Trouble with NCL

What do you call it when a business advertises a price and then charges you a higher price when you get to the register? Wouldn't you complain and expect them to give you the advertised price? Most businesses would, not NCL.

Almost every week when I go into the supermarket, I see a sign or two on the shelves that say something like "Sorry, but the price of $.29 per pound for tomatoes in this week's advertising circular was in error and the correct price is $1.29 per pound."

There is a fundamental difference between an innocent error and intentionally deceptive false advertising.

Thank you OfcSupport, at least I'm not the only one whose noticed something wrong and willing to say something.

We also noticed a $30. price discrepancy with the NCL web site. Now in our case we discovered what the problem was. DH had inputted his Latitude number but not mine. When he went back and added my Lattitude number to the reservation as well, the price was as advertised.

We also noticed a $30. price discrepancy with the NCL web site. Now in our case we discovered what the problem was. DH had inputted his Latitude number but not mine. When he went back and added my Lattitude number to the reservation as well, the price was as advertised.

You mean the discrepancy wasn't due to false advertising? :eek: :D

Almost every week when I go into the supermarket, I see a sign or two on the shelves that say something like "Sorry, but the price of $.29 per pound for tomatoes in this week's advertising circular was in error and the correct price is $1.29 per pound."

There is a fundamental difference between an innocent error and intentionally deceptive false advertising.

Yeah, but at least the grocery store fixes the problem.

You will get lower pricing if you use any applicable categories for saving' date=' ie Latitudes, FL resident, over 55. The difference in my cruise was $180 per balcony stateroom.

It is also possible that the rate went up slightly, since you are closer to cruise time.[/quote']

This brings me to another question. Sorry to go off topic for a minute.... When they ask what state you from, who gets a better deal? I know I don't! Is it just Florida and why?

Yeah, but at least the grocery store fixes the problem.

Really? :confused: I don't remember anyone going door to door and replacing all the circulars with the incorrect pricing.

Really? :confused: I don't remember anyone going door to door and replacing all the circulars with the incorrect pricing.

You're right - that is definitely justification for NCL not fixing the website "problem".

This brings me to another question. Sorry to go off topic for a minute.... When they ask what state you from, who gets a better deal? I know I don't! Is it just Florida and why?

I'm jsur going to start a thread on this.......I've always been curious..........

You're right - that is definitely justification for NCL not fixing the website "problem".

I didn't justify anything. I just found your comment about the grocery store very puzzling. I am the first to admit the NCL site can be problematic. Probably why I never book that way.

If the problem is (NCL) systemwide, and they (NCL) know about it, then they need to fix it and address it with the people affected by it.

If there is a problem and they know of the problem and don't fix it THEN they would be guilty of deceptive practices . . . perhaps false advertising, perhaps the old "bait and switch" routine.

I don't believe either apply at this point in time.

I tried to book a Bermuda cruise online with NCL's website. When I got to the payment page I noticed it bumped my payment up $30.00 for each person. I went back and looked at the cabin cat. to check the price and it was $30.00 lower. Tried to book again and again when it got to the payment it jumped up $30.00pp. What's the deal, is NCL dealing in false advertising?

You may be seeing a cached page on your computer that you had looked at previously, then when you try to book it refreshes to the current price.

I get that a lot when I am doing a lot of searches for airfares. I sometimes have to clear the cookies off my computer and refresh the initial page to get the updated information.

Well, I have not considered this. But when I called NCL they knew we were members and could not explain the difference between the website price (lower price) and the price on their computers (higher price). I feel there shouldn't be a difference. Website should be higher and then NCL could give a discount when the price calculates if they wanted too, not the other way around--that is why I insist this is false advertising.

I tried to book a Bermuda cruise online with NCL's website. When I got to the payment page I noticed it bumped my payment up $30.00 for each person. I went back and looked at the cabin cat. to check the price and it was $30.00 lower. Tried to book again and again when it got to the payment it jumped up $30.00pp. What's the deal, is NCL dealing in false advertising?

Never had that happen on NCL's site, but just try to buy an airline ticket. those prices bounce up and down like rubber balls. I had my recent Delta tickets bounce from $600 to $675 in the time it took me to click on "Purchase this seat."

There's a lot of factors feeding those prices, and I think it's all being done automatically based on time to departure/cruise, available inventory, currency exchange, the direction the wind is blowing in Shangri-la and the position of the sun, moon and stars.

I seriously doubt that it's false advertising. NCL is too big a company and that's too blatent and they're not going to get in a fight with the FTC for $30.

I has seemed to me that NCL's site is not as well behaved as some other e-commerce sites, but that may just be my perception.

If you looked at the lower category cabin first and then looked at the higher category it would still show the lower price because of the cookies, which explains why NCL's computer wasn't showing that price.

I just tried to book a random Cat K to Bermuda. I picked August 2nd, from Baltimore.

Price was $749 pp.

The running total was showing as 1716 incl taxes

When I entered our ages, the running total dropped to $1608 incl. taxes.

It stayed at that amount throughout the booking. When i clicked on the running total, to see the breakdown, it showed the base cabin rate as $699 pp....so somehow the system calculated a $50pp discount.

the $1608 showed right up to the payment page. I didn't make a final payment...'cause I ain't going..... but you CAN click on the total payment amount, at any stage & it gives a pop-up screen which breaks-down the payment basis.

lambs2 is correct. I put both of our latitudes numbers in and the price stayed at the lower price. That having been said, I still think NCL needs to revamp their website. Why would it kick both of our fares up when it had one latitudes number. And I still think they should publish the higher fare and mention that there maybe certain discounts for Latitudes Members, age, military,etc. There would be less confusion, but I'm sure this won't happen due to cruiselines needing to publish the lowest possible fare.

lambs2 is correct. I put both of our latitudes numbers in and the price stayed at the lower price. That having been said, I still think NCL needs to revamp their website. Why would it kick both of our fares up when it had one latitudes number. And I still think they should publish the higher fare and mention that there maybe certain discounts for Latitudes Members, age, military,etc. There would be less confusion, but I'm sure this won't happen due to cruiselines needing to publish the lowest possible fare.

That's refreshing. We've gone from False Advertising, to I made a mistake, but it's their fault.

*sigh*

Most of us aren't confused by their website.

That's refreshing. We've gone from False Advertising, to I made a mistake, but it's their fault.

*sigh*

Most of us aren't confused by their website.

Atleast I admitted that there was a reason for what happened. BUT NCL's people couldn't figure it out when I called them and other people have had the same thing happen, obviously their website isn't clear to all, sorry I guess we aren't as superior as techies like yourselves.

Atleast I admitted that there was a reason for what happened. BUT NCL's people couldn't figure it out when I called them and other people have had the same thing happen, obviously their website isn't clear to all, sorry I guess we aren't as superior as techies like yourselves.

Don't let it get you down - the attitude, I mean. That's what the boards are here for - to hash these things out. I appreciate you coming back and explaining what happened. That's how we all learn - at least that's how we inferior beings learn :rolleyes:.

Archived