What if you don't like formal wear?

Fred66

I agree with other comments regarding 'Dressing Up'.Really you should have gone for a ship where casual wear is the norm.You will be able to find Restaurants on Ventura where Casual is OK even on Formal nights.But you should remember that in Bars Theatres and Night Clubs and other Public Rooms the vast majority of people will be 'Dressed Up'.Even in Ventura's relaxed atmosphere you will be in the minority .Dressing Up is part of Cruising . Give it a try you will find that it only adds to the experience.:confused:

Noblemount

Why do people like you assume that people who don't want to 'dress up' will like it if only we give it a try? Some of us do it far too often in a work context for us to want to do it on holiday. The thought of another black tie dinner whilst supposedly on holiday smacks too much of business to me - as far as I am concerned my evening dresses are work clothes (and no, I don't need to go to George at Asda to buy something cheap that would fit in, though thanks for this helpful advice). I am not alone. Casual cruises are full of people like me who don't do bingo, don't have tattoos, don't drink to excess, etc. Stereotypes might help one feel superior but why not try one of these cruises to appreciate the destination rich itineraries and see what you are missing? Many people on 'informal' ships are used to formal occasions but choose to do something different on holiday

It isn't what cruising is about to everyone, I'm afraid, only what old style cruising is about. I've tried it with my earlier cruises and I don't like being told what to wear and when I have to report for supper when I'm on holiday, especially when I've had a long day out in port exploring what the great wide world has to offer. Personally I don't feel the need to conform to society's expectations, I am a free spirit. I find it patronising to say the least that people assume that because you don't want to dine formally that you are a lesser person who just needs to try it to find themselves part of the club.

I have been following the P and O forum as I was seriously considering a fjords cruise this summer but the attitude of some people on this forum makes me feel that perhaps Fred Olsen may be a better choice. Same formality but there seems to be far less snobbery on their forum?

Sorry for the rant. If I didn't have a chip on the shoulder before, this thread is surely giving me one. Why are people on this forum so narrow-minded???

People like me lurk on this forum to assess the situation. Not because we want to go against the norm for the ship and 'stand out like a sore thumb' but merely to see if this is an open-minded alternative where we can enjoy our preferred style of cruising without contradicting the ethos of the ship. Obviously this is not possible with P and O and I, like others, will probably now be looking elsewhere.

As I am soon to lose my own preferred brand of Ocean Village (not seen a lager-lout yet or indeed any bad behaviour whatsoever in 3 cruises with them) I think I need to look to other lines for my fix of 3 cruises per annum. I just hope for everybody's sake that P and O can continue to find enough people of the 'old school' to keep their ever increasing fleet in business without having to chase the money to the other side of the world.

The great thing about cruising is that there are so many choices. History_addict, it's clear that P&O is not the right cruise line for you; but that's OK, there are plenty of others, and you are quite right to exercise your right to choose one of them. I sincerely hope that you won't take too many bad vibes away from this forum. That said, since P&O is a more traditional line, it's not too surprising that it attracts people who prefer that traditional environment.

But wherever & with whoever you eventually choose to cruise, I hope your cruises are enjoyable.

HistoryAddict, I understand how you feel about so called dressing-up - why put your work clothes on when on holiday.

And I understand Noblemount too - dressing up is an occasion which is only provided by cruises.

But can I give both of you an invaluable piece of advice passed to me by my father many years ago :D

"Have nothing to do with a man who doesn't tie his own tie and wears one of those ready-made things on a piece of elastic."

Separates the men from the boys, the sheep from the goats and the wannabees from a real gentleman.

I don't know why my father always used to say this because he never tied his tie himself in his life - he always had to get my mother

to do it for him, and since he was over six foot tall and my mother was just over five foot, it was quite a funny sight.

But at least he didn't wear a ready made one.

When people-watching on a cruise, I've always found that those who try to pose the most are also those wearing the funny ties.

I almost expect them to light up and revolve like a clown's tie :p

_

Hi Tom

Thanks for your comments. My cruises are always great whatever the style of cruise line as I like to think I go with an open mind and flexibility of approach. I can fit into every environment. I'm looking forward to many more happy cruises over the years and have a large number of must-see destinations on my list to either visit for the first time or re-visit in more detail. To me cruising is about adventure not formality.

Alas, you say there are many choices in the cruising world but the choices for people like me are becoming increasingly more limited if you don't like the rather shabby, cramped accommodation on Thomson (counter-balanced by their excellent shows and good excursions) or the riotous kids on the Italian lines. This is why you are getting people on this forum putting their toe in the water to test the temperature (cold at times!). I'd appreciate any (constructive) comments on where us informal cruisers should turn to post-OV!

Life for me is what you make it and new experiences are to be embraced and not shunned...

,, To Mr, Ms, Mrs Fred get yourself a Suit from George @ Asda and dress -- This is NOT a Royal Carribbean cruise Line --its a line of *lost* people who all seem to be sturggling with class barriers .......... :rolleyes: Very sad.

Our first formal cruise , we did dress for Capts dinner and did enjoy .. BUT it was such a small part of the holiday -- :)

For our next cruise we studied the variuos Lines available and decided on OCEAN VILLAGE (No doubt Fred, some here will point out its the 'Bultins poor peoples cruise' ,as compared to The P & O George @ Asda Cruise).

Two points I would like to make .. I think the majority of the posters here have bickered, been unhelpfull and not nice .

You have booked your cruise for its Ports -it has a family room and any other criteria that suits you and your family. Those that have succeeded in trying to spoil this for you , would be fish out of water if on a TOP CRUISE boat. So take no notice, do your own thing . wear what you want to wear --(is this an all inclusive Boat?? , some of the cheaper Lines are) go to the Buffet bar - --its its NOT all inlcusive --then their is no way they will decline your money .....................thats why this ship spends less time in Ports , so you spend more money on it.

Yes there is ettiquette and standards and if the George & Asdas want to eat with the Capt . go along, ------ Eat with your fingers or similar -- may be that is acceptable as long as you are dressed correctly as that seems to be theee most important thing .

I will be doing my 4th OCEAN VILLAGE (5th) cruise in Sept. Shame you never checked it out .. Much bigger cabins . you CAN *sling a cat in them* .And thier is NO class barrier on it, so much more friendly and much more fun. Every and each walk of life mixes well and enjoys them selves

I think their there would be some huge shocks awaiting the George & Asdas once OCEAN VILLAGE has gone .............. as we will all need another *cheap Butlins* cruise --and P & O may well fit the bill :rolleyes:

So Fred -- if you dont enjoy it this time (I am sure you will) Try in a couple of years when their will be more *normal people* on board who do not flaunt airs /graces and opinions.

At the end of the day -you spend least time on the boat --you are on your cruise to have the opportunity to see and enjoy as many places you can in your 2 weeks. The boat is only somewhere to wash /sleep and drink --oh and eat (if wearing correct atttire :confused:)

Good Luck with your cruise --Hope you are made welcome on board too xx

PS The lady who bought her Frock from a Charity shop (well done!! these shops all need our support) I would have paid for the frock and asked the shop to put money in their funds and let them keep the dress.................

Unfortunately what you have in this forum are poeple who like to comment on Ocean Village but who have not actually been on any of their cruises or ships. Having done both OV and P&O (ok it was Oceana) there is not an awful lot to seperate OV and the freedom dining of P&O. I would not dare comment on Arcadia et al as i have never been on any of the other ships.

To say P&O is not the cruise company for someone is utter rubbish. If i hadn't already done a P&O cruise and came on this board to lurk, i wouldn't have touched P&O with a bragepole.

Why can you lot not embrace each other rather than making stupid and sarcastic comments about posts. As far as i can see this is the only board that does this. Not only do you let P&O down but you make yourselves look like a very miserable bunch of people.

To say P&O is not the cruise company for someone is utter rubbish.

I think that remark was directed at me, since I made such a comment in my reply to History_Addict.

In no way way was I being elitist, classist, or anything like that. However, given that P&O likes to promote a more formal approach to cruising - 4 formal nights in 2 weeks, for instance - and given also that History_addict prefers a casual approach - my comment was simply to suggest that that doesn't sound like a good fit of expectations and desires, on either side. Similarly, I don't think I would be a good fit with OV or Oceania - I positively enjoy, and relish, the more formal approach. So I would have no problem saying that 'Oceania was not the cruise line for me', nor would I object if someone else said it - it would be a truthful statement.

I think that remark was directed at me, since I made such a comment in my reply to History_Addict.

In no way way was I being elitist, classist, or anything like that. However, given that P&O likes to promote a more formal approach to cruising - 4 formal nights in 2 weeks, for instance - and given also that History_addict prefers a casual approach - my comment was simply to suggest that that doesn't sound like a good fit of expectations and desires, on either side. Similarly, I don't think I would be a good fit with OV or Oceania - I positively enjoy, and relish, the more formal approach. So I would have no problem saying that 'Oceania was not the cruise line for me', nor would I object if someone else said it - it would be a truthful statement.

Acknowledged and partly agree. I think my problem was that you said P&O is not for them. I would disagree in that as i think that apart from the dress code, Oceana offers a similar experience to OV. So perhaps to an extent you are right in that Arcadia, Artemis are not for them, but maybe Oceana and Ventura could be?

Well I've just received my last ever Ocean Village cruise brochure. Accompanying it was a letter entitled "Something to think about for after 2010......"

It starts and I quote.

"P&O Cruises - Of all the P&O Cruises superliners, Oceana and Ventura are the closest match to Ocean Village. They're fun and informal with plenty of dining choices so that you can eat when and where you like. There's also cool bars and spas, nightclubs, children's clubs and Ventura even has bungee trampolines."

It then continues as an after-thought

"Of course, all of this is complemented by some of the time-honoured cruising traditions like afternoon tea and the occasional formal night. "

So given thousands of said letters have been sent out to past OV passengers and stating that its the closest match to ocean Village reinforces what has already been said.

On these ships the fun and informal ships where you can eat when and where you like with the add on of an occasional formal night.

Unfortunately what you have in this forum are poeple who like to comment on Ocean Village but who have not actually been on any of their cruises or ships. Having done both OV and P&O (ok it was Oceana) there is not an awful lot to seperate OV and the freedom dining of P&O. I would not dare comment on Arcadia et al as i have never been on any of the other ships.

To say P&O is not the cruise company for someone is utter rubbish. If i hadn't already done a P&O cruise and came on this board to lurk, i wouldn't have touched P&O with a bragepole.

Why can you lot not embrace each other rather than making stupid and sarcastic comments about posts. As far as i can see this is the only board that does this. Not only do you let P&O down but you make yourselves look like a very miserable bunch of people.

Well said Matty, there is at least two people on this board who regularly knock Ventura even though they have never set foot on her. Needless to say they are followers of Cunard.

Well I've just received my last ever Ocean Village cruise brochure. Accompanying it was a letter entitled "Something to think about for after 2010......"

It starts and I quote.

"P&O Cruises - Of all the P&O Cruises superliners, Oceana and Ventura are the closest match to Ocean Village. They're fun and informal with plenty of dining choices so that you can eat when and where you like. There's also cool bars and spas, nightclubs, children's clubs and Ventura even has bungee trampolines."

It then continues as an after-thought

"Of course, all of this is complemented by some of the time-honoured cruising traditions like afternoon tea and the occasional formal night. "

So given thousands of said letters have been sent out to past OV passengers and stating that its the closest match to ocean Village reinforces what has already been said.

On these ships the fun and informal ships where you can eat when and where you like with the add on of an occasional formal night.

Thanks for that information - that is sending a very mixed message out to potential passengers. As far as I can see the only differences between Oceana, Ventura and the rest of the PO flreet are these:-

a) they do Freedom dining (but so will Azura);

b) there are no semi-formal evenings.

The actual number of 'Formal Evenings' is the same: 4 per 14 night cruise, 2 per 7 night cruise.

I wouldn't actually describe Ventura as 'fun and informal'; not as I understand the terms, anyway.

Exactly and as OV disappears more informal orientated cruisers will start to go on Ventura in 2010 with that mindset and I think we will see a diminish of the formal nights.

Maybe just in one restaurant and not the ship. I think P&O Aus call them cocktail nights.

As a Thompsons cruiser (never mind the ships) the solution looks obvious to me.

When Ocean Village goes simply change the formal night dress code in Oceana and Ventura to 'formal dress code applies in xxxx restaurants only' elsewhere in the ship the normal smart casual applies.

Then they only need to get rid of the long haul from Southampton.

As a Thompsons cruiser (never mind the ships) the solution looks obvious to me.

When Ocean Village goes simply change the formal night dress code in Oceana and Ventura to 'formal dress code applies in xxxx restaurants only' elsewhere in the ship the normal smart casual applies.

Sounds a sensible idea Dave. Then those who want a more traditional boat-wide cruise can go on Azura, Artemis, Arcadia... etc.. Actually why not just make it any ship starting with A formal and non-A's informal :D

Fully agree with you Dave, the thought of driving to Southampton from Manchester to then spend 2 days cruising the English Channel before you get to the med is even less appealing than the enforced wearing of penguin suits:D.

Such a shame as P&O have some lovely ships and I am sure the posters on this forum are not fully representive of their passengers.

Fortunately other cruise companies will be offering med fly cruises from Manchester, shame we will be paying with $ on board

I am sure the posters on this forum are not fully representive of their passengers.

I think we are all fully representative of the diversity of their passengers :D

Have you not noticed that few people agree with eachother. And if they do agree today, they won't tomorrow?

Well said Matty, there is at least two people on this board who regularly knock Ventura even though they have never set foot on her. Needless to say they are followers of Cunard.

who is that then?

Not our Gerry,as he has been on Ventura and still knocks her.:rolleyes:

NCL Jade could be a good alternative for OV passengers.... she seems to fir the bill with casual cruising? BUT, you won't hear OV pushing their passengers towards NCL .

OV belongs to Carnival PLC as does PANDO , so they will push future custom towards Ventura and Oceana - surely thats obvious - and the reason why semi-formal nights have been dropped on these 2 ships and freedom dining introduced....:rolleyes:

Fully agree with you Dave, the thought of driving to Southampton from Manchester to then spend 2 days cruising the English Channel before you get to the med is even less appealing than the enforced wearing of penguin suits:D.quote]

Not everyone wants to fly, and pando from Southampton is ideal for all these people,

luggage weight restrictions,sitting around in airports, driving 100miles to a airport, fuss about liquids in hand baggage, sitting for hours on end on a plane.... nah, I'll sail from Southampton thanks, the 2 days at sea are great for exploring and getting to know the ship before the first port of call,

If you want to comeon our ships.play by our rules LOL !:D

All I can add is if you don't want to dress up don't go on a ship that requires it & if you think that 2 days cruising to the Med is a hardship then perhaps cruising is not a good choice of holiday, most people that pick cruising as a holiday enjoy actual cruising

All I can add is if you don't want to dress up don't go on a ship that requires it & if you think that 2 days cruising to the Med is a hardship then perhaps cruising is not a good choice of holiday, most people that pick cruising as a holiday enjoy actual cruising

Sailing from Southampton on Ventura gives each passenger 2 or 3 days to distingush the snobs from the yobs, and form their own cliques so by the time they arrive in the med they have all had a chance to identify the "casual" cruiser and are then able to ridicule them for the rest of the cruise for not wearing their "George suit". Lord of the flies on sea

Fully agree with you Dave, the thought of driving to Southampton from Manchester to then spend 2 days cruising the English Channel before you get to the med is even less appealing than the enforced wearing of penguin suits:D.quote]

Not everyone wants to fly, and pando from Southampton is ideal for all these people,

luggage weight restrictions,sitting around in airports, driving 100miles to a airport, fuss about liquids in hand baggage, sitting for hours on end on a plane.... nah, I'll sail from Southampton thanks, the 2 days at sea are great for exploring and getting to know the ship before the first port of call,

If you want to comeon our ships.play by our rules LOL !:D

Ahh but you just check-in at the airport, maybe a pre-flight night in a hotel. No problems about weight restrictions as no need for fancy outfits. Have a drink on the plane and land in Spain 2.5hrs later. Ov's first day is always at sea to explore, except its in the sun so you can also relax and sunbathe!

Archived