Enrichment/scholarship speakers

marypat01

I am interested in knowing what topics fellow cruisers want to hear on board Princess. I've heard "Pirates of the Caribbean"; "Ancient Atlantis"; "PreColumbian Culture of the Eastern Caribbean" and a few others. What else have you heard (that you liked) and what other topics you would love to hear on a Caribbean or Panama cruise?

Several of our cruises have had natralists who spoke about the areas we were sailing thru.

We had the woman who won the Ididarrod.

We had a man talking about the traditional Atlantic crossings.

I am interested in knowing what topics fellow cruisers want to hear on board Princess. I've heard "Pirates of the Caribbean"; "Ancient Atlantis"; "PreColumbian Culture of the Eastern Caribbean" and a few others. What else have you heard (that you liked) and what other topics you would love to hear on a Caribbean or Panama cruise?
Oh, my... I've heard quite a few enrichment lecturers on everything from investing to the Antarctica Treaty. Some put everyone to sleep; others make you wish there were more where the lecturer came from.

my favorite enrichment speaker on a Princess cruise was film critic Leonard Maltin who lectured on the greatest movies that you probably never have seen. A very lively session. And some of his recommendations were pretty good films that I had never heard of and enjoyed back on shore.

The best I've ever experienced was the naturalist on our Princess Alaska cruise. Not only was he great at alerting us to wildlife, but he gave four different talks -- each one was different and they were all equally fascinating.

Our CD for the Baltics, John Lawrence, gave some good lectures on the Romanovs.

Nothing else really stands out. As wonderful as our Egypt/Aegean cruise was, I missed having someone on board -- maybe a historian? -- who could've given a little added depth to all the wonderful ancient places we visited.

The best I've ever experienced was the naturalist on our Princess Alaska cruise. Not only was he great at alerting us to wildlife, but he gave four different talks -- each one was different and they were all equally fascinating.

Our CD for the Baltics, John Lawrence, gave some good lectures on the Romanovs.

Nothing else really stands out. As wonderful as our Egypt/Aegean cruise was, I missed having someone on board -- maybe a historian? -- who could've given a little added depth to all the wonderful ancient places we visited.

You know, I'm finishing up my doctorate in history -- so anytime you'd like to take me along with you on a cruise, I'm happy to come as your own personal historian!

Working on the ships, I get a chance to see almost all of the speakers, on a wide range of topics. For me, the best one I have ever seen was John Maxtone-Graham, when we did the inaugural cruise on the Crown. His specialty is the history of cruise liners, (note I said "liners"...a distinction that he makes quite clear in his talks) and his Titanic presentation is about the best I've heard, and by this time, I've heard a half dozen people do one. He has a wonderful wit, and clearly loves his topic.

Working on the ships, I get a chance to see almost all of the speakers, on a wide range of topics. For me, the best one I have ever seen was John Maxtone-Graham, when we did the inaugural cruise on the Crown. His specialty is the history of cruise liners, (note I said "liners"...a distinction that he makes quite clear in his talks) and his Titanic presentation is about the best I've heard, and by this time, I've heard a half dozen people do one. He has a wonderful wit, and clearly loves his topic.

John Maxtone-Graham was on the Star last spring. It was hard to find a seat when he talked.

On the other end of the spectrum, our last cruise was b2b to the Amazon. Our guest speaker was Melvin. Lets just say he didn't even read his text well. We stayed for part of one then stayed away. On the second cruise we saw him listed again in the patter and stayed away, only to find out the second cruise we had Melvyn Foster. He was excellent. I told him he need to have them note that he was a different Melvyn in the Patter.

Is there any way I can find out who will be speaking before the cruise? (I know Crystal lists their lecturers on their web site, but haven't been able to find this for Princess.)

We're on Sapphire Princess from Whittier on August 1st of this year.

Thanks.

the best: John Maxtone -Graham and John Lawrence with the nod going to John Lawrence They were worth the cruises. One to the Fjords and one to the Baltic. Our Amazon Cruise was lacking.Hutch was great but we needed a naturalist.The tours when we stayed in Manaus were outstanding.We were there for 5 days after the cruise.Kathe

Thanks for the responses - I would have to say I am a little self-serving in this regards. I have been one of the S@S speakers and am interested in know what others would like to see/hear, especially on the Caribbean cruises. I do talks on the Maya Prophccies, Bermuda Triangle, and other stuff, but I am always looking to provide what my fellow cruisers would be inerested in. So, if there are subbjects you would like for the future, please post them!!!!

Archived