African American Hair

vrog33

I just read through this whole thread and it's provided me with some great info!

I've always been natural and on my previous cruises, I've just gotten my natural hair done in two strand twists, but because of the humidity, it will start getting rough around the 3rd day.

So, for my upcoming cruise, I've decided to get kinky twists put in. I've never had extensions before, but I want to be able to enjoy my vacation a bit more without worrying about what to do with my hair. I bought the hair today and am looking forward to seeing it done. My birthday is 3 weeks before my cruise, so I plan to keep it in for about 6 weeks.

This was my hair during my last cruise. It was the first day and by the 3rd day it had started to drop, but it was getting rough around the edges.

9251824510_ac5ca90260.jpg

DSCN0027 by Virtopia, on Flickr

First let me say, this thread is AWESOME! Thanks to all who contributed! I've learned so much in a short time.

Secondly, I love these two strand twists! I get them every now and then and love the ease of taking care of them at home, but I also love to swim in the ocean and pool so thanks for sharing how long they'll last. I'd planned on getting 2 strand twists for our upcoming cruise but will probably do a wet and wavy sew in instead because I want as little maintenance as possible.

I had box braids (occasionally micros) in my hair for about 10 years straight which thinned and damaged it badly. I went completely natural about 3 years ago and haven't looked back, it's grown some but more importantly my hair is finally healthy and slowly growing back - it's about shoulder length now.

Here are pics from our last cruise in 2011, I'll probably get the same style (sew in) but longer hair just so ALL my cruise pics don't look exactly the same :) I don't look very happy in the first one, think I stepped on a shell or something getting outta the ocean lol but we had a lotta fun. That was probably day 3 or 4. The 2nd was first elegant night.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Additionally, I'm not that chick who is all into hair (which is probably another reason why I don't have much lol). I don't remember doing anything special on the last cruise except putting on a scarf at night, then shaking and going in the a.m. It was GREAT not worrying about washing, flat ironing, etc. It did seem a little dry looking by the end of the cruise, but overall it held up very well. I left some hair out in the front and wore headbands a lot. I'll probably take it out within a week after we return (from 7 day cruise).

Any suggestions on what to put into it to keep it looking "wet and wavy"? I don't even remember if this was all synthetic or a human hair mix I had last time.

Sorry so long and so many questions - just excited to find somewhere I can actually discuss my hair type! :)

Edited by wannago35

I'm with you on the wet n wavy sew in choice. It will work for my wedding and the cruise. I think the products to use depend on if the hair is 100% human or not. I'm not a hair person either. Rocking long Senegalese twists now and this won't fly for my cruise!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Forums mobile app

First let me say, this thread is AWESOME! Thanks to all who contributed! I've learned so much in a short time.

Secondly, I love these two strand twists! I get them every now and then and love the ease of taking care of them at home, but I also love to swim in the ocean and pool so thanks for sharing how long they'll last. I'd planned on getting 2 strand twists for our upcoming cruise but will probably do a wet and wavy sew in instead because I want as little maintenance as possible.

I had box braids (occasionally micros) in my hair for about 10 years straight which thinned and damaged it badly. I went completely natural about 3 years ago and haven't looked back, it's grown some but more importantly my hair is finally healthy and slowly growing back - it's about shoulder length now.

Here are pics from our last cruise in 2011, I'll probably get the same style (sew in) but longer hair just so ALL my cruise pics don't look exactly the same :) I don't look very happy in the first one, think I stepped on a shell or something getting outta the ocean lol but we had a lotta fun. That was probably day 3 or 4. The 2nd was first elegant night.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Additionally, I'm not that chick who is all into hair (which is probably another reason why I don't have much lol). I don't remember doing anything special on the last cruise except putting on a scarf at night, then shaking and going in the a.m. It was GREAT not worrying about washing, flat ironing, etc. It did seem a little dry looking by the end of the cruise, but overall it held up very well. I left some hair out in the front and wore headbands a lot. I'll probably take it out within a week after we return (from 7 day cruise).

Any suggestions on what to put into it to keep it looking "wet and wavy"? I don't even remember if this was all synthetic or a human hair mix I had last time.

Sorry so long and so many questions - just excited to find somewhere I can actually discuss my hair type! :)

When I've had that type of hair at night I would section it wet it a little add a little gel or mousse & some sort of sheen product then braid it. In the morning I would take each braid out and add a tiny bit more sheen/hair polish.

I had 2 strand twists on my last cruise. I started out with it pinned up. Around the 3rd day, it needed to be retwisted. A retwist around the edges makes for a fresh new look. Day 5 or 6 you can do a twist out which gives you a new look for the remainder of a 7 day cruise. You probably want to take a hair net or stocking to cover your hair so you can wash out any salt or chloring. Make sure to take some Monoi Oil or similar product to refresh your hair afterwards

When I've had that type of hair at night I would section it wet it a little add a little gel or mousse & some sort of sheen product then braid it. In the morning I would take each braid out and add a tiny bit more sheen/hair polish.

Your hair is very cute in this style.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Your hair is very cute in this style.

I had hair that was similar to wet and wavy when we cruised back in May. Have a pic posted here a little further back. The hair was micro nraids around the wdges and tree braids on the inside. Looked like the whole head was micros. I used care free curl gold at night

Just apply a small amount to small sections and braid. Whole head had about 6-8 braids. Would take it loosr in the morning and spray with a little oil sheen. Used a little mousse around the edges. It did get a little frizzy toward the end of the cruise. But I just had it done for the cruise. Usually wear 2 strand twists. Been natural for 3 years.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

I am a naturalista as well!

I just do a curly bun for the entire vacation- I can swim with it and then wash my hair and slick it back for dinner. While on vacation I may do an overnight conditioner and I am easy on the shampooing. I use a tiny bit of shampoo to get the chlorine/salt water out (I believe all cruise ships use salt water pools only) and then I use lots of conditioner to keep it moisturized. While doing overnight conditioning I do chunky braids and seal it with aloe vera gel (I also use this aloe vera gel after tanning so I buy the 100% pure kind as opposed to the fancy smell good green kind)

My friend does the same curly bun for the pool, but wears a wig for outside of the pool.

My other friend has Senegalese Twists (the really long twists). I wanted to get these this summer but my husband hated them (I think they are beautiful though). I was going to get them anyway (he already knows- its my hair/body so I do what I like LOL) BUT a naturalista at my swim club said they were very heavy in the water so I will stick with my natural curls and a wash out.

Box braids are a good choice. They may also be heavy in the water though. You can dress them up by doing a large bun, half up/half down etc.

My other friend (I might as well call them friend A,B, and C now LOL) uses a half wig. She does the curly bun thing in the water like me, washes her hair, and just slicks back the very front of her hair.

Good luck with all of your naturalista choices!!!

I am a naturalista as well!

I just do a curly bun for the entire vacation- I can swim with it and then wash my hair and slick it back for dinner. While on vacation I may do an overnight conditioner and I am easy on the shampooing. I use a tiny bit of shampoo to get the chlorine/salt water out (I believe all cruise ships use salt water pools only) and then I use lots of conditioner to keep it moisturized. While doing overnight conditioning I do chunky braids and seal it with aloe vera gel (I also use this aloe vera gel after tanning so I buy the 100% pure kind as opposed to the fancy smell good green kind)

My friend does the same curly bun for the pool, but wears a wig for outside of the pool.

My other friend has Senegalese Twists (the really long twists). I wanted to get these this summer but my husband hated them (I think they are beautiful though). I was going to get them anyway (he already knows- its my hair/body so I do what I like LOL) BUT a naturalista at my swim club said they were very heavy in the water so I will stick with my natural curls and a wash out.

Box braids are a good choice. They may also be heavy in the water though. You can dress them up by doing a large bun, half up/half down etc.

My other friend (I might as well call them friend A,B, and C now LOL) uses a half wig. She does the curly bun thing in the water like me, washes her hair, and just slicks back the very front of her hair.

Good luck with all of your naturalista choices!!!

If you want to try twist I would suggest Marley twist or havana twists-the hair is much lighter. I installed them myself (waist length) and they were very light.

If you want to try twist I would suggest Marley twist or havana twists-the hair is much lighter. I installed them myself (waist length) and they were very light.

I may try the Marley twists- they look much easier to install since they are so much bigger! I do Havana twists with my natural hair (my version of 2 stranded twists when I am lazy LOL). If I am home for a weekend I will do a co-wash with havana twists and then two or three corn rows out of the braids- once they dry the curl pattern is really pretty. I can pineapple it at night and get a few days out of it!

This surely answered my question, i was just talking to my sister last night regarding this same subject. what to do with my hair for our 7 day carnival pride cruise on October 27th thru 3rd of november. were leaving from baltimore Port. I decided to pull my hair back, buy some awesome hair pieces and add cute colorful. scarves around the front and special evening add flower. :cool:

I may try the Marley twists- they look much easier to install since they are so much bigger! I do Havana twists with my natural hair (my version of 2 stranded twists when I am lazy LOL). If I am home for a weekend I will do a co-wash with havana twists and then two or three corn rows out of the braids- once they dry the curl pattern is really pretty. I can pineapple it at night and get a few days out of it!

Pineapple = the savior of many hairstyles :D ;)

Lots of great ideas and looks on this thread. I think I'll keep my regular routine during my 15 day cruise. I co-wash daily because I sweat a lot doing my exercise routine. Sometimes I do the bun, other times a ponytail and for a down look, I just put on a little mousse, hair milk and monoi oil for a nice wavy due. Oh the joys of natural hair. It is so versatile. :)

Lots of great ideas and looks on this thread. I think I'll keep my regular routine during my 15 day cruise. I co-wash daily because I sweat a lot doing my exercise routine. Sometimes I do the bun, other times a ponytail and for a down look, I just put on a little mousse, hair milk and monoi oil for a nice wavy due. Oh the joys of natural hair. It is so versatile. :)

Sounds like me!! For elegant night I may even do a nice wash and go afro (this is never wash and go for me though, I have to spend time making sure it frames my face right, is properly moisturized blah blah blah LOL- a pony tail or bun is much quicker!

I use Ecostyler Olive Oil gel to slick back, and I co-wash with Kinky Curly products- Love love love Knot Today leave-in!

I use Ecostyler Olive Oil gel to slick back, and I co-wash with Kinky Curly products- Love love love Knot Today leave-in!

I like the KC Curling Custard but I can't use the Knot Today. For some reason it tangles my hair and leaves it feeling brittle and rough. They had a deal on it at Target but I'm taking it back.

This thread is AMAZING!!!

Took me a few hours to get through it but glad I read all the posts. I just ordered that Freetress Creta Girl synthetic half wig on Amazon.com and I'm super excited about rocking big, kinky curls with my natural hair. I'm a natural blonde and I can NEVER find the right shade in synthetic wigs but I think this will be perfect for the cruise. I've been a bad girl this summer and used the John Frieda go Blonder lightener (basically Sun In) and it tore my hair up. It made it super dry. So bad I had to stop putting any products in my hair and just did natural deep conditioning treatments (olive oil, honey, yogurt, avocado, etc.). This wig will give my frayed ends a break and I can still look cute. LOL. I also just bought Infusium 23 to detangle my hair without combing it all out and a few online reviews said that's a good detangler for the wig. So I don't have to go buy anymore products. Yipppeeeee!

Edited by trixiegal

I'm with you on the wet n wavy sew in choice. It will work for my wedding and the cruise. I think the products to use depend on if the hair is 100% human or not. I'm not a hair person either. Rocking long Senegalese twists now and this won't fly for my cruise!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Forums mobile app

Hi,

I've been wearing the Senegalese twist off and on for about a year and I love them. I help with the breakage I've been hearing so much about I go to a shop from time to time and get a deep conditioner or I'll do it myself at home. Right now I'm wearing my natural hair in a straw set but plan on getting my twist right before my cruise in November. I was curious as to why you said they won't work for the cruise because I thought they would be perfect.

I am black and wanted advice about different hair styles to wear on a 7 day carrib cruise. I will be getting in the water almost everyday so I know wearing my hair out natural wouldnt work.

Any other advice and hairstyles plz?

I'm natural and my hair is a little longer than halfway down my back. I just wear my hair in a bun. Is your hair long enough to bun? I don't use any bobby pins or fancy hair thingies...just two hair ties (made from black panty hoes), a water spritz bottle, Garnier Fructis Pure Clean - Gel, and the Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine. It works well for me.

I can give you steps if you want. It's really easy if your hair is long enough to do it.

I haven't done hairstyles where I have added extra hair to my own hair and I don't really suggest that for a cruise if you are going to be in the water all the time. You need to really be able to wash and deep condition your hair because that salt water is going to suck all the moisture out of your hair. The Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine makes a great sealant on damp hair to lock in moisture and keeping your hair in a bun will help baby your ends.

If that won't work...you can always make your way over to http://www.longhaircareforum.com/

150,000 black women from all over the world just waiting to give you hair advice. LOL

Edited by cruisecritiquer

There are so many great tips here ladies! I have tried a number of products but finally rested with Carol's Daughter. All I can say is you need to try out products and decide on products and a routine that works best for your hair. As you can all see from this thread, we have so many different textures, lengths and colors. Not every product works for every hair type. Be aggressive in trying and finding the one that works best for you. :)

I like the KC Curling Custard but I can't use the Knot Today. For some reason it tangles my hair and leaves it feeling brittle and rough. They had a deal on it at Target but I'm taking it back.

I'm natural and my hair is a little longer than halfway down my back. I just wear my hair in a bun. Is your hair long enough to bun? I don't use any bobby pins or fancy hair thingies...just two hair ties (made from black panty hoes), a water spritz bottle, Garnier Fructis Pure Clean - Gel, and the Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine. It works well for me.

I can give you steps if you want. It's really easy if your hair is long enough to do it.

I haven't done hairstyles where I have added extra hair to my own hair and I don't really suggest that for a cruise if you are going to be in the water all the time. You need to really be able to wash and deep condition your hair because that salt water is going to suck all the moisture out of your hair. The Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine makes a great sealant on damp hair to lock in moisture and keeping your hair in a bun will help baby your ends.

If that won't work...you can always make your way over to http://www.longhaircareforum.com/

150,000 black women from all over the world just waiting to give you hair advice. LOL

I'm a recovering product junkie! Luckily, if I can't use a product I will give it to my daughter, who has a loose wave and doesn't require as much hold as I do, or my sister, whose hair isn't as porous as mine. I'm definitely going to try out the Sabino Moisture Block and the Oyin Handmade products. They have a new product called Boing! that sounds right for my hair.

One thing I do now to save $$$ and prevent me from buying products all the time is use natural oils and things like castor oil, yogurt, honey and even Apple Cider Vinegar to help condition and seal my hair. The results have been close to getting a texturizer without the chemicals. I've found some great suggestions on Pinterest and YouTube.

Just got that Freetress half wig and I don't know...

The one I got has so much brown in it and not as much blonde on the top or sides. Way more brown than all the pics online I looked at before I bought it. I know colors can vary so maybe it's my bad luck.

I just bought Roux Porosity Control conditioner from Sally's and used it this morning. I think I like it. My hair has more tiny ringlets/curls and less frizz. So maybe I can just rock my OWN hair on this cruise(even though it's shorter than the wig). I'm not sure I want to mess with it, though, because my hair is so tempermental in different temperatures and water types. Then I'd have to slick it back in a bun the whole trip like I do at home. *sigh*

Just got that Freetress half wig and I don't know...

The one I got has so much brown in it and not as much blonde on the top or sides. Way more brown than all the pics online I looked at before I bought it. I know colors can vary so maybe it's my bad luck.

I just bought Roux Porosity Control conditioner from Sally's and used it this morning. I think I like it. My hair has more tiny ringlets/curls and less frizz. So maybe I can just rock my OWN hair on this cruise(even though it's shorter than the wig). I'm not sure I want to mess with it, though, because my hair is so tempermental in different temperatures and water types. Then I'd have to slick it back in a bun the whole trip like I do at home. *sigh*

Sometimes I just throw in some conditioner and let my hair do what it wants to do lol I throw in the towel and say hey I can't always win :D I'm leaving next Wednesday on ccl splendor and have decided to wear my own hair. It's easier for me to treat it & maintain its health after the pool/beach. Hopefully luck will be on my side and my hair will agree to let me be in control ;)