African American Hair

vrog33

Yeah, that's why I put my hair for my scheduled trip(s) in braids now - Might be $100 plus hair and tips for 2-3 months in my hair, but at least I won't be paying $300-500 for the week at the ship's salon. :eek:

yeah, the cruise salon was too expensive in my opinion as well and it really was just a set....nothing that I said WOW!!! she did a Fantastic job!!!

I have only used it a few times...after Dunn's River Falls and when I got caught in the rain during a tour...I now bring at least one wig so the most I have to do is wash it myself, pull it back and I bring hats to wear if necessary and then use the wig if I need to dress up...

Yeah, that's why I put my hair for my scheduled trip(s) in braids now - Might be $100 plus hair and tips for 2-3 months in my hair, but at least I won't be paying $300-500 for the week at the ship's salon. :eek:

$300-500 for a wash and set for a week? Wow! I've sailed on NCL, RCI and Carnival and they charge by the length of your hair. I have shoulder length hair and I've gone to the salon, maybe 3 times during a 7-9 day cruise and my total bill for the week was $120 including tips.

• 2 months later...

I've recently found out that I have a friend who can do hair so I will always get double strand twists when going on cruises now. For my upcoming sailing, I plan to get them done about a week before we leave. It's so much easier to manage and now I'm not paying an arm and a leg to get it done.

I've recently found out that I have a friend who can do hair so I will always get double strand twists when going on cruises now. For my upcoming sailing, I plan to get them done about a week before we leave. It's so much easier to manage and now I'm not paying an arm and a leg to get it done.

Virtopia is that same as two-strand twists? That is what I usually get, with a ponytail. I didn't on my cruise last month on the Oasis and regret it. I was trying to do something different but should have stuck with the ol reliable.

Below is a picture of me on the Quantum with the ol reliable...my Two Strand Twists and Pony...

15621225899_a2ae364d12_z.jpg

2 strand twists and 2 strand flat twist and twist outs are my friends. They are life savers. When I was on my 15 day Hawaiian cruise I started out with 2 strand twists, then did twist out. Washed my hair and did bantu knots and then to a take down. If you can do your own hair these are life savers. I simply took my travel size Carol's Daughter products with me.

Virtopia is that same as two-strand twists? That is what I usually get' date=' with a ponytail. I didn't on my cruise last month on the Oasis and regret it. I was trying to do something different but should have stuck with the ol reliable.

Below is a picture of me on the Quantum with the ol reliable...my Two Strand Twists and Pony...

[center']15621225899_a2ae364d12_z.jpg[/center]

I've posted an example. This was the first time I had it done by a hairdresser and it was heavier than I would have liked. My friend has done it twice for me and will be doing it for the upcoming cruise.

1438541414652.jpg.89c4bf926b83cb440680b3ac979ed39e.jpg

2 strand twists and 2 strand flat twist and twist outs are my friends. They are life savers. When I was on my 15 day Hawaiian cruise I started out with 2 strand twists, then did twist out. Washed my hair and did bantu knots and then to a take down. If you can do your own hair these are life savers. I simply took my travel size Carol's Daughter products with me.

Here is my natural hair on my last cruise. I just twisted it myself and was happy with how it kept throughout ... it probably helped that it was a March cruise leaving from Cape Liberty so there wasn't a lot of pool time. Funny, I have my hair in bantu knots right now, helps to create a nice full head of curls.

Also sorry if it comes out sideways

.. I'm posting from my phone.

1438541659961.jpg.9e5e0d02b569baff48ce95283cc47b1f.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
I am black and wanted advice about different hair styles to wear on a 7 day carrib cruise. I will be getting in the water almost everyday so I know wearing my hair out natural wouldnt work.

Any other advice and hairstyles plz?

I usually get a curly weave sew-in that I can wet and go.

Here is my natural hair on my last cruise. I just twisted it myself and was happy with how it kept throughout ... it probably helped that it was a March cruise leaving from Cape Liberty so there wasn't a lot of pool time. Funny, I have my hair in bantu knots right now, helps to create a nice full head of curls.

Also sorry if it comes out sideways

.. I'm posting from my phone.

Thanks for the tip! I'm determined to adjust to my natural hair for my December cruise.

• 2 months later...

I have been natural for over 10years my hair when stretched is about 6 inches past shoulder, when curly my hair sits on my shoulders.

If it want to wear my hair out curly I use kinky curly on my hair directly and mix water, Shea Moisture leave in conditioner, kinky curly hair gloss is a spray bottle and spray as needed to refresh hair. I use Carols Daughter Black Vanilla Edge Control to slick down my edges or flyaways. I bring my big tooth comb, paddle brush, soft brush, toothbrush (for edges). Lots of clips, Bobby pins, head bands and decorative scarfs.

I've also two strand twisted my on hair down flat (like cornrows, but it doesn't grab edges as tightly) into a side or center bun. To make the bun seem fuller I use a "bun maker" (nothing but a extra big scrunchii) to use as a base and bobby pin the hair down and around it.

I've wore wigs (lace) plenty of times when I was feeling lazy and or wanted a new look.

And on a few occasions my hair was pressed out for a cruise. Now letting it hang down long and straight in all its glory lasted all of about 5minutes with the heat, humidity and water spray from the ocean. I literally saw my hair shrinking up fast. So I blow it out and pressed it once more and place the hair into a low side bun with a "swoop" bang in the front and I used John Frieda Frizz Ease Ultra Hold Hair Spray and that stuff works miracles. I could have probably been in a hurricane and my hair wouldn't have moved or frizzed up. I was able to keep the same hair style for a whole 7 day cruise just spraying once a day. Mind you it didn't get my hair completely wet but it did get in the whirlpool, sauna and went to the gym and the hair held up.

For my next cruise I'll probably two strand twist it into some sort of an up do.

• 2 months later...
I've enjoyed reading the helpful hair tips. I plan on either maintaining my Afro or twists...haven't decide yet. Any ideas on makeup??

I keep makeup pretty light when I'm in the Caribbean. Three things I can't do without: Mary Kay CC Cream (sunscreen with light coverage), waterproof eyeliner, and lip gloss.

• 1 month later...
I've enjoyed reading the helpful hair tips. I plan on either maintaining my Afro or twists...haven't decide yet. Any ideas on makeup??

I wear my Smashbox CC cream (tinted moisturizer w suncreen) or Bareminerals powder w sunscreen and whatever lip gloss I'm feeling at the moment during the day. At night for formal pics, foundation, mascara, brows, etc.

Very informative thread and right on time. I am 10 months into my transition and I shutter at the thought of doing my hair on the cruise. I have decided to get a wig. I do not plan to swim, so that will not be an issue. I plan to braid (plaits, not corn rows) my hair underneath and moisturize and seal in the braids as needed. I'm too afraid of damaging my edges to get braids or a sew in (had a bad experience with tree braids for a cruise in 2012).

It takes me over 40 minutes every night to rebraid my braid out. I simply cannot do this on the ship. I am on vacation.

I'm determined to do a full wavy weave sew in with no leave out next cruise. Every other cruise I bring lace wigs, I dont feel they are secure when going in the water. This cruise I am going to let loose and do the waterslides, jump in the water at the beach and actually not care! Wish me luck! :cool:

When I go to warmer climates I usually get braids. One exception was 7 day around the Hawaiian islands where I relied on wash and go's. When we did a 7 day through Alaska, I wore my Afro puff. I have been natural for a little over 6 years.

For my upcoming cruise, I'm debating twists or natural curls with curling rods. The trip is going to be 18 days total so thinking if I just go with my natural hair, I can fully refresh it every 6 days. To wash and twist my hair is about 90 minutes. My cruise is not until September so I'll probably decide by early August.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
For my upcoming cruise, I'm debating twists or natural curls with curling rods. The trip is going to be 18 days total so thinking if I just go with my natural hair, I can fully refresh it every 6 days. To wash and twist my hair is about 90 minutes. My cruise is not until September so I'll probably decide by early August.

Hi just wanted to ask how your crochet braids held up? Any pictures? I'm thinking of getting some that look like my natural hair but with less work:D I wonder if it will come out when I swim or snorkel. How did yours do with swimming?

Hi just wanted to ask how your crochet braids held up? Any pictures? I'm thinking of getting some that look like my natural hair but with less work:D I wonder if it will come out when I swim or snorkel. How did yours do with swimming?

Hey! My cruise actually isn't until Sept 16th. I am getting my hair done on Friday though and I am getting twists done. I will come back and let you know how it turned out!

Hey! My cruise actually isn't until Sept 16th. I am getting my hair done on Friday though and I am getting twists done. I will come back and let you know how it turned out!

Thanks for replying! I was asking because you posted a few years ago that you got them for a cruise... When you get twist this time are you adding hair or just twisting your own hair?

Thanks for replying! I was asking because you posted a few years ago that you got them for a cruise... When you get twist this time are you adding hair or just twisting your own hair?

I've done both. My last cruise I did twist extensions and I prefer it. So much easier to manage and it was fine in the water. This pic was after a day at the beach. I'll be adding hair this time around as well. Because it's such a intensive trip, I don't want to fuss with my hair at all.IMG_1472653838.813723.jpg.6fdf436442197bf0817fd26d61286193.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums