Lesson learned - last minute bookings

Embracedbylife

We booked our cruise over 8 months ago and we watched the prices on princess' website right up to the final payment date to see if the price lowered to get adjustments - which we did get one adjustment. After final payment the price has remained the same as what we paid on princess website, so we invited our friends to book if they could join us.

They were smart and used a TA for their booking after final payments were due and got a flash sale. They told me they got the room for $1200 less than what was advertised on the princess website!! I had to call princess and have them explain to me why a TA gets a flash sale rate, but they do not offer this same rate to princess circle memebers who purchase directly with them.

Princess told me that they only provide flash sales through TA's after final payments, not on their website. So if it was the other way around and we were booking last minute and used the website instead of a TA we would have paid $1200 more than our friends did!!! I still don't understand why princess doesn't offer flash sales to their direct captain's circle memebers, but it has somethign to do with getting the agents to book with them, and securing their TA fan base.

So, if anyone is booking last minute after final payments, the lesson is - use a TA and look for flash sales as opposed to their website!

For my frustration and discust and for me being such a loyal customer they gave me $300 credit on my shipboard account - which was more than generous considering we did book ours before the final payment due date and since our friends were smart to book through a TA they saved $1200 or more! Big lesson for anyone booking last minute!!

Look at it as a lesson learned.

I know in the past, when booking with a TA, even if Princess lowers the prices on their website, they have rarely lowered them under what I paid with a TA in the first place. Sometimes flash promotions after final payment will go lower, but normally even then, not by that much, but never lower before final payment when we receive a discount rate from the beginning.

Booking direct with Princess normally just means you are paying top price for your cruise (unless it is one of those 2 for 1 type specials we have seen recently). Some like being in total control of their bookings, and it's worth it to them to pay more so they can contact Princess about their booking.

I have to smile at times when I read posts that Princess lowered their price a few hundred dollars and they were able to get the price difference. As they are still paying more, even with the lowered price, then we did from the start. For us, the best price is what we are after. ;)

One thing about the flash promotions though. When they occur, those booking last minute get the choice of staterooms and dining that is left. Booking early gives you the choice of staterooms and dining assignments.

Find a good discount TA for future bookings, it is amazing the discounts some will give. And have a wonderful cruise! :)

Yes, I'm just happy that I found this out for next time, and that our friends got a nice deal! And princess gave us $300 onboard credit too...so it worked out for everyone! And like you said we got what we wanted when we booked so we are also happy! I would have been upset if the shoe was on the other foot and I paid $1200 more than I should have if I was them booking last minute on the web direct...but luckily they did a good thing and got a flash sale!

It's good info for everyone!

I have read of people transferring a booking from Princess to an online TA. Has anyone has any experience with this?

Very easy to do. Just contact a TA that you wish to transfer to and give Princess a call (sometimes they ask for a fax to be sent to them). Won't take but a few minutes to get the booking transferred.

Look at it as a lesson learned.

I know in the past, when booking with a TA, even if Princess lowers the prices on their website, they have rarely lowered them under what I paid with a TA in the first place. Sometimes flash promotions after final payment will go lower, but normally even then, not by that much, but never lower before final payment when we receive a discount rate from the beginning.

Booking direct with Princess normally just means you are paying top price for your cruise (unless it is one of those 2 for 1 type specials we have seen recently). Some like being in total control of their bookings, and it's worth it to them to pay more so they can contact Princess about their booking.

I have to smile at times when I read posts that Princess lowered their price a few hundred dollars and they were able to get the price difference. As they are still paying more, even with the lowered price, then we did from the start. For us, the best price is what we are after. ;)

One thing about the flash promotions though. When they occur, those booking last minute get the choice of staterooms and dining that is left. Booking early gives you the choice of staterooms and dining assignments.

Find a good discount TA for future bookings, it is amazing the discounts some will give. And have a wonderful cruise! :)

Exactly. Like Toto, I get pricing that's usually less than the "flash promotion" pricing and I get my pick of cabin and dining preference. You can ALWAYS get better pricing than on the Princess website if you shop around. And, if the cost of the cruise does go down (not via a flash promotion), my TA will get me a lower price.

The more I read about some of you all's fabulous TA's, the more bummed I get about ours. I had already done tons of research but felt like she should handle the details of the bookings, as I didn't feel like I would do it all right. She wanted to book us into the most expensive hotels, cars, flights, and cruise ship room! I had to say "Ummmm, No." We need to spend way less for hotels, etc. Then gave her all the info I had found for everything. All in all she only saved us about $75.00, maybe. The price she had for the cruise was exactly what the prices are quoted online with Princess, no OBC, no perks, nothing for using her for the booking. On top of that, I had to call 3-4 times the two times there was a rate reduction. The first time I called she sounded extremely doubtful we would get the reduction! The second time I called, she asked me where I was getting my info! I can guarantee you I won't be using her for any future trips.

Please don't get me wrong, I am thrilled with our first upcoming cruise, happy with the room we booked. Just feel we got taken for a ride with our TA. Being located in BFE, like we are, doesn't give you alot of choices where TA's are concerned, unfortunately. Wish now I had just done it all myself and left myself wondering if perhaps a TA would have gotten us a better deal.:o

The more I read about some of you all's fabulous TA's, the more bummed I get about ours. I had already done tons of research but felt like she should handle the details of the bookings, as I didn't feel like I would do it all right. She wanted to book us into the most expensive hotels, cars, flights, and cruise ship room! I had to say "Ummmm, No." We need to spend way less for hotels, etc. Then gave her all the info I had found for everything. All in all she only saved us about $75.00, maybe. The price she had for the cruise was exactly what the prices are quoted online with Princess, no OBC, no perks, nothing for using her for the booking. On top of that, I had to call 3-4 times the two times there was a rate reduction. The first time I called she sounded extremely doubtful we would get the reduction! The second time I called, she asked me where I was getting my info! I can guarantee you I won't be using her for any future trips.

Please don't get me wrong, I am thrilled with our first upcoming cruise, happy with the room we booked. Just feel we got taken for a ride with our TA. Being located in BFE, like we are, doesn't give you alot of choices where TA's are concerned, unfortunately. Wish now I had just done it all myself and left myself wondering if perhaps a TA would have gotten us a better deal.:o

Not all TA's discount pricing. If you find one in the future that gives you the same price as on the Princess website, thank them nicely and move to the next one on your list. ;)

I'm one of the stupid ones that booked with Princess directly.. sigh... Oh well we are happy and just days from sailing.

However... it was our intention to purchase "future cruise credits" on this sailing. Should we do this? How does it work when you subsequently use a TA?

Thanks.

I'm one of the stupid ones that booked with Princess directly.. sigh... Oh well we are happy and just days from sailing.

However... it was our intention to purchase "future cruise credits" on this sailing. Should we do this? How does it work when you subsequently use a TA?

Thanks.

You can just purchase the FCC on board. You don't have to book a future cruise. I got a bit of the sticker shock on board when I saw the Princess price for a cruise I was interested. The future cruise rep told me not to worry because my TA had a much better rate (it was over $1,500 cheaper for the cruise I was looking at). But there is only a benefit in buying the FCCs and then using them with a TA after you shop around. Good luck.

You can purchase your future cruise credit and when you book with your TA just tell her you are using it for your deposit; or you can book the cruise on board and transfer the booking to your TA when you get home:)

I know this is a Princess board, but perhaps those with experience with many cruise lines would be able to answer this. There are some cruise lines that don't allow TAs to discount the prices. Do those cruise lines offer flash promotions after final payment to TAs? Or would I be wasting my time trying to get a flash sale after final payment through a TA with those cruise lines?

Also, I am so envious of all of you who have found wonderful TAs that discount prices. I have not been so lucky, the TAs I've used in the past will offer an OBC or a bottle of wine, but their price is usually very similar to the Princess price. I know we are not allowed to mention names on here, but does anyone have any tips for finding a good discount TA? Do you just pull out a phone book and start calling? Wish I could find one, I really want a relationship with a good TA, but all my experiences have been unsatisfactory.

I know this is a Princess board, but perhaps those with experience with many cruise lines would be able to answer this. There are some cruise lines that don't allow TAs to discount the prices. Do those cruise lines offer flash promotions after final payment to TAs? Or would I be wasting my time trying to get a flash sale after final payment through a TA with those cruise lines?

Also, I am so envious of all of you who have found wonderful TAs that discount prices. I have not been so lucky, the TAs I've used in the past will offer an OBC or a bottle of wine, but their price is usually very similar to the Princess price. I know we are not allowed to mention names on here, but does anyone have any tips for finding a good discount TA? Do you just pull out a phone book and start calling? Wish I could find one, I really want a relationship with a good TA, but all my experiences have been unsatisfactory.

Many times, local TA's do not discount (depends on where you live I think). I know they don't around here. I don't mind my TA being in another state or 10 states away, as long as they can be reached by email and telephone and they are reputable and offer a good price.

Now, many passengers, especially those that don't travel much or are on one of their first cruises need their hand held through the booking process (which at times can be a year or more). When I contact the discount TA's I use, I know the ship, sailing date, and usually the stateroom category I am interested in booking. Many don't book flights for you unless you are interested in booking cruise arranged airfare, same for hotels, unless using the cruise line supplied overnights.

So, for us, we do not need a full service TA, just someone who will book the cruise for us according to our wishes, discounts pricing, doesn't charge fees for changes or cancellations, and is available if need be by email or phone. Other than that, they rarely hear from me. :)

Book early

- confirmed reservation

- the pick of the best cabins,

- peace of mind can go ahead and book your flights and tours

Book last minute

- cruise could be sold out

- you get whatever cabins are left

- sometimes you save $

- sometimes you pay more

- shore excursions could be full

- flights could cost more

On the pricey Egyptian cruise I took a couple of years ago, I saw there was lots of space still available near the full payment time so I canceled and then waited for a deal.

Even though there was space it was stressful waiting without a reservation!

So true! In many cases, it's not worth the wait.

Book early

- confirmed reservation

- the pick of the best cabins,

- peace of mind can go ahead and book your flights and tours

Book last minute

- cruise could be sold out

- you get whatever cabins are left

- sometimes you save $

- sometimes you pay more

- shore excursions could be full

- flights could cost more

On the pricey Egyptian cruise I took a couple of years ago, I saw there was lots of space still available near the full payment time so I canceled and then waited for a deal.

Even though there was space it was stressful waiting without a reservation!

TA/s buy big blocks of cabins for certain popular routes so therefore can offer a good discount for their customers.

If the TA has not purchased a block of cabins for the cruise you requested then your out of luck for the big discount..

TA/s buy big blocks of cabins for certain popular routes so therefore can offer a good discount for their customers.

If the TA has not purchased a block of cabins for the cruise you requested then your out of luck for the big discount..

Kruisey, I am going to have to disagree with you on this one. Many discount TA's deal in volume and discount their own commission. We have found if they have a group going on a cruise we book and they get us that pricing, the extras are usually shipboard credit associated with being booked in the block of staterooms the TA has for that cruise. But we have always found great discounts even when there is not a group we are booked into.

Kruisey, I am going to have to disagree with you on this one. Many discount TA's deal in volume and discount their own commission. We have found if they have a group going on a cruise we book and they get us that pricing, the extras are usually shipboard credit associated with being booked in the block of staterooms the TA has for that cruise. But we have always found great discounts even when there is not a group we are booked into.

I've been though all my local TA's and only if they have a block booked do you get the discount.I do believe you get better discounts locally living in the USA. Also I think this year it is something to do with the economy.

Toto I have tried going the TA way and it has not worked for me.

I Have to speak honestly from my personal experiences through the years.

I've been though all my local TA's and only if they have a block booked do you get the discount.I do believe you get better discounts locally living in the USA. Also I think this year it is something to do with the economy.

Toto I have tried going the TA way and it has not worked for me.

I Have to speak honestly from my personal experiences through the years.

Oh, I understand Kruisey, but I have to tell you, I haven't booked a cruise locally in over 15 years. I found out that was the problem, I kept trying to book with a TA face to face when I booked. All that did was cost me a small fortune.

You do know that those from Canada can also book cruises with US TA's don't you? We have many Canadian friends that wouldn't even consider booking a cruise through a Canadian travel agent, they get such better prices when booking with a discount TA in the U.S.

We booked our cruise over 8 months ago and we watched the prices on princess' website right up to the final payment date to see if the price lowered to get adjustments - which we did get one adjustment. After final payment the price has remained the same as what we paid on princess website, so we invited our friends to book if they could join us.

They were smart and used a TA for their booking after final payments were due and got a flash sale. They told me they got the room for $1200 less than what was advertised on the princess website!! I had to call princess and have them explain to me why a TA gets a flash sale rate, but they do not offer this same rate to princess circle memebers who purchase directly with them.

Princess told me that they only provide flash sales through TA's after final payments, not on their website. So if it was the other way around and we were booking last minute and used the website instead of a TA we would have paid $1200 more than our friends did!!! I still don't understand why princess doesn't offer flash sales to their direct captain's circle memebers, but it has somethign to do with getting the agents to book with them, and securing their TA fan base.

So, if anyone is booking last minute after final payments, the lesson is - use a TA and look for flash sales as opposed to their website!

For my frustration and discust and for me being such a loyal customer they gave me $300 credit on my shipboard account - which was more than generous considering we did book ours before the final payment due date and since our friends were smart to book through a TA they saved $1200 or more! Big lesson for anyone booking last minute!!

I feel your pain, but be happy that you got an OBC, that's more than what I got. I booked with a TA after final payment and 2 days later there was a "flash" that was $600 less and I got nothing.:mad:

I'm still going to have a great cruise!:D:D:D:D

You do know that those from Canada can also book cruises with US TA's don't you? We have many Canadian friends that wouldn't even consider booking a cruise through a Canadian travel agent, they get such better prices when booking with a discount TA in the U.S.

I have to echo that sentiment. I booked my last cruise through an online US TA and saved a bundle. I knew what I wanted and got exactly that, including changing from a balcony to a mini a few months after the initial booking. Normally, I like to "buy locally", but a thousand bucks is a thousand bucks, even in Cdn $ (lol).

Usually I would not book through Princess, however in February we got such a great promotion that it was actually less expensive to book through Princess than the three discount TA's I checked. With final payment looming in June, I check the pricing at least once per week and our particular cruise is now A LOT more than we booked, confirming to me that I got a great deal. So you can save money booking through Princess, it's just not common.

Maria

Usually I would not book through Princess, however in February we got such a great promotion that it was actually less expensive to book through Princess than the three discount TA's I checked. With final payment looming in June, I check the pricing at least once per week and our particular cruise is now A LOT more than we booked, confirming to me that I got a great deal. So you can save money booking through Princess, it's just not common.

Maria

It's probably more common than most think. about half our cruises were booked directly with Princess because they had the best prices we could find - anywhere. Many were promotional offers, and a few might now be termed flash offerings.

When we use a "discount TA" the discount is not usually fantastic, but we enjoy the personal service.

Archived