Best Princess Ship??

cruzinj

Rob, for what it's worth, I agree with you. Admittedly, I don't understand it all, but I appreciate your positive and intelligent contribution to the discussion and your ability to take criticism with grace. :)

I've only been on the Grand and the Dawn so I really don't like one better than the other. Both had something that I liked. Someday, the Coral!

Rob:

For what it is worth I agree with you as well.........and like Historybuff......not sure I completely understand the whole concept.......

but I do know I would like you to help me with my taxes next April...:D :D

Sounds good to me! LOL!

Jim

Spongerob is correct in his statistical analysys! Happy to see the Regal come out on top - that is our favorite also - next would be the Sun Class ships - We have had oine experience on the Grand Class (Golden) and, although a nice cruise, found thet getting from A to B on it proved to be somewhat difficult even with the crib card in hand.

Those of you who have only been on the Grand Class and Carib - I don't know how you can make a judgement??

We will be giving it another chance though - we have a B/B in February on the Star.

I, too, am a retired engineer.

Ron

Rob, you never cease to amaze me with your intelligence! That was great that you figured that all out and explained it to us all, way to go Rob! Impossible to do it any other way taking in the amount of passengers in the formula does play a big part in it.

Many thanks!

Spongerob is correct in his statistical analysys! Happy to see the Regal come out on top - that is our favorite also - next would be the Sun Class ships - We have had oine experience on the Grand Class (Golden) and, although a nice cruise, found thet getting from A to B on it proved to be somewhat difficult even with the crib card in hand.

Those of you who have only been on the Grand Class and Carib - I don't know how you can make a judgement??

We will be giving it another chance though - we have a B/B in February on the Star.

I, too, am a retired engineer.

Ron

I am one who has only had experience with one ship, one cruise, the CB. But after looking at the Princess website at the Regal and the Royal, I think I would definitely prefer the Grand Class ships. A large reason for that is the Regal and the Royal appear to have only one pool, and that would be a minus for one who wants to be in the water. The staterooms seem to be a bit bland too. Mind you, I am not slamming anyones choice, we are all different and each have our own priorities. Just trying to explain MY reasons for loving the larger ships. I enjoyed the adult pools, away from the crowds, and games and having a bit of peace and quiet. I love kids, but being with them all day is my job, so its nice to have something different on a cruise. I also enjoyed the many different eating venues.

If you are referring to statitics, bdjam, they can be exactly what you want to make them. From my perspective, MUTS, and less formal on formal nights, and larger ships, seem to be catching on like wildfire. Extra cost venues, and kids cruising are here to stay! If there are ships you can sail that meet your "desires", sail them. Give me something new and exciting. I might want to wear a TUX.... maybe not.... who really cares. I might want to see a movie by the pool (especially on the big screen) or not. I might want to eat when and where I want to. But to have the choices is what I want. Maybe I am the crazy one!!!!!! But Princess, "YOU GO GIRL" Give me choices... My choices!
It is interesting how my opinion of MUTS gets trashed every time I post it, but when I post about anything I seem to be baited with a MUTS discussion. So, I’m out of it on this one.

But to respond to your post, Princess has charged itself with the task of appealing to cruisers from more than just your perspective – or mine for that matter. The continued success of the cruise line depends on their ability to appeal to you and appeal to me. I don’t believe that Princess can continue to earn top revenue for Carnival Corporation if they abandon either one of us – and I do believe that is their objective, otherwise they wouldn’t have gone into direct competition with RCI in the Caribbean. So while what the Caribbean fleet is to become may appeal to you, it does not to me. And Princess is much more than the Caribbean fleet – sort of like this topic.

The fact that I choose Regal Princess has nothing to do with the number of choices on board. Maybe I’m not greedy, but the choices presented on Regal Princess are quite varied and are enough for me. The fact that I might have a few less than on a Grand Class ship is far outweighed by the quality of the product offered on this smaller ship.

Since actual experience seems to be the measure of valid posts on this board for some, please review the lists of ships on which I’ve sailed noted in my signature. You’ll see that unlike some others, I have experienced the spectrum of the ships that Princess has to offer.

Catching on like wildfire..........I love that one!
As for larger ships catching on like “wildfire,” again, I believe that statement needs to be qualified. Larger ships are not catching on like wildfire everywhere – they are in the Caribbean. Larger ships are mostly what are offered in the Caribbean, at least from the players who feel it is a viable market. Larger ships appeal to first time cruisers who are a target market for the cruise lines. Larger ships are more economical to operate. But larger ships are not the end all. I don’t believe the cruise market in total will move in this direction. Until us old farts die off, there will still be a market for those who prefer quality of experience over quantity of choice.

Finally, to speak to 'rob's statistical analysis...it explains why Princess continues to sail Regal, Tahitian, Pacific...

One more part to add to your analysis - for one to rate a Princess ship as a "best" would not one have to have experienced a cruise on all of the various Princess class ships? A lot of the responses coming in were from people who have only been on the Grand Class and Carib so how can their response even figure into the original question?

Ron

Finally, to speak to 'rob's statistical analysis...why do you think Princess continues to sail Regal, Tahitian, Pacific...?

Simple - they're paid for. I'm not sure how cruise lines depreciate their assets, but in my own business all CAPEX is depreciated over 7 years. If I want to order a new pump truck, my operation will be charged the depreciation value every month until that unit is fully depreciated. After that, it's paid for, and everything I earn from that unit, less maintenance and supplies, goes to the bottom line. Assets that are fully depreciated are cash cows.

Bigger ships aren't catching on like wildfire, they're an economic necessity. For example, Golden Princess originally "cost" $450 million, or about $370,000 per cabin. If you can use the same hull and increase the number of cabins, the added cost is minimal. So, a ship like Caribbean Princess might be built for around $325,000 per cabin. That's very important, when you are dealing with a highly price-conscious clientele. Anything that can be done to lower costs will improve return on investment.

If you wanted to pay off the Golden in 5 years, you would have to charge an average of about $1500 per cabin per sailing, whereas you could do the same with the Caribbean Princess for $1300 per cabin per sailing. Before anyone picks my math apart, I'm well aware that I'm not including present value calculations or operating expense. A cost difference of $100 per person, now that might catch on like wildfire.

Bdjam you cant really think anyone to be greedy because they wish to partake of the many choices available on Grand Class ships. Nor would I think anything wrong with the reasons you choose to cruise smaller ships. I am very glad that both are available to us, so we can ALL make our choices. I have done my share of land tours overseas, and these days I would rather be on a gorgeous sunny beach in the Caribbean, or on a ship thats headed there. Whatever floats your boat, and makes you happy, is what you should do, and the same for all of us. (As long as its legal and doesnt hurt anyone else)

My favorite is the Island/Coral Princess. I think the design really gives you a smaller ship feel with all of the amenities of a bigger ship but not the crowds.

Scott

Scott. I agree. Two cruises this year on the Coral Princess made me a believer. We will be on the Island Princess this April and I am sure it will the same cruise experience..

[quote name='bdjam']The fact that I choose Regal Princess has nothing to do with the number of choices on board. Maybe I’m not greedy, but the choices presented on Regal Princess are quite varied and are enough for me. The fact that I might have a few less than on a Grand Class ship is far outweighed by the quality of the product offered on this smaller ship. [/QUOTE]

I think what you probably really mean here is that you don't require a lot of variety in onboard choices for dinner, activities, entertainment, such as what the bigger, newer ships offer. It's easy to read your quote and misunderstand; infer that you are saying that everyone who likes the bigger ships must be greedy, and from there, you can infer a number of other adjectives which aren't very complimentary.

But I can relate to some of what you say because I am not easily bored. I think I'd love the smaller ships as much as the larger ones, albeit for different reasons. I do have friends that would be bored on a smaller ship. That is nothing against them. It doesn't make them less intelligent or whatever. They like to always be doing something, and the more choices...the better.
It's simply a different personality than my own. I tend to get 'saturated' really fast with too much outside stimulation going on all the time.

So I guess what I'm saying here is that it's wonderful that there are so many different cruise lines and ships within the cruise lines to choose from. I'm not that experienced, but it seems there is something for everybody. Since I've been cruising, I've heard from some of the more experienced cruisers that things have changed from 5 or ten years ago, and that this or that cruise line is 'deteriorating.' (These things are posted on practically every cruise line messageboard; it's not limited to Princess). Well...as for deterioration, that may be, or it may not. It could be that the cruise line is just evolving, and the experienced cruisers simply prefer it the way that it used to be. At the same time, perhaps another cruise line is evolving into the type that these experienced cruisers would like more, and it may be time for them to make a change. Oceania is relatively new, as is MSC. I know it's sad to say farewell to something you've really enjoyed, but after all...that is part of life. One door closes, but there is some new opportunity opening up just around the corner.

Spongerob

Regal probably is paid for, but I doubt that Tahitian and Pacific are yet paid for, as they were obtained through a lease/purchase agreement after Renaissance went belly up.

You may recall that Princess picked them up in the same deal that put another Renaissance ship in the P&O fleet as Swan Hellenic's Minerva II.

"It is interesting how my opinion of MUTS gets trashed every time I post it, but when I post about anything I seem to be baited with a MUTS discussion. So, I’m out of it on this one. "

It's funny that no-matter how a thread gets started.. somehow, someway it always ends up being a debate on MUTS:p

I find it funny

[quote name='Druke I']Spongerob

Regal probably is paid for, but I doubt that Tahitian and Pacific are yet paid for, as they were obtained through a lease/purchase agreement after Renaissance went belly up.

You may recall that Princess picked them up in the same deal that put another Renaissance ship in the P&O fleet as Swan Hellenic's Minerva II.[/QUOTE]Michael, you are correct. I believe that one of the two former R-ships was heavily subsidized by the French government when constructed, with the proviso that it be dedicated to Tahitian waters.

Anyway, I won't get into it any further, and shall endeavor to restrict my comments in the foreseeable future to threads no more controversial than doc dances.

[quote name='cruzinj']

It's funny that no-matter how a thread gets started.. somehow, someway it always ends up being a debate on MUTS:p

I find it funny[/QUOTE]

goes to show that MUTS isn't loved by all!!! Here lies the reason for so much debating on the subject!!

[b][size=5]As of now my vote is for sky princess!![/size][/b]

One more time - How can anyone who has not experienced all of the Princess Class ships come up with an accurate response to the OP's question??

We have been on all except the Island/Coral class, including the Pacific - and of all of them the Regal gets our vote with the Sun Class right behind.

Ron

[quote name='coiran']One more time - How can anyone who has not experienced all of the Princess Class ships come up with an accurate response to the OP's question??

We have been on all except the Island/Coral class, including the Pacific - and of all of them the Regal gets our vote with the Sun Class right behind.

Ron[/QUOTE]
Not to argue with you Ron, but I think I did answer your question earlier on this page. I looked at the Regal and the Royal on the Princess website, and I know I would not enjoy either ship simply because they each only have one pool. I dont have to spend a week on them to know that would not enhance the cruise for me. I like the adults only pools, and enjoy the added dining options that are on the larger ships. Perhaps I did not have waiters and servers falling all over me, but more service than I experienced on the CB is not necessary for me. The service we received was more than adequate, it was perfect. I dont need to be entertained every second either, I like to relax by the pool with a good book, but I do like the options to be there.

[quote name='stoneharborlady']I dont have to spend a week on them to know that would not enhance the cruise for me. .[/QUOTE]

Ahh....watch out......their are few members who will certainly disagree with one who is just speculating!! They believe you must experience something to come to a logical conclusion. I do not agree with this thinking. I personally believe people are able to come to a decision just by knowing what they do or do not like.

Archived