What kind of food can you take off the ship for a light lunch?

In most ports the only thing you can take off the ship are pre-packaged foods. No fresh fruits, vegetables, etc. There are agricultural rules in most ports that prevent this - the actual rules vary by country.

The only pre-packaged foods I've seen readily available on the ships are the individual boxes of cereal so if you are wanting items to take off the ship in ports you will need to bring them from home.

You are not supposed to take any food off the ship unless it comes pre-packaged like granola or candy bars, those packs of peanut butter or cheese crackers...stuff like that.

There will be those here who will tell you they took sandwiches, cheese, fruit, everything but the kitchen sink and nobody said a word. Personally, I would not want to be the one who got caught. In most ports there are stiff fines for taking food off the ship. These fines are imposed by the port not the ship. I believe fruit, veggies and meat are really against the rules.

If you really need to take something off, stick with pre-packaged stuff. I would bring this kind of thing from home as it can be pricey onboard.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise!

Ooops! Wrona, you can obviously type a lot faster than I, but we both gave excellent advice, doncha think ??!!

Most ports have restaurants....I know, you probably don't want to spend extra money, but it is the easiest way to have lunch!

Do not attempt to bring produce or meat off the ship...they can fine you, or arrest you....even tho you won't be thrown in jail, it will totally ruin you small amount of time in port!

I was hoping to take some fruit, cookies, etc. to snack on, but I am not sure if there are specific rules agains this.

Hi,

I know for a fact that fruit is a BIG NO NO. It's not only NOT to be taken off at a port of call. The cruise lines doesn't want you to take any back off even back in the states. I've heard of people getting a fine if caught.

Just bring something that is pre wrapped or sealed. A snack box of cereal

would be a good munchie.

Happy sailings.

Joyce & Of Course Harvey

Ooops! Wrona, you can obviously type a lot faster than I, but we both gave excellent advice, doncha think ??!!

Absolutely. Hope you are having a good Memorial Day.

As it was, I bought my granola bars yesterday to throw in my carryon.

some ports of call are not as strict or as clear in their instructions - you may still get fined even if there is no warning or clarification, so best to assume that nothing edible that isn't processed and prepackaged can be taken off the ship.

In New Zealand and Australia, agriculture inspectors come on board and also their sniffer dogs are in action to check that you are following the rules.

Like Emi’s mom, I thought the rule was not bringing any food back on board. There are many signs to remind the passengers. I don’t recall seeing any signs regarding taking food off the ship.

We eat in local resturants in port but might take a piece of fruit if it is going to be a long day. I'll look for the rules in the future.

M

It's often printed in the Compass that you can't bring food off the ship at the port.

Once, as we disembarked the ship in Ocho Rios, we encountered a local authority checkpoint, complete with sniffing dogs, looking for agricultural products. In a couple of other ports, they had large trash cans with big signs asking the passengers not to bring food into their country.

I was going to ask a similar question. Our issue is that my wife has a fatal nut allergy, and we can't risk eating in most foreign places. We were hoping that the ship would pack a safe lunch for her to take on our excursions.

I was going to ask a similar question. Our issue is that my wife has a fatal nut allergy, and we can't risk eating in most foreign places. We were hoping that the ship would pack a safe lunch for her to take on our excursions.

Bring pre packaged items from home.

I've taken everything but the kitchen sink off the ship too. Now I feel stupid because I thought that the rule was that we couldn't bring anything like fresh fruit' date=' veggies, plants...[b']ON the ship[/b] :o

You can't take anything in the way of food items into a foreign port unless prepackaged as stated. You can't bring certain things back onboard with you either such as plants, fruit, flowers. On my 4/26 2 women were trying to take beautiful fresh flower arrangements back onboard in St. Thomas. They were told no, they argued, security was called, the flowers did not get on the ship.

I always bring some pre-packaged snacks from home, both for our flights, and for when we are out in port. But for some reason, a couple of the yummy chocolate chip cookies and an apple or two seem to find their way into my tote bag when we're getting ready to leave the ship for a day in port....:o Oops!

Karen

I always bring some pre-packaged snacks from home, both for our flights, and for when we are out in port. But for some reason, a couple of the yummy chocolate chip cookies and an apple or two seem to find their way into my tote bag when we're getting ready to leave the ship for a day in port....:o Oops!

Karen

It really isn't a case of just "oops". When you bring perishable items into a foreign country there is a real risk that you are also bringing microscopic (or larger) pests that have no natural enemies in that climate. So those pests attack agricultural interests and can cause enormous economic and long-term agricultural consequences.

It's serious. Please leave the apple/grapes/cheese/ whatever on the ship!

I remember reading a thread some months ago about a family unknowingly take fruit in a sack/backpack off the ship. Well they had to pay a hefty fine and it was not a good day in port for them.

A entire crop can be affected by people bringing fruits and veggies off ship if they are infected. Knowing that your are not to do it and going ahead anyway is kin to driving through a red light because you don't think it will be a problem. Opps sorry officer I didn't see that car. Opps sorry didn't mean to cause a fruit fly (or other kind of bug) infestation.

I don't understand the reasoning behind someone thinking that they are the exception to the the rules.

Janine looks like we were both posting are thoughts about the same time. :)

Just eat a good breakfeast in the morning and you should be fine for the rest of the day. You can alway come back to the ship at lunchtime and then go back to the port. Alot of time we will do an excursion where lunch is included. Great way to experience different food.

I do not see how something just happens to find its way into a tote bag. You must know that it is wrong and can be very dangerous. I remember reading a review awhile back where a mother did not know that her daughter put her uneaten apple into her purse and she was fined big time.

I see that all the "don't do it" responses concern taking items into a foreign port. Does the same apply to Alaska cruises?

Yes it applies to Alaska. The US has some of the most strict agricultural rules.

Yes it applies to Alaska. The US has some of the most strict agricultural rules.

Out of curiosity I've been looking for a list of foods that can't be brought into Alaska. I found mention of monkey meat from Asia but that's about it. Otherwise, I found that the Alaska State Ferry System suggests that one can bring their own food on board.

If the RCCL says food can't be carried off the ship, I accept that and if there's a governmental policy against it I'd be interested in getting more information on it as I hope to someday RV to Alaska.

I clearly remember being told about brining things onto the ship, but in four cruises, I don't ever remember being told not to take things off. I've been to six ports of call (Key West, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Costa Maya, Belize, and Roatan) and I never recall having our bags checked when leaving the ship. At every port, I remember having them checked when we returned to the ship. If we really shouldn't do it, I will gladly comply: I'm just saying that I don't think I have ever been told not to.

Archived