Complainers

nschille04

So, I am relatively new to this board and overall I have found it to be a tremendous resource in planning my next cruise. A lot of posters have a wealth of knowledge on travel and have saved me time and probably some money. I have noticed however, that this board is filled with whiners. Now, maybe bringing this up, and my subsequent post, will make me exactly the type of complainer that I’m criticizing….I guess that’s a change I’m willing to take.

The world isn’t perfect. You’ll never meet anyone who tells you it is…Things go wrong. Sometimes the weather is unpleasant. Sometimes the water is choppy. None of the bad things that happen on a cruise are done to specifically inconvenience anyone. The Captain doesn’t skip a port because he wants to stick it to the passenger. The Chef doesn’t make the beef a little too salty because he knows it will offend your sensitive pallet. The little girl crying by the pool isn’t doing so to disturb your nap… I know sometimes these situations can be avoided and when you pay $1000+ for a vacation you expect to have a good time, but everyone’s idea of a good time (or yummy food for that matter) is different, and the cruise line can not possibly give 100% of the passengers a perfect experience 100% of the time. You are on vacation. You are not at work. You are not in the cold Midwest or mowing your lawn. Have a good time. You certainly won’t get your money’s worth if you spend your whole trip sulking.

In short, don’t sweat the small stuff. If you are cruising, you obviously are in good enough health to travel, have some level of discretionary income, and got a few days off of work. That’s more than a lot of people have.

You are correct in everything you said. This community is a place to get knowledge and share knowledge. And it is also a place so people can "vent" get what the want off there chests and then move on.

We all take the good with the bad. Welcome to Cruise Critic.

So, I am relatively new to this board and overall I have found it to be a tremendous resource in planning my next cruise. A lot of posters have a wealth of knowledge on travel and have saved me time and probably some money. I have noticed however, that this board is filled with whiners. Now, maybe bringing this up, and my subsequent post, will make me exactly the type of complainer that I’m criticizing….I guess that’s a change I’m willing to take.

The world isn’t perfect. You’ll never meet anyone who tells you it is…Things go wrong. Sometimes the weather is unpleasant. Sometimes the water is choppy. None of the bad things that happen on a cruise are done to specifically inconvenience anyone. The Captain doesn’t skip a port because he wants to stick it to the passenger. The Chef doesn’t make the beef a little too salty because he knows it will offend your sensitive pallet. The little girl crying by the pool isn’t doing so to disturb your nap… I know sometimes these situations can be avoided and when you pay $1000+ for a vacation you expect to have a good time, but everyone’s idea of a good time (or yummy food for that matter) is different, and the cruise line can not possibly give 100% of the passengers a perfect experience 100% of the time. You are on vacation. You are not at work. You are not in the cold Midwest or mowing your lawn. Have a good time. You certainly won’t get your money’s worth if you spend your whole trip sulking.

In short, don’t sweat the small stuff. If you are cruising, you obviously are in good enough health to travel, have some level of discretionary income, and got a few days off of work. That’s more than a lot of people have.

Good post.. :)

I can't even remember now, five or six years ago I wrote a very similar post to this board. It's really hard to understand why some of these folks complain about what they complain about. I finally figured they are just unhappy in life, people. What a sad way to spend ones time here, time that we get just once.

Thanks for the post, every once in a while it's good to be reminded just how lucky lots of us are.

Chuck

Yep...I ignore complainers like the plague. Life is too short to be unhappy but there are people who seem to revel in it. Can't say that I have always had perfect times but I can say that I always had good times, even when things go wrong.

Personally, I think the last 6 months or so there have been far more whinners and complainers on CC. Yes, there have always been those that complain, or those that think they should receive something for nothing. But the last 6 months, it seem that every forth or fifth post is someone needing to 'vent' or 'whine' or 'complain' about anything and everything.

It's sad that so many are so upset and unhappy compared to previous years. Is it the economy? Don't know, but I agree with you, there are a lot of very unhappy cruisers out there now. :(

I don't think everyone who complains is a miserable human being who just can't be satisfied no matter what.

I think the disappointment that results when someone from San Diego books a Mex Riviera cruise that ends up taking them to Cataliina, San Diego and Santa Barbara is completely reasonable. People book vacations for various reasons -- maybe they just want to be on the ship, maybe they just like buffets, maybe they want an opportunity to visit a particular port. It's reasonable for them to be disappointed if their ship is taken to drydock, the buffet is closed down or the port is skipped. Expressing that disappointment is not whining.

I don't think telling these people that they are miserable human beings is quite right. To those who think it is, I suggest that you can save quite a bit of money and effort by just pretending your cruise has been canceled and checking into your local Holiday Inn Express. After all, if your attitude is so good that you can't possibly be disappointed no matter what cards you may be dealt, you will enjoy that just as much as you'd enjoy your long-awaited weeks in the Caribbean on a Princess ship.

Disappointment is natural part of life, but letting disappointment sour you on what could still be a fun trip is just not that smart.

The situation with the Mexican Rivera cruise was unfortunate and I do feel bad for those who had their trips changed, but I have a hard time feeling that bad…They still got to go on a cruise. I do not want to get into this topic to much, because after reading some posts on it, I can tell people feel very passionate about the issue, but I will say that I am going on a honeymoon cruise in November. My fiancé has never been on a vacation and we are both very excited about the cruise. That said, if the itinerary was suddenly radically changed, we would be all the more determined to make the most of our trip…and praying for those who are living in the area affected by the pandemic (hypothetical pandemic in this situation).

The situation with the Mexican Rivera cruise was unfortunate and I do feel bad for those who had their trips changed, but I have a hard time feeling that bad…They still got to go on a cruise.

That's a great attitude, I agree. But, it does beg the question of why anyone bothers choosing a particular itinerary. What's the point of booking a cruise, if you don't care where they take you, or even if you get to leave the pier?

Enjoy your honeymoon! I hope it takes you where you are planning to go, and if not, I hope it leaves the pier, and if not, I'm sure it will be a great vacation, anyway! :)

In my opinion, you will always have people who complain about EVERYTHING! It's just their nature. They are just sad, sad people.

But, in general, some complaints are legitimate and people have a right to vent. But, some complaints are not the cruiselines fault. They are just looking out for the safety and well-being of the passengers. Me, for one, am just happy to not be at work, not have to cook, clean, etc. Stick me on a ship and take me anywhere, and I'm happy. Sure, I'd be disappointed if the itinerary changed, (which has happened) or the weather wasn't so cooperative. But, I'm just glad to be there regardless.

Some people live to complain. It's just that plain and simple.

Do you ever wonder why you see more complaints than praises? And, most complainers are first time posters, never heard from again. Go figure.

To the OP, I think you hit the nail on the head. :)

Toto you are right the last 6 months some have been ridiculous. :rolleyes:

To the OP, excellent post. To Keith and Sue, I've noticed the same trend here recently and I'm wondering - why do you think this is happening?

most complainers are first time posters, never heard from again.

I can only answer that from my own perspective. After you've been to Grand Cayman 12 times, if your itinerary happens to skip Grand Cayman, it's a lot less of an issue than if you're on your first cruise looking very much forward to each stop.

So, I think people who have cruised quite a lot are less likely to care (complain) about itinerary changes -- chances are, they've already been there, anyway, and are more likely to be content to enjoy the ship when a port is missed.

Why don't some of these complainers come back and post again? Perhaps reading eight different responses that say "You should have read your cruise contract" is not their cup of tea. To each his own.

I have noticed however, that this board is filled with whiners. Now, maybe bringing this up, and my subsequent post, will make me exactly the type of complainer that I’m criticizing….I guess that’s a change I’m willing to take.

In short, don’t sweat the small stuff.

JMOP

You are whinning about the whiners about what they are whining about:confused:

'Small stuff' - clearly size is relative so what is small to one might be a giant to other. Recently people are experiencing more fears and frustration and needing more 'maybe unrealistic' from their vacation. I think people might make the mistake of thinking people hiding a computer screen will often sympathy, something which should be seek from family of friends.

Now I wonder what would happen to this thread if it was NOT about whiners, but about all the great posters who devote thier time to help. I see a lot threads about whiners on all boards but never about the people who share where they have been so you can get excited about where you are going. Maybe we should all focus on posters like Pam, Toto who share they experience for us to benefit from. I for me, i don't care why anyone is complaining about but rather thank the great posters who get lost among the complaints:D

To the OP, I think you hit the nail on the head. :)

Toto you are right the last 6 months some have been ridiculous. :rolleyes:

I'm with you two. I have never experienced so many whiners and complainers as in the last 6 months or so.

Mike:)

To the OP, excellent post. To Keith and Sue, I've noticed the same trend here recently and I'm wondering - why do you think this is happening?

Hello to all,

Let's think about this for a moment, Hummmm, the stock market went down to 6500 on March 9th. My guess would be that a lot of people saw a major part of their savings go down the tube.

Could this possibly be people that had already paid for their cruise? Just possibly could people be stressed from this? Then you mix in the feeling of being shorted on your cruise, or watching others get better options regarding changing, rescheduling or canceling their cruise (without losing money), you may just get some uptight and angry passengers (or as you would call them, Not Me) whiners.

It seems to me that given the economic conditions right now, that just possibly the Princess cheerleaders may be wrong.

Oh I know that can't be, The glorious Princess can't be at fault !!!, or can they? I have sailed on Princess and I like them, but any company is there to look out for the bottom line. Sometime the passenger's happiness is expendable to a certain degree.

Some of the posters (cheerleaders) have been to the same ports so many times that they could care less if they leave the ship at all. Not all are that lucky, and with money getting tighter by the day, you can expect 2 things to happen, 1 - More complaining, 2 - Cruise lines will listen or perish. They alone will chose.

Hello to all,

Let's think about this for a moment, Hummmm, the stock market went down to 6500 on March 9th. My guess would be that a lot of people saw a major part of their savings go down the tube.

Could this possibly be people that had already paid for their cruise? Just possibly could people be stressed from this? Then you mix in the feeling of being shorted on your cruise, or watching others get better options regarding changing, rescheduling or canceling their cruise (without losing money), you may just get some uptight and angry passengers (or as you would call them, Not Me) whiners.

It seems to me that given the economic conditions right now, that just possibly the Princess cheerleaders may be wrong.

Oh I know that can't be, The glorious Princess can't be at fault !!!, or can they? I have sailed on Princess and I like them, but any company is there to look out for the bottom line. Sometime the passenger's happiness is expendable to a certain degree.

Some of the posters (cheerleaders) have been to the same ports so many times that they could care less if they leave the ship at all. Not all are that lucky, and with money getting tighter by the day, you can expect 2 things to happen, 1 - More complaining, 2 - Cruise lines will listen or perish. They alone will chose.

I wonder what complaints are bothering the OP. This site is pretty tame compared to reviews on tripadvisor dot com and having a little balance among these posts is a good thing. I really think that some people take negative comments about Princess and other lines a bit too personally on these boards. Generally, if a lot of people are complaining about similar things, I give some credence to those things. The same goes for what I read on tripadvisor dot com and people there are much tougher than they are over here.

I have no problems with the cheerleaders though. Many of them know the ins and outs of each ship and provide valuable information. But I've got my BS filters out for the extreme cheerleaders as well as the habitual complainers.

Cheerleaders are fine as long as you know who they are and they are easy to spot because as far as they are concerned, whatever cruise line they are championing is NEVER wrong. You just, as the poster above said so well, have to remember to use your BS filter when reading the cheerleaders post. They have good and useful info, but the "can do no wrong" is misleading. There is no perfect cruise line or ship.:)

Archived