Noordam or Oosterdam have MOVIE THEATER?

Rick-cruiser

We are considering a sailing on either the Noordam or Oosterdam, and we were wondering if anybody could tell us if either of these ships have a dedicated movie theater?

Also, do either of these have a separate men and women's sauna in the locker rooms?

If not, could you tell me which HAL ships do have a movie theater and/or separate saunas?

I appreciate any information you can give.... Thanks!

- Rick

On the Noordam in February. Movies were shown in a small conference room with just regular chairs lined up. Water and small bags of popcorn were provided. But after one 2 hour movie of sitting in those chairs and having to look around heads in front of me to see the screen (regular home movie size screen), I didn't go back for any other movies. The same movies were played on the tv as well during the 10 days.

We are considering a sailing on either the Noordam or Oosterdam, and we were wondering if anybody could tell us if either of these ships have a dedicated movie theater?

Also, do either of these have a separate men and women's sauna in the locker rooms?

If not, could you tell me which HAL ships do have a movie theater and/or separate saunas?

I appreciate any information you can give.... Thanks!

- Rick

I thought they were installing a Screening Room on the Oosterdam during its recent dry dock but the ships plan on the website shows it as shops. If there is no screening room then they use the Queens Lounge on Deck 2 to show movies. However I have seen them screen movies in the Card/Meeting Room if the Queens Lounge was occupied.

Concerning a Sauna on the Vista Class there is no sauna in the locker rooms as they have the thermal suite (at an extra charge). There is a small (think home sauna size) public sauna on Deck 9 opposite the Hydropool. I am not sure about the other ships but I think some lost their saunas when the spas were upgraded.

Yes the Oosterdam does have the NEW Screening Room for movies as well as they may also show them in the Queen's Lounge. I do not beleive that the Noordam has the Screening Room but they do show the movies in the Queens Lounge.

Like the Eurodam, the Oosterdam and Zuiderdam screening rooms are quite small ... 30 people or little more. If it's a popular movie you have to go an hour ahead to get a seat!

Maybe that's why they're called screening rooms instead of theaters?

We were very lucky on the Eurodam and never had a problem getting a good seat in the Screening Room even just 5 minutes before the movie was to start but then Tom says it was because we went to see Mama Mia and Beverly Hills Chihuahua :D

If not, could you tell me which HAL ships do have a movie theater ...?

The Prinsendam, and all the S- and R-class ships have a decent movie theatre. The Wajang theatre seating is comfortable, with the screen up on a stage. Sightlines are much better than on the E-dam and Vistas.

I was on the Oosterdam in February and they didn't show movies at all in the Queen's Lounge...it's mostly been turned into a cuilinary arts center. But two years before that, I was on and they DID show movies...maybe it was just a temporary thing?

Thank you all so much for your responses. A separate, dedicated movie theater is one of the special features we happen to enjoy very much on a ship, and so that is why I was inquiring.

For the two ships I was inquiring about, I did not see any designated movie theater or "screening room" within the deck plans. But, from what some of you have said, the Oosterdam has added a new screening room, and the S- and R- Class ships (and Prinsendam) have actual theaters (Wajang).

I would think a movie theater might be a welcomed feature for many other guests as well.... and so I thank you all for your information! :)

- Rick

We were on the Noordam this past Jan/Feb and the Queen's Lounge was used for movies on Day 1, Day 2, Day 4, Day 6, & Day 9. The Vista Lounge was used for the movie on Day 5. The other days, the movie was in the Hudson Room. We always went a little early and grabbed a bag of popcorn as we entered the Queen's Lounge.

Here's the daily programs from our Noordam cruise. After clicking on the one you want to look at, click the "full size" icon on the top right and the program will enlarge quite a bit more.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/570032272OZoWZP

Here's the rest of our pictures from our cruise.

http://community.webshots.com/user/twinkletoes4343

And here's the link to a thread I did that has menus, prices of items, movies ... all sorts of things that we came across on our Noordam cruise. :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=19221093&posted=1#post19221093

We were on the Noordam this past Jan/Feb and the Queen's Lounge was used for movies on Day 1, Day 2, Day 4, Day 6, & Day 9. The Vista Lounge was used for the movie on Day 5. The other days, the movie was in the Hudson Room. We always went a little early and grabbed a bag of popcorn as we entered the Queen's Lounge.

Here's the daily programs from our Noordam cruise. After clicking on the one you want to look at, click the "full size" icon on the top right and the program will enlarge quite a bit more.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/570032272OZoWZP

Here's the rest of our pictures from our cruise.

http://community.webshots.com/user/twinkletoes4343

And here's the link to a thread I did that has menus, prices of items, movies ... all sorts of things that we came across on our Noordam cruise. :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=19221093&posted=1#post19221093

WOW.... these are great, twinkletoes!! What more can we ask but the actual Daily Programs, complete, from a 10-day sailing that shows us exactly what to expect in terms of activities, movies, entertainment, etc.

I thank you very much for sharing them with us. And it shows me that, even on the Noordam, there are first-run movies being shown, every day... whether it be in the Queen's Lounge, Vista Lounge, or Hudson Room.

The best theaters for us are the ones which have actual, plush movie-chair seats... and on a downward slope towards the screen so that peoples' heads are not in the way... I wish ALL ships, on every cruise line, had a dedicated movie theater!!

Thanks again, twinkletoes, for taking the time to scan and post these programs / pictures / menus for everyone else's benefit. It says a lot about the kind of person you are. :)

- Rick

WOW.... these are great, twinkletoes!! What more can we ask but the actual Daily Programs, complete, from a 10-day sailing that shows us exactly what to expect in terms of activities, movies, entertainment, etc.

I thank you very much for sharing them with us. And it shows me that, even on the Noordam, there are first-run movies being shown, every day... whether it be in the Queen's Lounge, Vista Lounge, or Hudson Room.

The best theaters for us are the ones which have actual, plush movie-chair seats... and on a downward slope towards the screen so that peoples' heads are not in the way... I wish ALL ships, on every cruise line, had a dedicated movie theater!!

Thanks again, twinkletoes, for taking the time to scan and post these programs / pictures / menus for everyone else's benefit. It says a lot about the kind of person you are. :)

- Rick

Thank you! I appreciate the kind words. :)

I agree, it would be nice to have a "real" theater on the ship. We always managed to get one of the big circle booths so we were up a little bit from those sitting in the front in the chairs.

We had a wonderful time on our cruise. I love all the details, so I thought I'd share as much as possible with the others here at CC. Enjoy your cruise. :)

Archived