travel steamers

keesu89

Hi all:

As a newbie more or less I have a newbie question. I know that travel irons are forbidden for obvious reasons, but as I have things I don't want ironed with a hot iron, but that will need a touch up I am wondering if I can bring a small travel steamer. Doesn't get really hot like an iron, and I would think no more of a risk than a blowdryer. Has anyone done this before?

Thanks for any info.

Steamers are not allowed about ships either. HAL has a wonderful laundry service for moderate price. Very few things, if carefully packed (try using dry cleaner bags), will need touching up but if it does, send it out for pressing. You're on vacation and the price really is moderate and having a few articles done should not cost very much.

I've heard the price is moderate for pressing but I've never heard a price mentioned though I've asked many times. Does anyone have an idea? $10 to get one shirt pressed might be moderate to someone...but not me:D. It's never been an issue for me in the past because I've never sailed on a Vista.....but that day is coming. I have a lot of cotton blouses I bring on cruises and there isn't enough cleaner bags for all the clothes I bring:D.

I'm sure it will depend upon the length of the cruise, but IIRC the cost I've seen of the 'pressing only' package was about $30 (10-day cruise). That covers unlimited pressing.

That sounds good to me. I'm sure I'd get my monies worth out of that. Thanks so much for the information Mary Ellen.

I wasn't so much worried about the cost as about delicate fabrics and very hot irons. If no travel steamers allowed I will work something out, maybe hang things in the bathroom while I shower.

I can't find anywhere on the HAL website where travel steamers are banned. If someone can find that source, please, I'd like to see it.

This subject has been discussed before & there is a tiny mention in the big fat book in the cabin restricting steamers. That being said, I still take mine. I also take a flat iron & curling irons for my hair, which I'm guessing get a lot hotter. We are very careful to unplug everything prior to leaving the cabin.

I do pack a LOT in plastic bags from the dry cleaners, which helps some. But hanging things in the bathroom during a shower only gets out so much. And I don't care to use the Downey product on fine or delicate fabrics. :rolleyes:

I can't find anywhere on the HAL website where travel steamers are banned. If someone can find that source, please, I'd like to see it.

This subject has been discussed before & there is a tiny mention in the big fat book in the cabin restricting steamers. That being said, I still take mine. I also take a flat iron & curling irons for my hair, which I'm guessing get a lot hotter. We are very careful to unplug everything prior to leaving the cabin.

I do pack a LOT in plastic bags from the dry cleaners, which helps some. But hanging things in the bathroom during a shower only gets out so much. And I don't care to use the Downey product on fine or delicate fabrics. :rolleyes:

I agree....there are plenty of other things that are more of a fire hazard. I find this steamer ban to be plenty stupid as well. Like you say unplug stuff before you go. That should be common sense....sadly for some...it's not.

I don't know if it is on the HAL website, as I've never looked for it there.

I do know that at least twice that I can specifically remember, it was in a letter on the desk in the cabin when I arrived on embarkation day. The letter was quite specific, and could not be misunderstood---no irons or steamers were allowed in the cabins.

I still have the letters with the papers from those cruises.

Debbie - Both my flat iron & curling irons have super duper fry your hair hot settings that I don't use, they get that hot. I've never seen your question asked on the boards here before, but it will be one UGLY sight if a HAL employee (like a security officer at gunpoint) tries to separate me from my irons. :eek: I'm so attached to them, I refer to them as my best friends. :D

And Ruth, yes, I know those statements are in the cabin, but by then, pax have already brought the steamers with them. My point is that where is the info prior to the cruise? :confused:

If HAL wants to ban certain items or activities for fire safety, then I can think of a few others. ;)

I agree....there are plenty of other things that are more of a fire hazard. I find this steamer ban to be plenty stupid as well. Like you say unplug stuff before you go. That should be common sense....sadly for some...it's not.

Please talk to HAL if you have any safety concerns about items being brought on board by guests which you consider a fire hazard. I am sure they will be able to assess the items.

Having seen the results of someone using a steamer in their cabin and accidentally setting off a fire sprinkler, fortunately my cabin was not one of those that were flooded, I am in favor of the ban of using them. Whilst the majority of people are sensible when using electrical equipment there are plenty of others who are not!

IIRC a fire on on the last Nieuw Amsterdam was caused by someone leaving a kettle, coffee pot or similar switched on when they went out. Anyone remember that incident?

Why even take the chance? Endanger property and even lives? My "take" on it is I am not going to see most of the folks on this ship again and who cares if my hair doesn't look absolutely perfect all the time and there are a few wrinkles in my clothes (they match the face!) I am here to have a good time, not iron and fool with the hair! By the way, Downey Wrinkly Release does not harm silk or any other fabric, have used it for years. Now I have stepped on a lot of toes, off I go!

Archived