Nile cruises

seapenarth

We sailed with Uniworld--7 nites on the Nile with time in Cairo on each end of trip. They now have their own boat on the Nile which will start in the fall of this year. Be sure to factor in a trip to Abu Simbel with your trip budget--an unforgettable experience. Pat

I'm in agreement with Pacmom--the experience with Uniworld was great on the Nile! Just a word about the ships. If you choose "Splendors of the Nile," you will have a 7-day cruise on the new ship The Tosca. If you choose to include Lake Nasser, you will have 3 days on the new ship, but your time on Lake Nasser will be on one of the older ships.

I enjoyed the experience on the older ship--the rooms were large and comfortable, and the food was quite good but different from what you might expect on a European cruise.

There is a third choice that Uniworld offers which includes a visit to Alexandria and 4 nights (I think) on the new ship on the Nile. We enjoyed the extra time on the Nile--just cruising along the river and enjoying the wonderful views--the Nile itself is absolutely gorgeous--deep blue in color!

I would agree that you should opt to include the flight and visit to Abu Simbel--it's wonderful and very impressive.

The best thing about our cruise with Uniworld was the extremely knowledgeable and charismatic Egyptologist who was our guide!

Whatever line you choose, you're in store for an unforgettable experience in Egypt.

we chose Vantage because it included both Nile and Lake Nasser cruises. On Lake Nasser we were on the Omar el Khayam, which is new and very comfortable. On the Nile we were on the Crown Jubilee, which is older but very comfortable. Only complaint on Jubilee is lack of bathroom amenities. they give you a blow dryer but no shampoo, conditioner, etc. If you go, and I do recommend you do both cruises otherwise you pay quite a bit extra for Abu Simbel which is SO very worth it, grab a few extra shampoos from the Khayam or one of the hotels! Egypt was absolutely wonderful....Jordan was even better.

• 1 month later...

Hi. We are booked on the Jewels of Egypt, the Nile, and Lake Nasser cruise in October and are hugely excited. It appears that complimentary beverages are not included in the meals on the Uniworld cruises that are in Egypt. Can anyone fill me in on this?

We just booked the UniWorld "Splendors of Nile" for Feb '10 on the brand new ship "River Tosca". They have a pretty good deal going on right now with good savings if you book before july 31st. They also include the normally optional tour of Abu Simbel. I thought I read that beer and wine are complimentary at dinner but I will now investigate.

49er

Alcoholic drinks are not complimentary on the cruises in Egypt, because of the religious aspect of the country.

They are available for purchase though.

To Seapenarth........ I agree with the posters that recommended Uniworld.

They will have the lovely new River Tosca launching in Sept.

If you book and pay in full prior to the end of July, you will save $300. pp.

They have their dates up until the end of April 2010 out now.

You would still have the option of cancelling and recouping all but your $200. deposit.

Any other questions on Uniworld and you can email me at tiggypooo@yahoo.ca

Any recommendations for Nile cruise ships ?

Booked with SmarTours (http://www.smarTours.com). It was a river cruise plus land tour. SmarTours used Gate1 as the provider. Participants on the tour totaled 8 plus a fabulous Eygptologist guide. Having so few participants is not a given; we got lucky. It was one of the best organized tours I've been on and a good travel value. Our guide did everything possible to customize our tour to meet individual requests. Naturally on the river ship there were additional passengers; they were not part of our tour. All our shore activities were with our personal guide in a very large and comfortable a/c van. The river ship was very nice....large cabin with full length sliding glass door, narrow balcony only for standing; large bath; nicely furnished; large observation deck with pool. The food selection on the cruise segment could have been better.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We are booked with OAT for next Sept-Oct. We have traveled with Grand Circle and OAT (same parent company) for the past 10 years and have always been very happy with their tours. OAT has small groups of 10 to 16 in a group and own their own ship for the Nile (2 groups on the ship at one time). A number of our travelmates on other OAT tours have raved about this one so we are looking forward to it. In 2010 the OAT tour includes Abu Simbel in the itinerary. Will be happy to hear any hints from others.

It was one of my favorite cruises, so far.And I ve been on 10 or so.One thing to check ahead of time, get your visa yourself.Just check government website.We didnt, cruiseline said they d take care of it,,got there and had to wait,a mess .Also, remember to dress modestly onshore, wear long pants,shirts,scarf,etc. in main cities so you dont stand out.Check CDC website for health precautions,I took antibiiotic before and didnt get sick from food,water problems.Also, do visit Cairo museum, can see King Tut items with no wait if you go by yourself at off hours, early or late. Try not to stand out as American,per se. After that, just have a great time, its the trip you ll ALWAYS remember.;)

Nile cruises are magical. You step back to a time when man did remarkable things with very little. Our Nile trip was wonderful. Would recommend you don't drink the wine onboard. They only serve Egyptian wine. On the other hand, Egyptian beer is very good. I would recommend the book The River God by Wilbur Smith. It explains life in the times of the pharohs so well. Pat

We are booked with OAT for next Sept-Oct. We have traveled with Grand Circle and OAT (same parent company) for the past 10 years and have always been very happy with their tours. OAT has small groups of 10 to 16 in a group and own their own ship for the Nile (2 groups on the ship at one time). A number of our travelmates on other OAT tours have raved about this one so we are looking forward to it. In 2010 the OAT tour includes Abu Simbel in the itinerary. Will be happy to hear any hints from others.

I too am a fan of GC & OAT, but did the Nile cruise with another company (our tour group totaled only 8 plus the Egyptologist guide). There were several other larger tour groups (other countries, other companies) on the 90 passenger ship, but we always had our own guide, large van & driver, and independant tours/activities, etc. You'll have a wonderful travel experience. We obtained and paid for our Visa at the airport. Our guide basically did it for us; there was no hassel, delay, or problem.

Do dress conservatively (no shorts off the cruise ship) and stay in tourist areas. If you are going in winter, take a warm light weight jacket for cool nights and mornings.

Do not go off totally by yourself; always be in pairs or more. Women do not go off alone in their society....understand their customs/manners and respect them.

Always have a pocket with change....everyone expects a small tip for simple helpful gestures and for pictures taken. Take toilet paper, tissues, and wet wipes with you each day off the ship.

Ask before taking a picture of a person or their property. Many sites require a fee/ticket for using a camera. At other sites, picture taking was not permitted.

Be extremely careful with food; stay away from water, ice, juice, street food vendors, and raw fruit & raw veggies. We found bottled water was being sold with the cap tabs broken (empty bottles had been refilled) so beware. I drank hot tea all day and brushed my teeth with water that had been boiled. I washed my tooth brush with the boiled water or alchol. I brought along a supply of Cipro just in case and so did most other Americans.

Seeing some of the sites at night (just enjoy from a distance or walk by) is a great experience, but I do not recommend any of the evening light shows...if you must, do just one. The other optional tours were worth doing. See and do as much as possible. Cairo Museum is a must; hopefully OAT will include a guided tour there. Seeing the tomb of Nefroteri was a hightlight (limited tickets per day/no advance purchases-arrive before 6:30 a.m. to purchase ticket for assigned time). Have lunch or afternoon tea at some of the exclusive and famous hotels (no jeans or sneakers). Wonderful gold jewlery, rugs, and craft items are every where.

Shopping is an experience. Be prepared to bargain, but merchants will expect you to finally buy....brousing to shopping is not their custom.

We flew r/t to Abu Simbel; it was worth the $$$ and effort. Lucky for you it is included in your tour. Enjoy!

Thanks for all the great tips. I just bought some "end-of-season" full skirts that should be cool and comfortable to take for this tour. Being a Floridian I'm used to wearing shorts almost year round so needed to get some more appropriate clothes for that culture and climate. Did you feel in danger at any of the ports? Any other hints will be greatly appreciated.

Hey, Im a Floridian too, so know what you mean about shorts..haha.Can wear them on boat. Just try to fit in offshore with appropriate clothes.Didnt feel in danger at all, ex.trying to cross streets in Cairo.Just run for your life, they don t stop for you.Then, always ask and tip to take photos,esp.in touristy areas.In one area we actually had a armed guard,think that was a little much.....doubt that will happen again,but you never know.They don t want any trouble with tourists,would wreck economy.It was one of my favorite trips,don t worry about it, you ll have a great time.Let me know if you have any questions, I m from Orlando.by the way.:D

In the aftermath of the tourist bombing in the 1990's, most cruise lines on the Nile have armed guards on the buses and on board. We even had a machine gun nest on the sun deck on our cruise 3 years ago. The Egyptian government is very concerned about the safety of the tourist. We are their largest souce of income. Don't be alarmed. Pat

Thanks for all the great tips. I just bought some "end-of-season" full skirts that should be cool and comfortable to take for this tour. Being a Floridian I'm used to wearing shorts almost year round so needed to get some more appropriate clothes for that culture and climate. Did you feel in danger at any of the ports? Any other hints will be greatly appreciated.

Don't focus on danger, but be smart and use good judgment. There are guards everywhere. They do respond with lighting speed. If you read my earlier post, and follow those suggestions, you will have a wonderful, memorable experience.

We are just back from 2 weeks in Egypt which included 7 days on the Nile. There is lots of security at the Ramses Hilton, the Cairo Museum, on the boat and at the various temples and tombs; evident but not oppressive. We did not have a guard on any of our bus trips which included a full day to Alexandria.

We wore long pants and slacks in Cairo and shorts while on the Nile and visiting the sites. We drank bottled water which was also used for brushing teeth, no signs of Pharaoh’s Revenge. Recommend that you obtain Egyptian 1 Pound coins ( worth about 18 cents US) as soon as you arrive in Cairo. They are ideal for paying backsheesh at bathroom breaks.

The trip to Abu Simbel was the highlight of journey. We arrived just as the sun was rising, an awesome sight.

Let me know if can answer any other questions.

Don

We are just back from 2 weeks in Egypt which included 7 days on the Nile. There is lots of security at the Ramses Hilton, the Cairo Museum, on the boat and at the various temples and tombs; evident but not oppressive. We did not have a guard on any of our bus trips which included a full day to Alexandria.

We wore long pants and slacks in Cairo and shorts while on the Nile and visiting the sites. We drank bottled water which was also used for brushing teeth, no signs of Pharaoh’s Revenge. Recommend that you obtain Egyptian 1 Pound coins ( worth about 18 cents US) as soon as you arrive in Cairo. They are ideal for paying backsheesh at bathroom breaks.

The trip to Abu Simbel was the highlight of journey. We arrived just as the sun was rising, an awesome sight.

Let me know if can answer any other questions.

Don

We have today got some quotes for a Nile Cruise in February on Viking Princess from Luxor and we plan to extend the tour by going on to Cairo for three days before flying back to Heathrow. One of the hotels on offer in Cairo is the Hilton Ramses - could you give an honest opinion of the hotel and is it advisable to upgrade to a DeLuxe room in order to guarantee a Nile view as oppossed to a city view. From blogs on various websites reviews say a nile view room would be best. Any other information you can give would be most helpful. Did you book tours in Cairo through the hotel desk or were they included in your tour package? Cairo tours would be optional extras but the cruise includes all excursions with Abul Simbel an optional extra - by land £60 or flying for £140 - have not decided which to take but think we might like the experience of the drive through the desert - any views on this?

Look foward to your feedback.

Suron

If you must have a view of the Nile, I would suggest you upgrade. We had a corner room with two views of the Nile. I would rate the hotel as a 4-star with attentive staff and excellent security.

Our tours in Cairo to Giza, Sakkara, the Sound Light Show, and the Museum plus the trip to Alexandria were included in our tour package. There is a travel agent in the hotel who can arrange the various tours.

Our trip to Abu Simbel was an optional extra from Aswan with the air fare of $235USD per person. I would recommend the early morning flight to enjoy the sunrise and to be there before the hordes arrive by bus. From our view from the aircraft, there wasn’t much to see between Aswan and Abu Simbel.

Both my wife and I carried a small package of Kleenex since the bathroom attendants were very stingy with the toilet tissue.

Don

Hi pacmom,

Just back from a Tauck Egypt/Jordan tour with three days on the Nile and it was fabulous. I guess the wine that was flowing like water at dinner was better Egyptian wine than what you were served on your ship. We were on an A&K ship the Nile Adventurer and the service and accommodations were top notch. Before leaving on a trip to Egypt and Jordan, I suggest one should fold the last part of a toilet paper roll in half before it is all used and put several in a ziplock bag for travel purposes. I had about five with me and was able to share with my friends. We also had protection supplied by the government at ALL times in Egypt and Jordan. With the hundreds of thousands of tourists, they can't afford to have ANY incidents. In Jordan, you were NOT allowed to take any photos of the security or police or risk a BIG problem.

Sheila

Sheila,

Welcome back!!!! Glad you enjoyed Egypt and that your wine was better than ours. We just made do with the wonderful Egyptian beer, darn. I always back a few 1/4 full toilet paper rolls--a group of women can descimate the supply at a rest stop or restaurant. We had a great trip on the Duoro, a bit noisey, tho. In Jan, we are off to Antartica with Silversea on the Prince Albert II. Safe travels and keep in touch.

Pat

Archived