fun ships (7 line paragraph), Costa (8 line paragraph), Princess (6 line paragraph) and Cunard (9 line paragraph) so you see P&O only got a small mention.

:rolleyes:

Your missing the point again. Yes, the others were mentioned Costa - Italian smoke-alot, Princess, Cunard and Carnival.

Which one was first on the list, Oh P&O.

Which one said was closest match to OV, oh P&O.

Which one in Uk £ (well Ok two P&O and Cunard).

Which lines have mostly British fellow passengers...

How many Carnival ships are currently based over here in Europe during the summer?

Its easy to 'miss the point' when you OV lot are selective with your comments AND QUOTES!!:rolleyes:

I'm sorry I thought this was the P&O board and not Carnival or Costa etc.. So only quoted the relevant section to the discussion regarding Ventura and Oceana.

I didn't see any reason to quote the bits about Cunard and how this was a true traditional classic line etc..

But then I wouldn't know any better as us lot must also be of a lesser intelligence, must throw away that bit of paper on my wall from that Redbrick University... :D

Anyhow, bored of this topic going in circles I'm off to the nice friendly Aussie guys & Gals on the P&O Aus forum to tell them about the wonderful ships they are inheriting! ;)

I'm sorry I thought this was the P&O board and not Carnival or Costa etc.. So only quoted the relevant section to the discussion regarding Ventura and Oceana.

I didn't see any reason to quote the bits about Cunard and how this was a true traditional classic line etc..

But then I wouldn't know any better as us lot must also be of a lesser intelligence, must throw away that bit of paper on my wall from that Redbrick University... :D

Anyhow, bored of this topic going in circles I'm off to the nice friendly Aussie guys & Gals on the P&O Aus forum to tell them about the wonderful ships they are inheriting! ;)

A few on here are very selective on which of our points they read or have great difficulty comprehending the issues facing us. The stock answer of ‘get yourself an Asda penguin suit, fit in & enjoy’ does not help.

The dinosaurs on here need to wake up and realise many of us will be heading for their cruise ships soon as P&O will not be wanting to loose the custom of ov passengers, maybe not to the likes of Artemis (aka gods waiting room) but certainly to Ventura and any other ships designated less formal.

P&O are not doing enough just yet to attract us but lets see what they come up with in the 2011 brochure, with all those extra cabins to fill on their new build ships some of the dinosaurs may be outraged at what P&O do to fill them by making concessions to retain ex ov customers and attract new to cruising customers.

Simple economics, P&O need to sail full ships and they will not be able to fill all the cabins with traditional cruisers.

A few on here are very selective on which of our points they read or have great difficulty comprehending the issues facing us. The stock answer of ‘get yourself an

Asda

penguin suit, fit in & enjoy’ does not help.

The dinosaurs on here need to wake up and realise many of us will be heading for their cruise ships soon as P&O will not be wanting to loose the custom of

ov

passengers, maybe not to the likes of Artemis (aka gods waiting room) but certainly to

Ventura

and any other ships designated less formal.

P&O are not doing enough just yet to attract us but lets see what they come up with in the 2011 brochure, with all those extra cabins to fill on their new build ships some of the dinosaurs may be outraged at what P&O do to fill them by making concessions to retain ex

ov

customers and attract new to cruising customers.

Simple economics, P&O need to sail full ships and they will not be able to fill all the cabins with traditional cruisers.

You certainly have no proof of this.

It is just hopeful thinking on your part along with your colleagues over on the OV section of CC.

Your credibility goes out of the window when you admit that you are coming to these boards to stir and make trouble.

You have every right to do this but other cruisers need to know where you are coming from and treat your postings with that in mind.

Whatever you say I cannot see any further movement of any P&O ships to be "for people who do not do cruising". It clearly has not worked so why make the same mistake again.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

Dai

It is just hopeful thinking on your part along with your colleagues over on the OV section of CC.

P&O are certainly trying to retain ex ov passengers.

Your credibility goes out of the window when you admit that you are coming to these boards to stir and make trouble.

Not the case, I came on this board to get a feel of P&O, the reaction by some on here has put us off P&O somewhat but to be honest I would like to give P&O a try if they were to make a few more concessions to accomodate those who love casual ov style cruising.

You have every right to do this but other cruisers need to know where you are coming from and treat your postings with that in mind.

That has been made abundantly clear - try reading the postings.

Whatever you say I cannot see any further movement of any P&O ships to be "for people who do not do cruising". It clearly has not worked so why make the same mistake again.

Dai

OV is profitable so I cannot agree. I don't know P&O's stratergy but maybe OV was used to proove a concept that is now being merged into their main brand? Pure speculation of course but I cannot see P&O wanting to loose 100's of thousands of passengers annually to the likes of NCL.

Lets wait and see what happens and keep ourselves ammused by speculating on these boards.

Surely the "market" will decide where cruising goes in the future? If people want to continue dressing formally while cruising then the cruise lines will continue to provide it. Personally I am not fussed either way. Cruising is a means to an end for me, which is to visit a number of different places in comfort. The dining experience is at the end of the day and I will choose what kind of experience that is depending on my preference. All ships cater for the differing requirements of their paying customers and I don't see this changing in the near future. :)

Dai

Like you have no proof of the the stats that you quote.

Too much rubbish goes on in this particular forum. It is such an unfriendly place.

OV and P&O aare part of the same family. You should be encouraging OV pax to come over. P&O certainly appear to be trying to.

Can i suggest you get rid of the trouble makers that are P&O regulars before you comment on OV pax.:mad:

Like you have no proof of the the stats that you quote.

Too much rubbish goes on in this particular forum. It is such an unfriendly place.

OV and P&O aare part of the same family. You should be encouraging OV pax to come over. P&O certainly appear to be trying to.

Can i suggest you get rid of the trouble makers that are P&O regulars before you comment on OV pax.:mad:

Getting quite used to being snapped at by Di(nosaur)B and his friends:D

Too much rubbish goes on in this particular forum. It is such an unfriendly place. :mad:

Getting quite used to being snapped at by Di(nosaur)B and his friends:D

And I thought it was just me who was being got at for daring to say anything less than overwhelmingly complimentary about Ventura (and I'm not an OV person). Breathe one word of truth and the Dinosaurs come out fighting.

Aren't they just the sort of people you'd HATE to share your dinner table with - been on a couple of cruises and they think they know everything and are therefore entitled to lecture everybody else :p

Archived