RomeInLimo questions

jalynn

I am beginning my research for our Mediterranean Cruise on Splendour of the Seas next July. This cruise leaves from Venice.

We are thinking of flying into Rome. Still looking for a hotel - should we pay a little extra and stay near the sites or book a hotel a little out of the way? I am sold on using RomanLimo. If we use RomanLimo, do we need to stay 2 days in Rome (arrival day and then the next full day of touring) and then we leave by train on our next portion of our trip - Florence. We will use RomanLimo again - need hotel. Again do we need 2 days in Florence to see all the sites?

Then we will take train to Venice. Tour full day and then leave on cruise the following day.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated!

The answer to your question is driven entirely by the amount of vacation you have and the budget you have set. Obviously, I would recommend a week for both Roma and Firenze but few people have the time or money. I do think that you can cover a fair amount of the major sights in a couple days with a couple days in each city.

For your first stop (in this case Roma), alot also depends on when your flight arrives and how well you deal with jet lag. With our late evening "red eye" flight to Roma, for example, we arrived into Roma late so "two nights" was really just one full day of sightseeing as the second day was the day the cruise departed. Even if have a more typical morning arrival into Roma, are you prepared to hit the ground touring, or will you need a few hours at the hotel to relax? IOW, do you count the first day or not?

As to hotels, again this is a budget question. I personally wouldn't THINK of staying at anywhere but the best hotel in the most central locations. But I have the money and I know many people don't. The Albergo del Senato in Roma, just as an example, is well regarded, beautiful rooms and public areas, centrally located, provides excellent service including "free breakfast", has suites available, and most importantly, is a 1-20 minute stroll (or <5 Euro taxi ride) from 80% of the major sights in Roma. However at 260 to 400 Euros per night during peak season, I don't know if this fits your idea of "pay a little extra" affordable.

Regardless, I would say your initial plan for two full day of touring in both Roma and Firenze, and one for Venetia, is a reasonable compromise if all you have is five days pre-cruise. If you can add another day, I'd add it to Roma. Ciao!

Edited by Terpnut

We just returned from the 12 night cruise on Legend of the Seas, which leaves from Civitavecchia. We stayed in Rome for 3 nights prior to the cruise, which gave us, effectively 2.5 days to see Rome (since our Romeinlimo transfer got us there around 11 am and we had little time the morning of the cruise before the Romeinlimo transfer to the ship.

We stayed at the Hotel Golden Roma, which I found on Trip Advisor and one of the other threads on Cruise Critic. It's a small B & B occupying the first floor (really the first floor up in Italy, as what we think of as the first floor here is the ground floor in Europe). There are 15 rooms, of varying size, but all containing the full amenities we Americans come to expect. We booked early and found a web price of 100 euro per night. It is family run, and the principal contact is Giuseppe, who was wonderful to deal with through emails and extraordinarily accommodating, booking us on a great 3-hour tour of the Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel, and St. Peter's, as well as making dinner reservations. The breakfast room is small and our group pretty much filled up the chairs, but the breakfast is quite ample and good -- plenty of choices. We would highly recommend this hotel and readily stay there again. It is located one block east of the Via Veneto and one block from the Galleria Borghese. We took taxis to the Vatican and Ancient Rome that generally cost less than 10 euro and took 5 minutes, even in the height of Rome summer traffic.

As mentioned in the message above, Rome and Florence deserve a week, but we really economized on our time and in the 2.5 days spent a half-day at the Vatican, a second half-day in Ancient Rome, and still had time for the Castel Sant Angelo, the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, Piazza Navona, and several other key sites in the Centro Storico. We did a lot of walking, which balanced off all that pasta and pizza and great vino!

David

LOVED our tour of Rome with Romeinlimo!! Ask for Mauro and you won't regret it. He made us feel like VIP's - he took such good care of us. He knew secret little sections of Rome we would never had known about. We had a fantastic lunch in a charming family run tratoria recommended by Mauro. We saw everything!! I can't believe we did it all - we didn't miss a thing. My husband and I have been to Rome two times before and we saw more in 8 hours with Mauro then we did the two previous trips. We had our two teenage boys with us (15 and 13) and Mauro surprised them with special little side stops just for them. Our final stop before boarding the ship - gelato! It was SO GOOD! Thanks to Jany for all the wonderful communication before hand and to Mauro who made us feel like family. I would recommend RomeinLimo to anyone!!!! They are professional, on time, knowledgeable and worth every penny!!:)

LOVED our tour of Rome with Romeinlimo!! Ask for Mauro and you won't regret it. He made us feel like VIP's - he took such good care of us. He knew secret little sections of Rome we would never had known about. We had a fantastic lunch in a charming family run tratoria recommended by Mauro. We saw everything!! I can't believe we did it all - we didn't miss a thing. My husband and I have been to Rome two times before and we saw more in 8 hours with Mauro then we did the two previous trips. We had our two teenage boys with us (15 and 13) and Mauro surprised them with special little side stops just for them. Our final stop before boarding the ship - gelato! It was SO GOOD! Thanks to Jany for all the wonderful communication before hand and to Mauro who made us feel like family. I would recommend RomeinLimo to anyone!!!! They are professional, on time, knowledgeable and worth every penny!!:)

I, too, was very pleased with RiL, we had a lovely guide in Rome, Caterina. I'm very interested in the 'little side stops' what were these? -- our 10 year old liked the Mouth of Truth, I wonder if you have any other tips for a ' kid friendly' experience?

I, too, was very pleased with RiL, we had a lovely guide in Rome, Caterina. I'm very interested in the 'little side stops' what were these? -- our 10 year old liked the Mouth of Truth, I wonder if you have any other tips for a ' kid friendly' experience?
Our kids are 10 and 8 years old, and the following were some of their favorite things to do in Roma:

1. Capuchin Crypts of Santa Maria Concezione

2. Gelati at Della Palma (two blocks north of Pantheon)

3. Climbing the cupola of St. Peter's Basilica

4. Riding bikes (regular or electric-assist) in Villa Borghese

5. Colisseum/Forum--as long as you don't stay too long. :)

6. Sant'Ignaz!o di Loyola

7. Time Elevator

8. Getting caricatures done in Piazza Navona

Edited by Terpnut

We booked tours with Rome in a Limo for Naples Rome & Florence. It was the best decison of the holiday. All 3 guides were excellent Rafael in Naples Marcao in Rome & Laura in Florence. There knowlege was first rate - nothing was too much trouble and we felt we had excelent value for money. Marcao in particular hardly stopped talking from 8am to 5pm although we did escape into the Vatican for 2 hours. Laura managed to get us tickets for the Pisa climb without having to wait an hour for the next slot and all 8 of us were highly delighted with the trips we made.

We booked tours in Naples and Florence. In Naples our driver was Giovanni. He was wonderful. At one point he stopped at a beautiful spot overlooking Sorrento Bay and gave us melon and water as a refreshment. He also initiated a sing-along to Dean Martin and topped the day off with a gift of a bottle of Limoncello. We had arranged for a private guide for Pompeii and Luccia was our guide. She was fantastic. Her enthusiasm was contagious and her knowledge extensive. In Florence our driver was Gian. He was extremely knowledgeable and took us to a few sites that I'm sure the bus tours didn't visit such as the "other" leaning tower of Pisa. Both Giovanni and Gian recommended restaurants for lunch that were fabulous. In Sorrento I had the best pizza I have ever eaten in my life and I've eaten a LOT of pizza! All-in-all, my wife, 17 year-old daughter, 14 year-old son and I will never forget our time in Naples and Florence.

Our kids are 10 and 8 years old, and the following were some of their favorite things to do in Roma:

1. Capuchin Crypts of Santa Maria Concezione

2. Gelati at Della Palma (two blocks north of Pantheon)

3. Climbing the cupola of St. Peter's Basilica

4. Riding bikes (regular or electric-assist) in Villa Borghese

5. Colisseum/Forum--as long as you don't stay too long. :)

6. Sant'Ignaz!o di Loyola

7. Time Elevator

8. Getting caricatures done in Piazza Navona

Thanks Terpunt

My wife and I recently experienced the vacation of a lifetime! We traveled through Europe by way of a Royal Caribbean cruise through Spain, France, and Italy. Using the Rome in Limo company was one of the best decisions we've ever made. It truly made our vacation seem like a fairy tail. Our drivers Carmine (Napoli), Laura (Pisa/Firenze), and Francesco (Roma) were incredibly hospitable and made us feel welcome from the moment we stepped off of the ship. We both felt as though we were their personal guests. All of our drivers were extremely proud to be from their respective areas, and they each did everything they could to make our experience unforgettable. Not only were we showered with gifts, our drivers also took us to the most amazing sights, many of which were quaint local areas that most tourists do not get a chance to visit, and incredible restaurants with delectable cuisine. The meals we enjoyed while in Italy were truly authentic and impossible to forget. Francesco - If you ever get a chance to read this we would love to know the name of the restaurant you took us to in Roma! We would recommend it a thousand times over to anyone visiting the area. It was truly a taste of Italy that we wouldn't have gotten anywhere else! While in Vatican City, Rome in Limo set us up with a private guide, Mario, who walked us through the museum and Saint Peter’s Basilica and described in great detail the history behind the world famous structures we were so blessed to see. He was unbelievably knowledgeable and well versed in all that Vatican City has to offer, and he provided us with a genuinely moving experience. Overall, our drivers made our time in Italy the most amazing time of our lives and we are truly grateful for that. Thanks to Rome in Limo, we will forever remember every moment of our magical visit to Italy!

Edited by axl3133

We just got back from a Regent cruise that stopped in Rome. While Regent now includes tours we decided that for our full day in Rome we would book a private tour. It was the best decision. Rome in Limo was great. We we're greeted at the ship and had VIP access and touring the entire day. We didn't have to wait in any lines. We had a wonderful stop for lunch where my 12 year old who is a pizza expert experienced the best pizza of our entire European vacation. I look forward to using their services again on our next vacation.

Without being repetitive, Romeinlimo is GREAT! We just returned from our Celebrity cruise and used them in Florence and Rome. In Florence we had a driver/guide (Gian) and in Rome we had a driver/guide and a licensed guide (Julia) for the entire day. Everyone was fantastic, and I truly believe that they made our days memorable. We could not have seen as much as we did, without them. In 9 hours, we saw everything.

The day before our Florence trip, Celebrity advised us that the ship would not be able to dock in Livorno. They would have to go 45min further, and tender there. Since it was 8:00pm, the night before the tour, I panicked. Celebrity asked all those people with private tours to come down to Guest Relations, and they would assist them. My husband went down, and gave them Jany's name from Romeinlimo and the phone number. Celebrity staff proceeded to place a call to Romeinlimo, but told my husband that the best they could do was leave a message, hoping that they would get it when they arrived to work the next day. To my husband's delight, Jany actually answered the phone, and told Celebrity that they were well aware of the change, since they monitor the ships arrival time. She then said that all of her drivers and guides had already been notified and that they will be arriving to the new destination at the time they had arranged with everyone. When we arrived the next morning, and got off the ship, there was Romeinlimo waiting for us.

Just to let you all know we just returned from a cruise and used Rome In Limo. I highly recommend them. They picked us up at the airport and took us on a private tour of the Vatican. Then we used them again post-cruise. We were picked up at the dock and taken on an amazing tour of Rome. There is no way we could have seen as much as we did from a tour bus. Both guides were extremely knowledgeable and very interesting. It is a little pricey, but well worth it. I believe they do more than just tours of Rome, and they do give a price break if you book more than one. Their website is http://www.romeinlimo.com. Have fun!

LOVED romeinlimo. Used this service for three ports in Italy. We tipped 10% to all drivers and the private guides romeinlimo booked for us at Pompeii and the Vatican. The service was excellent and I would book with them again in a heartbeat.

We just got back from our Celebrity Equinox cruise from which we disembarked in Civitavecchia. We didn't want to go to the hotel in Rome right away so I contacted RomeinLimo to see what touring options we had. We spent the most wonderful day in Orvieto with Mauro. He was so knowledgeable, professional and informative. He took us to some amazing sights and then recommended a fabulous restaurant in Orvieto for lunch. Afterwards, on our way to our hotel in Rome, he showed us some of the major highlights of that great city. I would enthusiastically recommend RomeinLimo and in particular Mauro to anyone who is traveling to Italy.

We've booked Romeinlimo for our day in Rome and I was wondering if we need to make any special arrangements for tickets @ the Vatican, Colosseum, etc or will RIL handle any of that if requested? Do we need to hire a tour guide in order to have the ticketing part taken care of? Any suggestions?

Also, we are booking with them in Florence/Pisa and was wondering if they offered any discounts for booking more than one tour? I thought I had read that on an earlier thread. Thanks in advance.

We've booked Romeinlimo for our day in Rome and I was wondering if we need to make any special arrangements for tickets @ the Vatican, Colosseum, etc or will RIL handle any of that if requested? Do we need to hire a tour guide in order to have the ticketing part taken care of? Any suggestions?

Also, we are booking with them in Florence/Pisa and was wondering if they offered any discounts for booking more than one tour? I thought I had read that on an earlier thread. Thanks in advance.

RIL happily will book all for you; apparently Jany never sleeps.

My understanding is that you get a discount if you book three (or more) tours.

We are using Romeinlimo for November and our group received a discount for booking 2 tours (Rome & Florence/Pisa). Also, Jany told us Romeinlimo charges EUR 25 for reserving advance tickets to the Vatican, even though we are using their guide there. So we decided to book the tickets online ourselves for EUR 18:

http://biglietteriamusei.vatican.va/musei/tickets/index.html

Has anyone done this tour out of Naples with Rome In Limo going to Positano/Ravello/Almalfi. I know Rome in Limo comes very highly recommended and we have them booked for transfers in Rome and to the cruise port, but 6 of us are considering this tour in Naples.

What do you see??? Is there a special restaurant they take you to for lunch?? Do you have free time to explore the towns???

We have been to Pompeii & Sorrento so want to do something different.

Thanks for your help

Cheryl

Has anyone done this tour out of Naples with Rome In Limo going to Positano/Ravello/Almalfi. I know Rome in Limo comes very highly recommended and we have them booked for transfers in Rome and to the cruise port, but 6 of us are considering this tour in Naples.

What do you see??? Is there a special restaurant they take you to for lunch?? Do you have free time to explore the towns???

We have been to Pompeii & Sorrento so want to do something different.

Thanks for your help

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl!

We did this tour. It was probably my favorite tour of all our RIL tours. We did start in Pompeii, so eliminating this will give you even more time in the areas you want to visit.

The driver will take you anywhere you would like to visit and stay as long as you woudl like. We drove to Positano, stayed for a bit. Some of us went shopping others went to see the beach.

We also went to Sorrento. It was amazing!! We had two drivers, there were 16 of us, so 8 in each van. Both drivers were so accomodating and were from the area, so they knew it well. We went to teh most amazing spot for lunch. I will tag on some photos. We also did some shopping in Sorrento. It's a great spot to pick up ceramic items and lemoncello.

The drive along the amalfi coast was just stunning!! They will stop for photo ops ifg you wuld like. There are also little markets along the way, great to stop at as well. You may even have time to visit the Emerald Grotto, I hear it's amazing, but our day was already full! Let em know if you have any other questions. BTW, I live just south of you!

NaplessorrentoPositanotheAmaliCo-4.jpg

NaplessorrentoPositanotheAmaliCo-1.jpg

Our delicious food!

NaplessorrentoPositanotheAmaliCo-5.jpg

NaplessorrentoPositanotheAmaliCo-6.jpg

My father and our great driver

NaplessorrentoPositanotheAmaliCo-3.jpg

The other van

NaplessorrentoPositanotheAmaliCo-2.jpg

Edited by SunFunCruiser
hit send too soon