What if you don't like formal wear?

Fred66

Thank you for all the feedback - and support (Stopgo!!). I will take up Nippysweetie suggestion and see if I can cadge a suitable dress( I am a female Fred!!) so I can try one of the evenings and see how we get on From other comments I have read you can get away with wearing the same outfit more than once so I could even up up going to all of them! Don't worry Poppy123 I have no intention of going to the Captain's Do!!

I wouldn't want spend the formal evenings in an area where everyone else was formally dressed through. I can see that that would be inappropariate and we might well feel uncomfortable and out of place. Are there public rooms where we could spend the evening and be less likely to be surrounded by cocktail dresses?

Surely four formal nights do not make a cruise ship a "Formal Cruise"! We can wear what we like in the day, something smart enough for 10 evenings and have this issue for just four evenings out of the fourteen. I have researched the type of cruise that I think will suit our family and Ventura ticks most of the boxes. We knew that Cunard would not be for us!!!

I think you need to re-read the thread as the OP was enquiring as to alternate venues onboard which didn't have a dress-code. I don't believe she had any intention to try and dine in a formal restaurant not wearing the formal outfit.

With work I've stayed at many 5-star hotels who have a dress code in the restaurant but also allow ordering of meals in the bar area. In the hotel you can walk around to your room/down to the spa/gym not wearing formal garb and the expectation is that on a cruise ship would be the same.

If Formal wear is required throughout the ship then why allow non-formal in the buffet, if the ship has a gym/cinema can you not walk the corridor to the location in smart casual clothes.

Nah-I only need to read it once. Thank you though. The post quoted above shows me that there was every intention to do exactly as I thought. And I feel it is a bad idea.

It does look like the OP is finished with this thread though so maybe we are all wasting our breath. I dunno.

As I said earlier, the rules may state dress code after 6pm but they unofficially turn a blind eye to smart casual in the buffets, also dress code really only applies to all open public areas, not lifts between floors & access corridors, that would obviously be silly.

As I said earlier, the rules may state dress code after 6pm but they unofficially turn a blind eye to smart casual in the buffets, also dress code really only applies to all open public areas, not lifts between floors & access corridors, that would obviously be silly.

AAhhhhhhh unofficially, that would be it, cos the book now does say all restaurants.

But there you go if you say its OK it must be.:p

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

this was sent by P&O.....

Thank you for your email.

I can advise that cruise number Nxxxx is anticipated to have 5 x Formal nights and 10 x Smart-Casual nights on board and this will be confirmed upon receipt of your tickets which are sent to your travel agent 2-3 weeks prior to your departure. The order in which these nights take place is determined on board by the Cruise Director and then advertised each day in the ship's newspaper. It is not compulsory to join in on the theme nights, for example, western or 60's. The dress code for each night is applicable to all passengers in all areas of the ship except for the 24 hour restaurant, so if you did not feel up to dressing up that particular evening, this is always an option.

Formal: This is the opportunity for ladies to wear formal evening wear such as an evening dress, trouser suit or a cocktail dress. For men, a dinner jacket or tuxedo are the norm, otherwise a dark suit and tie or a kilt and jacket is fine.

Smart casual: Stylish resort or leisure wear, e.g. casual separates dresses or smart jeans for ladies and open-neck shirts, polo shirts and trousers or smart jeans for men. Attire such as shorts, trainers, tracksuits and football shirts should not be worn in the evenings.

The secret of packing is ‘keep it simple’. We hold Formal, Semi-Formal and Smart Casual evenings on board and the occurrences of each type of dress code will vary according to the duration of your cruise. We will send you confirmation with your travel documents. If you forget something, don’t worry as our shops on board carry a wide range of leisurewear and formal clothing.

Daywear.

Casual shirts, shorts, trousers and beachwear are ideal. For going ashore and walking on deck, flat comfortable shoes are a must. You will also need a lightweight jacket or coat for cool evenings and occasional showers. Don’t forget sun protection cream, a sun hat and sunglasses as the sun is much stronger at sea.

Packing a spare pair of glasses and an ample supply of any medicines you are taking is also a good idea.

Formal.

This is the opportunity for ladies to wear formal evening wear such as a ball gown, trouser suit or a cocktail dress. For men, a dinner jacket or tuxedo are the norm, otherwise a dark suit and tie or even a kilt and jacket is fine.

Smart casual.

Stylish resort or leisurewear is ideal, for example casual separates, dresses or smart jeans for ladies and open neck shirts, polo shirts and trousers or smart jeans (not shorts) for men. Men are not required to wear jackets on Smart Casual nights. We would request that sportswear, (e.g. trainers, tracksuits and football shirts) are not worn in the evenings. Bring your brightest clothes for our Tropical evening. Don’t worry if you do forget something as our shops on board carry a wide range of leisure wear and formal clothing. As a guide there are normally four Formal evenings, four Semi-formal evenings and six Smart Casual evenings on a two week cruise. However, in extremely hot temperatures these suggested dress codes may be relaxed. For example, for Artemis, Arcadia, Oceana and Ventura’s Caribbean seasons, there will be four Formal nights and ten Smart Casual nights.

I hope this information has helped to answer your enquiry and look forward to welcoming you on board soon.

Kind regards

P&O Cruises

Carnival UK

UG,

P&O speak with forked tongue. Tell JTD one thing and everyone else the other.:mad:

Dai

this was sent by P&O.....

Thank you for your email.

I can advise that cruise number Nxxxx is anticipated to have 5 x Formal nights and 10 x Smart-Casual nights on board and this will be confirmed upon receipt of your tickets which are sent to your travel agent 2-3 weeks prior to your departure. The order in which these nights take place is determined on board by the Cruise Director and then advertised each day in the ship's newspaper. It is not compulsory to join in on the theme nights, for example, western or 60's. The dress code for each night is applicable to all passengers in all areas of the ship except for the 24 hour restaurant, so if you did not feel up to dressing up that particular evening, this is always an option.

Formal: This is the opportunity for ladies to wear formal evening wear such as an evening dress, trouser suit or a cocktail dress. For men, a dinner jacket or tuxedo are the norm, otherwise a dark suit and tie or a kilt and jacket is fine.

Smart casual: Stylish resort or leisure wear, e.g. casual separates dresses or smart jeans for ladies and open-neck shirts, polo shirts and trousers or smart jeans for men. Attire such as shorts, trainers, tracksuits and football shirts should not be worn in the evenings.

The secret of packing is ‘keep it simple’. We hold Formal, Semi-Formal and Smart Casual evenings on board and the occurrences of each type of dress code will vary according to the duration of your cruise. We will send you confirmation with your travel documents. If you forget something, don’t worry as our shops on board carry a wide range of leisurewear and formal clothing.

Daywear.

Casual shirts, shorts, trousers and beachwear are ideal. For going ashore and walking on deck, flat comfortable shoes are a must. You will also need a lightweight jacket or coat for cool evenings and occasional showers. Don’t forget sun protection cream, a sun hat and sunglasses as the sun is much stronger at sea.

Packing a spare pair of glasses and an ample supply of any medicines you are taking is also a good idea.

Formal.

This is the opportunity for ladies to wear formal evening wear such as a ball gown, trouser suit or a cocktail dress. For men, a dinner jacket or tuxedo are the norm, otherwise a dark suit and tie or even a kilt and jacket is fine.

Smart casual.

Stylish resort or leisurewear is ideal, for example casual separates, dresses or smart jeans for ladies and open neck shirts, polo shirts and trousers or smart jeans (not shorts) for men. Men are not required to wear jackets on Smart Casual nights. We would request that sportswear, (e.g. trainers, tracksuits and football shirts) are not worn in the evenings. Bring your brightest clothes for our Tropical evening. Don’t worry if you do forget something as our shops on board carry a wide range of leisure wear and formal clothing. As a guide there are normally four Formal evenings, four Semi-formal evenings and six Smart Casual evenings on a two week cruise. However, in extremely hot temperatures these suggested dress codes may be relaxed. For example, for Artemis, Arcadia, Oceana and Ventura’s Caribbean seasons, there will be four Formal nights and ten Smart Casual nights.

I hope this information has helped to answer your enquiry and look forward to welcoming you on board soon.

Kind regards

P&O Cruises

Carnival UK

Wow, fantastic, brilliant !!! It has taken 23 pages of bickering but we have finally got an answer to end this thread and I think the answer is sensible and the only way forward. If someone is not feeling to good and does not want to get dressed up, surely there is no need for them to be confined to their cabin and miss their evening meal. Room service maybe ok but is nowhere near the same. I think that those who are dressed up would choose to eat in the main dining room so would not be sat next to anyone in smart casual dress. In conclusion everyone would be happy !

:D

Wow, fantastic, brilliant !!! It has taken 23 pages of bickering but we have finally got an answer to end this thread and I think the answer is sensible and the only way forward. If someone is not feeling to good and does not want to get dressed up, surely there is no need for them to be confined to their cabin and miss their evening meal. Room service maybe ok but is nowhere near the same. I think that those who are dressed up would choose to eat in the main dining room so would not be sat next to anyone in smart casual dress. In conclusion everyone would be happy !

I agree we got there in the end! Its been almost like a parliamentary debate. Right best get off to sort out my duck pond - drying up in this heat. :D

No you have not read what it says in the current and new book all bars and restaurants are to follow the dress code.

It is not clear at all. We are being told different things. How old is JTD's email. Does one part of P&O know what the other is doing?

BTW its page 231 bottom right.

Dai

No you have not read what it says in the current and new book all bars and restaurants are to follow the dress code.

It is not clear at all. We are being told different things. How old is JTD's email. Does one part of P&O know what the other is doing?

BTW its page 231 bottom right.

Dai

I have read the current brochure but the email is more specific. Would it be a problem to you if someone was in the self serve restaurant wearing smart casual on a formal night? How would that spoil anyone's cruise enjoyment? I do not think it would to be honest. It is all about offering options which is very inportant on all cruises and holidays.

I have read the current brochure but the email is more specific. Would it be a problem to you if someone was in the self serve restaurant wearing smart casual on a formal night? How would that spoil anyone's cruise enjoyment? I do not think it would to be honest. It is all about offering options which is very inportant on all cruises and holidays.

But how old is the Email and what do you do the rest of the night, remember the book says all Bars as well as all restautrants.

We still have no clarity

Dai

The e-mail I reproduced was lifted from another forum..a few months ago. It seems to be an unwritten practice that this happens, we talking to an officer on Arcadia about dress amongst other things & he was under the impression that you could dress as you liked in the self serve. I don't see why anyone should want to though, except under certain circumstances like illness, lost luggage or similar.

The e-mail I reproduced was lifted from another forum..a few months ago. It seems to be an unwritten practice that this happens, we talking to an officer on Arcadia about dress amongst other things & he was under the impression that you could dress as you liked in the self serve. I don't see why anyone should want to though, except under certain circumstances like illness, lost luggage or similar.

Therefore with the new guidance in the 2010/11 brochure, your email seems to be out of date.

Therefore there are no restaurants were you can wear what you like on a formal night.

So the message is now clear.

Good

Dai

I don't think it's clear at all, not the way you put it anyway. As far as I know the "rules" were always ''dress code all restaurants & bars after 6pm''..the e-mail was in reply to people asking if there was in reality anywhere they could go. I think it's a shame that people don't wish to dress for dinner & join in, I also think it does spoil the ambiance if people don't dress up, but in the real world as long as they don't ram their preferences down our throats I suppose we should live & let live.

Anyone else starting to get that Deja Vu feeling. This thread could run on and on and ......

Nearly 10,000 views - is it going for a record! :D

It is a shame as for me the whole "dining" thing is well down the list of reasons to do a cruise holiday so wouldn't miss "not joining in".

Have just come back from cruise on Oceana, on Front of Horizon Magazine issued daily on board, it tells you dress code for the night and what to wear on front of mag, on back it states the following.

Our dress code notice for every evening is applicable to all areas of Oceana, but is particularly enforced in the Ligurian & Adriatic Restaurants, and Magnums Bar (deck 7) midships after 6pm. We ask that passengers refrain from wearing sleeveless shirts whilst attending any restuarant or buffet area.

Confusing post ...is it Derek or someone else?...anyway P&O seem to be muddying the already murky waters even more, they say ''applicable'' but then imply they only enforce it in the formal dining rooms & Magnums. The e-mail I reproduced was for the Ventura I think, but Oceana is the same "grade" now & in any case they usually say applies to all ships. Maybe they are tightening up now, I just think we should do as they ask. By the way did the Horizon say "suggested" dress code?

Anyone else starting to get that Deja Vu feeling. This thread could run on and on and ......

Nearly 10,000 views - is it going for a record! :D

It is a shame as for me the whole "dining" thing is well down the list of reasons to do a cruise holiday so wouldn't miss "not joining in".

Interestingly it is very high on our requirements and a good table make our cruise. I suppose that's why dress code seems important. Of course it isn't but good for a discussion.:rolleyes:

If I am in the restaurant I cannot see the people in the buffet so they will not bother me:)

But if someone asks what they should wear then to be fair to them, you should tell them what 99% of the passengers will be wearing. So if they wish to conform or "fit in" they can.

I can only imagine the embarrassment if you were turned away from somewhere.

:)Happy Cruising:)

Dai

Confusing post ...is it Derek or someone else?...anyway P&O seem to be muddying the already murky waters even more, they say ''applicable'' but then imply they only enforce it in the formal dining rooms & Magnums. The e-mail I reproduced was for the Ventura I think, but Oceana is the same "grade" now & in any case they usually say applies to all ships. Maybe they are tightening up now, I just think we should do as they ask. By the way did the Horizon say "suggested" dress code?

No sign of the word suggested on page 231.

Dai

Dining for us is well down our list of reasons for cruising (perhaps that's why my family is so slim!), but that doesn't mean we don't like formal nights. Far from it, but how other people decide to dress has absolutely no bearing on my enjoyment.

The days of full adherence to a specified dress code are long gone. The ships are so much bigger and have so many alternatives that there are an increasing number of new passengers who view a cruise completely differently from say 10 years ago.

The average age of passengers is falling too and they are perhaps more active so dont want to spend each night conversing over dinner and sitting down to do the quizzes after. Certainly not my idea of fun.

Dining for us is well down our list of reasons for cruising (perhaps that's why my family is so slim!), but that doesn't mean we don't like formal nights. Far from it, but how other people decide to dress has absolutely no bearing on my enjoyment.

The days of full adherence to a specified dress code are long gone. The ships are so much bigger and have so many alternatives that there are an increasing number of new passengers who view a cruise completely differently from say 10 years ago.

The average age of passengers is falling too and they are perhaps more active so dont want to spend each night conversing over dinner and sitting down to do the quizzes after. Certainly not my idea of fun.

Not on P&O my experiance over th past 3/4 years is that adherence is better or the same as when we started.

On formal nights 90 to 95+% wear DJ's and the rest a dark suit.

Dai

Dai.. It gets to a point where there is no point in trying to explain to people, they don't understand the concept of 'dinner' as opposed to 'just eating' & also can't see the point of dressing up for it. I mention the word "suggested" as it is usually thrown up when I tell people about the dress code, I believe they not longer use it in Horizons paper. What I would like to hear is from the people who have been arguing about dressing up before they have even been on a cruise & how they got on...I bet they were surprised when faced with a P&O formal dinner with others in all their finery!!

Johnthedog

Going to dinner has never been an excuse for me to dress up. I take pride in what I wear whether it be in the office, going shopping or socialising.

Some people just don't have a clue how to dress (even in formal attire) but I would never be critical of them, just as I hope people wouldn't look down their noses because I choose to wear jeans. I believe I can smartly dress in them when complimented with a proper tailored shirt and fashionable leather shoes. I do not consider that Chino's, a polo shirt and trainers qualify as smart casual but each to their own.

I consider the pre dinner and post dinner socialising are no less iimportant than the dinner itself. What is the point of dressing smartly only to spend most of the evening seated. You don't buy a dinner suit and choose the one that feels most comfortable when seated. When did you ever see anyone buy a suit and look at themselves in the mirror sitting down before buying it?

Archived