Bridge and Kitchen Tours

We are sailing on Independence of the Seas in March 10. First time on RCCI, 3rd cruise. I've been enjoying other cruiser's trip reports and blogs. On some, I see pictures of bridge tours, and even a couple of kitchen tours. Are these available to all passengers? How do you arrange them?

We are sailing on Independence of the Seas in March 10. First time on RCCI, 3rd cruise. I've been enjoying other cruiser's trip reports and blogs. On some, I see pictures of bridge tours, and even a couple of kitchen tours. Are these available to all passengers? How do you arrange them?

Being Diamond Plus helps, but you maybe able to get a Galley tour by chatting up your head waiter. They apparently have some latitude in this regard.

-- Mike

On my cruise on the Navigator, I asked Capt. Bang at the meet & mingle for a tour of the bridge, he said to take a note with room # & request a tour to the pursers' desk. I rec'd a call on the last day of the cruise from him to meet for a tour with along with another person. Seems like it does not have much to do with how many cruises you have taken, but more with the captain & your interest.

On a Liberty of the Seas cruise (Diamond and staying in GS) we got a Bridge Tour.

On NCL Gem -first cruise stayed in courtyard villa got a bridge tour.

As Diamond Plus you are given a choice of what behind the scene tour you want.

Every captain is different, as is every ship. Galley tours are much easier than bridge tours.

It's been a few of years since we have had our last "guided" bridge tour.

I have no idea why there seems to be more secrecy now about a bridge. I know that people have to be wand-ed down......(and that was my last time on a bridge tour) before entering the bridge.

Once there.......everyone has different feelings......from wanting to run the ship....or pretending to ........to those that have a real interest of all that goes on. I'll tell you that it's not just steering the ship!

If one has a true fascination for visiting the bridge, writing a note to the captain and leaving it at the guest relations office....may get you an invite......before you become D+.

Rick

We were in a OS last month on IOS and the concierge arranged several organized bridge tours for suite guests that wanted one....lots of fun...the captain met us for photo opps...plenty security to get in, just like airport security.

You can always sail in a suite the behind the scene tours is part of the suite perks these days.

As Rick said above a nice note to the captain is a good start in asking for a bridge tour. Last time I was invited at the last minute and asked my mom who was with me if she wanted to go, yes, so we went on the bridge tour...it is neat but after a few tours up there and having spent tons of time on a bridge years ago...

Write a note and hope for the best.

Thank you for the replies everyone. We are sailing in a GS so it would be wonderful if this is one of the perks. I"d particularly enjoy a tour of the galley. I guess there would be security issues about bridge tours. I do like the idea of writing a note for the captain--we'll give it a try!

We got an invitation for a bridge tour on the Vision of the Seas last Christmas. We were Platinum at the time so don't know how that came about. Didn't ask anyone either, the invitation was left in our cabin (which wasn't a suite).

It was nice all the same but really rough the day we were up there. To say I was green was an understatement.

We'd love to take a bridge tour. I feel a bit awkward leaving a note at the purser's desk, but if it would help maybe we'll try it on our upcoming Alaskan cruise. Thanks for the advice.

I'm Italian (... sorry for my English) and during the last cruise, the first with RCI, I've had a 20 minutes Bridge tour.

No suite, no Diamond member.

Only because we were only 12 Italian passengers on the ship, and the International Ambassador and the Captain decided to make us a "gift", since we were disadvantaged because the language on the ship.

We felt us very "special" !

I'm very honored for this great opportunity.

Thank you Royal Caribbean !!

Valerio

from Italy

GS and above were offered galley tours and backstage tours on Explorer last month. The galley tour was really interesting, unfortunately the backstage tour had to be cancelled as the seas were so rough that day

I've never been, but my DD has been on a number of "behind the scenes" tours with Adventure Ocean and/or the teen club.

Also, perhaps not a recommended "method" -- when she was 8YO she got a private tour of the galley with the head chef and head waiter after another pax publicly insulted her during MDR dinner seating (Head waiter witnessed the behavior and came by to apologize and console her -- he went into the kitchen and came out with ice cream and an invite from the chef for a personal tour the next day. DH accompanyied her. She was thrilled.

Also, perhaps not a recommended "method" -- when she was 8YO she got a private tour of the galley with the head chef and head waiter after another pax publicly insulted her during MDR dinner seating (Head waiter witnessed the behavior and came by to apologize and console her -- he went into the kitchen and came out with ice cream and an invite from the chef for a personal tour the next day. DH accompanyied her. She was thrilled.

Great story!

Archived