A Guarantee Cabin Story, Just Assigned

catmand

Hi all,

There are always questions about guarantee cabins and the "Upgrade Fairy" or as I call him/her the "Upgrade Elf."

Remember, you get what you pay for and you get what you get!

So, I'm going solo and wanted to do this on the cheap, I booked a cat J inside on Sapphire. There are 3 category cabins on Plaza deck which is lower ( K, L, M) and then J on Emerald, Dolphin, and Caribe.

I booked this as a 14 day cruise. Well, you get what you pay for and I have been on enough cruises to know all about guarantee cabins. It still came as a little surprise when I got my assignment 3 days ago (I sail in 3 days) and found I was on Emerald and the first cabin in the bow. I know someone has to be there but I guess I just figured there were plenty of cabins booked after mine.

A friend is right next door. We are thinking of positive things for the location.

It's going to be quiet (people quiet)

We are right above the stage in the theater. If we don't want to go we can stay in bed and listen, especially the late show.

We won't need an alarm clock since the anchor chain will be waking us early. Since we are up early there won't be a line for breakfast. We will get lots of exercise walking, well, everywhere.

We will be the first to know if the waves are high and the water rough.

It will be real easy to find our cabin, just walk the passageway until we hit the bow and back up a few feet.

Room service should have no trouble finding the cabin. And last, at least we don't share a wall with the laundry.

It'll be fun where ever we are.

Chuck

Just got assigned my guarantee cabin today also. I too, got the same category as I booked a guarantee in. But way aft. We are above Club Fusion, hopefully that won't be too noisy. I think I'll post a question and see if anyone knows if it is noisy. pj

Glad you have a good attitude towards your assignment, and I am sure you will be fine and have a great time.

It is a good lessoned learned though to those that 'think' (not you by all means) booking a guarantee will assure them of a good upgrade and cabin location. It does happen, but also you can get exactly what you book.

A lesson learned that all upgrades or cabin assignments are not GOOD assignments.

Have a great cruise, and with your attitude, I know you will. ;)

hi all,

there are always questions about guarantee cabins and the "upgrade fairy" or as i call him/her the "upgrade elf."

remember, you get what you pay for and you get what you get!

so, i'm going solo and wanted to do this on the cheap, i booked a cat j inside on sapphire. There are 3 category cabins on plaza deck which is lower ( k, l, m) and then j on emerald, dolphin, and caribe.

i booked this as a 14 day cruise. Well, you get what you pay for and i have been on enough cruises to know all about guarantee cabins. It still came as a little surprise when i got my assignment 3 days ago (i sail in 3 days) and found i was on emerald and the first cabin in the bow. I know someone has to be there but i guess i just figured there were plenty of cabins booked after mine.

a friend is right next door. We are thinking of positive things for the location.

it's going to be quiet (people quiet)

we are right above the stage in the theater. If we don't want to go we can stay in bed and listen, especially the late show.

we won't need an alarm clock since the anchor chain will be waking us early. Since we are up early there won't be a line for breakfast. We will get lots of exercise walking, well, everywhere.

we will be the first to know if the waves are high and the water rough.

it will be real easy to find our cabin, just walk the passageway until we hit the bow and back up a few feet.

room service should have no trouble finding the cabin. And last, at least we don't share a wall with the laundry.

it'll be fun where ever we are.

chuck

lol lol lol

Hi all,

There are always questions about guarantee cabins and the "Upgrade Fairy" or as I call him/her the "Upgrade Elf."

Remember, you get what you pay for and you get what you get!

So, I'm going solo and wanted to do this on the cheap, I booked a cat J inside on Sapphire. There are 3 category cabins on Plaza deck which is lower ( K, L, M) and then J on Emerald, Dolphin, and Caribe.

I booked this as a 14 day cruise. Well, you get what you pay for and I have been on enough cruises to know all about guarantee cabins. It still came as a little surprise when I got my assignment 3 days ago (I sail in 3 days) and found I was on Emerald and the first cabin in the bow. I know someone has to be there but I guess I just figured there were plenty of cabins booked after mine.

A friend is right next door. We are thinking of positive things for the location.

It's going to be quiet (people quiet)

We are right above the stage in the theater. If we don't want to go we can stay in bed and listen, especially the late show.

We won't need an alarm clock since the anchor chain will be waking us early. Since we are up early there won't be a line for breakfast. We will get lots of exercise walking, well, everywhere.

We will be the first to know if the waves are high and the water rough.

It will be real easy to find our cabin, just walk the passageway until we hit the bow and back up a few feet.

Room service should have no trouble finding the cabin. And last, at least we don't share a wall with the laundry.

It'll be fun where ever we are.

Chuck

One other bonus by being up front is that you can go straight up to the gym early each morning. :D (We deliberately take forward cabins because this is how we start our day).

As soon as I read your post I looked at deck plans and only had to pay additional $45 to go to higher level with option to accept upgrade.

On my original there were two cabins with the sides adjoining everyones favorite room The Laundry room:eek::D

Thanks for all the comments. It really does just go to show

(I'm watching the "Doors" with Val Kilmer as Morrison.....he is great, now doing "The End" anyone around my age should remember this well. I said, SHOULD.)

there is no rhyme or reason as to cabin assignments. Why did I figure I would at least get a cabin that wasn't so forward. I booked early, lots of cabins still open. I was just made Platinum Captain's Club Member. I was doing 14 days on a ship that would have lots of folks doing 7's, so getting on and off. I called my TA and whimpered. A couple of folks on our roll call get bumped up to obstructed ocean views. I called my TA and whimpered.

Actually, my TA suggested I ask for a downgrade to Plaza deck when I board Saturday. I'm not going to do that, you know the workers at the desk, the last thing they want to hear is "can you give me a different cabin."

I'm thinking about a good sleeping bag, heck, it is Alaska.

Chuck PS: Kruisey, happy I could help.

(I'm watching the "Doors" with Val Kilmer as Morrison.....he is great, now doing "The End" anyone around my age should remember this well. I said, SHOULD.)

there is no rhyme or reason as to cabin assignments. Why did I figure I would at least get a cabin that wasn't so forward. I booked early, lots of cabins still open. I was just made Platinum Captain's Club Member. I was doing 14 days on a ship that would have lots of folks doing 7's, so getting on and off. I called my TA and whimpered. A couple of folks on our roll call get bumped up to obstructed ocean views. I called my TA and whimpered.

Actually, my TA suggested I ask for a downgrade to Plaza deck when I board Saturday. I'm not going to do that, you know the workers at the desk, the last thing they want to hear is "can you give me a different cabin."

I'm thinking about a good sleeping bag, heck, it is Alaska.

Chuck PS: Kruisey, happy I could help.

Gee you have given Princess a break also....Can you imagine how we seniors can moan and groan....:D Blame it on ones age.....;)

Chuck you have been a friend for a long time and as I told you before I just know you will make the best of it and guess what when we see each other again we will have a good laugh over it. I know that you being next door to Andi and Wil you guys will have a wonderful time. Take care.

marilyn

P.S. By the way thanks for this post. There are times we here the whimpering and yelling because someone was not upgraded. As you said "you get what you paid for".

Dating myself, I passed through the Haight Ashbury daily going to school, and I DON'T remember The End... I think...:rolleyes:

Forget the anchor except for tendered ports. What will really brighten your morning are the thrusters as the Captain maneuvers into port.

I love your attitude. Wait until the 2nd day before you ask for a downgrade ;).

Hi all,

It still came as a little surprise when I got my assignment 3 days ago (I sail in 3 days) and found I was on Emerald and the first cabin in the bow. I know someone has to be there but I guess I just figured there were plenty of cabins booked after mine.

you can always call princess, and if there is a cabin in the same category with a better location, they will change u - no problem - so try this option....otherwise ,,, u will still have a good time

you can always call princess, and if there is a cabin in the same category with a better location, they will change u - no problem - so try this option....otherwise ,,, u will still have a good time

We have done that in the past. Only booked a guarantee a few times, but if there are other staterooms available in that category, we have been able to switch to a more desireable location. But, this is only if the category has space available. ;)

Over the years we were pretty much "guarantee" people...had a couple of really nice upgrades and others that were nice. Well our luck ran out a few years ago...we were assigned a balcony on the Lido deck. Now I know people rave about the Lido deck, but we just don't care for it. Seems like when you come in the glass doors that are behind the pizza and burger grill there is always food that has been spilled and left on the carpeted areas. Our cabin was the 5th. one from the bow and right below the gym, it was a constant thumping from the treadmills and hearing the weights being dropped.

Now this part has nothing to do with the location or gurantee as it could take place anywhere on the ship...but the gentleman next to us had a constant need to relieve himself of gas out on the balcony....I swear he had enough bottled up he could have propeled the ship all by himself!!!

No more guarantee's for us....we pick the location.

I have NEVER had a cabin on the Lido deck.

marcoigna.....thanks for the tip but this is a very strange situation. Princess booked it as a fourteen day and/or a seven day that you could book back to back, or just as a seven day. At the time I was assigned a cabin everything was listed as wait listed. Just a few days before the front seven and fourteen was booked but the southbound return was WIDE open, every category was open. I don't know how it filled up in two days, but what do I know?

I have never had a cabin on the Lido deck.

Chuck

A great story, a friend told us, one night he was a little "gassy" and ducked out one of the promenade deck doors. He looked around and let one go, just before he realized there was a couple in the shadows about 10 feet away. He didn't react to them, just turned back toward the door saying" and it's so clear out here, funny you can hear the fog horn."

I have NEVER had a cabin on the Lido deck.

marcoigna.....thanks for the tip but this is a very strange situation. Princess booked it as a fourteen day and/or a seven day that you could book back to back, or just as a seven day. At the time I was assigned a cabin everything was listed as wait listed. Just a few days before the front seven and fourteen was booked but the southbound return was WIDE open, every category was open. I don't know how it filled up in two days, but what do I know?

I have never had a cabin on the Lido deck.

Chuck

Are you sure you've never had a Lido cabin!!!!!!

Unfortuantely, it don't matter what deck you are on, you can either get the gasers, or cigar smokers or the loud talkers beside you. I guess we have been pretty lucky and are both sound sleepers so not much bothers us. We have had an obstructed view with a tender hanging in our window and much of the day there was a little guy in the tender working. Lots of noise there. We don't spend much time in our room so it usually isn't a big deal where we end up. If you have a bad room, you can spend more time out meeting interesting new friends!

Archived