What if you don't like formal wear?

Fred66

Hi all

I'm new to cruising and will be on my 1st in October on the Oceana but I'm so confused. The brocure and web site state that on formal evenings, formal wear is across the board. Restuarants, bars everything.... is this not the case..........

It does say that, and that what's P&O want passengers to do. The arguments here centre around those who don't like that policy but still want to cruise on P&O ships.

Hi all

I'm new to cruising and will be on my 1st in October on the Oceana but I'm so confused. The brocure and web site state that on formal evenings, formal wear is across the board. Restuarants, bars everything.... is this not the case..........

Yes this is still the case and you will find that 99%+ will follow the code with 95% of men wearing DJ's.

Enjoy your cruise

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

Yes formal dress is expected throughout the ship on formal nights, and without it the main restaurants and some bars will not serve you.

The ss restaurant and the pub being the exception.

If that's true I can see the solicitors sharpening their pencils! I hope you are not sited as a witness for the defence!

Discrimination on a British ship, who decides the fashion police? What if I take my tie off after dinner, must I leave it around my neck to be served? What if I've spilt gravy (sorry bullabaise) down my shirt, do I walk around with it stained like Les Patterson to get a drink?

c'mon get real!

Libralass and others. Just leave it. Some people will simply never get it. Doesnt matter how often they read it in the brochure or see it for themselves (if they actually sail on Arcadia as opposed to trying to wind everyone up!).

As to solicitors- good effort, nice try- but its all crystal clear in writing the brochure which should be read before signing up for the cruise.

Whilst its 99% now dress up you have to remember that both OV ships are still running. Starting end of this year on Oceana and Ventura as more people drift over that 99% will become lower. There will be an increase in the people at the SS restuarant and in casual on formal nights and eventually the management will sway to public pressure. As soon as that gets to 50/50 and they ditch the formal nights on these ships then the floodgates will open and that 50% will wittle away as well..

I can bet know that in a years time there will not be anywhere near 99% onboard Ventura/Oceana dressing for formal dinner.

Many ex OVers have already started booking Oceana/Ventura so the tide will turn despite the PandO luddites trying to put spanners in the works.

I've said it before if carnival want to save the BrandName "P&O" they have to re-brand the two ships and have a clear demarkation between the two fun, relaxing ships and the rest for the traditionalists.

It does say that, and that what's P&O want passengers to do. The arguments here centre around those who don't like that policy but still want to cruise on P&O ships.

Not quite correct Tom. The argument is Carnival UK are closing their UK casual cruise brand due to old 20+years inefficient ships and that money has been spent on new builds Ventura and Azura which they can't fill spaces for.

They are actively promoting Oceana and Ventura as replacements for Ocean Village passengers including literature that incldes formal nights as a traditional add-on for those interested.

They have started changing this by dropping semi-formal nights and will eventually drop compulsary nights on these two ships.

The argument is therefore traditional PandO cruisers trying to persuade casual cruisers away from these two ships to avoid "casualising" the brand as they fear once two ships go and they still make money that Carnival may apply the same to the rest of the fleet.

Carnival in the UK already has a devoted traditionalist line called Cunard, why does it need two?

............I've said it before if carnival want to save the BrandName "P&O" they have to re-brand the two ships and have a clear demarkation between the two fun, relaxing ships and the rest for the traditionalists.

When Island Escape joined Thomsons it was featured in their brochures but not now. They now have a separate brochure which suggests that the casual style is distinct from their normal one formal night. P&O need to pursue the same strategy to avoid terrible confusion once OV ceases, plus introduce fly cruises. I would be happy to spend my money on a beautiful modern ship but NOT at the expense of bowing to the fashion police. So for now I continue to cruise with Thomson which is their gain and P&O's loss!

They are actively promoting Oceana and Ventura as replacements for Ocean Village passengers including literature that incldes formal nights as a traditional add-on for those interested.

Are they?

I have not seen these promotions, can you tell me where I can find them please?

Thanks

Gerry

Not quite correct Tom. The argument is Carnival UK are closing their UK casual cruise brand due to old 20+years inefficient ships and that money has been spent on new builds Ventura and Azura which they can't fill spaces for.

They have started changing this by dropping semi-formal nights and will eventually drop compulsary nights on these two ships.

The argument is therefore traditional PandO cruisers trying to persuade casual cruisers away from these two ships to avoid "casualising" the brand as they fear once two ships go and they still make money that Carnival may apply the same to the rest of the fleet.

Carnival in the UK already has a devoted traditionalist line called Cunard, why does it need two?

Craig - they are simply ignoring what we are saying here, they just cannot see / dont want to see what is happening to 'their' cruise line.

They have not done enough yet to attract these 2 ov cruisers yet,

we do hope they make the extra effort as I cannot see them filling all those cabins on the new build ships otherwise.

Are they?

Thanks

Gerry

Gerry - we had a new brochure from them, they are pushing the carnival brands in the covering letter as well as in the brochure.

Yes this is still the case and you will find that 99%+ will follow the code with 95% of men wearing DJ's.

Enjoy your cruise

Dai

Where do you get these figures? That wasn't the case on Oceana last year.

Where do you get these figures? That wasn't the case on Oceana last year.

From observing, on our last 13 cruises.

And reading other peoples experiences.

Dai

So you are not booking a PandO cruise then?

No just expressing shock at the abhorrent snobbery amongst some cruisers because someone who has booked with P&O had the audacity to say they don't like dressing formally for dinner - you'd have thought they were trying to commit piracy , the way some posters have commented on others in here , you can see them looking down there nose at them - as i also said , those views put people off cruising , but from what i've read on this thread that would suit most who like the cosy little closed shop , no matter m, business has already gone casual mostly and the same will happen to cruises :D:D

Anyway i don't think i could cope with the comments my tattoos would attract :(:(:(

Aye right !!!!! :p

No just expressing shock at the abhorrent snobbery amongst some cruisers :p

Iain, be kinder. Remember that some people live such sad little lives that it gives their egos a tremendous boost to be able to look down on somebody else :D

For myself, I think that anybody who regularly dresses for dinner at home (and maintains these standards in private, despite things changing in the real world) is morally entitled to lecture me on how things should be done. On the other hand, somebody who just goes on a cruise to ape their betters is in no position to point out the error of my ways :D

From observing, on our last 13 cruises.

Dai

Wow, is that due to the time it takes to get waiter service you can look around the whole restaurant. Or as I've heard from someone who has been on P&O cruises Formal Dinner is about the ladies checking out what the other ladies are wearing. Personally I go to dinner to eat not to worry about other peoples appearances.

When OV winds up, cruisers who loved OV will have to make a decision what to do next, they can cruise RCI, which seems to be slightly less formal than p&o, there's NCL which looks quite modern and they don't do formal as much, or you can come to P&O or Cunard but you know when you book what your getting, formal nights, so buy a dinner suit, or bring your lounge suit and join in. Can't see the problem, the choice is there for all. If you don't play along you will fill uncomfortable as most people will be dressed up.

..........Just as I would feel uncomfortable wearing a long dress on OV now.....be different expect being eyed up!

What if it was the other way around? What if Carnival decided that P&O was to cease as a brand and OV was to adopt the P&O dress code?

Can you imagine the howls of protest from OV cruisers at this change? How dare Carnival impose this on us! We don't want this change! Etc. etc.

The OV cruisers on this thread who are so quick to name call those of us who do prefer the more traditional cruise experience would react in exactly the same way.

So before you embark in another senseless name calling post, engage brain and ask yourself 'what if'

Debbie:)

(a non-luddite, v. early 40's, non-George@Asda wearing, unsnobby individual, who also happens to cruise as a family - with a child:eek: and loves the more traditional cruise experience)

Are they?

Thanks

Gerry

Gerry the following is an extract from the letter sent to 10s of thousands of OV cruisers with the latest brochure.

Accompanying it was a letter entitled "Something to think about for after 2010......"

It starts and I quote.

"P&O Cruises - Of all the P&O Cruises superliners, Oceana and Ventura are the closest match to Ocean Village. They're fun and informal with plenty of dining choices so that you can eat when and where you like. There's also cool bars and spas, nightclubs, children's clubs and Ventura even has bungee trampolines."

It then continues as an after-thought

"Of course, all of this is complemented by some of the time-honoured cruising traditions like afternoon tea and the occasional formal night. "

So tens of thousands of OV passengers receive a letter saying that Oceana and Ventura are the closest match and are FUN and INFORMAL!

Now if I went on there and was told I couldn't eat someone and there wasn't an informal option on formal nights that could be referred to trading standards as misleading advertising. The TA's have also received literature from Carnival to persuad ex-OV cruisers when they try and book beyond 2010!

What if it was the other way around? What if Carnival decided that P&O was to cease as a brand and OV was to adopt the P&O dress code?

Can you imagine the howls of protest from OV cruisers at this change? How dare Carnival impose this on us! We don't want this change! Etc. etc.

The OV cruisers on this thread who are so quick to name call those of us who do prefer the more traditional cruise experience would react in exactly the same way.

So before you embark in another senseless name calling post, engage brain and ask yourself 'what if'

(a non-luddite, v. early 40's, non-George@Asda wearing, unsnobby individual, who also happens to cruise as a family - with a child:eek: and loves the more traditional cruise experience)

Hold on, we are not suggesting at any stage that Artemis, Aurora, Arcadia, Azura, Oriana should adopt a non-formal approach. We are stating that the parent company have said that two of the current fleet are suited to ex-OV. In an official letter they have stated that they are "Informal and fun" and yet members on this board are suggesting we should go elsewhere armed with Dollars and travel adapters.

If you read all my posts and many on here are simply asking that to preserve both rights that the two ships are re-branded. You'll have 5 to choose from and we wouldn't bother you!

Hold on, we are not suggesting at any stage that Artemis, Aurora, Arcadia, Azura, Oriana should adopt a non-formal approach. We are stating that the parent company have said that two of the current fleet are suited to ex-OV. In an official letter they have stated that they are "Informal and fun" and yet members on this board are suggesting we should go elsewhere armed with Dollars and travel adapters.

If you read all my posts and many on here are simply asking that to preserve both rights that the two ships are re-branded. You'll have 5 to choose from and we wouldn't bother you!

And if you read my last post properly....never mind I can't be bothered explaining:rolleyes:

Carry on arguing amongst yourselves

You have missed the point. Ocean Village has never ever been anything else than casual. P&O is attempting to be both. Your scenario just wouldnt happen. P&O used to be 100% formal. It is slowly dumbing down on two ships. That is the issue here.

Thanks for helping with the stereotype:D

Archived