Do you always book the same category of cabin?

rmmm

For us, it depends on two factors: price and type of itinerary.

We set aside $10,000 a year for vacation related expenses and try to cruise or take land vacations 3 times a year. Depending on what type of deals we obtain on airfare and the cruise determines what type of cabin we choose. If we decide to "move up" and cruise with Oceania or Azamara, we choose an inside cabin as it fits much better with our yearly vacation budget.

For itineraries, it depends on how destination intensive the cruise is. If we're at a port almost every day, we opt for an inside cabin, as we find ourselves rarely in the cabin during the day. For less destination intensive intineraries, like a Caribbean cruise, we prefer balcony cabins as a first choice.

But, just being at sea is enough. We'll move up if we can but are very satisfied just to be on a ship again:).

Joe

We would always get high/mid ship/balcony. Decided for this last cruise, (two weeks ago), to treat ourselves and up it to a mini-suite. Well we wound up better than a mini and got ourselves a Penthouse/aft, and within 20 seconds of being in the cabin dh said "we are never going back!" lol IT WAS AWESOME! :D

We would always get high/mid ship/balcony. Decided for this last cruise, (two weeks ago), to treat ourselves and up it to a mini-suite. Well we wound up better than a mini and got ourselves a Penthouse/aft, and within 20 seconds of being in the cabin dh said "we are never going back!" lol IT WAS AWESOME! :D

NICE! :)

What cruise line; which ship?

Remember:

Never put your wife in a cabin unless you plan on getting that level or better the rest of your life.

If you don't do that you will hear about it the entire cruise. Thrust me I KNOW....

Ruth & Jim

We tend to book OV because we prefer the R and S class ships on lonber itineraries and the balconies are almost double the price. We've had balconies and liked them but we'd rather travel more.

There are lots of great places to hang out all over the ship. We spend very little time in our cabin.

Remember:

Never put your wife in a cabin unless you plan on getting that level or better the rest of your life.

If you don't do that you will hear about it the entire cruise. Thrust me I KNOW....

Ruth & Jim

We aren't able to sail often, but had a balcony cabin for our first cruise, and have always had one since... until this year when I booked a deluxe suite to celebrate some milestones in our lives. DH humored me at the time of booking, but "strongly suggested" that in the future I not plan on THAT idea again.

Naturally, we will now be cruising even less often, because DH suddenly insists he wants his Pinnacle breakfast and Neptune Lounge!

Works both ways, Jim! :o

If money were no object, we'd always cruise in the penthouse suite, but here we are in the real world.:o

That said, we like to book a balcony cabin most of the time, especially for a longer cruise.

For a cheap, short cruise, we'll settle for an inside or obstructed view outside.

Our next cruise is a "cheap & dirty" 4 nighter in a really tiny inside cabin, but it still beats staying home.:p

We have been in everything from an inside to a suite. We generally don't care where we are as long as we are on the dam ship.

There will be an itinerary from time to time that we will book a specific cabin for. Generally however, we go with the lowest price guarantee within the category we have decided on.

For us it depends upon the ship and the itinerary. We'd prefer to cruise more often than pay more and cruise less with more luxurious accommodations. We'll be happy with an inexpensive outside cabin although we'd like a veranda in we're sailing in a warm clime.

When we can get a deal we'd much rather have an obstructed ocean view cabin on Crystal than a higher category cabin on HAL. We don't spend that much time in our cabin so the superior service, food, and facilities outside the cabin are more important.

We are of the school that we'd rather spend our "extra" money on excursions, etc. than our accommodations. So far, for all of our trips, balcony or higher cabins were at a considerably higher price. We want oceanview accommodations at minimum, and have done so all but one of our trips (see below).

• 1st cruise (RCCL): oceanview
  • 2nd cruise (RCCL): inside connecting staterooms (travelling with the kiddos and at the time we booked their only connecting cabins left were insides)
  • 3rd cruise (HAL): HH guarantee, upgrade fairy gave us a C stateroom!
  • 4th cruise (HAL): have booked a category E oceanview stateroom as we needed a quad cabin and the suite cost was out of our price range!

I would LOVE a balcony cabin, but on the cruises we've selected so far, it was not in the cards...

We had our first balcony cabin in 2001. My DH said he could never cruise again without at least a balcony. I promptly booked us an inside cabin. He went and had a great time. Since then, we've had balconies twice more, inside cabins three times, and outside cabins three times.

For me, it comes down to price. I don't want to pay an exhorbitant amount more just for a window or just for a balcony. We can have a good time no matter the size of our cabin. Do we enjoy having a balcony? Of course. On our cruise this spring it was great to order breakfast so we could enjoy a quiet morning meal out there. And then drinks before dinner. But we don't want to pay an arm and a leg to get one. About $100 per person to upgrade to an outside and then another $100 per person to upgrade to a balcony. That's our limit.

Remember:

Ruth & Jim

I thought my husband wrote this comment when I first read it. :)

Actually, we have HAL to thank for our SA suite bookings. They upgraded us many years ago and we have never looked back.

Our first cruise we did an inside cabin. Then, we did several more insides. Then we tried the oceanview. Finally, we splurged and got a balcony. After the balcony, we have also had insides and oceanviews. It depends on the itinerary, and the pricing. I like to get the most bang for my buck! I am the kind of person that would prefer going on 2 cruises a year in an inside, rather than once a year in a balcony. :D :eek: :rolleyes: :D

We just need some daylight, so an OV (even obstructed) is fine by us. We do like to try and get as close to midships as possible, but even that's not a dealbreaker. And we'll take anything the upgrade fairy is handing out, but will never pay for a balcony (or better) unless it's a completely unbeatable deal.

For us, it depends on the itinerary, the price, and whether or not we're cruising with family or friends. If alone, we usually get an ocean view, midships. If traveling with others, we get a balcony or minisuite so that we can have room to entertain our friends and family in the cabin. ----Penny

Archived