How seriously do you take the cruise reviews

Kroosin

I'm just curious. I love reading reviews about my upcoming cruises, but lately it seems like the negative reviews are REALLY negative and the positive ones are gushers. Often they're talking about the same ship on the same dates!. I still enjoy reading them (and since I've never submitted one of my own I have no room to complain) but I tend to just think "here's a person who had a terrible time" or "this person had the time of their life" as I read the reviews. So how much stock do you set in the reviews?

Most people that post reveiws are the type of people that like to go to the extreme. And, it can go either way, positive, or negative. I take the reviews with a grain of salt. I have sailed on a number of cruiselines, and many different types of ships, with lots of different type of crew. Never had a bad cruise yet, some are more enjoyable than others.

I used to write a report when we got back from a cruise -- but even if you have only 1 negative about the cruise/ship and 99 positive items -- people here tend to flame you for that 1 negative item -- so now I don;t bother.

And take everyone else's reports with a grain a salt.

I take them with a HUGE grain of salt. One person can come off a cruise and it was the worst thing ever. They are never sailing the line again, the company should be ashamed of itself for putting out such a crappy product. :rolleyes: Then another person comes along that was on the SAME cruise and it was the best time they ever had, it could not have been more perfect, the company should be commended on such a wonderful product and it is the only cruise line for them. 2 people, 2 completely different opinions on the exact product. Yup, a grain of salt or 2 is needed. ;)

I tend to view them with a bit of reserve -- I am always looking for factual information (library location, embark procedures, show times) that is not dependent on point of view; then I look at opinions of things, and take credence more in a view, positive or negative, that is backed up with a why or circumstances.

For example, "the food sucked" is not helpful and I generally disregard those, but reviews that say something like "the food was generally good, but I found the vegetables to be a bit overcooked and mushy" is informative: if you hate mushy veggies, that's a point to consider; as it is, I suppose, if you like your veggies cooked a long time :D.

Generally, I do the old statistics thing and toss out the extreme highs and lows, and figure what's left comes close.

Then I decide for myself, and wing it!:D

Dave

Reading most of the reviews it's easy to identify issues that would/wouldn't impact on your enjoyment of the cruise. It's probably easier to do this on trip advisor than here because people tend to stick to the fact on trip advisor (I mean people write reviews give a property 1 out of 5 saying it was difficult to to book a room - I mean you haven't even stayed there). I think that with the reviews on here seem to be biased severely by people who had "issues" with their cruise and feel they need to tell the world what a terrible time they had or people that are part of the ... insert cruise line name here ... cheer squad. Plus, the fact that cruisers seem to be such an emotional bunch.

Those gushingly positive reviews by people who have just completed their first cruise are a waste of time, since they have no reference point upon which to base their review. I'm glad they had a good time, but their opinions have no comparative or predictive value.

In addition, I discount reviews written by persons who are onboard cruise consultants.

I like to read the reviews - I am more inclined to put some credance in them when the complaints seem "honest" and not just someone with an ax to grind because they didn't serve chicken tenders in the dining room for their kids:rolleyes: or the staff didn't bend over backwards treating them like royalty. I also think some of the reviews are ridiculous when the "regulars" can't find anything but great things to say about "their cruiseline" it's almost like they are on the payroll. Tell it like it is and people will form their own opinions. Hence the name Cruise Critic.

I read them and feel that I can learn quite a bit about a ship, and its general attributes, what it offers and what shape it is in. I agree that some things such as food and entertainment are subjective - and some sweeping comments both pro or con I do take with a grain of salt. But when I am researching before taking a cruise on a new or different line or ship I do look to see what is being said both on the boards and in the reviews.

I read them and feel that I can learn quite a bit about a ship, and its general attributes, what it offers and what shape it is in. I agree that some things such as food and entertainment are subjective - and some sweeping comments both pro or con I do take with a grain of salt. But when I am researching before taking a cruise on a new or different line or ship I do look to see what is being said both on the boards and in the reviews.

Precisely;)

I admit to reading them, but I do so with filters - one for the cheerleaders who would lead you to believe they are on the payroll as PR people . I also wear filters (big heavy ones) for those who do nothing but complain about the most trivial items (brand of tea bags, don't carry their favorite brand of beer or booze) Those people need to get a life.

There was a time when, upon return from a cruise, I would write a critique of my trip. But after being flamed by the cheerleaders of that particular line, when I mentioned that my most recent cruise was not up to previous standards, I just gave up. Life is too short to get involved in that.

I have found reading these boards over a few years, you can tell the cheerleaders and the complainers and learn to enjoy those who write an honest appraisal warts and all.:)

I admit to reading them, but I do so with filters - one for the cheerleaders who would lead you to believe they are on the payroll as PR people . I also wear filters (big heavy ones) for those who do nothing but complain about the most trivial items (brand of tea bags, don't carry their favorite brand of beer or booze) Those people need to get a life.

There was a time when, upon return from a cruise, I would write a critique of my trip. But after being flamed by the cheerleaders of that particular line, when I mentioned that my most recent cruise was not up to previous standards, I just gave up. Life is too short to get involved in that.

I have found reading these boards over a few years, you can tell the cheerleaders and the complainers and learn to enjoy those who write an honest appraisal warts and all.:)

I agree with you 110% - everything should be in balance. Listen there are good and bad points to every cruise - just be honest. People turn to Cruise Critic for honest advice - let's face it vacations are expen$ive. If you can prevent someone from blowing money on a substandard cruise, you are doing them a service also how will the cruiselines fix things if they don't know what the problems are??

When I write a review, and I have often done so going back to the days of Compuserve ... I will express both positive and negative comments. Often, I notice that, as someone mentioned earlier in this thread, I get pillared for the negative criticism .. but I really don't care because a) it gets it off my chest; b) those who have an even keel perspective accept it as honest criticism; c) maybe, just maybe the word gets back to those who deserve the criticism; d) maybe squared - the deficient area will improve e) it is not life threatening ..

harry

i think it depends on the itineary. when we went to the med last year, i read everything i could get my hands on. we needed a lot of info since the cruise was so port intensive. i will say i read one review and thought the cruiser went overboard complaining about how hot it was in mid july. she kept saying do not go now you will be miserable. i disregarded her comments as over done. but when we went in late july, early august i found that she was correct. i would never go at that time of year again. of course i would never cancel a cruise because of a review.

i did gain a multitude of good information from the reviews and look forward to reading about each cruise we book.

I don't take them too seriously most of the times. One has to remember that each review is subjective to that particular writer's likes and dislikes and so your take on an experience could be different from someone elses. In addition, we all encounter one-offs in our days and those may never be encountered again.

What I tend to look for in reviews is a development of a trend - either several people saying the same thing or a series of similar issues cropping up over a period of time.

Its fun to read positive reviews as it is nice to hear people had a good vacation but I've known trips I've taken and loved and someone else would not gush as much. I tend to believe bad reviews if there are substantial details written and based less on emotional outburts. I completely avoid one time writers who sign up to post something negative with little backup and then disappear - those posts are good for one thing - a laugh.

No cruise is ever 100% perfect but we all have to remember how a good portion of a review is geared towards someone's likes and dislikes.

David

but even if you have only 1 negative about the cruise/ship and 99 positive items -- people here tend to flame you for that 1 negative item

And that's a shame. Nothing is perfect! Its not just a HAL thing but a problem with message boards universally.

David

Depends who is writing the review (in some cases) how seriously I take it. Obviously if it is someone I personally know, I have a very good perspective of how much I might agree or disagree with their perception of situations.

Also, if it is a dependable poster here who many of recognize to have great credibility, I would pay more attention to their comments than a first time poster who seems to have an axe to grind.

Most of the time, I learn something new as no matter how many times we sail, things can change.

I always appreciate when an earnest person spends their time and effort to provide us with their comments. I may not agree with what they say but I think it's great they went to the trouble. The more they write, the longer the review, the better. I always want to say to someone who apologizes their review is long.... NO, No, No....long is good. :D

I don't read any of the reviews in the special Review forum; I read all the reviewing threads in this forum, however.

On the HAL board I usually already have an impression of the poster, so I know how much faith to put in what they say. Over here, too, there's the opportunity to ask questions, and get a fuller explanation if something needs it.

If someone has just become a member, and it's the first post, and heavy on the negative side, I don't give it any credence at all. It comes across as a hidden agenda. If it's balanced, then I enjoy the reading.

Ruth and I frequently reiew our cruises and try to be honest but we do not dwell on a couple negatives.

Like others have said. The validity we put to a review depends on who has written it. Generally you can tell early on if someone has an ax to grind.

Like we say "It is only our opinion" and want it taken that way.

Ruth & Jim

I noticed a couple of people on this thread have QUIT posting revues due to flaming by others.:( That's a shame, as theirs were the ones I was looking for!!

Due to overzealiseness (sp) by some fans of HAL, I thought about canceling my first cruise with the line; I didn't, had a good cruise and missed all the snobs.:)

Archived