5% Alaskan Shore Excursion Discount Retroactive?

pseudochicken

Hello,

Cruisecritic just posted a news bulletin stating that Celebrity Cruise Lines and its parent company, Royal Caribbean International, will be giving 5% discounts on ALL Alaskan shore excursions booked before June 7th. My family, gf and I will be doing the southbound trip on the Millenium on June 19th, but we already booked our excursions months ago.

Do we get this discount? We booked the cruise through Southwest Airlines Travel Agency but our excursions were booked through Celebrity, online. Do we have to call Celebrity or something? Should we cancel our excursions then rebook them?

Thanks in advance! :cool:

I, too, already booked our shore excursions for our Millenium Alaska cruise and called Celebrity today speaking with their shore excursions desk. In order to get the discount, you need to cancel the shore excursions which would be re-credited to your charge card and rebook. You risk not getting your choices again and the possibility of having to wait for the credit. I decided not to rebook, but am not happy with Celebrity's policy.

I, too, already booked our shore excursions for our Millenium Alaska cruise and called Celebrity today speaking with their shore excursions desk. In order to get the discount, you need to cancel the shore excursions which would be re-credited to your charge card and rebook. You risk not getting your choices again and the possibility of having to wait for the credit. I decided not to rebook, but am not happy with Celebrity's policy.

Ditto for me but someone else posted that they called and the representative took care of it for them :confused: but I didn't have that same representative when I called and like you, didn't want to take the chance.

How do we know what is the original price of the excursion so we know if we got the discount?

If I log in and look at my reservation then go to shore excursions and find the one I booked, it has the full price then when I click "book now" it comes back with the discounted price.

Thanks, and my excursion is on sale. It's a difference of $10 total, so I probably won't do anything about it. We'll be there in a week, so no worries! :D

Yea, that was about like mine...I think $16 but I figured "hey, that's a martini!" but oh well, I understand why they are doing what they are doing, they are looking for more business and they already have us!

Cruising - that was *exactly* the same thought I had. That $10 is a down payment on a couple of chocolate martinis! Great minds drink alike. I have to imagine that there aren't a lot of other crazy people that are snorkeling in Alaska so there is little danger of not having enough space if I cancel and rebook, but I don't want to take the chance. As you said - they already have us.

We'll be ships passing in the night - we're on the Millie out of Seward in a week. Enjoy!

Cruising - that was *exactly* the same thought I had. That $10 is a down payment on a couple of chocolate martinis! Great minds drink alike. I have to imagine that there aren't a lot of other crazy people that are snorkeling in Alaska so there is little danger of not having enough space if I cancel and rebook, but I don't want to take the chance. As you said - they already have us.

We'll be ships passing in the night - we're on the Millie out of Seward in a week. Enjoy!

You too but I have a question, snorkeling? What?

We love to snorkel, so what the hell? :D We just couldn't pass up the chance. We'll be snorkeling in Ketchikan with the ship. We normally go on our own, but the tour is only offered through the ship and it's reasonably priced. The tour provides a 7 mm wetsuit for all so I guess we're good to go. Should be very cool and quite different marine life than the Caribbean.

I loked at that excursion but was put off by the designation of "strenuous'. I've snorkeled in the Caribbean and Hawaii and found it a fairly laid back activity so I wondered if this one involved strong currents or if it was just the temps that caused the strenuous rating.

I guess I wrongly assumed that "strenuous" was just for the general snorkeling activity. I don't think the current is so strong that it would be dangerous or difficult. We are, after all, tourists. :) It may also be just the water temps. The wetsuit helps with floating so I think it will be okay. DH and I aren't olympic athletes, though, so wish us luck! Which ship are you on?

I loked at that excursion but was put off by the designation of "strenuous'.

From what I've seen of their classifications, they're less generous than the general meaning. I've seen excursions classified "strenuous" that weren't, so I think it's based on a different standard to the population mean.

I think that is a bit unfair about how they won't do that for customers that already booked... I've already spent about $800 on excursions... Though, that'd only be $40. Whatever. I still cannot wait to go! Not too long!!!

Hi,:) maybe I am missing something, but can't you just cancel

and rebook them?

I haven't spent nearly as much as you but I booked an excursion

about a week ago. When I saw this offer, I just cancelled it and

about a day later re-booked it and saved myself a little $.

We love to snorkel, so what the hell? :D We just couldn't pass up the chance. We'll be snorkeling in Ketchikan with the ship. We normally go on our own, but the tour is only offered through the ship and it's reasonably priced. The tour provides a 7 mm wetsuit for all so I guess we're good to go. Should be very cool and quite different marine life than the Caribbean.

Awesome, wow. That's very cool, figuratively and literally! ;) I love to snorkel too and never considered it for this trip but you're right, very different things to see.

I loked at that excursion but was put off by the designation of "strenuous'. I've snorkeled in the Caribbean and Hawaii and found it a fairly laid back activity so I wondered if this one involved strong currents or if it was just the temps that caused the strenuous rating.

For me the strenuous part would be getting the wetsuit on :eek:

Hi,:) maybe I am missing something, but can't you just cancel

and rebook them?

I haven't spent nearly as much as you but I booked an excursion

about a week ago. When I saw this offer, I just cancelled it and

about a day later re-booked it and saved myself a little $.

Because you have to cancel first and take the chance that it won't be available when you rebook, maybe there's a waitlist or something but I am not willing to take the chance, especially so close to the trip for me :eek:

Because you have to cancel first and take the chance that it won't be available when you rebook, maybe there's a waitlist or something but I am not willing to take the chance, especially so close to the trip for me :eek:

Oh, ok...didn't realize you go in 5 days...sorry.:(

Yes, 5 days...woo hoo :D I would think that there are some trips that fill up FAR in advance, isn't that the case?

You mean excursions? I guess so....I was just thinking if you

(for example) cancelled and rebook right away the opening you left,

would be the one you fill....make sense?

Have a wonderful cruise:)

Yes but it isn't worth it for a few bucks, I don't think they waitlist but if they do and it's gone, I'll be :(

The whole giving up my spot to a waitlisted person is another reason why I didn't cancel and rebook. Again, snorkeling in Alaska may not be the most popular of of excursions, but you never know.

As far at the wetsuit goes, OHMYGOSH!! My DH and I have short wetsuits (shorts and short sleeves) for the spring snorkels in the Carribbean, and man, wetsuits don't hide a thing! After wearing one, I know what a sausage feels like! :eek: I suppose the good news is that I am not likely to see my fellow wetsuiters after this cruise. The pictures on the excursion provider's website are very cool. Crabs, starfish and urchins, oh my!

Unless there's a waitlist....we decided not to take the chance. 5% isn't a heck of a deduction

Archived