Best and Worst of Travel Companions

gander24

The best cruising companions are my DS, my parents, and my two sets of aunts and uncles. We have been cruising together for several years now.:D We each do our own things, sometimes with the others, but we always eat dinner in the dining room together.

My DH would not be a good crusing companion because he does not like to be confined with people he has not known for 100 years or so. :eek: (But for any car trip he is the best companion:D)

DD is great to travel with.

DM is also great to travel with. We enjoy the same things, and like to take it easy. I have never cruised with her though (YET!).

My BFF is easy to travel with too.

DB is the most awful person to travel with. He doesn't like to walk, doesn't like heat, doesn't want to spend any money. I could go on and on.

I have been on several trips with DM and DB.... DB makes it miserable EVERY time.... unfortunately, he still lives at home with DM and she feels "bad" if she doesn't invite him.....:mad:

My worst traveling companion is my mom. The first trip I took her on was to HA and just every thing she did set my nails to the chalkboard. I thought maybe it was a fluke so I took her with me last yr on our first cruise.

She just annoys me to no end. She can not sit still and asks the most retarded questions. She behaves as though she has never been out in public before. You just want to bury your head and die. And no she is 59 yrs young.....no dementia or other issues.

My best travel mate is another mom from son's soccer team. She and I have traveled for soccer together over 5 years now and are just totally in-sync with each others wants/needs are. We have a really good time together. Hate it when her husband decides to come....

I have a great story about my great-aunt. She is my grandfather's baby sister ... by about 15 years. When I was growing up, she lived a few hours away from me, so I seldom saw her until I was older.

She and her husband had traveled the US, and his death was very hard on her. (They had no children.) My dad decided he wanted to go to Alaska, and it became a big family cruise .. including my great-aunt. This was her first trip since my great-uncle's death, and she would just weep at nights in the cabin .... But during the day, there was no stopping her. And she wanted to keep up with us "young-uns" every step of the way. Afternoon cocktails were a must-do ... and the waiters had such fun with her at meals. Many of the dining room staff and cabin waiters called her Grand-mama .... and she would just beam!

The best part was that she discovered that she was capable of traveling again. She and her group of widowed friends would go on bus trips and cruises and all she would bring us back were the stories. She is now too frail to travel much anymore, but I'm hoping we might get her on another cruise sometime.

1: Best to travel with is Significant other!

2: Worst to travel with my parents - they always fight.

3: Have thought about travelling with friends, but then decide against it cause its too hard to do excursions and please everybody. I don't want to have to compromise doing something when I 'm on vacation just cause one person in the group doesn't want to do it. So for now it's me and GF.

Best travling companion is my hubby and my family. If I'm with one or the other, or both, it's always a good time. We all enjoy cruising so much, spending time together, laughing, having dinner, etc.

Worst travel companion? My bff. I've YET to travel with her in the 13 years I've known her because the 2 cruises she's gone on, she's had a list of complaints (this was better on this cruise, he didn't make my bed at a certain time, the food wasn't good, blah, blah, blah). My husband even knows it would be a disaster. I'm really debating though to do it anyways and try to get her to see the good side of it and how not everything has to be 1000 stars to be a fun time.

My DH is the best traveling companion! We have the best times together! This year will be our first time traveling with our whole family. So I'll keep you posted as to who is the worst traveling companion. LOL :D

My favorite travelling companions are my boys now aged 17 and 14 .We started to cruise when the little one was 5 .They love to visit different places love to snorkel like me

I promisedthem when they were small if they learned how to swim I would teach them to snorkel.They are both great swimmers ...bronze cross or star ...almost lifeguards

Both are adventurous and great sports

Unfortunately my little guy ...6 feet tall now ...so not so little ....has freaked himself out of flying due to a show called MAYDAY.He refuses to get on a plane

On my last cruise with my oldest only we really bonded and had a great time

My hubby is Great without the kids .When they are around he needs to CONTROL!!!!!

He loves to shop on vacation buys all kinds of junk .Presents for HIS family -MIL etc

:( :( :(

becomes a priority

I love to travel I hope my kids will continue to do so with me

It's amazing what a complainer will do to the mood of the trip... I wonder if someone knew that their complaining made them a candidate for "worst travel companion," do you think they would stop?

For me, a complainer not only brings in the negativity but it also brings in the awkwardness. I have an aunt and an uncle who are nitpickers times a thousand. I hate going out to dinner, because they have a thousand different requests and my uncle almost ALWAYS goes out of his way to make the waiter/waitress feel awkward in some way.

The best AND worst traveling companion is my Mom :)

The best because she truly is the sweetest woman in the world (not to mention the best mom) and I love her to death.

The worst (and its only a small worst *LOL*) She is another one who worries about everything. Plus as I have always said . She is a cross between Sophia on the Golden Girls, and Auntie Mame, with a little bit of Ruth Gordons character in "Rosemary's Baby" thrown in . *LOL* It only takes her being some place 5 minutes and she knows everyone and all their business and they know hers. Much to the chagrin of her children :(

She just has a way about her that makes people start a conversation with her right off the bat. :)

For instance, she had to go to the DMV to renew her license. Where we are you get a number and then sit in a waiting area until it is called and then you go up to the counter and do your business.

In the 20 minutes she was sitting there waiting to be called , her and the woman sitting next to her became best buds. *LOL* They just met right there at the DMV and actually exchanged numbers and occasionally go out to lunch. :)

Recently there was a thread where some people mentioned they are offended when tablemates ask what you do for a living.

MAN !!!!!!! Don't ever sit with Norma *LOL*

After the first nights dinner she will know how much you make, what caused your first marriage to break up, how many times your kid has been in rehab, and the persons name you lost your virginity to.

It's amazing what a complainer will do to the mood of the trip... I wonder if someone knew that their complaining made them a candidate for "worst travel companion," do you think they would stop?

For me, a complainer not only brings in the negativity but it also brings in the awkwardness. I have an aunt and an uncle who are nitpickers times a thousand. I hate going out to dinner, because they have a thousand different requests and my uncle almost ALWAYS goes out of his way to make the waiter/waitress feel awkward in some way.

*LOL* I have an aunt and uncle just like them.

They are nice people but going into a restaurant with them is agony.

You have to make at least three table changes before my aunt is happy ( "its too drafty here", "I don't want to be right by the kitchen" yadda yadda yadda )

Then its an ordeal to order a meal . They want the egg not over easy, not sunny side but kinda sunny side , but don't break the yolk, don't make the bacon to crisp , but not to fatty, and they want this on a seaprate plate , and that on a separate plate, coffee but don't bring it until the food comes because then its cold if they bring it right now) DEAR GOD!!!! *LOL*

I've been on 2 cruises thus far, and another planned for this fall. Both had good and bad components as far as companions.

My first cruise was with my DH, my BFF and her soon-to-be-ex-husband. He was an obnoxious alcoholic, and no one could really stand being around him (but came as a package deal if I wanted my friend to come along, obviously). It was almost painful to watch my friend try to force herself to have a good time with him...they were separated about 6 months later. The one good thing was that we could split off and either do couple's things, or do boys/girls things. My BFF and I hit the spa, the boys played basketball, etc. Love the walkie talkies for times like those.

Second cruise was with my DH, my BFF and her boyfriend, and another couple that we were acquaintances with. The "acquaintances" ended up on the trip because a discussion about cruising and a, "yeah, you should really try it some time" from me was interpreted by them as an invitation. They were quite a bit younger than us as well, and it was obvious when they literally partied til they puked...to the point they didn't make it to dinner half of the darn time. That was more than a tad annoying. Then they'd b!tch about their S&S, when they're the ones ordering DOUBLE Long Islands, at $12 a pop (but they had like 1/4 the contents of a liquor bottle in their glasses for each drink). Then they came home and b!tched to all our friends in common about how expensive the trip was and how they didn't have a good time. WELL, if you wouldn't drop $300 a night on BOOZE, you wouldn't have the high S&S NOR would you feel crappy and be unable to enjoy your vacation. DUH. :rolleyes:

This time it's DH and I, our two kiddos, my sister and nephew, my dad...and about 35 other people (my mom isn't going because she says she's "afraid something will happen to the kids on the trip". A.) if I thought that, as I'm more than slightly overprotective to begin with, does she actually think I'd BRING them along? and B.) I'm glad she isn't going, because she'd be jumpy and twitchy about everything and drive me INSANE). :) I'm looking forward to opening up the big wide world of travel to my kids, and seeing everything through their eyes. The other 35 people are friends we've met on previous cruises...and THEIR friends and family. It should be very exciting.

I honestly don't think I'd enjoy myself as much if it were just DH and I.

My only piece of advice would be to know the people you're going with quite well before you go. And go with the understanding that you all can spend as much or as little time together as either of you likes. I told the people we're cruising with up front that we'd want a little couple/family time solo.

Best to travel with My 18 year old son, he never complains he is usually up before we are he loves breakfast in the dining room , he always leaves a note to let let us know where is at and he always bring me a cup of coffee when he passes through and if I am lucky chocolate covered Strawberries, We are celebrating his High School Graduation on the Conquest in August and for the first time he won't be sharing a cabin with me, he asked if we could still do our traditional midnight room service, he rocks!

This is so sweet...you must have done one heck of a job in raising him. My son is 5, and I can only hope he'll grow up to be as sweet and considerate as yours. He's well on his way...he's my best little buddy and I just love his company (and the same with my 9 year old DD). I have to tell you that between this post and my DS's Kindergarten year almost over, I'm getting a bit misty-eyed. :o

The #1 Golden rule when traveling with anyone is - Always agree before you go that you don't need to be together all the time and do all the same things!

I love traveling with my wonderful hubby. When I travel with others, I feel responsible for them having a good time and I hate the pressure. :( I don't like specifying what time I will be eating breakfast, what excursion will make everyone happy, because it won't happen. I don't care for the pool games, I would rather sip a nice glass of wine and read in the sun while the hubby plays basketball. So, when we travel with companions, family and or friends, we agree to eat dinner together, compare notes from the day and we all say what we are doing that night Whoever wants to do it does, and whoever doesn't want to, does something else. It makes great convercasion at dinner the next night. :D

Hope you guys have a wonderful trip!

My SO is great to travel with because he likes to see new sites and experience new surroundings. He is almost always open to try new adventures. It takes some coaxing at times but he eventually will give in and try and end up having a blast.

Then at times he's not so good to travel with because he always asks questions about this or that and if he would pay attention when I tell him what I have read on CC he wouldn't have to ask so many questions. Usually I spend a lot of time researching our destinations and put together a little travel portfolio for us and give it to him to read. Well he doesn't like to read either so he's always asking the questions. It drives me crazy at times.

Our most enjoyable trips have been with our grandchildren (without their parents) when they are in ages of 5 to 14. Any younger or older than that and they can be a PIA. We rented a large motorhome and drove all 7 of them to Disney in FL from Houston. At that time they were 5-12. It was great, I drove, they had their games, food and potty. What else does a kid need.

We rarely travel with our grown children as sometimes they also can be a PIA. We did cruise with the oldest son, girl friend and his 3 sons this year. He and the girl friend was a last minute add on as the MIL could not go. I would rather it the son then the MIL any day.

We have cruised with several different couples who we had known for years and had a great time. We had taken land vacations with them also.

The worst trip was a week long camping trip with our 3 grown children and spouses with kids. All they did the whole week is argue who's turn it was to buy ice or beer. It was a very looong week.

My husband and 2 kids are the best to travel with... at least once I talk them into going.:p

So far all our trips with family and friends have been great. We are traveling with a few new people on our upcoming cruise. I'm just hoping they'll be fun. Looking forward to finding out!:)

My favorite is my DH. I only wish I could have my mother here to go on a cruise with. We would of had great fun!!! I have fun on any cruise I'm on, been with mother in law and friend, had great time. I was blessed to watch them have the time of their life. Did one with my cousin had great fun also. She on the other hand not so much, didn't let it spoil my fun. I just love to cruise. DH and I will be on the Dream Jan 2010, can't wait!!!!

Best-My DH

Worst-this is a toss up between my girlfriends on the day we stop at a port with a Carlos & Charlies or Senor Frogs or my MIL who drives me nuts with her worrying over everything.

I've taken more cruises with my girlfriends than I have my MIL if that tells ya anything.

Traveling with friends can be dangerous. My best friend from work whom I've known for 30 years wanted to cruise with us. He and his wife never cruised before so they wanted us to pick the islands and the shore tours. Well my friend's wife ended up hating everything, she was afraid someone was going to kidnap her on all of the islands. She was afraid to go in the water for fear of being eaten. hated all of the shore tours. Didn't like the food on the Ship. Complained constantly about the cost of everything. Said she would have rather stayed home. Well, he and I are still friends but it has never been the same since our return. We had agreed before we left that we didn't have to do everything together, but it didn't turn out that way she was afraid to go anywhere even on the ship with out us. Unless you really know both husband and wife real well, I would say don't do it. It can be the end of a friendship.

To OP, I love the question. I personally travel best ALONE. I can do what I want, when I want, and nobody but me is mad, if whatever it is stinks.

But, One of my favorite trips was when I took my then 7 year old son to the Louisville SLugger bat factory. It was a spur of the moment plan change,and I will be forever grateful that my friend who lives there, said, SURE, you can sleep on my couch.{ you and your 2 kids,lol}. I did not tell DS what we were doing the next day, all he knew was that I was getting to see an old friend, and we'd be headed home the next day.

WHen we drove past, he saw the huge bat out front and got excited. Then when we parked, and walked the 2 blocks back down the street, he was going, I wonder what that big ole bat is for. I had both of my boys with me,youngest DS was not a year old yet, but he behaved. Oldest DS was in 7th heaven during the factory tour. Then I suprised him by buying him a bat with his name on it. It was truly a GREAT day and great trip for me and my boys. DH had to work, or else it would have been perfect!

Sappy I know, but I hope I gave ya what ya asked for!

As for favorite ppl to travel with besides me, it has to be my oldest Ds and my Mom.and my older DS She and I had a blast on a road trip to Houston. And oldest DS b/c I was a single mom for several years and if I wanted to take off somewhere, I took him with me.

Least fav, My younger DS, and my almost 2 year old. They both whine and fuss!!! lol.

My boyfriend and I are taking our first cruise together. I've been on a few, this will be his first one. I have a feeling this is going to be the best one yet :) We travel so well together, and that got me thinking...

1. Who do you travel best with? Friends, significant others, parents.

2. Who is the most difficult to travel with? Although my mom is tons of fun, she panicks about everything.. i.e. "do you have your passport? x10000), "we're not gonna make it to the boat!", "what if it rains?!" It can be amusing at first, but then it gets old and we have to tell her to stop :) Luckily, 3 days into the vacation she usually calms down.

3. Have you ever been in a situation where you thought a travel companion would be a bad/good fit, and you were proved wrong?

Let's hear those experiences, people!!

I travel with my wife. Traveling with other people can get dicey. Did you see the movie "Out to Sea" with Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon? That proves my point.

Archived