Worst Princess Cruise Ever - Sea Princess

Traveling52

:mad:We are currently cruising on the Sea Princess. The people before us on the repositioning cruise were right. So many issues with this ship. We are the first cruise to Alaska out of SF and it is definitely not the greatest as a Princess Platinum member this may be our last Princess Cruise.We always love the meals in the dining room and buffet. They are lousy this trip, we are eating pizza most meals avoiding the dining room. Many rooms are without hot water and have been the entire cruise. Laundrymats have been closed for the entire trip, each day the sign says they will be open tomorrow, this is a 10 day trip and we are on day 7, they have not opened yet.

We have been late to all ports due to limping along on 3 engines and we started the cruise on 3 engines, they had these same problems before they got to SF and did not get them fixed. We have all got a $75 OBC. It is not as big an issue for us as others, because this is the second time we have been on this cruise and we like being on the ship, but others are really upset. Much of the furniture is very warn and thread bare as well.

The coffee and soda cards are a joke, this trip. Even though it says latte, cappachino, espresso and mocha. It only means the basics even though if you ordered the small vanilla mocha or hot chocolate or machiato off of the same menu, they are less or the same price as the large basic coffee drinks that are supposedly allowed. They don't really tell you this when they are pushing the coffee card, we found out when we tried to order a vanilla latte, which was .50 cheaper than a regular latte.

Gone are the days of buying a soda card and getting bottle water or canned soda, it is only soda from the bar, you do not get the entire can. And now instead of having ship tours of the kitchen or bridge and other areas where you sign up, first come first serve basis. They are asking $150, what a joke. I can take a tour of an aircraft carrier for $8.

We are still making the best of it. But for those sailing on Sea Princess to Alaska this year beware and if you call Princess they will tell you everything is fine. We did not know until 2 days before the trip other than what we read on the web, and all Princess said was they were giving everyone $75 OBC for operational issues but they would not be specific.

Good Sailing.

:mad:We are currently cruising on the Sea Princess. The people before us on the repositioning cruise were right. So many issues with this ship. We are the first cruise to Alaska out of SF and it is definitely not the greatest as a Princess Platinum member this may be our last Princess Cruise.We always love the meals in the dining room and buffet. They are lousy this trip, we are eating pizza most meals avoiding the dining room. Many rooms are without hot water and have been the entire cruise. Laundrymats have been closed for the entire trip, each day the sign says they will be open tomorrow, this is a 10 day trip and we are on day 7, they have not opened yet.

We have been late to all ports due to limping along on 3 engines and we started the cruise on 3 engines, they had these same problems before they got to SF and did not get them fixed. We have all got a $75 OBC. It is not as big an issue for us as others, because this is the second time we have been on this cruise and we like being on the ship, but others are really upset. Much of the furniture is very warn and thread bare as well.

The coffee and soda cards are a joke, this trip. Even though it says latte, cappachino, espresso and mocha. It only means the basics even though if you ordered the small vanilla mocha or hot chocolate or machiato off of the same menu, they are less or the same price as the large basic coffee drinks that are supposedly allowed. They don't really tell you this when they are pushing the coffee card, we found out when we tried to order a vanilla latte, which was .50 cheaper than a regular latte.

And now instead of having ship tours of the kitchen or bridge and other areas where you sign up, first come first serve basis. They are asking $150, what a joke. I can take a tour of an aircraft carrier for $8.

We are still making the best of it. But for those sailing on Sea Princess to Alaska this year beware and if you call Princess they will tell you everything is fine. We did not know until 2 days before the trip other than what we read on the web, and all Princess said was they were giving everyone $75 OBC for operational issues but they would not be specific.

Good Sailing.

Thanks for reporting in, sorry to hear the ship is not yet repaired, that is not good news at all.

But I am a bit confused with a couple of your statements.

"Gone are the days of buying a soda card and getting bottle water or canned soda, it is only soda from the bar, you do not get the entire can."

The soda card has never been for canned soda, only fountain soda drinks. This hasn't changed, it has always been this way, since they began selling the soda cards. We have sailed on princess since 1993 and have never received bottled water at no charge, even with a soda card (when those became available). So these two things have me a bit puzzled. Are you confusing Princess with another cruise line maybe?

As said, this is not good news at all, between the limping along ship and the conditions you are reporting, I feel terrible for all of you, and those that will be boarding the ship throughout the summer.

Hope things get better. :o

Thanks for reporting in, sorry to hear the ship is not yet repaired, that is not good news at all.

"Gone are the days of buying a soda card and getting bottle water or canned soda, it is only soda from the bar, you do not get the entire can."

The soda card has never been for canned soda, only fountain soda drinks. This hasn't changed, it has always been this way, since they began selling the soda cards. We have sailed on princess since 1993 and have never received bottled water at no charge, even with a soda card (when those became available). So these two things have me a bit puzzled. Are you confusing Princess with another cruise line maybe?

As said, this is not good news at all, between the limping along ship and the conditions you are reporting, I feel terrible for all of you, and those that will be boarding the ship throughout the summer.

Hope things get better. :o

That caught my eye too. Even on our Carnival cruises (1994 - 2002), the drink card would get you a fountain drink.

Hopefully the rest of your cruise will be better.

I'm sorry you're having all of these problems. Be sure you document the issues, be specific and clear about them, and write to Princess when you get home.

Gone are the days of buying a soda card and getting bottle water or canned soda, it is only soda from the bar, you do not get the entire can. And now instead of having ship tours of the kitchen or bridge and other areas where you sign up, first come first serve basis. They are asking $150, what a joke. I can take a tour of an aircraft carrier for $8.
The soda card has ALWAYS been just for soda from the bar and NEVER for bottled water or canned soda so this issue is not correct.

As for the Ultimate Ship's Tour, I took it on the Sapphire in April and it was worth every penny of the $150. Of course, if you dont' want to take it, you don't have to but it's one that I would recommend. :)

Bridge tours have been very limited since 2001. They have done them but they have been in very small, select groups. Since 2001 - they no longer post ship bridge tours in Princess Patters like they (and other cruise lines) used to do. We have an entirely different country since 9-11.

sorry to hear about your bad experiences aboard Sea Princess.

Why does SF always get the crappy ships? I was so unhappy

when I saw that the Sea Princess would be doing the 10-day cruises.

Last couple years it was the Dawn, which I thought sounded bad [even

though lots of people rave about her]

I can't wait until Princess puts in one of their Grand class cruisers

for the 10-day to Alaska, and only then will I book out of our home port.

I use to get diet 7 up with the soda card. The bar staff would pour glasses from 16-20 ounce bottles. Not anymore!! But I did get diet 7 up years ago on Princess cruises.

I use to get diet 7 up with the soda card. The bar staff would pour glasses from 16-20 ounce bottles. Not anymore!! But I did get diet 7 up years ago on Princess cruises.

You must have hit a lucky bartender, anything that doesn't come out of the soda gun is not free with the soda card. Sorry!

But then again, there were many things we received YEARS AGO, that we don't receive today. The only thing that is about the same is that the pricing has gotten less expensive for the initial cruise. ;)

:mad:

Gone are the days of buying a soda card and getting bottle water or canned soda, it is only soda from the bar, you do not get the entire can.

Good Sailing.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

Not only gone are the days of buying a soda and getting water or canned soda but also the day when a cruise was a truly specular vacation.

More problems, more excuses but one result, for many what used to be a vacation of great joy and wonder is now one of lemon and lemonade.

Truly, gone are the days, if it's not about can soda but about the wonder of cruising.

The wonder is slowly replaced by mediocrity and corporate indifference. The Golden Princess construction and the Sea Princess engine problems.

Most things sold on a ship after you get on are a joke. What you buy or how much you pay depends on your sense of humor. I LMAO buying pics:D

I would cry like a baby paying $150 for a ship tour but gladly did the tour of USS Midway for $8

Good luck on the rest of your cruise. If you are told to make lemonade out of lemons, trade it for Tequila and lime:p

I am sorry about all your problems.I hope that everything gets better,however by the way you talking it is only getting worst I would most definatly complain to the corperate office at Princess.

Ever since we started cruising in 2002, Princess has carried "only" Coke products!

We have only cruised Princess for the last 10 years. We went to Panama last year for 16 days. If we ask we got the soda in a can and small bottles of water at no additional charge. Guess we were just lucky.

This time the food is terrrible. We always eat in the dining room and have only eaten there 3 times this cruise, thank goodness for the Pizzaria. Buffet is not good either.

Also a group of us set up a bridge tour for free as well as kitchen. It was a sign up. We did not have a problem. I have never seen them charge $150, that is ridiculous.

The people that have cruised on other lines or are brand new are saying they will never cruise Princess again and are writing letters as well as are getting free phone access to Princess as have I. Supervisors are setting up meetings and meeting individually with all of us as well. They are planning on having a meeting with the entire ship, can't wait to hear what they have to say.

When I called Princess a few days before we left SF, they lied and said nothing was wrong with the ship and then when we got on board there was a letter saying we would be going slow because we only had 3 engines. Learned they finally got a new engine yesterday, hopefully it will be better for the next group.

I know there are those of you out there that look at Princess as family, it is only a business and right now business is not looking too good. Also this ship is not full and it is mostly first time cruisers and last time cruisers, which is sad.

We will be looking forward to starting back with RCL, Princess is going down hill in a hurry.

I know I will get slammed from those of you that love Princess, oh well.

When I called Princess a few days before we left SF, they lied and said nothing was wrong with the ship and then when we got on board there was a letter saying we would be going slow because we only had 3 engines. Learned they finally got a new engine yesterday, hopefully it will be better for the next group.

I have been reading up on the Sea Princess fiasco for the last few weeks. I sail on her in a few short days. I feel bad that you are having a horrible cruise. I only hope they get her fixed in time.

The soda card has ALWAYS been just for soda from the bar and NEVER for bottled water or canned soda so this issue is not correct.

We have only cruised Princess for the last 10 years. We went to Panama last year for 16 days. If we ask we got the soda in a can and small bottles of water at no additional charge. Guess we were just lucky.

Posts that let you go hmmmmmmm:confused:

Yep, I guess you were lucky... I haven't encountered canned soda and bottles of water for free with the soda card.

This time the food is terrrible. We always eat in the dining room and have only eaten there 3 times this cruise, thank goodness for the Pizzaria. Buffet is not good either.

The Pizzeria is very good!

Also a group of us set up a bridge tour for free as well as kitchen. It was a sign up. We did not have a problem. I have never seen them charge $150, that is ridiculous.

What? You just "set up a bridge tour"? Not since 9/11 you haven't. The only way this could have happened is if someone in your group knew someone on the bridge crew. And a tour of the galley is free to everyone, usually on the last day of a voyage, but only when the galley is not in operation. As Pam has mentioned, the $150 tour lasts many hours, visits many other places besides the bridge and the attendees are given a bunch of gifts too.

The people that have cruised on other lines or are brand new are saying they will never cruise Princess again and are writing letters as well as are getting free phone access to Princess as have I. Supervisors are setting up meetings and meeting individually with all of us as well. They are planning on having a meeting with the entire ship, can't wait to hear what they have to say.

Neither can we...

They "got a new engine"?? :rolleyes: And when is the drydock scheduled for them to install this "new engine"? Sounds more like they got the parts to fix the old one...

I know there are those of you out there that look at Princess as family, it is only a business and right now business is not looking too good. Also this ship is not full and it is mostly first time cruisers and last time cruisers, which is sad.

We will be looking forward to starting back with RCL, Princess is going down hill in a hurry.

Hmmmm... well, since you've "only cruised Princess for the last 10 years", you may find that RCCL has changed a bit too in the last 10 years... :p

Well, I, for one, will be interested in hearing from others on this same cruise. And, of course, you are definitely entitled to state your opinion, it just seems to some of us Princess lovers, IMHO, that you may be overstating some of your facts.

Try to enjoy the rest of your cruise. :)

I hope you won't consider this a "slam" but feel bad that you've expended so much energy on things you can't change.

All of this is, of course, is IMHO:

>>As others have pointed out, I think you're mistaken about the soda card.

>>As for the coffee card, I can't understand your complaint but I also can't differentiate between a "small vanilla mocha or hot chocolate or machiato" so that's probably just me :).

>>Princess has opted out of the free kitchen and bridge tours in favor of the "ultimate" ship tour (which I wouldn't pay for either) :( but that's their perogative.

>>The engine situation is a little more complex but I can see where Princess wouldn't want to cancel an entire block of cruises and disappoint those who'd rather get into port a little late versus having no cruise at all. Sounds like they've compensated you for the delays.

>>Since you said hot water wasn't available in "many" staterooms, I'm guessing it was available in yours.

>>WRT the availability of laundry facilities--many cruise lines have no self-service laundry at all.

Traveling52, the past week has seen the best May weather in Alaska in a half-century. You say you've made the best of it but, by your own admission, you've chosen to spend your time posting on CC, calling Princess, writing Princess and having meetings. Sounds like work to me.

Again, JMHO, but I'd be spending every minute appreciating my good fortune to be in such a gorgeous place with such wonderful weather.

I'm on the Sea Princess next, but am already fully expecting late port arrivals. This shouldn't be a point of frustration, since the current cruisers on Sea P should have known about the engine problems before departure. Everyone received a letter and a $75 OBC, right? As for the food ... to each his own. For every person complaining, there's another raving about it. So, who knows.

My ONLY concern about this thread is the news about the hot water. I wonder how valid that is though. Is the water warm, but not hot? I find it highly doubtful there isn't at least warm water to bathe with.

I've been following the weather for the current cruise on Sea Princess. It hasn't been all that great. Mostly in the 40's, windy, and rainy. However, the next Sea P cruise looks to be just the opposite. Might the lousy weather conditions have something to do with amplifying the current problems onboard the ship? I would think so.

Anyway, hope everyone on the Sea P now, and in the future has a great time. Remember, your attitude tends to have a great impact on how much you enjoy your vacation. Happy cruising!

I was speaking to friend who got off Sea Princess last weekend and he said he had a ball and a fantastic time. I can understand engine problems causing a missed port or 2, but it sounds like they are sorting it. As for not getting cans of soda on your soda card - well, its not really a 'breaker' is it?:confused:

Good Sailing.

Sorry to here about your problems. Of course when things go wrong then everything else that crops up seems a bit more exaggerated.We are on the sea over Christmas and would hope from our point of view it will be ok The ship is due for some sort of refurb in September but of course this doesn't help you. Make lots of notes and put your complaints to princess and take no prisoners. Hope it improves for you :)

regards

ian:cool:

I was on the Sea Princess for the PC repo from FLL to SFO and found the crew and staff delightful. Yes, there were a few problems but remember the ship is a large mechanical object and things can and will go wrong. IMO the food was great and I would sail this ship in a heartbeat.

They "got a new engine"?? :rolleyes: And when is the drydock scheduled for them to install this "new engine"? Sounds more like they got the parts to fix the old one

Don't they just lift the hood and put a new one in? I remember doing that with my Rambler when I was a teenager.

. well, since you've "only cruised Princess for the last 10 years", you may find that RCCL has changed a bit too in the last 10 years... :p

;)

Does anyone else question whether or not the person posting this is actually on the cruise? In the Inside Passage, ships aren't allowed to go very fast and the distances are short. They don't need to go full speed to be on time.

It's not necessary to validate EVERY complaint. Some people are just looking for attention or trying to make mountains out of molehills. It's why the rest of the world looks at us as a nation of whiners.

And now instead of having ship tours of the kitchen or bridge and other areas where you sign up, first come first serve basis. They are asking $150, what a joke.

Princess stopped giving Bridge tours some years ago as a security measure.

We were lucky to get a bridge visit on our first Princess cruise, because we exchanged vows on board and a bridge tour was part of the advertised package (we booked the cruise just after 9/11, no doubt before the tours were stopped)

The best bridge visit I ever had was on Island Escape, and I was lucky enough to be invited to the bridge whilst berthed in Nice, and stayed there until we were at sea. For anyone who is interested, the harbour at Nice is very tight, Island Escape is the largest ship to have docked in Nice, has immense windage, one bow thruster and no stern thrusters at all. Watching the Pilot, Captain and crew working in an orchestrated harmony was worth the cost of entire cruise. The Captain even called the ship's photographer to the bridge to take complimentary photos.

Archived