Forward Facing Cabin, Insignia

A-n-T

Hello Everyone,

I've read a few posts about the Front Facing Cabins on Insignia (Cabins 7000, 7001, etc...). I understand that it might be a little windy and a little noisy specifically when anchoring.

My questions is with regards to night time. Being situated directly under the bridge, do they black out or cover the deck at night so that you cannot see off or use the deck at night?

Another minor question: Do these cabins have WIFI?

Any information would really be appreciated.

Thanks!

-Tobes.

My understanding is that if you have your drapes open with the lights on, you will receive a polite call from the bridge to close your drapes. I would assume that if you have your lights off, having the drapes open would not be a problem. We like to keep our drapes open so we can see what passes in thenight, and we like to lay in bed and look out first thing in the morning. However, I also understand that on certain levels of those forward facing cabins, the crew can see into your cabin.

Based on those reports, you should be able to use your balcony and see whatever there is to see at night, as long as your drapes are closed or your lights are out.

I don't believe you can get out on to any of the forward decks, except at the spa level, where the Thelassotherapy pool is located on the forward deck behind a wind screen, and on the top-most deck if you rent a cabana.

The WIFI situation is always improving as the ships go through refurbishment, but in general, the answer is "no". A few of the cabins near the reception area on deck 4 are able to get WIFI from the lobby area.

We were in 7004 on the Tahitian Princess (same ship/different cruise line) and we were never asked to keep our drapes closed, turn off lights, etc. Also, to our knowledge the crew could not see into our cabin. We could not see any crew unless we were standing at the balcony rail.

The WIFI situation is always improving as the ships go through refurbishment, but in general, the answer is "no". A few of the cabins near the reception area on deck 4 are able to get WIFI from the lobby area.

I have to correct myself. According to the Oceania web site, Insignia now has WIFI access to all cabins. I would expect Regatta and Nautica to follow suit as they are refurbished. I don't know how well Insignia's new system works in all cabins.

We were in 7004 on the Tahitian Princess (same ship/different cruise line) and we were never asked to keep our drapes closed, turn off lights, etc. Also, to our knowledge the crew could not see into our cabin. We could not see any crew unless we were standing at the balcony rail.

Perhaps the Vista Suites, being in the corners, have a different reflection on the bridge. Cabins 6000, 6001, 7000 and 7001 are in the center. I'm basing my response on reports from those who have sailed in these cabins on Oceania, both on Cruise Critic and in private email I had with others who have had these staterooms, back when I was considering them.

Also, I believe it is 6000 and 6001 that are at the forward deck level where crew is not far from the balcony.

Thank-you to everyone for the prompt response.

Really, I gotta tell you, with this website you no longer need any type of "How-To" cruise book. You post a question and people who know answer - it really is excellent.

THANKS!!!

I admit that I have not been on the ship yet, but we are in cabin 6001, and though I expect that someone on the foredeck can see in a little, they are below (the deck is on deck 5) and there is the short wall on the veranda. I would hesitate to run around naked in the cabin -- I don't want to scare anyone -- but their visibility into the cabin has to be somewhat limited.

As I said, I have looked at the deck plans and these are my observations from that data only -- no personal experience YET.

They are great cabins but the noise from the anchor chains (being lowered or raised) is difficult to ignore - especially when it's early in the morning. If that doesn't bother you, then they are good cabins. The crew is busy doing their "thing" rather than spying into the cabins - I never as much saw them look up. Still, running around in your birthday suit may not be advisable.

Hi A.N.T.,

I was in forward-facing cabins on my last two Oceania cruises, Regatta last summer and Insignia this past winter. On both I was on deck 6. On Regatta I had 6001, a standard veranda cabin, and on Insignia I shared a Vista Suite with my mother.

To answer most of the questions: No one can really see in, even on Deck 6. They'd have to be balancing on one foot at the very prow and have binoculars before they could see in to the cabins. I also had a bridge tour and checked to see if anyone on the bridge could see down into the verandas, and no, they can't.

I never had all the overhead lights on but in the veranda cabin (I was sailing alone) I did have one bedside light on late at night. I also tried to keep the sheers pulled across the windows, but I'd occasionally step out onto the veranda and the sheers were pulled open. I never got a call from the bridge but I have heard of others who have... it might be limited to Deck 7 though.

The anchor and bow thruster noise is admittedly jarring, but after the first couple of days, if I was still in bed, I just smiled and turned over. It made me happy, knowing I was at sea on an Oceania vessel! My mother was more affected by the vibration of the clunks than the actual noise because her hearing aid was out :p.

When I was first assigned 6001 I was admittedly not very happy about it but on the first night at sea I decided that I loved it. The views are incredible... straight ahead and on each side. Yes, it is pretty breezy while the ship is underway, but when we were in steamy, sticky Brazil, that was a real benefit for us. (Not so much in the chilly Baltic, though.) I think the "Captain's-Eye" view is worth it.

If I were going to get a standard veranda I'd go for Deck 7 (I found the noise from the showroom below 6001 much more irritating than the mechanical noise). If I get a Vista Suite again, I'd stay on Deck 6. I didn't see one but friends told us that the Deck 7 Vista Suites are much smaller than the ones on Deck 6.

The first photo shows Regatta sailing into Copenhagen and the second shows Insignia sailing into Buzios. It will give you some idea of what you'd be seeing.

Jana

bowview.jpg

buzios dawn.jpg

We were in 7001 on a Panama Canal Transit several years ago.

We got calls and visits from Housekeeping to close our drapes since the light in our cabin was interfering with the bridge. (After the first call, we kept the lights outs and the drapes closed. Housekeeping did not believe us, for whatever reason, and visited the cabin on three separate days to verify that the drapes were closed. We felt vindicated because the Steward had to turn on a flashlight to move around the cabin it was so dark. Our eyes had adjusted to the lack of light.)

You feel a lot of ship motion in this cabin. The wind is strong on the balcony. You normally have to stand to see over the balcony rail. You hear the noise from the anchor chain.

Would we book the cabin again? Yes. The views make everthing worthwhile. (Plus, we love watching all of the crew activity.)

Jana,

Thanks for the in-depth comments. I had figured that nobody could easily look into the cabin from the deck below. DW gets up early anyhow, but I figure that the deck noise will only make sure we are up and ready for the entry into the port and the day's excursions. I had heard conflicting comments about noise from the stage on Deck 5, but cabins 7000 and 7001 were already taken!

As for the white light issue, I have already made plans to deal with that at night. I wouldn't think the bridge would want light anymore from Deck 6 than 7.

Might need some layers while we are steaming at night in the Baltic.

We were in 7001 on a Panama Canal Transit several years ago.

We got calls and visits from Housekeeping to close our drapes since the light in our cabin was interfering with the bridge. (After the first call, we kept the lights outs and the drapes closed. Housekeeping did not believe us, for whatever reason, and visited the cabin on three separate days to verify that the drapes were closed.

That is strange, the Panama Canal crossing takes only 1 day, not 3, why should you close the drapes and shut your room lights for three days?

Meow,

We needed to keep our drapes closed and/or the lights off EVERY night of the cruise, not just during the Panama Canal crossing. For some reason, it took three days to convince the Bridge that we were not the offending cabin. Housekeeping would call to tell us that the light from our cabin was interfering with the Bridge. After 10 minutes or so, a knock would come on our door and someone from Housekeeping would enter the room and check.

I am rather anal about things. After the first call, we closed the drapes and left them closed once the sun went down. We did not light any room lights. I have a little penlight in my suitcase. We would use that to move around the room eventhough the drapes were tightly closed.

(Our Panama Canal Crossing took place mostly during the daylight hours. We entered the Canal at roughly 6:30am and finished the crossing about 8:00pm.)

lcand1923

With what you have said being the case, the cruise line should post those restrictions on their description of vista suites. That constitutes substantial limitation to the enjoyment of those suites not apparent on the existing description or drawings, and should be revealed to potential customers before the ticket purchase.

Does anyone know whether such restrictions for forward facing cabins are true for all ships or just the R ships? If it is the former, then it is a fact of life, and if it is the latter, then it should be considered a design flaw.

P&O (UK) used to put a notice in their brochures that forward facing cabins shold close their drapes at night, as the light could cause problems on the Navigation Bridge.

I believe Princess also has had warnings about the lights in forward facing cabins, but I don't rcall seeing anything recently.

Just to clarify the "why." At night, bridge watch personnel need their night vision. Bright lights, particularly white and non-red lights, make your eyes adjust, thereby destroying your night vision. While the retina will close up almost instantaneously, it takes 30 minutes for it to open completely to provide and/or reestablish maximum night vision.

A red light should cause no concern as the red spectrum does not interfere with night vision -- which is why you will see red lights on on the bridge at night.

Personally, I am going to bring a red light to provide light if we are out on the balcony. Perhaps as a former bridge watch-stander, I am more accepting than the average person.

OTOH, red lights are the standard in such spaces on ships, and it would seem that all ships (not just Oceania) should provide them for cabins with light restrictions. They are more expensive than plain lights (though readily available from marine suppliers), but it would provide an alternative for the people in those cabins. And since most people do not know and/or understand these things, a warning should be given in for occupants of any cabin with such restrictions -- particularly if they are not going to supply such lighting. For passengers it is something new and different, but the cruise line, it is their business!

Meow,

We needed to keep our drapes closed and/or the lights off EVERY night of the cruise, not just during the Panama Canal crossing. For some reason, it took three days to convince the Bridge that we were not the offending cabin.

lcand1923

Did you need to keep the lights off if the drapes were closed?:confused:

Or was it your choice to leave the lights off?

I could see this as a potential hazard for passengers in those cabins.

Lyn

Jana,

I had heard conflicting comments about noise from the stage on Deck 5, but cabins 7000 and 7001 were already taken!

As for the white light issue, I have already made plans to deal with that at night. I wouldn't think the bridge would want light anymore from Deck 6 than 7.

Might need some layers while we are steaming at night in the Baltic.

Ben,

I'd still take Deck 6 if Deck 7 were sold out. The evening noise from the stage didn't bother me much; it was the afternoon rehearsals and activities that bugged me when I was in my cabin. We got very little of the noise in the Vista Suite since the stage is pretty much centered and our suite was starboard. Occasionally we could hear it in the "salon," but barely.

I will say that your trip is one of the best to experience the forward-facing cabins. You have the Kiel Canal, the archipelago around Helsinki, the trip up the Neva and the breathtaking islands around Stockholm. The front verandas are perfect for viewing these spots.

Sigh. I'm soooo ready for the next...

Jana

EDIT: I forgot to mention one caveat... Deck 6 forward facing veranda stateroom have no overhead cover. It rained on six of the 14 days of my cruise, so it was virtually unusable on those days. Just so you know.

We were not in a Vista Suite. We were in Cabin 7001.

I am a follow-up letter writing type of person, so I sent a letter to Oceania suggesting that they post a notice in Cabin 7001 et al about the light problem. I also suggested that they post the notice on their Web Site so that others know ahead of time about the light/drape issue because I felt it would be a safety hazard moving around a cabin without any lights lit.

The first night, we closed the drapes and turned off all lights after I found my penlight.

The second night, we closed the drapes and kept the light on by the cabin door. When we got the call, we turned off that light before Housekeeping visited.

The third night, we closed the drapes and turned off all lights hoping we could avoid the call and Housekeeping visit. We still got the call and visit, but at least that was the last one.

(I know we were getting a bit paranoid, but we figured somehow or other Oceania could tell how much electricity was being used in a cabin and based upon that could figure out if you had any lights lit.)

I don't know if the "light issue" would come from the Vista Suites as well as the cabins between the suites. I know the guest in the cabin next to ours (Cabin 7000) was getting weary of the calls and visits. She kept her drapes closed and the lights out, too. We had a bit of a celebration on our dark balconies when the calls/visits stopped.

That's so odd!

I had my bedside lamp on and the drapes open except for the sheers. I never got a call but I was in 6001; I wonder if that makes a difference?

Jana

Jana,

There had been a previous string on this Message Board about the light/drapes issue. In that string, the only people who reported the calls/visits were those in Cabins 7000 and 7001.

I think the location of the cabin and, possibly, the amount of moonlight and starlight may have something to do with the Bridge having difficulty seeing at night.

All I can say for certain is, on our cruise, the Bridge was having difficulty. Their problem became our problem. The only solution that seemed to solve the problem for the Bridge was for Cabin 7000 and Cabin 7001 to keep their drapes closed and their cabin lights out for the duration of the cruise.

lcand1923

Jana,

There had been a previous string on this Message Board about the light/drapes issue. In that string, the only people who reported the calls/visits were those in Cabins 7000 and 7001.

lcand1923

I do remember that, it was about a year ago because it was just before my cruise in 6001. I kept the drapes closed for the first couple of nights. Then on the third night I conked out before my room was turned down and the room team didn't wake me. The sheers were closed but not the drapes; I had a bedside lamp on too. Since I had received no call, I kept the drapes open with only the sheers closed for the duration of the cruise. I figured that if there were a call I'd just go back to closing the heavy drapes, but I never got one.

I liked waking up to light.

Jana

We were in a Vista Suite last year on a Central America cruise. We never heard anything from the bridge nor any of the other cabins.

We did of course hear the anchors when docking and un docking.

We had a couple of very rough nights also and had waves crashing over our balcony. One night they actually blew the sliding glass doors off their tracks.

Be aware that you really cannot see the ocean when sitting out the huge wrap around balcony. I'm 6'2" and the only way I could see was when standing up.

The cabin itself is fantastic!!

Related to WiFi, have any of you "O" travellers been able to use your IPhones or Blackberry's on board either of the ships? Are any of you Kindle users, and if so, have you been able to download US newspapers from aboard the ship using a UBS with on of the ship's computers (I didn't plan to bring my laptop)? If so, has that been expensive?

Archived