What cool stuff or travel gadgets do you take on a cruise?

sam1148

I heard about this on a previous thread, its a must for women. the Schick intuition shave, it has the shaving cream in it. Just bought one and looved it. Will make shaving in the showers easier.

Also, I like to take a few extra hangers, there aren't enough of them in the cabin for all I like to hang up.

Won't go anywhere without my Kindle. On cruises we also bring insulated glasses (Tervis Tumblers w/lids - good for hot & cold), a power strip & a nightlight/clock/flashlight. After much trial & error & bringing things we never used, we have pared it down to these. There's only two of us so we don't need the over-the-door-shoe-thingy and we use the laundry bag in the closet for a - you guessed it - laundry bag we use all week & pack up for home. We always bring a first aid kit with over-counter meds & supplies.

O2Cool foldable portable fan. Hubby cant sleep without a fan. $20 at walgreens

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/511TCVCXWhL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I love that fan! I haven't been able to find a fan that's small enough to fit in my suitcase (I used to have a small one but it died.)

I'm going to Walgreen's tomorrow! Thanks for the tip. :)

• 4 years later...

image.jpg

I keep cruise documents, credit cards, money, passport, birth certificate, etc. - keeps everything together and easy to pull out at check-in. Also fits flat easily the safe and hard to miss when clearing out the safe at the end of the cruise. I also put my cell phone in it.

I take the attachment to my camera that allows me to upload pics from a memory chip to my tablet...I have 3 jazz cruising buddies that have the same Nikon model, so we have breakfast every other morning on the lido deck and exchange chips to upload pics of the concerts that we missed

OK, I've never cruised Carnival but might be in the near future, I just noticed this post that mentions "IF you have a fridge in your cabin".

Doesn't every cabin on Carnival have a fridge and if every cabin does, what's this about unlocking it? It stays locked? Why?

Sorry, I'm new to Carnival but love Half Moon Cay and hear the beds and food are much better on Carnival, not to mention better prices, so I'm just snooping the posts right now trying to decide.

Thanks for any input in advance.

In April we sailed on the Elation in an Oceanview Cabin and we didn't have a mini-fridge.

I have a set of travel organizers by Lori Grenier that I always use to pack and then just pull the organizers out of my luggage and hang in the bathroom. They have clear see-through pockets with zippers so you can see everything. They fold over and secure with Velcro for packing and have a little hook that pulls out for hanging on a towel bar, back of door, etc.

The one I have is a set of 3, and each is a different size with different-sized pockets. I use one for my hair accessories/styling products/shampoo, one for my meds/remedies, and one for other general toiletries. They're great for TSA, too, because they can see everything at a glance if/when they go through your bag. I also have one that is for jewelry while traveling that has a tarnish-resistant lining and keeps all of my jewelry organized. I got mine from QVC a few years ago.

Over the years, I've filled mine with what I know I'm going to need for a cruise (or any trip) and just leave that stuff in there (checking dates on the Bonine, etc.) and replenishing when necessary. It sure helps to cut down packing time for me, safely packs everything that would be spillable, and cuts down on clutter in the bathroom once at our destination.

Okay, I just dug out my bag of the little towels and I was off on the size. They are actually the diameter of a nickel, and the thickness of 6 stacked nickels. The name is EZ Towel. I bought them through a fund raiser at work a couple of months ago, but according to the web site they are also available at various retail stores. Here is the link: http://www.eztowel.com/

I hope it's okay to post links here. If not, I guess it will be pulled. So, I will have to send emails out if that happens.

As for the shoes, there are two brands. The original is One Sole, and they have about 100+ different tops to order. There are 3 heel sizes. The soles are $125, but like I said, once you buy a sole it lasts a long time, and then you just buy different tops, which cost anywhere from $14 to $30. Perfect for cruises!!! http://www.onesole.com/

There is another brand, called Lexees, where the soles are half the price! at only $65. But, they only have about 20 tops to choose from. http://www.snaponsandals.com/index.htm

Happy shopping!

An airline who's name I will not mention used to use these for the on board hot towel service. They stopped using them, partly because there was an issue with passengers occasionally eating them...since they do look a bit like breath mints before you apply water to them! :eek: rumour has it there are still some around the office and occasionally they come out when a good prank among staff is needed!

where can you get the Belkin mini power strip?? I would like to get one for my next cruise.

21512.BZ103050fcTVL_3.jpg

I have one twice that size I travel with. Probably overkill but sometimes devices won't charge from the USB ports so I have room to plug in all those odd shaped adapters. It still only plugs into one outlet and provides 6 outlets, 3 down each side. Has 4 USB ports and a idevice dock.

It has a plastic post that plugs into the second ground hole on a standard house outlet for stability or you can cut that off to fit in the one outlet on the cruise ship. I left it on and just carry a nice 3 ft extension core that allows me to position the charging station anywhere on the desk I want.

It does good at keeping everything charged and carries enough power to run DW's hair dryer.

Edited by Miller_KC

I take the attachment to my camera that allows me to upload pics from a memory chip to my tablet...I have 3 jazz cruising buddies that have the same Nikon model, so we have breakfast every other morning on the lido deck and exchange chips to upload pics of the concerts that we missed

Do you have a picture of this or a name for the attachment? I also have a Nikon.

Onesoles? I bought some for our cruise last year and they were awesome. Had tops to match each outfit I wore to the dining room, even had a black strappy top with a rhinestone heart for formal night.

I have 2 pair of bottoms one black and one pink.

Can you tell me if the sizes are true to what you normally wore? If I wear a 7 in most shoes is that what I should get or do they run small ?

Thank so much!!

I really wanted a kindle. But the Digital Rights Management bothers me. If you OWN a book you can keep it forever..lend it out..donate it..etc.

With DRM the book has to verified periodically Via Amazon's servers to authorize playing on the device your using.

I just wonder how long an investment in dozens of book would last before Amazon decides not to support their servers and your library is worthless.

Or the inevitable technology change and corporate decides not to pay for up keep of authorizing servers. Do you still use VHS tapes? At lest those didn't have to 'phone home' to have them play.

It's happened before..I think wal-mart did digital music with DRM a few years back and then decided to shut down their DRM services...results was all the music purchased through them was useless unless the user burned them to CD. (citation).

I download books from my local library. You get between 1-2 weeks, can have up to 5 and they are FREE. Just need a library card and a computer.

I always bring my Kindle Paperwhite, Belkin outlet, hanging door organizer, and flameless candles to put in bathroom for night. It gives us enough light but doesn't wake us up :).

Edited by rlkubi

Do you have a picture of this or a name for the attachment? I also have a Nikon.

I've got my trusty Nikon D40 and an iPad Mini. What I use is Apple's Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader. Lightning is the new input plug for iPad Mini. It has a Lightning connector on one end, then about 2 inches of cable, and an SD card reader on the other end. Plug in the SD card, plug in the adapter and it automatically brings up the Photos app and you can look at your photos and decide if you want to upload any of them to the Mini. There is a similar adapter (it doesn't have the bit of cable, though) for regular size iPads.

there is also adapters for both types of Ipads that let you plug your camera or iPhone directly into your tablet via the USB cord for your phone/camera. Works the same as the SD reader (pulls up Photos app)...If you go to the Apple website, you can see them.

I liked it for what I used it for on my trip this May. I use one SD card per day (yes, I have LOTS of SD cards), looked at what I had shot, and then that SD card became the "backup" - it wasn't used again until I got home and could port things to my big computer for storage. Kinda fun to be able to preview them on my Mini though - and lighter than lugging my MacBook!!!

Portable fan, pillows, extension cord, ziplocks, rubber bands, flashlight, Garmin, battery clock, cooler, scissors, binoculars, insulated coffee cup, insulated cup for soda, visor hat, poncho, medical stuff, bunge cords, snorkeling equipment, extra carry off bags(new purchases), bug spray, empty water bottles, clothes pins, command hooks, and just ordered a occupancy motion sensor led light that runs on batteries from Maxxima Style ( $9.99 plus shipping ) and an open mind.:)

Portable fan, pillows, extension cord, ziplocks, rubber bands, flashlight, Garmin, battery clock, cooler, scissors, binoculars, insulated coffee cup, insulated cup for soda, visor hat, poncho, medical stuff, bunge cords, snorkeling equipment, extra carry off bags(new purchases), bug spray, empty water bottles, clothes pins, command hooks, and just ordered a occupancy motion sensor led light that runs on batteries from Maxxima Style ( $9.99 plus shipping ) and an open mind.:)

Do you have any room for clothes? (This is a joke)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

trying to bring this post back to life.... modern technology advances so fast that I'm sure there are some neat new "MUST HAVES" since the last post of 2013.... what new gadgets do you bring that makes your vacation easier or more pleasant?

I have purchased from the dollar tree a peel off, reusable peacock and flowers to put on my door. Also a foldable bin to use in the bathroom for my stuff. couple of clothespins to hang up wet things, also clips for the pool towel on the chair. pink duct tape to differentiate my luggage and hold it together.