Sewage smell

ifuwill

We sailed on the Golden Princess last year and had a room on the Emerald Deck. We noticed a sewage smell every time we would use or flush the toilet. In addition, occasionally some black sooty liquid would drain into the lav or at times wouldn't even flush. Sometimes the corridor would also smell like sewage. The attendant told me that this is common. I wrote it up on the comment card but never received a reply.

A few weeks ago, we completed a cruise aboard the Sapphire Princess and also had a cabin on the Emerald Deck in the same vicinity as the previous ship and have to say that we never encountered any foul smells of any kind.

Has anyone else had this experience?

We sailed on the Golden Princess last year and had a room on the Emerald Deck. We noticed a sewage smell every time we would use or flush the toilet. In addition, occasionally some black sooty liquid would drain into the lav or at times wouldn't even flush. Sometimes the corridor would also smell like sewage. The attendant told me that this is common. I wrote it up on the comment card but never received a reply.

A few weeks ago, we completed a cruise aboard the Sapphire Princess and also had a cabin on the Emerald Deck in the same vicinity as the previous ship and have to say that we never encountered any foul smells of any kind.

Has anyone else had this experience?

We had the same sewage smell in the hallway outside our outside stateroom on the Carnival Liberty 2 years ago when we first boarded. Again, the steward said it was normal for this area, something to do with the sewage ducting. It was not too bad and after a few days, did nt notice it.

Never, never, never had a sewage smell onboard a Princess ship and we usually stay on the Emerald Deck (my favorite.)

Onboard the NCL Star/Carnival Pride and the Carnival Elation we had that horrid smell. It's so disgusting! On the Pride the smell was present on the way to the dining room (didn't eat too much, on that ship), until we stopped eating in the DR and went to the buffet instead! :rolleyes:

I have yet to witness it on Princess.

Unfortunatley with a large floating city it has to vent somewhere and those smells are inevitable at some point inside or outside.

This happens on many ships and is associated with poor design practices.

Tolerance of poor design is unfortunate.

My DH and DS smelled a sewage smell on the new Ruby last month. I don't remember what deck it was, but I know it was near the aft elevators on a passenger deck. It could've been the Emerald Deck. That was the first, and hopefully the last, time we ever smelled anything like that.

My DH and DS smelled a sewage smell on the new Ruby last month. I don't remember what deck it was, but I know it was near the aft elevators on a passenger deck. It could've been the Emerald Deck. That was the first, and hopefully the last, time we ever smelled anything like that.

Trust me if this smell emanates from your room you will not like it. It came from a neighbors room on a celebrity cruise once and I could not believe the smell when he opened the door to his room.

I have also noticed this smell on HAL and Princess. I do not think changing cruise lines is a solution. This is related to poor design and not properly discussed here or any where.

On the Ruby, it was only in one small area and once you walked about 10' away, it was gone. I couldn't imagine that kind of smell in a cabin. Yuck!

Trust me it smells relatively good in the hallway compared to full strength in a cabin. These cabins need to be fixed but there is no reason to spend the money as there is no one that keeps track of these experiences.

The few reported here are questioned by the Princess cheerleaders and everybody else as well. Remeber this comunity only represents 1 to 3 percent of cruisers.

On the Dawn Princess last year, there was a very strong sewage smell in the Atrium on the port side of the Plaza deck. In Puerto Vallarta, we were delayed in leaving as they had "Andy Gump" sewage trucks pumping for an hour after our scheduled departure time. After that, the smell pretty much dissippated. Not pleasant though... :eek:

But, I've never "smelled" the problem on a Grand-class ship...:rolleyes:

On the Dawn Princess last year, there was a very strong sewage smell in the Atrium on the port side of the Plaza deck. In Puerto Vallarta, we were delayed in leaving as they had "Andy Gump" sewage trucks pumping for an hour after our scheduled departure time. After that, the smell pretty much dissippated. Not pleasant though... :eek:

But, I've never "smelled" the problem on a Grand-class ship...:rolleyes:

Well, those trucks worked -- didn't smell a thing on the Dawn three months after your cruise! So thanks!

It's been reported in the past, here on CC, that there's been a sewage smell problem on the Diamond Princess in D741 and on the Sapphire in D740.

To the original poster on this thread:

What was your cabin number on the Golden? We have a minisuite booked on the starboard side of the Emerald deck for next year. Hope we won't be in the same area where the problem odor was.

Archived