Advice for solo "older" woman traveling from Barcelona Airport to Hotel

I am a 64 year old woman cruising solo. With safety in mind, what is the best way to travel from the airport to my hotel (Jazz)?

I've planned on taking a taxi. Is it easy or difficult to get a taxi at Barcelona Airport?

Is there security outside the terminal in the taxi area?

Should I keep my carryon bag in my possession or let the taxi driver load it into trunk with large luggage?

Other suggestions? Would it be better to hire a car in advance? Perhaps too expensive and unnecessary?

I guess the same questions would apply concerning getting from the hotel to cruise terminal.

Thanks!

C.

Chelly, as someone who frequently travels alone, I wouldn't hesitate at all to take a taxi from the airport. They're plentiful and fairly inexpensive and quick. No need to spend money here for a private car.

That said, I never hand off my carry on, at least not the one containing my cash, passport and other valuables. If I have a private driver, and it's a long drive, then maybe, but no need to in a taxi. Always keep your hand on your most valuable possessions - this is good practice any time you travel, even in the US. I hear so many stories about people forgetting bags at the curb - not only do you want to keep hold of your cabin bag, you want to watch the driver (cab or private) load each and every one of your bags... and unload them at the other side either giving to a bellman or porter. When traveling alone, you do have a bit more work to do to keep track of things, especially luggage, so just be conscious, and don't be afraid of saying to someone, like a bellman, "just a moment, want to be sure my bags are all here" so you don't get distracted and have something forgotten.

Same thing from the hotel to the ship. Just ask the hotel to call or hail you a taxi, count your bags on the way in and out of the car and over to the porter.

You'll be just fine. Enjoy the beautiful city!

I completely agree with Burbunny. I have done just as you say in Barcelona: gotten a taxi at the airport to my hotel, as a woman traveler on my own. No problems. I also agree that it's best to keep your carry-on with valuables with you. Usually that is one thing I do not let go of until I can drop it in my room.

I just had detailed response washed out. I only say here to make some Google maps to give to taxi. Two each so one can be kept. Mark hotel.

Taxis at airport fine, generally. Most drivers don't speak much English. Taxis outside terminal by cafeteria. ATM close.

Show map at taxi entry. Ask OK? On our last trip taxi caused problems. Said could not get closer to hotel. We sat in taxi and said we were not leaving. We showed alternate route. He took us there.

Sorry for summery.

Bob :cool:

Bob's advice has proven worthwhile for us ... having the name and address of your hotel, the pier or whatever destination you are going to is is a much easier way to convey the information if your driver doesn't speak English, or understand your pronunciation of your destination. I also take google maps as a back up.

When going to the pier, have the names of the pier and of your ship written down for the driver.

Cabs are safe, easy, and plentiful. From the airport to your hotel should be no more than 30 euro. There is no need to book a private car ahead of time.

I agree with the advice to have an address of the hotel, but I would like to take it one step further and have the phone number as well. The cab driver can call and ask for directions if needed from his cell phone. But as in all big cities, cab drivers are usually very familiar with all the hotels and tourist hot spots. It is unlikely you'll need the address or phone number, but better safe than sorry.

Keep your purse with money and passport with you, but all other luggage can be stored in the trunk for a more comfortable ride.

I also suggest getting money out of your wallet while you are in the cab so that you are not fishing for money to pay him at the hotel. Again, this is unlikely, but it is possible that there are pickpockets ready to reach into your purse while it is unzipped.

We did not have problems with safety or pickpockets during our stay in Barcelona. It is a lovely city and you will enjoy your stay!

I concur with everything above but would urge you to keep your carryon in the cab with you and your handbag/purse across your body. Most problems come from eastern europeans who are expert thieves.

I write this from Barcelona. We took a taxi from the airport to Las Ramblas at the top near Playa Catalyna (sp?) for $27. The driver spoke very little English, and we showed him papers and finally pointed to maps. The taxis do have GPS, but he did not key it in. He asked three other drivers and they all shook their heads and didn't know how to get there. Everything was fine, but we are staying at a very small hotel so he may not get many fares to this one (Hotel Continental). So make sure you have the exact address in writing to show the driver. There are plenty of taxis so you should find one easily. Our hotel recommended a reservation tomorrow to the ship, so we made one. Right now, Barcelona is playing in the Europe cup championship and this city is ALIVE. We just hope we can get to the pier tomorrow. :D BTW, Barca is leading 1-0 right now!:D:D

So make sure you have the exact address in writing to show the driver.

That's what I meant to say in my post above, but missed the "in writing" part::o

"....having the name and address of your hotel, the pier or whatever destination you are going to in writing is is a much easier way to convey the information if your driver doesn't speak English, or understand your pronunciation of your destination. "

I am also 64 and took the bus from the airport and believe it or not I felt much safer. I am not a confident traveller but it was so easy and no hanging around and best of all other people around me. Come out of the airport turn right and there the buses are. I also stayed at the Jazz. It was less than five euro for the bus. On leaving the ship took taxi to the hotel and they radio to other drivers for hotel. I am sure the taxis from the ship are very familar with the Hotel Continental but he seemed to make an issue of it but did arrive ok.

OP here. Thank you all for responding to my concerns. Every suggestion has been helpful and I've saved your posts in my Barcelona file. I love the idea of showing a Google map to the driver if necessary. And, Bon Dia for sure!

I love CC and appreciate the help I've received here. Thanks for giving me the the confidence to try new adventures.

C.

Archived