Complainers

nschille04

The way I see it - people are asking your opinion - I am not going sugar coat mine (within reason) - if I feel something is substandard I am going to be honest and tell it like it is. I know I listen to all the wisdom of other posters - We all must remember that we are paying our hard earned cash and Yes we expect a great cruise experience - if its not then the cruiseline should be made aware of any problems so that they can be fixed -that is how everyone benefits. Just my opinon;)

Excuse me but I have a complaint!!!

It's about the incessant number of complaints on this complaint thread entitled...you guessed it...COMPLAINTS :mad:

...and now for something completely different!!! :eek:

Here I thought all the bitching, ballyhoo and bellyaching occurred on most threads anyway. Well at last, it's certainly great to see that we have only 1 thread instead of 101 dedicated to the fine art of, good grief... complaining. :D

Ciao for now!!!

So, I am relatively new to this board and overall I have found it to be a tremendous resource in planning my next cruise. A lot of posters have a wealth of knowledge on travel and have saved me time and probably some money. I have noticed however, that this board is filled with whiners. Now, maybe bringing this up, and my subsequent post, will make me exactly the type of complainer that I’m criticizing….I guess that’s a change I’m willing to take.

The world isn’t perfect. You’ll never meet anyone who tells you it is…Things go wrong. Sometimes the weather is unpleasant. Sometimes the water is choppy. None of the bad things that happen on a cruise are done to specifically inconvenience anyone. The Captain doesn’t skip a port because he wants to stick it to the passenger. The Chef doesn’t make the beef a little too salty because he knows it will offend your sensitive pallet. The little girl crying by the pool isn’t doing so to disturb your nap… I know sometimes these situations can be avoided and when you pay $1000+ for a vacation you expect to have a good time, but everyone’s idea of a good time (or yummy food for that matter) is different, and the cruise line can not possibly give 100% of the passengers a perfect experience 100% of the time. You are on vacation. You are not at work. You are not in the cold Midwest or mowing your lawn. Have a good time. You certainly won’t get your money’s worth if you spend your whole trip sulking.

In short, don’t sweat the small stuff. If you are cruising, you obviously are in good enough health to travel, have some level of discretionary income, and got a few days off of work. That’s more than a lot of people have.

And now in my book, you're a complainer for complaining about the complainers. I see that you haven't posted a lot on these boards and hear what you have to say. But this is a public message board, and it's supposed to the be place where people come to vent. I don't appreciate messages like this that try to discourage people from posting their experiences. I want to hear the good and the bad, and I can filter my own information. Trying to cut off the flow of information is a bad thing.

So what if someone is a whiner or a complainer to you? They may have information that it helpful to me, and you're not in control of who posts what on the boards. And so what if someone posts something you don't like? Simply click on another thread and move on (I do it every time I read the boards).

Three rules we have at my house that apply here:

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig. :)

Don't hit the baby.

Don't feed the monkey.

Happy travels,

Donna

And now in my book, you're a complainer for complaining about the complainers. I see that you haven't posted a lot on these boards and hear what you have to say. But this is a public message board, and it's supposed to the be place where people come to vent. I don't appreciate messages like this that try to discourage people from posting their experiences. I want to hear the good and the bad, and I can filter my own information. Trying to cut off the flow of information is a bad thing.

So what if someone is a whiner or a complainer to you? They may have information that it helpful to me, and you're not in control of who posts what on the boards. And so what if someone posts something you don't like? Simply click on another thread and move on (I do it every time I read the boards).

Don't hit the baby.

Don't feed the monkey.

Happy travels,

Donna

Great post Donna. I find it a bit ironic that someone new to cruising comes to a site called "cruise critic" and is turned off by criticism of cruiselines and their policies. ;) You don't get this kind of balance on cruiselines or the cruise industry anywhere but this site and I am a big fan of this site and the differences in opinions out here.

Don't hit the baby.

Don't feed the monkey.

Happy travels,

Donna

Nice Post Donna!!!

So, I am relatively new to this board and overall I have found it to be a tremendous resource in planning my next cruise. A lot of posters have a wealth of knowledge on travel and have saved me time and probably some money. I have noticed however, that this board is filled with whiners. Now, maybe bringing this up, and my subsequent post, will make me exactly the type of complainer that I’m criticizing….I guess that’s a change I’m willing to take.

The world isn’t perfect. You’ll never meet anyone who tells you it is…Things go wrong. Sometimes the weather is unpleasant. Sometimes the water is choppy. None of the bad things that happen on a cruise are done to specifically inconvenience anyone. The Captain doesn’t skip a port because he wants to stick it to the passenger. The Chef doesn’t make the beef a little too salty because he knows it will offend your sensitive pallet. The little girl crying by the pool isn’t doing so to disturb your nap… I know sometimes these situations can be avoided and when you pay $1000+ for a vacation you expect to have a good time, but everyone’s idea of a good time (or yummy food for that matter) is different, and the cruise line can not possibly give 100% of the passengers a perfect experience 100% of the time. You are on vacation. You are not at work. You are not in the cold Midwest or mowing your lawn. Have a good time. You certainly won’t get your money’s worth if you spend your whole trip sulking.

In short, don’t sweat the small stuff. If you are cruising, you obviously are in good enough health to travel, have some level of discretionary income, and got a few days off of work. That’s more than a lot of people have.

Well said..................:):):)

Bob

Don't hit the baby.

Don't feed the monkey.

Happy travels,

Donna

I respectfully disagree...The first part of your post (IMHO) sounds like whinning.....

Bob

Complain...whine....express yourself, but most importantly, get out and cruise where and when you can!

......Three rules we have at my house that apply here:

Don't hit the baby.

Don't feed the monkey.

Happy travels,

Donna

I think the original poster made a valid point. I have cruised quite a number of times, and will be again in two weeks with a family group. Since I am the senior and more experienced member, I was asked if I could provide information to sites such as these for hte newbies to get a taste.

I commented back that I would not recommend this, as lately it has seemed that the preponderence of articles are not the ones that are critical of cruising and the cruising experience, but rather of those that took the time to respond and provide their thoughts.

We seem so quick to jump in to correct everyone, when all we want to base our opinion on, is that it is indeed our opinion. I see seasoned cruisers fromteh US jump on posters because their information is not correct, according to the US standards. Then we find out that rules and conditions are different in Aus, or England or Canada. The same thing happens on responses from those areas, when commenting on a US based question.

We have many prolific people on here who like to make their opinions known. Most times they are courteous and usually correct. But there is also those that pride themselves on simply being critical and correcting everyone, or in making snide comments. I am sure many of us have certain names we follow for their expertise, and others who we simply ignore as nuisance posters. Some of these nuisances are very quick to report other posters to the moderators, with lies and innuendo, when they do not get their way or when they feel they were called on their lack of understanding or common courtesy.

I did not feel the newbies in my group would be able to adequately remove the wheat from the chaff. And mostly I wanted them to have an unbiased point of view, and not be overly concerned on how to get over rules , regulations, and common courtesies of cruising. I do not want them to know how to not go to the Fire Drill, or how to smuggle liquors, or how to stiff on tips. I do not want people telling them it is "all right" when it is indeed not.

I know many of you say the name is Cruise Critic, and it is our job to be critical.....I would like to see the Charter or Mission statement of this site, as I doubt that is quite how they put it. Yes, I want people to share experiences, both good and bad.

Bottom line is, I agree that lately this board has gotten more "critical" of both cruise experiences, and of each other. Perhaps it is the sign of the times or the effect of the economy on us?

I respectfully disagree...The first part of your post (IMHO) sounds like whinning.....

Bob

That's exactly my point, so thanks for backing it up. Other board members wrote to thank me and you do or don't agree with me. But this is a public message board, so that's what it's all about. As long as I meet the board guidelines, I'm free to whine or not whine away as I please, and no one controls my posts other than me.

:) Donna

I think the original poster made a valid point. I have cruised quite a number of times, and will be again in two weeks with a family group. Since I am the senior and more experienced member, I was asked if I could provide information to sites such as these for hte newbies to get a taste.

I commented back that I would not recommend this, as lately it has seemed that the preponderence of articles are not the ones that are critical of cruising and the cruising experience, but rather of those that took the time to respond and provide their thoughts.

We seem so quick to jump in to correct everyone, when all we want to base our opinion on, is that it is indeed our opinion. I see seasoned cruisers fromteh US jump on posters because their information is not correct, according to the US standards. Then we find out that rules and conditions are different in Aus, or England or Canada. The same thing happens on responses from those areas, when commenting on a US based question.

We have many prolific people on here who like to make their opinions known. Most times they are courteous and usually correct. But there is also those that pride themselves on simply being critical and correcting everyone, or in making snide comments. I am sure many of us have certain names we follow for their expertise, and others who we simply ignore as nuisance posters. Some of these nuisances are very quick to report other posters to the moderators, with lies and innuendo, when they do not get their way or when they feel they were called on their lack of understanding or common courtesy.

I did not feel the newbies in my group would be able to adequately remove the wheat from the chaff. And mostly I wanted them to have an unbiased point of view, and not be overly concerned on how to get over rules , regulations, and common courtesies of cruising. I do not want them to know how to not go to the Fire Drill, or how to smuggle liquors, or how to stiff on tips. I do not want people telling them it is "all right" when it is indeed not.

I know many of you say the name is Cruise Critic, and it is our job to be critical.....I would like to see the Charter or Mission statement of this site, as I doubt that is quite how they put it. Yes, I want people to share experiences, both good and bad.

Bottom line is, I agree that lately this board has gotten more "critical" of both cruise experiences, and of each other. Perhaps it is the sign of the times or the effect of the economy on us?

Nobody should have a problem with criticisms of the cruiselines and their policies. There already is a policy here against flaming and other personal attacks. In that respect, there is nothing wrong with this site the way it is and the moderators do a pretty good job of enforcing the rules.

I really don't care if people ask about taking liquor with them on board and the policing efforts by each cruiseline in stopping it. I think that topic and others relate to enforcement of policies.

I know that there are other messageboards out there that are "nicer" to cruiselines. But the critical element is what we have here and that helps with participation.

Nobody should have a problem with criticisms of the cruiselines and their policies. There already is a policy here against flaming and other personal attacks. In that respect, there is nothing wrong with this site the way it is and the moderators do a pretty good job of enforcing the rules.

I really don't care if people ask about taking liquor with them on board and the policing efforts by each cruiseline in stopping it. I think that topic and others relate to enforcement of policies.

I know that there are other messageboards out there that are "nicer" to cruiselines. But the critical element is what we have here and that helps with participation.

I agree. We are paying for our vacation and should be able to discuss our take on it. My whine/complaint could be someone best lesson learned. A complaint about food means someone budget extra for the specialty restaurant. We share different things and take away different things from each post. There is no rule against whines/complaints so those of us who do it is within the guidelines and should not be allow to feel badly for doing it. Me thinks!

in anyone's responses saying you did not have the right to respond in any way you wanted...people simply made the observation that it seems many more of the responses are negative and complaints now.

there just seems to be a lot more sad people in the Cruise Critic world now a days.

why do people assume that because we do not like things or see it your way, that we are also not entitled to our opinions.

so many want ot respond exclaiming their right to do and say whatever they want, but insinuate that others do not have that same right.

That is the observation...not that any of you do not have the right to praise or condemn on here.

in anyone's responses saying you did not have the right to respond in any way you wanted...people simply made the observation that it seems many more of the responses are negative and complaints now.

there just seems to be a lot more sad people in the Cruise Critic world now a days.

why do people assume that because we do not like things or see it your way, that we are also not entitled to our opinions.

so many want ot respond exclaiming their right to do and say whatever they want, but insinuate that others do not have that same right.

That is the observation...not that any of you do not have the right to praise or condemn on here.

I do agree with you (to a point) I feel there is always room for constructive criticism. That's what keeps the cruiselines on their toes - it serves as a sort of quality control. I know I want to know the good and the bad before I make my decision on who to spend my hard earned $ with. I feel that sometimes posters here act as if they are getting a percentage from the cruiseline. I think you should complain about what can be fixed (lousy food) and cheer about what are legitmate good points (great service, etc.). Just my opinion and I'm sticking with it.:)

Thats the problem, IMO you are not allowed to voice ANY comment/concern/opinion unless it suits the reader and by golly they will continue to berate you until eternity. :rolleyes:

Thats the problem, IMO you are not allowed to voice ANY comment/concern/opinion unless it suits the reader and by golly they will continue to berate you until eternity. :rolleyes:

Summary of this Thread:

1. OP calls out those posting negative things about Princess on this board calling them whiners.
  2. Those who respond say we are here to provide balance and both good and bad of the ships and Princess' policies.

I think many non-cheerleaders called out OP for berating those with criticism as whiners. Calling out a group of fellow members as "whiners" is a sure bet to a long and contentious thread.

Summary of this Thread:

1. OP calls out those posting negative things about Princess on this board calling them whiners.
  2. Those who respond say we are here to provide balance and both good and bad of the ships and Princess' policies.

I think many non-cheerleaders called out OP for berating those with criticism as whiners. Calling out a group of fellow members as "whiners" is a sure bet to a long and contentious thread.

You are right, as some thrive on this kind of activity. :)

You are right, as some thrive on this kind of activity. :)

Yup, odds are that people know certain key words in OP threads that will provoke this type of reaction. I have to admit that I let the provocoteurs (is that the word I'm looking for?) get the best of me.

You can say what you want but I can disagree as well.

Bob

Archived