Purchasing wine at Harwich

Linbar

Nothing within walking distance. Harwich is basically a large port area. We did see a grocery store, but you'd need to take a taxi there and there's no assurance of that kind of store carrying alcohol

We sailed from Harwich for the first time 2 weeks ago. We had an RCL transfer and as we were nearing the port I remember seeing a large Morrisons, this is a UK supermarket chain that definitely sells alcohol, including a range of wines. According to the website below it is within a 10 minute walk.

://www.harwich.co.uk/ferry_amenities.htm

Julie

Thank you. Since we cannot carry on the plane a two week supply of mouthwash etc. this would be a perfect place to shop. After 7 hours on a plane plus the transfer it will be good to be able to stretch our legs.

Morrison's is definitely at the port, more like a 20-25 minute walk (we did it 2 weeks ago) and you will find everything you need. They force you to walk the long way around the train station and then back across, but if you are able to walk that distance (and haul the wine back) it is pretty convenient.

Why would anyone want to buy wine in the UK.

The prices are far to expensive, if possible buy in southern Europe the prices are about 50% cheaper than in the UK.

a) very wide selection: not being a wine producer (well, only a very small one) you can buy wines of all types from literaly all over the world;

b) strictly speaking, Celebrity will prevent passengers from taking wine aboard except at the port of embarkation; i.e. Harwich in this case.

Why would anyone want to buy wine in the UK.

The prices are far to expensive, if possible buy in southern Europe the prices are about 50% cheaper than in the UK.

Usually cruises leaving from Harwich are going to the Baltics/Northern Europe, where alcohol prices are high.

Julie

a) very wide selection: not being a wine producer (well, only a very small one) you can buy wines of all types from literaly all over the world;

b) strictly speaking, Celebrity will prevent passengers from taking wine aboard except at the port of embarkation; i.e. Harwich in this case.

We disembarked Constellation 3 weeks ago in Harwich and I can confirm that they would only allow wine on at the beginning of the cruise - nothing at all in any of the ports. So if you want to take some onboard, buy it at Morrisons before you sail - I wouldn't risk trying to get it onboard in the ports - they will most likely take it from you and return it on the last night of the cruise - as they did with us.

Sue

Archived