Am I correct ?????

jasl

It is my understanding that when one buys a return flight and does not use the outbound portion, there is a likely hood that the return flight will be canceled. Thanks...................

It is my understanding that when one buys a return flight and does not use the outbound portion, there is a likely hood that the return flight will be canceled. Thanks...................

Yes

You can throw away the return (with some caveats). Can't throw away the outbound and expect to board the return. Your entire reservation was canceled when you didn't board the outbound. Why not just book the flights in reverse??? I know it sometimes adds a lot to the cost; ie:LHR/JFK is generally a bit more expensive than JFK/LHR, but it is worth a look.

Technically, someone doing "throw away" ticketing can be retroactively charged full OW fare by the airline. Also they can have their frequent flyer account revoked. This is all in the contract of carriage.

Practically, airlines seem to only go after people who do this multiple times. Also they have gone after travel agents who allow the practice. Many will not knowingly do a TAT. The ticket should be booked online.

I'm not discouraging it at all, just a FYI.

If you have purchased any type of discount ticket and don't take the outbound flight, all of your downline space will be cancelled. The airlines assume you aren't traveling....so frees up the space you are holding.

Price by segment?? You are getting screwed royally! Take it from someone who has been in the travel business, and airline and ticketing end of it, for over 30 years.

Price by segment?? You are getting screwed royally! Take it from someone who has been in the travel business, and airline and ticketing end of it, for over 30 years.

Here we go again.

PLEASE contribute something USEFUL!!!

It's obvious the poster is using the term price by segment to refer to an airline that offers one way pricing.

There are some airlines (Southwest, and I think Aeor Lingus for example) that offer one way pricing. How is a passenger, who only needs one way transportation, getting screwed if he books such an airline?

You have it reversed, a passenger that throws away the return ticket runs the risk of getting screwed if the airline tries to enforce terms of their CoC.

It's obvious the poster is using the term price by segment to refer to an airline that offers one way pricing.

There are some airlines (Southwest, and I think Aeor Lingus for example) that offer one way pricing. How is a passenger, who only needs one way transportation, getting screwed if he books such an airline?

You have it reversed, a passenger that throws away the return ticket runs the risk of getting screwed if the airline tries to enforce terms of their CoC.

I took eh2zed's post to mean "book by schedule" If you use ITA, you can see the flights you need at a decent price. However, you need to get the flight numbers and go to the airline website and book by schedule (so long as you are in the same fare class, you SHOULD get the same price as shown on ITA).

But maybe I was wrong in my interpretation.

Whatever

AGAIN, Alidor posts TOTALLY USELESS INFO not related to the OP. Guess we all need to get a TA (not in MY wildest dreams for air)

Thanks for the support Greatam. A number of airlines do provide one way pricing. Air Canada which I use a lot is one. We flew one way to Quebec City on West Jet and then one way home from Fort Lauderdale on Air Canada and got great pricing on 2 one ways. This was on a QC to Fort Lauderdale repositioning. Just one example.

Thanks for the support Greatam. A number of airlines do provide one way pricing. Air Canada which I use a lot is one. We flew one way to Quebec City on West Jet and then one way home from Fort Lauderdale on Air Canada and got great pricing on 2 one ways. This was on a QC to Fort Lauderdale repositioning. Just one example.

I was totally wrong in my interpretation of your post. You DID mean one way tickets. I thought you meant "book by schedule".

Yes, one ways, if properly priced, would solve the OP's dilemma. BUT not a lot of one ways to Europe, Asia or SA that are reasonably priced (other than consolidator tickets)

Archived