African American Hair

vrog33

I like that! What kind of hair is it?

Karen

Thank you! It's model model glance water wave...usually around $4.99 per pack. On average I use 2 1/2-3 packs, but have used 4 because I was lazy when separating the hair.

Ok. Thank you. I saw where you said you wouldn't recommend straight hair for the crochet braids. I got deep wave. Hope its not too straight! :eek:

Karen

It shouldn't be since there is a wave to it, but check YouTube there has to be a video of an install with deep wave and how to make your closure less obvious. With curly hair it sets itself so no need to worry about parts and blending. When your done post pics because I defiantly would like to see how it turns out.

It is cute! Loooked at a YouTube video showing how this type of hair has to be knotted a special way to prevent it from sliding out.

Karen

You'll defiantly be fine-you got your gameplan and your ready for action :). I dedicate an entire day to do this install because I take long breaks often so my arms don't get too tired.

Here's a pic of my first ever tree braids install with deep wave hair. I got the speech about how the hair should have some kind of curl to camouflage the cornrows. My initial thoughts:

1. That only took 4 hours!

2. I feel like Diana Ross.

3. This looks really tight, but it doesn't hurt.

4. How in the world am I going to get these out!

5. The people at work are going to be so confused! LOL

PhotoGrid_1366657953709.jpg.52e08e3fb920f117d292011a257be0df.jpg

Here's a pic of my first ever tree braids install with deep wave hair. I got the speech about how the hair should have some kind of curl to camouflage the cornrows. My initial thoughts:

1. That only took 4 hours!

2. I feel like Diana Ross.

3. This looks really tight, but it doesn't hurt.

4. How in the world am I going to get these out!

5. The people at work are going to be so confused! LOL

Looks good:D , enjoy the ease of this style!!! I remove this style by taking the braids out. The hair comes out easily...rarely will I have to cut the knot to uninstall.

I tried this style a few months ago and will probably never go back to extensions and weaves. They are easy to maintain even if you frequent the water (pools/ocean). I would suggest bringing xtra hair and hook on you trip for emergencies. I like being able to touch my own hair- moisturize and check my natural hairs health, while keeping it in a protective style. I recommend trying this style prior to travel. This has been a great find-looks good & inexpensive (I do this style myself-just purchase the hair)

ETA: sorry abt the pic

I really like that. Thats the effect I'm trying to get when I get mine done on the 9th. Cruise is on the 14th. What inch hair did you use?

Karen

Thanks! It was 18 inches.

Thanks! It was 18 inches.

Ok. That looks good! I purchased 22 inch. Thinking it may be a little long. But I want to be able to put it up or i n a bmp pony tail. If its too long I can always cut it. I'm excited!! Cant wait to get mine done. Reading your experience with the deep wave hair really made me feel netter about the hair type and style!:)

Karen

• 3 weeks later...

Been on several cruises. First my hair was relaxed, I needed an extra bag for flat irons etc. then hair was done with Keratin, which was easy but still needed flat irons. i cut it out of my hair, about 8 months ago. Now traveling with 18 inches natural hair. I do bring a hair piece if i want a different look. Less stress, quicker getting ready, and my husband loves it! Head bands twist for more formal look and GO!:)

Weave is definitely going to be my friend for my upcoming cruise.

I've been thinking about a shoulder length bob, but then again I need to be able to put it in a bun or a braid for the beach days or when I'm in a pool, so I might stick with the 18inch that I currently have installed.

• 2 months later...
Just got back from my cruise! Here's a formal pic of my hair with the deep twist tree braids with micros around the edges.

Karen

I love your length! Was it easy to manage? Even after swimming?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Forums mobile app

I just read through this whole thread and it's provided me with some great info!

I've always been natural and on my previous cruises, I've just gotten my natural hair done in two strand twists, but because of the humidity, it will start getting rough around the 3rd day.

So, for my upcoming cruise, I've decided to get kinky twists put in. I've never had extensions before, but I want to be able to enjoy my vacation a bit more without worrying about what to do with my hair. I bought the hair today and am looking forward to seeing it done. My birthday is 3 weeks before my cruise, so I plan to keep it in for about 6 weeks.

This was my hair during my last cruise. It was the first day and by the 3rd day it had started to drop, but it was getting rough around the edges.

9251824510_ac5ca90260.jpg

DSCN0027 by Virtopia, on Flickr

I just read through this whole thread and it's provided me with some great info!

I've always been natural and on my previous cruises, I've just gotten my natural hair done in two strand twists, but because of the humidity, it will start getting rough around the 3rd day.

So, for my upcoming cruise, I've decided to get kinky twists put in. I've never had extensions before, but I want to be able to enjoy my vacation a bit more without worrying about what to do with my hair. I bought the hair today and am looking forward to seeing it done. My birthday is 3 weeks before my cruise, so I plan to keep it in for about 6 weeks.

This was my hair during my last cruise. It was the first day and by the 3rd day it had started to drop, but it was getting rough around the edges.

9251824510_ac5ca90260.jpg

DSCN0027 by Virtopia, on Flickr

I would suggest you purchase the hair in advance & soak it in a water/vinegar for 15-20mins to remove the alkaline coat. Many people including myself have a horrible allergic reaction to synthetic hair. YouTube has many video showing this process.

I would suggest you purchase the hair in advance & soak it in a water/vinegar for 15-20mins to remove the alkaline coat. Many people including myself have a horrible allergic reaction to synthetic hair. YouTube has many video showing this process.

Thanks for the tip! I actually bought it today with my cousin who gets extensions often. I will make sure to do that as I don't want to get any kind of allergic reaction.

I'll come back to post a picture when I get it done.

Thanks for the tip! I actually bought it today with my cousin who gets extensions often. I will make sure to do that as I don't want to get any kind of allergic reaction.

I'll come back to post a picture when I get it done.

After installed if they itch or burn spray your hair with the water/vinegar combo. I had to learn the hard way lol good luck & enjoy your birthday!!!

After installed if they itch or burn spray your hair with the water/vinegar combo. I had to learn the hard way lol good luck & enjoy your birthday!!!

Thank you!! :D

Sent from my iPhone using the Cruise Critic App