Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

Dubrovniktravellady I was reading a post in another forum that was talking about a restaurant that was built outside the city walls on the ocean, they talked about walking the wall until you came to an opening. Just wondered if you know the place? Are you allowed to recommend a place to eat?

We do not have an ocean here, it's the Adriatic sea and we have many restaurants located on the water. As a local resident I cannot recommend any particular restaurants and you may want to get a bit more information from the other forum. Sorry I could not be of help to you.

As we are looking forward to our first trip to Dubrovnik in August we have been researching how to take full advantage of the single day we will have. Based on our research, we are going to try: Komarda Restaurant (http://komarda.hr/index.php?lang=en)

It is just outside the walls at the Ploce entrance and appears to be at the sea shore. We've seen this place mentioned postively in a few places and are looking forward to trying it out.

As we are looking forward to our first trip to Dubrovnik in August we have been researching how to take full advantage of the single day we will have. Based on our research, we are going to try: Komarda Restaurant (http://komarda.hr/index.php?lang=en)

It is just outside the walls at the Ploce entrance and appears to be at the sea shore. We've seen this place mentioned postively in a few places and are looking forward to trying it out.

Thanks, looks like a very nice place.

Thanks, looks like a very nice place.

Belkin: Thanks for posting that article and now I know exactly where the place is located. However as many things in that article were not only out of date, there were several inaccuracies.

The "restaurant/bar" described is not true. It is a bar only, there is no food served at these places only beer or wine. If you walk the sea side of the city wall, you will see them and yes, there are two.

If you download the Dubrovnik old town map, you will be able to find them easily.

Belkin: Thanks for posting that article and now I know exactly where the place is located. However as many things in that article were not only out of date, there were several inaccuracies.

The "restaurant/bar" described is not true. It is a bar only, there is no food served at these places only beer or wine. If you walk the sea side of the city wall, you will see them and yes, there are two.

If you download the Dubrovnik old town map, you will be able to find them easily.

I will check the map out as it looks like a very senic place to relax. Thanks

Below is more on that mentioned dining place that we enjoyed with the super views from our table overlooking the historic harbor. Don't miss the wall walk, too. The price might rise, but they take credit cards, not euros. That wall experience was a wonderful highlight along with the Panoramic Tour we did first with a taxi driver as we got off of our ship on the way to enter the walled, historic area. Below are some of the pictures for what we did and loved in spectacular Dubrovnik, plus more details can be found on this posting noted below that I did with many more of my pictures.

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 75,607 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

We started in Dubrovnik with a local cab driver who gave us a “panoramic tour”, including crossing their unique bridge near the main cruise ship docking area. He called this bridge their “Golden Gate” like in San Francisco. It is nine years old. Then we drove up and up through narrow twisting roads to the high point overlooking Dubrovnik and near the cable car high station. From this point, we could also see part of Bosnia and and Montenegro. The “super star” view was down below with this angle of the harbor and walled city. Beautiful!!!:

2DubrOverallHighViewOne.jpg

Here is the view of the Cable Car going down from the high point over Dubrovnik with interesting areas and islands west of the city shown. This cable car has been re-built since the early 1990’s war years. It’s a dramatic coastline with great views here!:

4DubrCableCarWaterIslands.jpg

This is a view of the historic Dubrovnik wall at an upward and outward point built on top of the rocks and where it overlooks the Adriatic Sea. Walking this wall is a wonderful and unique way to sample and see up close and personal what makes this city so special.:

DubrovWallWaterViews.jpg

This is the Stradun or main shopping street of Dubrovnik as it stretches to the clock tower. The buildings along this way all have shutter painted in the same color. Don’t missing walking the wall in this great town.:

3DubrMainStreet2Tower.jpg

For our lunch at Komarda restaurant, here is the view from our table. Could you ask for a better location on a perfect weather day? It is about 1000 feet just east of the Ploce gate. You can go to this website in order to see lots more about

http://komarda.hr/index.php?lang=en:

2DubrDiningTableView.jpg

This was one of my seafood dishes, plus some rosotto. Wow!! So wonderful. :

DubrSeafoodAtLunch.jpg

I am wondering about the level of exertion it takes to walk the wall. 1,000 steps seems like a lot unless they are staggered over the 2 km. Are there areas to rest if you get fatigued or do you have to keep on going once you start? It sounds like an experience that should not be missed, but not at the expense of blowing out my knees for the rest of my cruise. We are seniors in relatively good health with some arthritis. Please advise.

I am wondering about the level of exertion it takes to walk the wall. 1,000 steps seems like a lot unless they are staggered over the 2 km. Are there areas to rest if you get fatigued or do you have to keep on going once you start? It sounds like an experience that should not be missed, but not at the expense of blowing out my knees for the rest of my cruise. We are seniors in relatively good health with some arthritis. Please advise.

If you enter at the main entrance which is located just inside of the Pile gate area, you will have 87 steps to reach the top. This will allow you to walk the sea side first since it is only done counter clockwise. This is the least difficult part to walk, the steps are scattered along the way, some up and some down and you will find a few spots to rest. Once you reach the old port, that is the half way point, you can go down either at the Maritime Museum or continue to the Ploce exit about 200 meters further. The land side of the wall is the most difficult and it will then begin to work upward until you reach Minceta Tower the high point of the wall. Keep in mind the 1080 total count does include the steps at all 3 entrances, but the sea side is only about 600 or so. If you go beyond Ploce exit, you are committed to return to the main entrance. It is not necessary to walk the entire circuit, just do the sea side and you will have seen the magnificent views.

I stopped walking the walls after doing the entire circuit 3 days in a row last year. My knees also gave out and it took me one week to recover.

There will be 5 other ships arriving with a total passenger count of 6,000. Your ship is arriving at 7am, departing at 1pm so you should be off as quickly as possible to have enough time to walk the wall, ride the cable car and explore the old town.

Sorry for the delay in thanking you for this information. I have been researching so many ports that I forgot to come back for an update on this one. We will try to be first in line to get off the ship. Can't wait as it will be our first time visiting your lovely city.

Many thanks for sharing your experience and the wonderful photos! We are SO looking forward to visiting this wonderful city this summer.

belkin: TLCOhio thanks for sharing your pictures they are awesome.

Appreciate the nice comments on my pictures' date=' but . . . [i']all of the credit and glory goes to Dubrovnik!![/i] It is such a wonderful, scenic, interesting and historic city. Loved it so much. Below are a few more of my visuals to prove and illustrate that point. In addition, we were super luck last June as it was in the upper 70's in temperature with a nice breeze (especially as I walked the wall). PLUS, we were the only ship in port for that day. We were very blessed in both of these important categories. That made Dubrovnik so much more enjoyable under those great conditions. Lots of friends have been there when it is in the upper 80's to 90's and/or with five or six big cruise ships in port. See more at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 75, 975 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

This is Dubrovnik’s Pile Gate as the grand western entrance to the walled city.:

DubPileGate2Enter.jpg

In front of the Rector’s Palace, here is a local music player entertaining for people passing.:

DubrMusicPlayerMuseum.jpg

Overlooking the historic harbor, this is the view from a cannon slot in the wall.

4DubvHarborCannon.jpg

Along the NW area of the walled city, here is the view of the nearby Lovrijenac Fortress and the water.:

4DubrFotressPeopleWatch.jpg

Here is a view along a portion of the Dubrovnik wall as it sits on top of the rocks, overlooking the water of the Adriatic Sea.: Facing the Adriatic Sea, this is one of the gates and passages along the walled walk. Very scenic!!:

4aDubrWallWalkGateWaterView.jpg

If you enter at the main entrance which is located just inside of the Pile gate area, you will have 87 steps to reach the top. This will allow you to walk the sea side first since it is only done counter clockwise. This is the least difficult part to walk, the steps are scattered along the way, some up and some down and you will find a few spots to rest. Once you reach the old port, that is the half way point, you can go down either at the Maritime Museum or continue to the Ploce exit about 200 meters further. The land side of the wall is the most difficult and it will then begin to work upward until you reach Minceta Tower the high point of the wall. Keep in mind the 1080 total count does include the steps at all 3 entrances, but the sea side is only about 600 or so. If you go beyond Ploce exit, you are committed to return to the main entrance. It is not necessary to walk the entire circuit, just do the sea side and you will have seen the magnificent views.

I stopped walking the walls after doing the entire circuit 3 days in a row last year. My knees also gave out and it took me one week to recover.

Is this "climb" the only way to see the city? I am traveling with my mom, not sure on how difficult this might be for her. What you have described sounds wonderful but...concerned for my mom. She doesn't really have mobility issues but she is 73.

Is this "climb" the only way to see the city? I am traveling with my mom, not sure on how difficult this might be for her. What you have described sounds wonderful but...concerned for my mom. She doesn't really have mobility issues but she is 73.

There are 3 separate entrances to the wall, the main entrance closest to the Pile gate. The other is Ploce, which is of course closest to Ploce gate and the last is near the Maritime Museum. The least difficult half is the sea side, with the land side being the most with the upward steps.

I am close to your mother in age and if I could do it 3 days in a row, she having no mobility problems can probably do it also. Age does not seem to stop many guests, I have seen many elderly folks up there as well as the younger ones who power walk it. Discuss the walk with her, I am sure she will let you know if she is up to it.

If you do not want to walk the wall, then perhaps you might be interested in taking the cable car up to Mt. Srd, the view is more than breathtaking. You will also have the option of letting her do the Cabrio bus trip, it also stops at one of our viewpoints above the old town.

I have a fear of heights, symtoms recently appeared. Can I walk the walls? There have been several fort walls I have tried, ie Malaga, and could not complete....I'd like to try but???????????? Your help would be appreciated.

I have a fear of heights, symtoms recently appeared. Can I walk the walls? There have been several fort walls I have tried, ie Malaga, and could not complete....I'd like to try but???????????? Your help would be appreciated.

I also suffer from a fear of heights and have difficulty on the bus going to the airport here. However because the pathway on the wall is wide and it does have sides, I do not get that queasy feeling up there. The wall is often not that high, but do limit yourself to the sea side it is the least difficult part. Good luck and do let me know how it turns out.

Photo below is part of the wall walk.

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

Agree, that things should work out fine. Hope that it works out and that you can experience the wall walk. We loved that experience!!

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 78,514 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Thank you Dubrovniktravelady, if it is not raining I may try it.

When we walked the wall a few years ago, there was no issue on the wall with heights; but the steps at the Pile gate were quite stressful to us. We hugged the inside wall.

Mike

DUB_9459%20steps.jpg

When we walked the wall a few years ago, there was no issue on the wall with heights; but the steps at the Pile gate were quite stressful to us. We hugged the inside wall.

Mike

DUB_9459%20steps.jpg

The trick to going up the 87 steps at the main entrance is to count them, it takes your mind off the upward trek.

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

The trick to going up the 87 steps at the main entrance is to count them, it takes your mind off the upward trek.

I did, believe me I did.:D I also thought about the beautiful view that awaited us. Fortunately it gets better as you climb with the stair wall getting higher near the top.

We are so looking forward to returning to your lovely Dubrovnik when we board the Silhouette next week. We have so much more to see that we missed last time when the rain started after we got off the wall.

Dubrovniktravellady, back in 1996, then US Commerce Secretary Ron Brown and 35 others on a trade mission perished in a plane crash on approach to Dubrovnik. A memorial consisting of a large steel cross was placed at the site of the crash on St. John's (Sveti Ivan) mountain. Is it difficult to reach this memorial or can it at least be seen from a distance somewhere Dubrovnik? Not your usual question but it has personal meaning to me. Thanks! Rob

We are planning on seeing the town and taking the cable cars and we would like a nice sit down lunch. Any one have a good recommendation? Include prices :) maybe seafood or some local cuisine !

We were in Dubrovnik in August. Of course you want to stroll along the wall as well as ride the cable car. I do not remember the name of the place we ate lunch but there are many quaint places that have seating in the alleys along the main roads within the city walls. It was the free wi-fi, and the neatly clothed tables sitting outside of one particular place that drew us in. You might google Rick Steves Dubrovnik/Croatia information as I think he lists places to eat. Dubrovnik was my husband's favorite place on our cruise last summer. He even rates it higher than Venice! Hope you have a fantastic time!