Pecan rolls on the Prinsendam

Pettifogger

Some passengers take cruises for the lobster or the crab; I take cruises for the pecan rolls. Unfortunately, I'm not the only one who likes them, so, as often as not, they run out.

On my last Prinsendam cruise, if they did run out, I could wait and go to the coffee bar on my way back from breakfast and there were usually some pecan rolls there. However, they are now charging for coffee at the coffee bar, which is fine, except that when I try to take a pecan roll, they may slap my hand and say, "Only if you buy coffee!" and I'll have just had two or three cups of coffee at breakfast.

On another HAL ship, I asked for and received a little bagel with salmon and cream cheese from a nice young lady at the coffee bar and, before I could withdraw, I was caught by the supervisor and subjected to a stern lecture that they only go with purchased coffee, much to the amusement of the bystanders.

I don't want to go through that again, so if, in the next couple of months, any other pecan roll lover on the Prinsendam should happen to liberate one from the coffee bar and get away with it, please let me know.

If they are out of pecan rolls at breakfast, ask the waiter for a rain check, and take it to the coffee bar! And if you get any hassle, just tell them that you checked with Stein Kruse, and he said it was OK!

Have you thought of writing in "Pecan Rolls" on the room service breakfast menu? That might be the answer to your problem - you get your carafe of coffee and the delightful pecan rolls as well.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

I was on the Maasdam and Oosterdam last year - stopped by the coffee bar a few times for the little pieces of bagel spread with tuna. I was never told that I had to buy coffee to get one of the little sandwiches. I actually asked the server before taking it if it was alright that I didn't purchase anything, as I rarely drink coffee. She said that there wasn't a problem.

I believe there are two independent issues here: a) running out of pecan rolls at breakfast - here I suggest asking for the chef and seeing if more are available. If not, suggest that there might be higher demand for these on this cruise and maybe they won't have this problem on future morns.; b) is food offered at coffee bar complimentary - this is a question for the Hotel Manager and if the answer is not the right one, note it on the questionnaire at end of cruise as that would be a surprising conflict. (I suspect the problem you encountered was an overzealous supervisor - this happens if the management has not informed them about what the purpose of the supporting foods might be.)

harry

Have you thought of writing in "Pecan Rolls" on the room service breakfast menu? That might be the answer to your problem - you get your carafe of coffee and the delightful pecan rolls as well.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

Does this really work? Any time we wrote in a special request on the room service menu while on the Zaandam recently it was completely ignored without explanation. For example, one morning, I wrote in Eggs Benedict for my entree which never showed up and no replacement was offered.

jcrandle: Thank you for the suggestion, but I don't know Mr. Kruse or any of the other high ranking officers at HAL. I shouldn't want to take any chance, however unlikely, that one of them might just happen to be on the ship at the time, detect my stratagem, tell the captain to stop at Mas a Tierra Island (Alexander Selkirk's former vacation home), and put me ashore without any pecan rolls. I acknowledge that one must take some risks in life, but the just the thought of standing on the island watching the Prinsendam disappear over the horizon with all the pecan rolls makes me shudder.

Does this really work? Any time we wrote in a special request on the room service menu while on the Zaandam recently it was completely ignored without explanation. For example, one morning, I wrote in Eggs Benedict for my entree which never showed up and no replacement was offered.

It's worked for others. Was your delivery time outside of dining room hours? That would be one explanation.

We had no problem on the Zaandam in February. I routine ask for chocolate croissant and cinnamon rolls in the morning with coffee for room service. They come in a nice basket, no problem. I also wonder if the order was put in outside of regular breakfast dining times.

It's worked for others. Was your delivery time outside of dining room hours? That would be one explanation.

Nope...standard time (7:00am - 7:30am). We'd often notice a few requested things would not arrive that were ordered and also some "odd" situations, such as ordering two orders of coffee and one hot tea but only getting two cups. If I ordered that in a restaurant they'd of course bring three cups but not the case on Zaandam. Must be a Dutch thing. :rolleyes:

Nope...standard time (7:00am - 7:30am).

I don't remember that the dining room is usually open that early. My recollection is that the dining room opens at 8:00, or even sometimes at 8:30.

You probably can't check your daily program now to compare the opening hours on the same day you didn't get eggs benedict, as you'd need to recall what you ordered on which day.

Ahoy!

Sea Days : 0800 - 0930

Port Days : 0730 - 0900

Any of the breakfast items served in the DR can be penciled in on your breakfast / room service card the night before as long as your delivery option is within the hours of DR operation and not before.

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob:)

Archived