Alaska May 27, how cold? how to dress

jerrybev

A few years ago we went at the end of May and the weather was wonderful. I'm from Florida and we tend to get cold fast but I was quite comfortable. Wear layers-I had on a windbreaker type jacket over a sweatshirt over a long sleeved shirt and during the day had to remove the jacket. I found that sneakers with socks were warm enough on the feet. Boots are too hard to pack. The only time I felt cold was in Glacier Bay as we were on deck for four hours surrounded by ICE. I wore gloves and a hat plus the jacket and sweatshirt and it was windy.

We are going again May 8th and I plan to take the same jacket and an assortment of sweats. I can't answer your question about dancing but there are lounges and a disco on board depending on the ship.

Enjoy

I've been there twice, once in late May, once in mid-June. The weather we had in late May was nicer, less rainy, and generally more comfy for me than my first Alaskan cruise in the month of June. Layers are the answer. If you warm up, you can take off layers. Do remember light-weight gloves and something for your ears/head. I took earmuffs and one-size cheapy gloves and I was fine. One thing I wish I'd taken was a scarf to wrap around my neck. That wind could creep into my coat around the neck and make me chilly.

Have fun!

Our cruise to Alaska was partly in May. We had rain 2 days out of the 10 and found that our leather walking shoes were fine. (No boots needed) We used rather inexpensive rain ponchos while on our tours. It wasn't even as cool as my home town. When we took a tour to a glacier we were provided with warm snow boots and warm jackets and gloves. As mentioned before layers are the best, no need for heavy jackets.

Alaska is like the lottery, you never know.

I have cruised Alaska 6 times and have had varied weather. Rule of thumb, take layers so that if it is warm you can take a layer off but if it is cold, you are comfortable.

Planning to go in May 2005 again!

Archived