Everybody talks about chair hogs, but.....

jnadz

You can add us to the list of people who have NEVER been chair hogs. We understand that if we make the choice to leave our position by the pool for lunch or another event or whatever, we risk the chance of losing the seats we had and we would never leave stuff there expecting others to not use our empty chair.

My wife and I go one at a time to get our lunch and bring it back to our chairs. One of us is there most all the time. We might go on the slide, or jump in the pool for a few minutes. We would never just go somewhere and leave our things there so that someone else couldn't use the chairs. There has only been one time that we weren't able to find chair together to sit in, but we did see a whole bunch of chairs with no one in them.

I don't consider a person a chair hog if they leave for 20-30 minutes to get food. Chair hogs come out before the sun and leave a towel on a chair they may never come back to, or they saunter over around 10-11 am.

20-30 minutes gone and they could be in the pool or the slide during that time. Do you expect people to give up their chairs then? I wouldn't.

All I can say is that I am proud that the majority of people are obeying the "law"......;) But, be advised.......my deputies and myself will be keeping a close eye on all of you !!!!.......LMAO

( See signature......:) )

I often get up early, eat breakfast on the balcony with coffee, then hit the pool area to lay out and read a book. I've seen empty chairs by the pool when I've gone down there but never take one. I sit up top. I remember when I had young child and for him to swim I felt more comfortable when I was nearby. So I don't take chairs right next to pool so those with young children can have them. Plus, there's constantly people walking next to you, in front of you, etc. and I want a little less activity. But I do like being in that area up top because I like watching the people, entertainment, and listening to the band. And when I'm done, I take my stuff and leave. I never reserve a chair for all day just in case. I also don't keep one for my son - he never lands enough to really use it. He may put his stuff by me, but not on a chair. Now a teenage girl may be different, they seem to like laying out.

DH and I are not chair hogs. We do not get up early on a cruise. When we do decide to go lay out, we take our chances and usually walk around for a few minutes until we can find 2 chairs together (our last 2 cruises were horrible in trying to find just 2 together). When we do want to go eat, we take our stuff and leave and take our chances finding chairs again if we want to continue laying out.

I always make all my stops before I find a chair and then I will sit for awhile and if I get bored I just pick up all my stuff and go. I have a great towel that turns into tote bag so it is eas to just carry my things with me.

There is a major difference between going to get food and returning to eat it and leaving your stuff on chairs while you go to eat somewhere else. In the former case, you're gone for a shorter period and never occupy more than one chair per person. In the latter, you're gone longer and you occupy two chairs per person; one by the pool, one in the dining area.

Since being polite involves taking into consideration the effects your actions have on others, I don't see how any remotely considerate person could occupy two chairs at a time and prevent their fellow passengers from being able to find one to use.

Not a chair hog. I think we sat in a deck lounger once for about 15 minutes total in five days. Oh, and maybe it's because we weren't looking often, but there always seemed to be plenty of free chairs on the Holiday so I don't think anyone would have really had to have been one unless they just wanted a specific location.

Who can actually say they are not a chair hog?

I want to be repectful to all passengers, but who actually sits in a chair, then picks up all their stuff to go to lunch for 20-30 minutes and then starts the search for a new chair all over?..... anybody?.....

We always do that. To us, leaving to have lunch in another area is not incidental to use of the chair, it is a new activity, hence we take our stuff and let another use the chair.

Performing incidental activities such as a bathroom break, getting a drink, or getting food to bring back to the chair are part of use of the chair. We would also never leave our stuff to perform any of those incidental activities unless one of us remained with the stuff. We consider it poor form to leave it to our fellow guest to figure out why our stuff remains on an empty chair.

We always do that. To us, leaving to have lunch in another area is not incidental to use of the chair, it is a new activity, hence we take our stuff and let another use the chair.

Performing incidental activities such as a bathroom break, getting a drink, or getting food to bring back to the chair are part of use of the chair. We would also never leave our stuff to perform any of those incidental activities unless one of us remained with the stuff. We consider it poor form to leave it to our fellow guest to figure out why our stuff remains on an empty chair.

I agree JD

I have never ever experienced the "chair hog" until this past cruise... We returned home Saturday from the Miracle. We are not the type to lay by the main lido pool all day..

I went out early one morning at around 630am.. the loungers were just being set up.. I got a cup of coffee and decided to just enjoy the early morning....

If I did not witness what I am going to tell you i would not believe it...

A woman proceeded to stake claim to about 15 chairs... and they were scattered about in the same area... some next to her some in front.. some down the row... She put something on each chair or bent the top portion over.. .(is that some new sign the lounger is taken???)

She was chasing people away from the chairs from about 645 am .... I sat there til 11... yes 11!!!!!!!!!! and her friends were just starting to trickle up to the pool... I could not believe it..

The best part was some lady asked her if this side was the smoking side.. She said as she motioned with her arms, these are my chairs.. and there is no smoking in my area.... Guess what .. she was on the smoking side..

If you are grabbing something to eat in your chair, fine. But if you are going inside or sitting somewhere else to eat then coming back. That's totally rude IMO

I mean really is a chair location that vital to your cruise happiness? Would it hurt to share a little? :p

Sorry, I can't agree with this. What's the difference between grabbing lunch and being gone for 20 or 30 minutes or being in the pool for 20 or 30 minutes? Do you give up your chair every time you get in the pool? Probably not. I think a chair hog is someone that starts saving a chair early in the morning and doesn't come back to use it till noon! I've seen that happen alot.

Pat

There has to be some give and take, I don't think going to get food classifies as hogging. Leaving a towel there all day without USING it, now that's a whole other story.

Megan

I agree that it would be okay to leave for a short time if you're using it all day. I wouldn't be annoyed with someone for that. The problem is those people that put something on the chair at 7 in the morning and then don't show up until 2 in the afternoon or leave for hours when someone else could have used it since they weren't really using it anyway but wanted to make sure it was available when they finally felt like using it. That used to really annoy me. I remember one couple who decided they didn't want to sit in the clouds one day because it looked like it might rain so they dragged their chairs from right by the pool to near the bar. Another another couple moved their chairs to fill in the empty space. When the sun came out again the first couple had the nerve to complain to the second couple (who hadn't even seen them move in the first place) that they had taken their space and they wanted to move their chairs back. I had never seen that before but that really takes the cake. Hogging the chairs is bad enough but you can't stake out "territory" like that and claim it as your own.

I've found that it all bothers me a lot less now that I've discovered aft wraps. I'll go up to the pool for a swim but then go sit on my own balcony and I get a lot less aggravated with what I consider to be a lack of consideration for others since I don't get to see so much of it. Most people are basically decent and will work with each other to create a more pleasant experience, but it only takes one or two pains in the butt to make it uncomfortable for a lot of people.

[quote name='richkinkade'][FONT=Courier New][SIZE=3][B]There is a major difference between going to get food and returning to eat it and leaving your stuff on chairs while you go to eat somewhere else. In the former case, you're gone for a shorter period and never occupy more than one chair per person. In the latter, you're gone longer and you occupy two chairs per person; one by the pool, one in the dining area. [/B][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Courier New][SIZE=3][B]Since being polite involves taking into consideration the effects your actions have on others, I don't see how any remotely considerate person could occupy two chairs at a time and prevent their fellow passengers from being able to find one to use.[/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

Agreed. DH, DD, and I used ONE chair by the pool, since we knew that one parent would be in the pool with our child at all times while the other lay in the sun and observed.

These people, on the otherhand, hogged FOUR lounge chairs while they dined at a table nearby, and nearly had a conniption when I DARED invade "their" territory by the pool:
[IMG]http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t262/LadyJag73/133chairhogs.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='trock']I agree JD

I have never ever experienced the "chair hog" until this past cruise... We returned home Saturday from the Miracle. We are not the type to lay by the main lido pool all day..
I went out early one morning at around 630am.. the loungers were just being set up.. I got a cup of coffee and decided to just enjoy the early morning....

A woman proceeded to stake claim to about 15 chairs... and they were scattered about in the same area... some next to her some in front.. some down the row... She put something on each chair or bent the top portion over.. .(is that some new sign the lounger is taken???)

She was chasing people away from the chairs from about 645 am .... I sat there til 11... yes 11!!!!!!!!!! and her friends were just starting to trickle up to the pool... I could not believe it..
The best part was some lady asked her if this side was the smoking side.. She said as she motioned with her arms, these are my chairs.. and there is no smoking in my area.... Guess what .. she was on the smoking side..[/quote]

Can I just say ... I would have had to mess this woman and sit in her chairs because .... oh hell, just because.

[quote name='LemurCat']Can I just say ... I would have had to mess this woman and sit in her chairs because .... oh hell, just because.[/quote]

hey Cat
I agree!!!!! When my husband came down he would not "let me".. He said to let her be a fool by herself-

Besides someome else was pissing her off... lol
I should have taken photos!!

[quote name='LemurCat']Can I just say ... I would have had to mess this woman and sit in her chairs because .... oh hell, just because.[/quote]

I would probably light up a cigarette and I don't even smoke.

Up to 4 at a time for no more than 15 minutes. I am a Sun Lover. DH and myself typically have breakfast by 9:00 am and then at 9:30 we are poolside (top deck) - we grab 2 chairs for ourselves and save 2 for our friends. They are ALWAYS, ALWAYS right behind us by 15 minutes - never more. If I am wanting a chair that has been "reserved" - I just wait 15 minutes and if in 15 minutes, someone has not returned to that chair - I simply move those belongings to the ground and take the chair I wanted. If there is only a towel reserving that chair, guess what? I now have a chair and a nice, new souvenir! Ha. Ha. Ha.

Chick.

[quote name='trock']hey Cat
I agree!!!!! When my husband came down he would not "let me".. He said to let her be a fool by herself-

Besides someome else was pissing her off... lol
I should have taken photos!![/quote]

Heya Toni!

How was the cruise? I got "talked" into going on the NCL Majesty out of Bal'more later this summer. My dad really twisted my rubber arm.

And yeah, you should have taken pictures!:D

[quote name='trock']I agree JD

The best part was some lady asked her if this side was the smoking side.. She said as she motioned with her arms, these are my chairs.. and there is no smoking in my area.... Guess what .. she was on the smoking side..[/quote]

WOW. I try to take a live-and-let live approach on vacation, but it would have been hard to not cause a scene on that one. My wife would kill me though!

Do the Carnival employees do anything on this issue if asked??

I guess I'm just not a very trusting person. I have a hard time leaving my stuff on a chair while DH and I take a dip in the pool if I can't see it!

If we eat lunch in our chairs, we'll get our food one at a time. We'll do the waterslide one at a time. If we're eating inside, we pack up our stuff and leave. No way would I leave my stuff unattended for 30 minutes!

[quote name='aggieastrosfan']I guess I'm just not a very trusting person. I have a hard time leaving my stuff on a chair while DH and I take a dip in the pool if I can't see it!

If we eat lunch in our chairs, we'll get our food one at a time. We'll do the waterslide one at a time. If we're eating inside, we pack up our stuff and leave. No way would I leave my stuff unattended for 30 minutes![/QUOTE]

Ya, beware of Tex Chick, she just might swipe your stuff! LMAO! Sorry, couldn't resist at little laugh at my own expense!

Chick.

[quote name='Cruise, J.D.']WOW. I try to take a live-and-let live approach on vacation, but it would have been hard to not cause a scene on that one. My wife would kill me though!

Do the Carnival employees do anything on this issue if asked??[/quote]

My husband would have 'killed' me too! He's very laid back.. could not even believe I noticed this... lol

I didnt see any employees address this but I also didnt see anyone go to one... Doesn't mean they were not approached, just I didn't see it...

I love the part where she folded over the top of the lounger (nothing on it).... People came and went ... no one complained.. She really took ownership! lol

Archived