Murrays Guide in Skagway

Cruiseskier

We had a party of 5, and the car+Murrays Guide was also the way to go. Cheaper, more flexible, and we got to go to Whitehorse and do a couple of things tour guides would never let you do.

If you're only a party of 2 and you're content with turning around at Emerald Lake, a small van (guided) may be the way to go. It's not that much more expensive, and somebody has to drive. With a car, one person has to drive and one gets to watch. Wildlife spotting is better when you have 4 sets of eyes looking out there. Also, in case you get in an accident, it becomes the tour guide's problem, not yours; and they live there.

We've used Murray's guide the past two years and paid for the updated version for this year's trip. It's extremely helpful and easy to use. He's marks every spot by the mile maker so it's very easy to find what you're looking for.

We find it's better to drive straight out to Emerald lake and then make all of the scenic stops on the way back. Otherwise you might use up all of your time and miss Emerald lake (which is very beautiful).

I only have the guide from 4 years ago, I understand it's been updated... but it definitely added to our road-trips into the Yukon.

We've driven the Klondike Highway a couple of times using the guide and an Avis rental, and we've also taken a guided tour on a small bus. I much prefer to rent a car and use the guide going at our own pace.

I am on a really tight budget and was wondering if anyone who had a Murray's Guide could list some notable mile markers for me. I have a single free day voucher for Avis, so my only cost for a driving excursion would be for gas (which we hope to find a single traveler on board who might be willing to tag along and split fuel costs). $5 might not seem much to most people, but in this economy, every dollar we spend is felt :-( (and to head off any comments about how we shouldn't be taking such trip if our funds are so tight, our cruise was a gift and our flight was covered using reward points). Our budget for incidentals to cover tips and any type of excursions did not go very far with the unexpectedly high cost of everything. So if anyone is willing to share some mile markers for spots that we might miss without the guide, please email me at grommiepie(at)hotmail(dot)com with those mile markers. Yukon/Murray, if you see this post, I hope that you understand and don't get offended that I am trying to get info that is contained within your guide. It is my understanding that the old versions of the guide were free, but I have been unable to locate any of those earlier versions :(

I know Murray's Guide is protected by International copyright laws and any reproduction whole or any part of it, without paying for it, is illegal.

You are asking someone to do something illegal. Please don't.

Cathy

I only have the guide from 4 years ago, I understand it's been updated... but it definitely added to our road-trips into the Yukon.

We've driven the Klondike Highway a couple of times using the guide and an Avis rental, and we've also taken a guided tour on a small bus. I much prefer to rent a car and use the guide going at our own pace.

I have a question....have any Canadians ever done this. I see on Murray's site that we can not rent a car and drive into Canada from the USA we do have one American in the group can we get around this this way??

I am on a really tight budget and was wondering if anyone who had a Murray's Guide could list some notable mile markers for me. I have a single free day voucher for Avis, so my only cost for a driving excursion would be for gas (which we hope to find a single traveler on board who might be willing to tag along and split fuel costs). $5 might not seem much to most people, but in this economy, every dollar we spend is felt :-( (and to head off any comments about how we shouldn't be taking such trip if our funds are so tight, our cruise was a gift and our flight was covered using reward points). Our budget for incidentals to cover tips and any type of excursions did not go very far with the unexpectedly high cost of everything. So if anyone is willing to share some mile markers for spots that we might miss without the guide, please email me at grommiepie(at)hotmail(dot)com with those mile markers. Yukon/Murray, if you see this post, I hope that you understand and don't get offended that I am trying to get info that is contained within your guide. It is my understanding that the old versions of the guide were free, but I have been unable to locate any of those earlier versions :(

When you pick up your rental vehicle in Skagway there will be a small newspaper. On the next to last page are milemarkers and highlights of the Klondike. While not as thorough or as accurate as Murrays Guide - will be better than nothing.

Personally - the $5 is well spent as you have a "souvenier" as well of your trip. We used ours as both a mile marker guide and "tour" narration while in the vehicle. Am now marking the pictures so that we can have the guide - tour so to speak - to go along with our pictures in the scrapbook. Kinda 2 for 1 if you may - guide book, tour guide, souvenier and picture narration!

His guide is also in miles and kilometers which we foun dvery helpful when getting into the Yukon.

Either way it is an incredible drive and I am sure you will enjoy it - no matter what the weather!!

I know Murray's Guide is protected by International copyright laws and any reproduction whole or any part of it, without paying for it, is illegal.

You are asking someone to do something illegal. Please don't.

Cathy

Don't get me wrong, I'm not asking for someone to make a copy for me. I am just asking for someone to advise what are some of the mile markers for things that might be missed if I didn't know about it aforehand.

I have a question....have any Canadians ever done this. I see on Murray's site that we can not rent a car and drive into Canada from the USA we do have one American in the group can we get around this this way??

Yep, if the car rental is in the name of the American, no problem. The American should probably be driving when you cross the borders (if you opt for additional drivers).

I am on a really tight budget and was wondering if anyone who had a Murray's Guide could list some notable mile markers for me.

Here are similar guides that are available free:

http://skagwaynews.com/AK04highwayguide.html

http://www.bellsalaska.com/myalaska/klondikehwy2.html

Yes, have the US citizen rent and drive the car. I believe the regulation is only for the person renting/driving. :)

I am on a really tight budget...

I really hope you budgeted trip insurance into your travel expenses. If the $5 is an issue, then I hope you have plans in place for emergency as the onboard medical clinic isn't inexpensive, and an emergency disembarkation can be very costly.

I know this from experience, and will never cruise without insurance... we are finding out just how nice it is to have had it this last cruise.

Just a thought...

I really hope you budgeted trip insurance into your travel expenses. If the $5 is an issue, then I hope you have plans in place for emergency as the onboard medical clinic isn't inexpensive, and an emergency disembarkation can be very costly.

I know this from experience, and will never cruise without insurance... we are finding out just how nice it is to have had it this last cruise.

Just a thought...

I know that its one of those things that you can't afford not to have..... but there was no way no wiggle room for it :-( this trip is certainly running on a wing and a prayer, so we hope for the best.

good luck grommiepie...our prayers are with you for a safe and memorable trip!

We just decided that it might be best to rent a car and do our own thing in Skagway...thanks for the info on the guides!;)

• 5 years later...

We are Australian and hiring a car in Skagway ( Avis) for the day in 2015. We are hoping to make it to Emerald Lake and back, crossing the border. Does anyone know if this will be a problem? - the Murrays site does not seem to mention it anymore.

Thanks

We are Australian and hiring a car in Skagway ( Avis) for the day in 2015. We are hoping to make it to Emerald Lake and back, crossing the border. Does anyone know if this will be a problem? - the Murrays site does not seem to mention it anymore.

No problem at all.

The previous restriction was on Canadians, not Australians, but the law was changed a while back so now Canadians also can drive rental cars from Skagway into Canada.

There were some posts about it here on Cruise Critic previously when the law was changed.

Have a wonderful cruise and enjoy your drive up to Emerald Lake.

No problem at all.

The previous restriction was on Canadians, not Australians, but the law was changed a while back so now Canadians also can drive rental cars from Skagway into Canada.

There were some posts about it here on Cruise Critic previously when the law was changed.

Have a wonderful cruise and enjoy your drive up to Emerald Lake.

Thanks, we will :-)

yes, we were from Canada. No problem. The guide is very helpful and I had gone over it before hand and highlighted (colourcoded) some things ...e.g. the outhouse stops ;), the must see vista pullovers, the popular bear sighting areas, etc. etc. This was very helpful as the guide is pretty detailed. I downloaded it to my ipad (and highlighted on the adobe reader app). It is worth the $5.

See my photo review here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2078780

I will be getting the Guide for sure. question... do most of you download it onto a Kindle or print it out??

I printed mine out. Mostly because I didn't bring any electronics with me except for a camera. I also highlighted the stops we definitely didn't want to miss.

We have used the guide 2 times for trips up to Emerald Lake and loved it! This time we will be stopping in Haines and would like to explore the roads out of Haines. Does anyone know of a similar guide for Haines? Or could you suggest where we should go to view scenery and wildlife? Thanks!