What if you don't like formal wear?

Fred66

With the eventual demise of Ocean Village the best solution IMO is for P&O to adopt the Thomsons policy of having the dress code apply only to the restaurants on formal night. This makes everybody happy and you can rush back to your cabin to get rid of the dreaded dinner suit then enjoy the rest of the evening.

Then all they need to do is introduce fly cruises, OV cruisers won't be happy being dragged all the way from Southampton

Oh yes, a simple taxi/trip to your local regional airport and enjoying the med/caribbean sun same day on arrival in the afternoon with your first cocktail/pint is a must.

With the eventual demise of Ocean Village the best solution IMO is for P&O to adopt the Thomsons policy of having the dress code apply only to the restaurants on formal night. This makes everybody happy and you can rush back to your cabin to get rid of the dreaded dinner suit then enjoy the rest of the evening.

Then all they need to do is introduce fly cruises, OV cruisers won't be happy being dragged all the way from Southampton

Sorry Dave, but I am not keen on that idea. It takes me that long to get dressed up to the nines, the thought of taking the gladrags off after a couple of hours is unthinkable. With some people changing and some not it would be a terrible hotch potch, and unsatisfactory for everybody concerned.

Sorry Dave, but I am not keen on that idea. It takes me that long to get dressed up to the nines, the thought of taking the gladrags off after a couple of hours is unthinkable. With some people changing and some not it would be a terrible hotch potch, and unsatisfactory for everybody concerned.

Totally agree with Stopgo :eek: thats twice this week now!

I forgot to mention that it would apply only to the Ventura and Oceana. The rest of the fleet and the new Azura would maintain the current code.

With so many opinions people like me and others who have booked their first cruise would not sail .My husband does not do suits but he does own one so will wear it .If you go out for a meal at home you dress smart ,people should be able to dress how you want depending on the event .Iam very worried about the dress code and looking out of place please give a thought for people who are trying something for the first time help us not have a go if we dont have the tiaras and diomonds :confused::confused:

I was recently surprised by leaflets from cruise agents selling P&O cruises at very, very reduced rates. I do not think P&O are doing well at present. OK it is partly the economy, but comparing prices with say Fred Olsen. P&O have dropped much further. When they take Azura onboard next year the situation will probably get worse.

It may well be that like it or not P&O will divide its fleet in half with some ships traditional and others casual and with open sitting just to attract cruisers (people like us say) who are beginning to stray from P&O towards the US lines for this very reason. I don't think the alternative which seems to work with US ships of mixing traditional and open, and formal and casual will work when one reads some of the threads on this subject.

Before I get flamed we always dress up on formal nights (although we would rather not) though less bothered by this than semi formal and indeed have a booking on Artemis next year for the Amazon - our fifth cruise with P&O. It is largely true that all the expensive lines and most of the mid priced lines have gone along the more informal route of open sitting or mixed, and no semi formal - some even with semi formal but not formal. Many people do indeed like dressing up, but yearly it is getting less and poor P&O (and indeed lines like Fred Olsen) are going to have to balance the rules and regulations somehow.

The old cry that why go on P&O go with someone else does not really hold water. Apart from the traditional factor of formal it is still a very good line when compared with others and no-one likes everything about every line. Again you have to balance the books as it were when choosing a cruise.

Fred go and enjoy yourself. On our P&O cruises we have seen people at formal evenings dressed informally and eating in the Lido. You will not be out of place there, and later in the evening many of the formal people will have changed - or at least the men will or they will have retired early to bed.

With so many opinions people like me and others who have booked their first cruise would not sail .My husband does not do suits but he does own one so will wear it .If you go out for a meal at home you dress smart ,people should be able to dress how you want depending on the event .Iam very worried about the dress code and looking out of place please give a thought for people who are trying something for the first time help us not have a go if we dont have the tiaras and diomonds :confused::confused:

Hi Novice cruisers, there really is nothing to worry about. Follow the advice given in the brochure with the company you are sailing with (rather than opinions) and you wont go far wrong.

On here, we all have differing opinions. the cruise line will inform you of what is expected and what is not.

Cheers

Gerry

Hi Novice cruisers, there really is nothing to worry about. Follow the advice given in the brochure with the company you are sailing with (rather than opinions) and you wont go far wrong.

On here, we all have differing opinions. the cruise line will inform you of what is expected and what is not.

Cheers

Gerry

Good advice from Gerry (as usual) - forums attract people who are not necessarily representative of those that you actually meet on board, and the finer points are often discussed at length, often interpersed with a little wishing thinking. Oh, and in case you are concerned, daywear is roughly the same range as you would see on an average day in Tesco, ie anything from tea dresses and hats to shorts, via jeans and t-shirts.

I hope you have a wonderful time, and please stop worrying.

Mary

Good advice from Gerry (as usual) - forums attract people who are not necessarily representative of those that you actually meet on board, and the finer points are often discussed at length, often interpersed with a little wishing thinking. Oh, and in case you are concerned, daywear is roughly the same range as you would see on an average day in Tesco, ie anything from tea dresses and hats to shorts, via jeans and t-shirts.

I hope you have a wonderful time, and please stop worrying.

Mary

Mary

In our local Tesco, next door to the Kentucky Fried Partridge. I have found the dress level to be a little grander than experience on board P&O ships. Particularly that worn by the shoplifters.

regards

Cb

Thanks for that we are going on the ventura next june .I am really looking forward to it but sometimes reading some of the things people write does put me off .Ilike to look nice like anyone else but also to feel comfortable .once on board we will get an idea so the secret is i suppose is to take a bit of everything .val:D

I was recently surprised by leaflets from cruise agents selling P&O cruises at very, very reduced rates. I do not think P&O are doing well at present. OK it is partly the economy, but comparing prices with say Fred Olsen. P&O have dropped much further. When they take Azura onboard next year the situation will probably get worse.

It may well be that like it or not P&O will divide its fleet in half with some ships traditional and others casual and with open sitting just to attract cruisers (people like us say) who are beginning to stray from P&O towards the US lines for this very reason.

I am not aware that P&O are cutting their prices more than any other brand. I give this advert as an example. Fred Olson has cut much more deeply.

http://www.cruise.co.uk/cruise-holidays/2009-standby-cruises/?utm_source=150509&utm_medium=Standby20&utm_campaign=E

By all accounts the bookings are on par with the past. It is notiacble that IoS is very deeply discounted bot reports would have it that the extras are highly priced eg. booze, shore excursions and shuttle buses. Added to that you are paying in $ and so suffering the poor exchange rate.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

... forums attract people who are not necessarily representative of those that you actually meet on board ...

Mary

Ain't that a fact !!

I just heard from someone who's been on Aurora. Apparently the stewards would not serve anyone in most of the bars who was not wearing a jacket on the semi-formal nights (the sports bar being the only exception). Good for P&O. There is mounting evidence of a two-tier fleet developing -- Ventura & Oceana, and the rest.

There is mounting evidence of a two-tier fleet developing -- Ventura & Oceana, and the rest.

No there isn't.

Let me repeat my own observations. I have been on both Oriana and Ventura, and I did not observe any difference in public demeanour or behaviour between the two.

No there isn't.

Let me repeat my own observations. I have been on both Oriana and Ventura, and I did not observe any difference in public demeanour or behaviour between the two.

Quite right Tom,

Some people talk a whole load of garbage regarding the differences between ships.:mad:

Remember the best ship in the P&O fleet is the one you are on or are on next.

:cool:

Dai

Woe betide us poor old bilge rats if we dont wear penguin suits and dickie bows on formal evenings:D

You'll be sentenced to the scuppers!

(Actually, that could be a good idea for the next P&O speciality restaurant... "Introducing - The Scuppers; where you can dine on traditional sea-faring delicacies such as boiled rat, diced ship's cat and weevils & biscuit! (Please note that an additional charge will apply for dining at this restaurant and for any medical attention you may require subsequently.)"

I have cruised 10 times with Pincess where the majority dress up in tuxes and kilts on formal nights and every one is totally relaxed , but I have never come across this "us" and "them" attitude on these boards before.

We are cruising on Ventura on the 12th of June, our first time with P&O, so will go on with an open mind and have a wonderful cruise.

I have cruised 10 times with Pincess where the majority dress up in tuxes and kilts on formal nights and every one is totally relaxed , but I have never come across this "us" and "them" attitude on these boards before.

We are cruising on Ventura on the 12th of June, our first time with P&O, so will go on with an open mind and have a wonderful cruise.

I would take some of what you read on here with a pinch of salt.

Dai

• 2 weeks later...
Hi there Scorpio

Yes if you see me do say hello (don't know what you look like so i can't look out for you)

I am holding a get together for cruisechat members from the pando site, here and crowsnest site at noon on the first day at sea - Sunday in the Crows Nest, if you have nothing planned do come along I'll be in there then till about 1pm...

Sue

Sorry to hijack this again everyone - but just needed to explain to you Sue that I am so sorry we didn't manage to meet up on the Sunday. I was really poorly until after Vigo - went down with some sort of flu bug after sailaway. Spent most of Sunday fast asleep and didn't really recover until Tuesday morning. Still - had a wonderful cruise and hope you enjoyed it as much as we did. I did look out for you but failed to spot you.

Maybe next time .... :)

Hi there

Ah, what a shame you couldn't come. Just made a album up of the cruise, a few photos of me there, do you recognize us?

http://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/Oriana23May2009?authkey=Gv1sRgCOqh5Ye3pN7sEQ#5342461528464515826

The noro virus outbreak was a pain wasn't it? , cancelled chocoholics, and galley tour, closure of Al Fresco and numerous deck toilet closures for cleaning, plus the sheer fear of catching it while at sea for 3 days!:eek:

Archived