transportation from seward to anchorage

janines

July disembark on Celebrity Millenium on Fri, July 17th. What is the best transportation from Seward to Achorage. We have a 9 pm flight. Would you recommend an exursion in Seward and then travel to Achorage or take cruise transportation that am and do somethng in Achorage. If we stay in Seward, what transportation is available?

thanks,

janines

To go from Seward to Anc and not use the train would be a shame it is one of the must dos. But last time I checked it leaves at 0630 but I would think the ship would offer this as an option.

Jack

for the little redneck

To go from Seward to Anc and not use the train would be a shame it is one of the must dos. But last time I checked it leaves at 0630 but I would think the ship would offer this as an option.

Jack

for the little redneck

For clairfication, the only option for them is the cruise contracted train, leaving around 7am. Then they are in Anchorage for touring.

Another recommendation, that I give an edge to, since it makes much more use of time, is a costly one way car rental. You then have the whole day for excellent touring opportunities- to me, is the "shame" to miss. :)

If you are able to disembark by 7 am, as Budget Queen mentions, then there's also an option of taking the morning Kenai Fjords National Park day cruise, which leaves at 8 am. You're back in Seward around 2 pm, which leaves you 5+ hours for the drive to Anchorage if you want to be at the airport by 7:30. You'd need to rent a car, which is expensive, but it would allow you to stop along the way to enjoy this very scenic drive. In you don't hit any traffic delays, you might be able to fit in a short stop at the Wildlife Conservation Center (free admission with your Kenai Fjords ticket), or a short side trip to see Portage Lake -- or a meal in Seward or along the way.

-- Eric

Seward is very worth spending time in............lots to do

BUT

before you do NOT reserve that train to Anchorage through your cruise,

CHECK THE ONE WAY PRICE of a car rental.....................THAT will cause you to make your decision.

The train ride is lovely.

If you rent a car, be sure to allow yourself enough time to get to Anchorage to catch that plane. We took the train once and there was some kind of issue on the road. Cars backed up for a mile or so.

Also, remember, you will have to have gotten up very early for disembarkation and if you are touring in Seward and then having to drive to Anchorage, it could make for a long day. The train ride is gorgeous as well. It's all about the choices. :)

These are your options. The least expensive being the motorcoach. You need to decide what would give you the experience you are most looking for in Alaska. As the previous posters have suggested, Seward offers a lot to the Alaska visitor. It would be a shame to miss it. However, only you can decide what to do. In your situation, I would do the one way car rental. How often will you be in Alaska. The one way car rental will let you see the most in the time you have. So, look over the options below, make your decision and enjoy Alaska!!!

1. Cruise contracted train at 7:00 a.m.

2. One Way car rental with Hertz 907-224-4378

3. 2:30 p.m. Motorcoach http://thestageline.net/

3. PJs Taxi Service http://www.pjstaxi.com/

I *highly* recommend PJ's Taxi. My husband and I used Renee from PJ's last week during our whole time in Seward and she was wonderful. She drove us all over the place, knew all the best little spots for spotting wildlife (and she's really good at spotting it!), was extremely reliable, friendly, fun and reasonably priced.

We could have gotten transportation from her to and from Anchorage but I had already booked another company for that and did feel right about cancelling. She is more than willing to stop anywhere and everywhere for pictures etc and is very knowledgable about the area. http://www.pjstaxi.com/

Julie

Archived