Bringing own soda to WJ, Pool, MDR?

As we are Dr. Pepper and Diet Mt. Dew drinkers, we are planing to bring some soda with us on our next cruise in October. Would it be frowned upon to take our own to the WJ and MDR for meals and to the pool during the day?

As we are Dr. Pepper and Diet Mt. Dew drinkers, we are planing to bring some soda with us on our next cruise in October. Would it be frowned upon to take our own to the WJ and MDR for meals and to the pool during the day?

The great thing about cruises is that you are rarely told "no".

No one will give you a second look if you do.

Personally, I'm totally comfortable bringing our own soda to the pool and the Jammer... I'm not comfortable bringing it to the MDR; although as the PP mentioned, I'd be surprised if anyone said anything to you about it.

Hi,

I would just pour it into a plastic glass ( taken from the windjammer ) so nobody knows what you are drinking if you feel funny about it.

We were given 3 bottles of wine from our TA. We just took a glass of wine with us each night to the MDR to have it with our dinner. We weren't about to pay the corking fee.

Happy Sailings.

Joyce & Of Course Harvey

When we were on the Mariner we brought our own cans/bottles of Pepsi to the MDR and Windjammer. The waiters brought out glasses of ice for us to drink from, without asking. Nice extra tips went around that cruise. The service that whole cruise was exceptional. Looking forward to our Serenade B2B in June 2010. I'm sure the service will be just as good.

I can't handle the caffeine in the soda. I have always brought a cooler to the pool with the soda on ice. Have not brought it in the dining room though.

Never had a problem and until there is diet caffeine free options, I will continue to bring my own.:)

I ALWAYS bring my own "soda"/pop...onboard because I like Pepsi or Diet Dr. Pepper...I just take a few onboard with me and I take them to the WJ or wherever I am (not the DR usually because I need the caffeine before then..lol..) The funny thing I like is when I hear people say, where did she get the Dt. Pepsi/Diet Dr. Pepper?

Last June we were on a RCI cruise and took a case of Dr. Pepper. Sorry Coke and Pepsi fans. Dr. Pepper is Da %**#!.

The first 2 nights at dinner we kept asking for Dr. Pepper. Our waitstaff kept telling us that that had Coke. Even though we knew that we kept ordering Dr. Pepper. The second night our waiter asked. Is Dr. Pepper that much different/better than Coke? I asked him if he'd ever tasted a Dr. Pepper? Too my surprise he said he had never tasted on in his entire life. So knowing we had Dr. Pepper in our room I didn't order a drink (other than water) and took a 3 minute hike back to the room for a couple of cans of Dr. Pepper. I handed him one under the table and told him to try it. He slipped it into his vest pocket and came back with a glass of ice for my Dr. Pepper.

The next day at dinner he gave me a 2 thumbs up and said that Dr. Pepper was better than Coke and Pepsi. I kinda felt bad after that. Not that I gave him a Dr. Pepper but it is something he might not have another chance or can obtain easily again in his life.

Oh well, Dr. Pepper is AWESOME!!!

Who cares. Take it if it is important enough for you.

Hi,

I would just pour it into a plastic glass ( taken from the windjammer ) so nobody knows what you are drinking if you feel funny about it.

We were given 3 bottles of wine from our TA. We just took a glass of wine with us each night to the MDR to have it with our dinner. We weren't about to pay the corking fee.

Happy Sailings.

Joyce & Of Course Harvey

Most times on other lines they would not charge corkage fee if the wine was theirs from the TA

Hi,

Happy Sailings.

Joyce & Of Course Harvey

We were not charged a corkage fee on the Mariner. We told the waitstaff the wine was a gift sent to our cabin from the TA (the truth) and there was therefore no fee. I had my own corkscrew if they would have said there was a charge. Any moron can open a bottle. :D

Stuff you bring onboard is for in cabin consumption. People tend to use the argument that hotels don't restrict you from bringing drinks onboard, but on the other hand, you wouldn't bring a can of Coke to dinner at a hotel restaurant.

I am sure that people will disagree with me, but I think it's incredibly tacky to bring your own drinks to dinner at the MDR.

...... I think it's incredibly tacky to bring your own drinks to dinner at the MDR.

You are allowed to bring your own wine to MDR.

They don't serve Dr Pepper or Mountain Dew in MDR.

OP - please do not worry on account of likes of SusieV thinking that it is tacky. I think it is perfectly ok to do so. Just do not pour it into SusieV's glass :D

I am sure that people will disagree with me, but I think it's incredibly tacky to bring your own drinks to dinner at the MDR.

I agree with you completely!

Take it with you to the pool, even the windjammer, but not the dining room! Just my opinion.

Stuff you bring onboard is for in cabin consumption. People tend to use the argument that hotels don't restrict you from bringing drinks onboard, but on the other hand, you wouldn't bring a can of Coke to dinner at a hotel restaurant.

I agree Susie! Carrying a glass is fine but taking a cooler or the original cans in public areas not so much...

We frequent a restaurant that only serves Pepsi which I cannot stand. I don't bring my Coke products.

###

Somehow I find it tacky to bring your own soda to a restaurant but not to the MDR. Maybe it's because bringing it to a restaurant will surely stop you from buying a soda in a restaurant, whereas in the MDR, you're 1) on vacation and cruise staff REALLY rarely care what you do, and 2) if they clearly don't have the one soda you drink, you'll probably go for the "free" tea or water.

Life is just SO much more carefree and relaxed on a cruise. It's amazing the little things I've done on cruises right in front of the crew and no one cared. So laid back. Enjoy your soda!!

Editing now because I just thought of something else. If you're in a lounge and order a drink (alcoholic or soda) and don't finish it and realize it's 8:30 and you have to get to the MDR, I see NOTHING wrong with taking that drink with you. That's the other difference about crusing vs. walking into a restaurant. People walk around with drinks all the time.

If you're concerned that others will find you tacky, go into a lounge/bar and ask them to pour your canned soda into a glass, which they'll certainly do for you. I'd definitely do that rather than walk into the MDR with a can of soda.

If you're concerned that others will find you tacky, go into a lounge/bar and ask them to pour your canned soda into a glass, which they'll certainly do for you. I'd definitely do that rather than walk into the MDR with a can of soda.

I like the way you think Amy Beth!

You can even bring some wine glasses to your room from a bar and then just pour your sodas into those every night. IIRC the room attendant will wash/replace those glasses every day for you.

Love CC. After a few arguments, we all seem to be reaching a decent middle ground here.

I like the way you think Amy Beth!

You can even bring some wine glasses to your room from a bar and then just pour your sodas into those every night. IIRC the room attendant will wash/replace those glasses every day for you.

Love CC. After a few arguments, we all seem to be reaching a decent middle ground here.

It does make perfect sense, doesn't it? If someone sat at my table with a glass of soda, I wouldn't think TWICE about where it came from. I'd COMPLETELY assume it came from another bar/lounge.

Anyone else have any pressing, dire issues they need me to settle? :)

I absolutely bring my own Coke into the MDR. I'm not about to pay $2.50 a can for something that I can easily carry from my cabin.] I don't feel that I'm stiffing the bar staff from tips, because if I don't bring my own pop, I would just stick with the "free" water.

Just because I'm on vacation doesn't mean that I have to completely waste money.

$2.50 x 2 people x 3 meals (yes, I tend to drink pop with breakfast, big whoop, wannafightaboutit?) x 7 days= a lot of money, especially considering that an entire 12 pack can be purchased on sale for about $3 total. We're certainly not poor or strapped for cash, but even I have limits. :)

I can't handle the caffeine in the soda. I have always brought a cooler to the pool with the soda on ice. Have not brought it in the dining room though.

Never had a problem and until there is diet caffeine free options, I will continue to bring my own.:)

They have Diet Sprite.

You are allowed to bring your own wine to MDR.

No, you are not, because you are not allowed to bring "your own wine" on board.

If you order it from Gifts & Gear before your cruise, you must specify whether you want it in the dining room or in your cabin.

If you order it for the dining room, of course they will serve it to you there.

If you order it for your cabin, you must pay a corkage fee if you bring it into the dining room.

I agree with you completely!

Take it with you to the pool, even the windjammer, but not the dining room! Just my opinion.

This subject reminds me of a story a waiter told me about--three people walked into his (land based) restaurant; one asked for water with lemon, the other two asked for a glasses of ice. He brought them, took their orders, and was amazed to see one person pull out a liter bottle of soda (a brand the restaurant didn't carry, but still) to pour into the glasses of ice. The other patron started dumping sugar packets into her lemon with water.

Amazing.

Archived