The Fillipino Community in the Cruise industry

Fredr

Hello,

This is for persons new to cruising or who are thinking of going on a cruise.

Men and women from the Phillipine Islands work on cruise ships in large numbers, in positions from high management to entry levels.

After 30 cruises and having worked with many in Southern California prior to my retirement, it is my opinion that without exception they are some of the brightest, nicest, hard working people in the entire world.

Why the post? On our 5 cruises ( taken from January 2008 to May of 2009) I witnessed behavior toward the cruise staff that was totally unacceptable..."little brown people not being fast enough or do not understand English"! I was really offended by the behavior and comments of these passengers toward the cruise staff.

In the Phillipines, all students must take years of English. As a result, they have a superior knowledge of the English language...reading and writing. As they do have a national language, Tagalog, many speak English with an accent. My point here is that because someone speaks English with an accent does not mean that they do not understand you perfectly when spoken to.

For those of you a little older, do you remember Lawrence Welk?

Treat everyone you meet on a cruise with dignity and respect including all crew staff and as well as passengers.

Fred

Thanks for posting.

It is a nice reminder for people to remember the old saying, "treat others the way you would want them to treat you."

Our experience is that most passengers are good about this, but unfortunately there are a few bad apples from time to time.

Keith

I have been very privileged to have taken quite a number of cruises on a ship where the entire crew, not total staff, were Filipinos. Many of the people who have jobs as waiters, asst. waiters and cabin stewards are well educated in their homeland. There are lawyers and engineers among them that I have met.

It is the economic state in the Philippines that cause them to accept a job on the ship. Perhaps that is more understandable now that a similar situation exists here.

I am taking a cruise in the new year which goes to Manila as I want to see the country that produces so many kind and warm people.

Fran

Fredr - I totally agree with you. We were on our first cruise on the Dawn in March and alot of crew were Philipinos - so nice and polite. I volunteer in a long term care facility and many of the caregivers are from the Philipines. They do a great job and are very gentle with the patients.

Hello,

This is for persons new to cruising or who are thinking of going on a cruise.

Men and women from the Phillipine Islands work on cruise ships in large numbers, in positions from high management to entry levels.

After 30 cruises and having worked with many in Southern California prior to my retirement, it is my opinion that without exception they are some of the brightest, nicest, hard working people in the entire world.

Why the post? On our 5 cruises ( taken from January 2008 to May of 2009) I witnessed behavior toward the cruise staff that was totally unacceptable..."little brown people not being fast enough or do not understand English"! I was really offended by the behavior and comments of these passengers toward the cruise staff.

In the Phillipines, all students must take years of English. As a result, they have a superior knowledge of the English language...reading and writing. As they do have a national language, Tagalog, many speak English with an accent. My point here is that because someone speaks English with an accent does not mean that they do not understand you perfectly when spoken to.

For those of you a little older, do you remember Lawrence Welk?

Treat everyone you meet on a cruise with dignity and respect including all crew staff and as well as passengers.

Fred

It's called racism and bigotry.....simple as that.

When I started cruising back in the mid-70's, most of the crew were from the Caribbean islands....and the bigots and racists used the same language and had the same attitude.

Fear and ignorance is rampant in our society....and it comes to bear inappropriately everywhere.

My theory is to confront it when you see it......

This is one of the best posts I've seen. Regardless of culture, people deserve to be treated with kindness. Cruise ship employees do not benefit from our wage/hour laws. They work long hours. Many do take these jobs because they cannot make a living for their families at home. They deserve our respect, not to mention our gratitude for the treatment they provide during our vacation.

Archived