Worst Princess Cruise Ever - Sea Princess

Traveling52

:mad:as a Princess Platinum member this may be our last Princess Cruise.

Well, that's your choice. But remember....

1. You haven't been attacked by Pirates.

2. Your ship hasn't sunk in Santorini.

3. You haven't been hit by a rogue wave.

4. You haven't been hit by a Force 12 gale and 50 foot waves (as we have on a Princess cruise)

5. You are not even restricted to your cabin with Norovirus.

As a Princess Elite Member I've also had cruises that haven't been perfect. I've also had cruises on other lines that haven't been perfect.

That's because the world isn't perfect. Get used to it. You'll enjoy things a lot more if you do.

Hi Folks,

Does anyone know what the Engine problem is on the Sea Princess, often folk refer to an engine problem when it more often some thing to do with electrics as the ship is motor driven.

As to soda or a can, I have had the odd can or two from a bar man, either very busy, or soda was not working. Only ever had 1 bottle of water at a bar free, but I think barman knew if I did not get water quickly after being ashore all day he would be carrying be to my cabin.

As to ship tours of bridge etc yip you can pay and have a full tour,

or you do it the old way and write a very nice letter to the captain, chef etc.

Do not beleave sorry, that the food is that bad, if it was 2000 folk would be the que for the pizza and burgers, see photos under yum yum post.

Now have been on a Sun class ship limping along on reduced power, late into port, reduced time in port , poor air con etc and well its just not fun,

however we who post here owe it to others to give them the correct picture of life onboard.

You may recall Shogun live from the Sun a few years back we had noro, engine problems etc etc, some one started a post the cruise from hell

while I just posted just the facts and let others make there own minds up as to the good or the very bad.

Well while ashore in FT L we met people with Sun Princess tags on there bags, they were boarding later that day, they were going to cancel but after reading Shoguns posts thought they would give it a try, they knew it would not be 100% perfect, well afterwards I got a e mail saying they had a good cruise and was well worth the money they had paid.

yours Shogun

But I am a bit confused with a couple of your statements.

"Gone are the days of buying a soda card and getting bottle water or canned soda, it is only soda from the bar, you do not get the entire can."

The soda card has never been for canned soda, only fountain soda drinks. This hasn't changed, it has always been this way, since they began selling the soda cards. We have sailed on princess since 1993 and have never received bottled water at no charge, even with a soda card (when those became available). So these two things have me a bit puzzled. Are you confusing Princess with another cruise line maybe?

Possibly the poster may have either cruised on an occasion when the soda guns were out of service, or possibly on an "oddball" ship that is the exception rather than the rule. Maybe there was a problem with delivery of the post-mix syrups and the ship loaded canned soft drinks instead

For instance, did the ships that Princess inherited from Sitmar have soda guns? How about the small ex-Renaissance ships?

It's always possible that something may happen on one or two ships that does not happen fleet-wide.

Hi Folks,

Does anyone know what the Engine problem is on the Sea Princess, often folk refer to an engine problem when it more often some thing to do with electrics as the ship is motor driven.

Yes one of the 4 Sulzer diesels bent a Crankshaft and had a bad bearing. The engine is being completely rebuilt onboard. Photo of new parts here . http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/pgsQVf5vJ78m9CIKLgVv0w?authkey=Gv1sRgCMCkxrO9irPGrwE&feat=directlink Photo shows new cylinder liners & heads.

I am on the sailing on the 13th. I have read both threads with interest (one having a great time and the one who is not). My only concern is the statement regarding hot water. I am sure they will have made some arrangements for people to shower or get moved to a different cabin. Warm water is fine with me. Now, no laundry may be a problem. I was counting on traveling light (or as light as I can with a 10 year old). Guess I will have to send out laundry if necessary.

I too think the original poster will find changes with the other cruise lines. Our last RCCL cruise really showed the cut backs which is why we switched to Princess. Now from what I hear, Princess is catching up on the cut backs. But all in all, cruising is one heck of a value in my book. Where else can you travel to so many different place, packing and un-packing once and have all your meals included and for less than $100 per day?

Chris

Thanks for the report.

I was wondering if the OP can provide more detail on the bad food? since Princess uses the same menus on most ships, it's very curious.

Is it the selections on the DR menu? In the buffet? On room service?

Is it the temperature the food is served at?

Is it the done-ness of the food?

Is it the amount of salt or spices?

Why is the food bad?

The engine being broken does make for starting the cruise on a negative. It's happened to other ships in the past like the Celebrity pod problems. Hopefully, if enough folks address other problems onboard the staff can start improving the things that they control.

This is mostly for the know it alls, I am on this ship. I know what is happening

Ok. The soda card. the last two trips with Princess one being just a year ago, if we ask for bottled water or soda in a can we got it, but we had to ask and did not get charged for it. Yes the bottles of water were small but that was ok.

The coffee card is sold as specialty coffee card, not for regular coffee and you order off of the espresso coffee menu. They do not tell you anything when you buy the card. In fact my husband was buying a vanilla latte and that is when they pushed the card and said it would be cheaper to buy the card, LOL, and it is not for the entire cruise just for 15 specialty coffee drinks, which was fine but you would like to get what you pay for.

The water in the showere, no it is not even warm. We had five different couples the other night who did not know each other and were on different decks. One lady was very elderly and had only COLD water for 7 days. Ok, guys we are on an Alaska cruise the last thing you want is cold water shower. The people we are meeting are strangers and most new to cruising, they are asking us if it is normal for the water to be cold. Some have had luke warm we are lucky ours has been hot.

We were loyal Princess cruisers for the last 10 years and have been cruising for over 25. People are paying good money for these cruises they need to know what to expect and get what they pay for.

And for the one talking about th $75 OBC, they have changed our itinerary twice again since we have been on board. According to Princess, who I talked with before we left, they had no engine problems, everything we were reading was rumor. They lied. We got a letter when we go on board saying they had an engine out. the $75 was to compensate for short port stays, which we were fine with. But we have found out we are sailing around Vancouver Island for a day so they will not have to pay extra port charges. We left Alaska 2 days ago, suppose to be one day between Alaska and Victoria. We only have a couple hours their since we get in at 4AM and leave at 11AM. Many wanted to see the gardens in Victoria. There is really no point in stopping, there will only be the city tour available because of our time in town. Not an issue for us we have been here before and we like being on board normally. Many book tours for the excursions. This was definitely not the trip for them

When you pay thousands of dollars for a vacation and for some this is their first and maybe their last it is sad.

We are actually fine compared to many. I hoped to put this on here for people that want information. Not for those that evidently own stock in Princess.

Would we sail Princess again probably will we book before we leave the ship like we normally do, no. We never look at other options and now we will. We will now look at RCL again.

Ok the bridge tour yes they have been limited, not problem but they don't usually charge $150 for bridge and ship tour. We have never paid for any tour on board and yes we did take a bridge tour last cruise, that many of us set up ahead of time, but no charge. And yes I understand security since 9/11. I worked the respite centers at ground zero for 7 weeks in 2001. That is not the complete issue here.

Again, this is just to get information out there for first time cruisers or new to Princess. Beware and know what to expect. I only read this site and post on this site for info. Not to slam other people.

The supervisors on board know their are major problems they have an open line to Princess Corp for anyone and are meeting individually with us an in groups. So there are some major problems.

But things like bad food and no hot water are major as far as I am concerned, and for someone who always eats in the dining room and enjoys it, we are eating in the Pizzaria, which is a shame it is good but you don't want it every night.

If you post be prepared to get slammed. People here love their cruise lines and act like you are attacking their families.

Hi traveling52,

First thank you for taking the time to post, please keep posting.

As to ship tours, been there seen that etc and did not pay.

As to the Pizza restraunt it used to have a bigger menu which I miss.

My worest and best cruise has been on the Sea Princess.

Can you tell us what is wrong with the food.

As to no hot water, having no water and no toilet is even worse.

Is there hot water in the spa, not that you should have to use there showers but I have had to do this in the past.

On the cruises were things have gone wrong, Princess has always put there hands up and been very fair in what they offered me,

Keep photos, and dates times of what has gone wrong.

yours Shogun

Ok. The soda card. the last two trips with Princess one being just a year ago, if we ask for bottled water or soda in a can we got it, but we had to ask and did not get charged for it. Yes the bottles of water were small but that was ok.
This is highly unusual and against the soda card "rules" so I think you got lucky. I have never heard of this before. Were you able to get soda in cans or bottled water from just one person or did this happen in bars and lounges as well? I'm curious.

This is mostly for the know it alls, I am on this ship. I know what is happening

The coffee card is sold as specialty coffee card, not for regular coffee and you order off of the espresso coffee menu. They do not tell you anything when you buy the card. In fact my husband was buying a vanilla latte and that is when they pushed the card and said it would be cheaper to buy the card, LOL, and it is not for the entire cruise just for 15 specialty coffee drinks, which was fine but you would like to get what you pay for.

The water in the showere, no it is not even warm. We had five different couples the other night who did not know each other and were on different decks. One lady was very elderly and had only COLD water for 7 days. Ok, guys we are on an Alaska cruise the last thing you want is cold water shower. The people we are meeting are strangers and most new to cruising, they are asking us if it is normal for the water to be cold. Some have had luke warm we are lucky ours has been hot.

We were loyal Princess cruisers for the last 10 years and have been cruising for over 25. People are paying good money for these cruises they need to know what to expect and get what they pay for.

And for the one talking about th $75 OBC, they have changed our itinerary twice again since we have been on board. According to Princess, who I talked with before we left, they had no engine problems, everything we were reading was rumor. They lied. We got a letter when we go on board saying they had an engine out. the $75 was to compensate for short port stays, which we were fine with. But we have found out we are sailing around Vancouver Island for a day so they will not have to pay extra port charges. We left Alaska 2 days ago, suppose to be one day between Alaska and Victoria. We only have a couple hours their since we get in at 4AM and leave at 11AM. Many wanted to see the gardens in Victoria. There is really no point in stopping, there will only be the city tour available because of our time in town. Not an issue for us we have been here before and we like being on board normally. Many book tours for the excursions. This was definitely not the trip for them

When you pay thousands of dollars for a vacation and for some this is their first and maybe their last it is sad.

We are actually fine compared to many. I hoped to put this on here for people that want information. Not for those that evidently own stock in Princess.

Would we sail Princess again probably will we book before we leave the ship like we normally do, no. We never look at other options and now we will. We will now look at RCL again.

Ok the bridge tour yes they have been limited, not problem but they don't usually charge $150 for bridge and ship tour. We have never paid for any tour on board and yes we did take a bridge tour last cruise, that many of us set up ahead of time, but no charge. And yes I understand security since 9/11. I worked the respite centers at ground zero for 7 weeks in 2001. That is not the complete issue here.

Again, this is just to get information out there for first time cruisers or new to Princess. Beware and know what to expect. I only read this site and post on this site for info. Not to slam other people.

The supervisors on board know their are major problems they have an open line to Princess Corp for anyone and are meeting individually with us an in groups. So there are some major problems.

But things like bad food and no hot water are major as far as I am concerned, and for someone who always eats in the dining room and enjoys it, we are eating in the Pizzaria, which is a shame it is good but you don't want it every night.

If you post be prepared to get slammed. People here love their cruise lines and act like you are attacking their families.

I agree with you. Dont know why some people are so nasty on this board! Its suppose to be a community to share information, good or bad, and not have to be afraid that you will get 'attack' for what u feel! Shame on you people....

We were on the first 7days Alaska cruise on the Golden Princess in May after the refit, I totally understand what you are saying. Princess's attempt to limit 'down time' is really costing their customer a lot! We are also a Platinum members, and have stopped looking at princess for our future cruise!

Thank you for sharing your experience.

The purser told us last night they picked up the new engine in skagway.

And for those sceptics, sure I am making all this up. I am sitting in the internet cafe sending this, get over it that their could possibly be problems with Princess.

The food, the selection is much smaller I assume because of cutbacks it is not as good as the Island Princess last year and the menu is not even close. We have had sour milk many mornings at breakfast, keep running out of stuff, fruit etc, the selections are just poor compared to before. We expect it is because of cut backs.

No none of the people we have talked to got new cabins with hot water even though the ship is not full. They are getting warm water today and they have 2 laundrys up and running.

My last post, you guys are not cruise critics you are passenger critics.

We have only cruised Princess for the last 10 years. We went to Panama last year for 16 days. If we ask we got the soda in a can and small bottles of water at no additional charge. Guess we were just lucky.

This time the food is terrrible. We always eat in the dining room and have only eaten there 3 times this cruise, thank goodness for the Pizzaria. Buffet is not good either.

Also a group of us set up a bridge tour for free as well as kitchen. It was a sign up. We did not have a problem. I have never seen them charge $150, that is ridiculous.

The people that have cruised on other lines or are brand new are saying they will never cruise Princess again and are writing letters as well as are getting free phone access to Princess as have I. Supervisors are setting up meetings and meeting individually with all of us as well. They are planning on having a meeting with the entire ship, can't wait to hear what they have to say.

When I called Princess a few days before we left SF, they lied and said nothing was wrong with the ship and then when we got on board there was a letter saying we would be going slow because we only had 3 engines. Learned they finally got a new engine yesterday, hopefully it will be better for the next group.

I know there are those of you out there that look at Princess as family, it is only a business and right now business is not looking too good. Also this ship is not full and it is mostly first time cruisers and last time cruisers, which is sad.

We will be looking forward to starting back with RCL, Princess is going down hill in a hurry.

I know I will get slammed from those of you that love Princess, oh well.

You wont get slammed from me. I was the OP who told you about the problems and advised you to contact Princess. I did get slammed by some but you dont know how it will effect you until it actually happens to yot. Please keep us informed. Kimberley

For the benefit of people going and wish to know please provide an update. My TA for 15 years, told me that Princess is famous or infamous when it comes to inconsistency. I guess one can expect them to follow their own RULES once the employees figure out what they are. In the mean time I guess they could check with CC for what they are suppose to be. They are often posted here:D

Just an observation and what I was told.

Good Luck!

The purser told us last night they picked up the new engine in skagway. The food, the selection is much smaller I assume because of cutbacks it is not as good as the Island Princess last year and the menu is not even close. We have had sour milk many mornings at breakfast, keep running out of stuff, fruit etc, the selections are just poor compared to before. We expect it is because of cut backs. No, none of the people we have talked to got new cabins with hot water even though the ship is not full. They are getting warm water today and they have 2 laundrys up and running.

PLEASE, write to Princess Passenger Relations about these problems; however, do not address either the coke card nor the coffee card. It is a mute point and will make you look silly.

The Spa has the big, wonderful showers. Go there for a great shower.

While still on the ship, speak with the Maitre d' about the bad food. He can fix it, if it can be fixed.

I do my laundry by hand in the bathroom, using the free shampoo.

Sorry you did not have a good time.

:D;):cool:;):D

Is it possible the people with lukewarm shower water just don't know about the button on the shower control to turn the temperature past luke-cold to hot? I know it took me some figuring to find that little devil. My clue that it was my problem was that I could get hot water from the sink.

Is it possible the people with lukewarm shower water just don't know about the button on the shower control to turn the temperature past luke-cold to hot? I know it took me some figuring to find that little devil. My clue that it was my problem was that I could get hot water from the sink.

Oh, like me??? LOL Last week on the Diamond, my first shower...I was FREEZING. I told my husband "they have no hot water on this ship!!!"

Oh yeah..the button! Once I figured that out, I had to keep from scorching myself. :)

Julie

So sorry you have had a bad experience.

Maybe if you tried to make the best of it and participate in an activity or something rather than spending so much time in the internet cafe, it would help you get your mind off of it. A lot of times our outlook makes all the difference. You have posted three times today. You need a diversion! Maybe drinks and a show tonight? Why give them more of your money on the internet??

We had our first cruise ever last week, on Princess and had a fabulous time. Again, I'm so sorry for the problems you've encountered.

Julie

Oh, like me??? LOL Last week on the Diamond, my first shower...I was FREEZING. I told my husband "they have no hot water on this ship!!!"

Oh yeah..the button! Once I figured that out, I had to keep from scorching myself. :)

Julie

Amen! You would think they would post an explanation so you don't have to figure it out when you're tired, sweaty from dancing and looking forward to a luxurious shower and watching Alaska go by to lull you to sleep...

I think I'm ready to go on another cruise! :D

The purser told us last night they picked up the new engine in skagway.

And for those sceptics, sure I am making all this up. I am sitting in the internet cafe sending this, get over it that their could possibly be problems with Princess.

The food, the selection is much smaller I assume because of cutbacks it is not as good as the Island Princess last year and the menu is not even close. We have had sour milk many mornings at breakfast, keep running out of stuff, fruit etc, the selections are just poor compared to before. We expect it is because of cut backs.

No none of the people we have talked to got new cabins with hot water even though the ship is not full. They are getting warm water today and they have 2 laundrys up and running.

Well, maybe so... there is another person who is doing a "live" thread from your voyage and her experience is completely different from yours. :rolleyes: I, for one, am sure that you're not "making this up", but I find that if you look for problems, you'll find them. And the more you dwell on the problems, the more magnified they become. As someone else has said, maybe you should try to enjoy yourselves a little more. Just a suggestion...:)

This is my first time to this board and maybe my last. Someone told me to come here and check it out. But, there are a lot on mean people on here.

Everything Traveling52 is saying is true. Most of you have not read past her first post. She is has given great explanations.

The majority on board are writing letters and the pursers are staying busy putting in info from all of us and having meetings.

The food is so, so at best on this cruise although last nights dinner was good and you could tell, finally the dining room was full. No flavor and most of the sauces taste the same no matter what. If they have 2 pasta dishes they both have what tastes like the same sauce. That is just one example. You can just tell they are skimping on this cruise. We have talked to the head waiter and they understand, they are trying. The food at the buffet is just ok also. I will say hamburger are good as usual.

I will echo also what the traveling said the crew as usual are great. It is the head office that needs to deal with this.

I know some of you can maybe get cruises for $299 with Princess, but trust me if you got a balcony on this cruise for 2 it was closer to $5000 and many of us did not fly, so that was without the flight. I live in California, I see many cruises:mad: with Carnival for that price but not Princess although Carnival owns Princess.

The hot water is not the little button on the shower, it is no hot water period in a lot of our cabins. Those of us as that are frequent cruisers know about the button. I think she said she is also a Platinum member as am I, so she knows that. Trust me many of us have ask the new people if they know about the button and they are really frustrated at how many people have ask them that question, again it is not the button.

It is so bad their is a petition on the boat going to Princess. We also as traveling52, book our next cruise on the ship. Not this time either.

I also think she said that she was still having a good time and felt bad for the first time Princess cruisers.

We all have to remember Princess is a business their bottom line is money not customers.

Hi Orba,

Thanks for posting, please keep us up dated.

My best and worest ever cruise was on the Sea Princess.

It is a pity that the food is not good, as you can put up with a lot if you have good food on a cruise.

May be the dry dock can not come soon enough.

Make the best of things.

I cruise next week with Princess and expect the same standard as my last cruise.

yours Shogun

Hi Orba,

Thanks for posting, please keep us up dated.

My best and worest ever cruise was on the Sea Princess.

It is a pity that the food is not good, as you can put up with a lot if you have good food on a cruise.

May be the dry dock can not come soon enough.

Make the best of things.

I cruise next week with Princess and expect the same standard as my last cruise.

yours Shogun

Shogun,

As I respect your opinion, please keep me (us) posted about your experience on the Crown.

I'll be on her in July to Norway.

Have a great cruise!

Paul

Archived