Formal night - sneakers...

monkeyrat100

The way I look at it, there are plenty of options for those that don't want to do the formal night. I personally like getting dressed up...I have no reason in my everyday life to do so! I like that the dining rooms are kept formal...it is the whole experience that is appealing to myself and (I'm sure) others as well. I kinda get a little annoyed (Though not too annoyed. I'm on vacation!) at those that fight to go against the dress code as I think it downgrades the experience a little for those that want to go formal. I love that we are all dressed up.

If there was no alternative to the dining rooms, I'd be more understanding of those that want to stay casual. But hey, the buffets exist, room service, the speciality restaurants, etc. So I'm all for a formal dress code a few nights during the cruise and the enforcement of a few rules.

For what it is worth, not everyone gets their knickers in a knot over what others choose to wear in the main dining rooms. While I always wear a jacket, tie, long dark pants (and shoes), that is my choice. I am not impacted whatsoever by what others choose to wear anymore than I am impacted by what they choose to eat on their plate. Needless to say, there are those who will disagree on both counts. I recall a thread several months ago by "The Food Police" who were upset that Princess had added some so-called comfort foods to the dinner menu. And to think I could be criticized for eating meatloaf!;)

I've been waiting 20 some odd years to be turned away. Do you think it'll happen anytime soon? ;)

If you've read my prior posts, you can see that I don't have any problem with people that dress less than formal would imply. You were the one that suggested that there is a 95% chance that you would be allowed into the dining room. All I'm saying is that if you choose to dress down (although fine with me) don't complain if you are not allowed in the dining room. According to your post, there is a 5% chance that this will happen. Just be willing to accept the consequences of your own choices.

It seems some are more bothered by others not dressing up because this is their only chance to dress to the 9. Life is too short to wait for the next cruise. Here are some occasions that will keep dresses useful

Church - Sundays

Date Night - Once a month

Anniversary - Once a year

Christmas Party - once a year

The 29 again Birthday - Once a year

All those pretty dresses just sitting there in the closet is such a shame. A cruise can be just one more occasion to step out. I think taking the time to dress to the 9 for celebrating your marriage is more meaningful than a 'formal' night on a ship, even if you are eating at Hometown Buffet:p

If you've read my prior posts, you can see that I don't have any problem with people that dress less than formal would imply. You were the one that suggested that there is a 95% chance that you would be allowed into the dining room. All I'm saying is that if you choose to dress down (although fine with me) don't complain if you are not allowed in the dining room. According to your post, there is a 5% chance that this will happen. Just be willing to accept the consequences of your own choices.

OK, sounds good to me.

It seems some are more bothered by others not dressing up because this is their only chance to dress to the 9. Life is too short to wait for the next cruise. Here are some occasions that will keep dresses useful

Church - Sundays

Date Night - Once a month

Anniversary - Once a year

Christmas Party - once a year

The 29 again Birthday - Once a year

All those pretty dresses just sitting there in the closet is such a shame. A cruise can be just one more occasion to step out. I think taking the time to dress to the 9 for celebrating your marriage is more meaningful than a 'formal' night on a ship, even if you are eating at Hometown Buffet:p

To add to that:

Concerts

Theater

Fine dining restaurant

Weddings

Funerals

We just got off the carribbean a few weeks ago and there were many people turned away from the dinning room. If a man did not have on a jacket at dinner then he was turned away at the door on formal nights. The also turned away people on smart casual night for wear shorts. Anyone wearing a hat also had to remove it. We sat by the door every night in anytime and wittnessed this alot.

This is what could happen to you and I do think it happens more than 5% of the time. I wish that this would be enforced consistently throughout the fleet!

This is what could happen to you and I do think it happens more than 5% of the time. I wish that this would be enforced consistently throughout the fleet!

Yeah!! Princess needs to consistently enfornce the rules for proper attire in the dining rooms. If people don't want to dress properly they can o to the buffet or NCL

I have been following this thread for some time and others like it as well What happened to "Live and Let Live?" Who appointed everyone the fashion police? If Princess chooses to enforce the "rules" that is there business. Have you ever gone to a fine restaurant to see those at the next table in jeans and sneakers? Did you enjoy your dinner less? If so, shame on you!

Fashion is often dictated by economics or geography. What is suitable for a wedding in Florida, may be underdressed in NYC. It is also a personal choice. If someone disregards the "suggestions" from the cruise line, that is their worry.

Personally, I would rather sit with or near someone in clean casual clothes than someone with strong cologne, spoutting obsenities chewing with an open mouth!

I will enjoy my cruise that I paid for with hard earned dollars regardless of what anyone wears or doesn't wear, if they drink bootleg or purchased liquor. I hope everyone else enjoys, too! Lighten up!

But I thouht there were no rules. Are you now saying there are rules. Isn't one of them no jeans in the dining room?

Don't care what you call them, rules, suggestions, guidelines - it says jeans are OK on casual evenings.

I like that part since I pick & choose what portions I abide by and being dressed in a suit or tux isn't one of them. :D In case you haven't picked on it I'm one of those people who feel I paid for my vacation & I'll dress as I please.

A dressy occasion is a dressy occasion anywhere. People dress in Florida the same as in

New York for a formal wedding. A casual wedding is less dressy, but still something

nice for the occasion. If I go to a restaurant with stemware, linen tablecloths, and

nice china and silver, I like to have the whole scene fit. That's my objection to people

wearing whatever they like on formal nights. We have had tablemates who laugh at

the more nicely dressed people, and say nobody is going to tell them what to wear.

It's a case of respect, for me. Respect for yourself and for the people around you.

On the other hand, I see people in church dressed to go to the beach or to do chores.

Times are changing, and we have to adjust....whether it's abominable grammar, slobby

clothes in the grocery store, or people who park where they like, or don't keep up

their property. I guess it's going to be a world where each person decides what rules

they will follow, and too bad for anyone who doesn't like it.

I see no reason not to dress up. If you can afford the airfare, the cruise and a week in Alaska pre-cruise, you can afford the baggage fees, it's $30 tops, share a suitcase and split the cost.

My hubby and I went on our first cruise off of a free certificate we got from my parents. We had no extra money for ANYTHING let alone formal clothes so I pulled out an old dress, dressed it up with a $5 shawl and a pair of shoes and I was good to go. My hubby borrowed a jacket from a friend, it didn't fit well (a little snug) but we made it work. We knew we were not the best dressed on the ship but at least we tried! We boarded that cruise with a maxed out credit card, $300 cash (most of which went towards tipping!) and a couple of smuggled bottles. We had a blast!

My point is, if you don't want to dress up, fine. Sucks that the rest of us will be going through the trouble and we have to look at your tennis shoes. BUT, do not make excuses for your not wanting to dress up.

And to those of you that think that the comments are too harsh...the OP knew darn well what they were asking for with a question like that.

The dress on the Star to Alaska was very different that what I had experienced on my other Princess cruises! Especially my last one on the Royal where the Maitre d' was the fashion police and did send folks to the Bistro or an alternative venue if not dress appropriately for the evening!

But I must confess, although I did dress formal on formal night, not everyone did and were still not refused entry to the MDR (anytime dining). And on casual nights I did wear dressy jeans with dressy top (not sparkly or anything, but an executive type blouse), and I was way over dressed compared to half the folks.

I would say pack as you wish and if they refuse, eat at an alternative venue. But my guess is there will be no problem.

VB1

My friend and I will be going to Alaska in July, and he absolutely refuses to dress up for formal night. He is willing to wear a dress shirt and khakis, but will not wear shoes to dinner. Considering that we are only bringing one carry-on bag each with us (refuse to bring luggage with the airline's extra charges nowadays), I'm thinking that I will just be bringing sneakers as well. If we wear a dress shirt, khakis, and sneakers, will we be able to eat in the dining room or will they turn us away? From what I have read, the recommendation for formal night are guidelines rather than mandatory. And they don't mention footwear. I wouldn't mind eating in the buffet if the food is the same, but we both want the lobster tails.

Two other choices not yet mentioned include:

If not in one already, upgrade to a full suite and you can get room service on formal nights which includes everything on the Dining Room menu. Okay probably cheaper to pay the extra baggage fee or rent but you could eat barefoot.

You could do the Ultimate Balcony Dining which includes lobster, steak, etc. If not mistaken I believe the cost is $50 per person. Not sure if you can get this without a balcony but I don't see why not. Sometimes it's too windy to eat on the balcony so people eat inside. Again, an additional cost but much more comfortable. I don't think this is only for couples. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

All suggestions and jokes aside, eat where you want to eat and just enjoy yourselves. I did not see anyone turned away on my recent cruise and I'm sure you would be welcomed even with tennis shoes on. I never looked at anyones feet so could not tell you whether other cruisers were wearing sneakers or not. Another idea would be to place a bandaid on your face somewhere. They will be so busy staring and wondering what happened that they will not see anything else.

Enjoy Alaska!!

For what it is worth, not everyone gets their knickers in a knot over what others choose to wear in the main dining rooms. While I always wear a jacket, tie, long dark pants (and shoes), that is my choice. I am not impacted whatsoever by what others choose to wear anymore than I am impacted by what they choose to eat on their plate. Needless to say, there are those who will disagree on both counts. I recall a thread several months ago by "The Food Police" who were upset that Princess had added some so-called comfort foods to the dinner menu. And to think I could be criticized for eating meatloaf!;)

Personal Choice Cruising...should include making choices that suit you...it is your vacation and your money after all. Like you, I choose to wear a tie on dress nights (ok, my wife chooses for me to wear a tie on dress nights to be perfectly honest) but I have no problem with others making their own choices...including meatloaf.... :)

:)This has been such an interesting thread.

My mother and I were on the Crowne in Europe last July, and thoroughly enjoyed the men in their suits and tuxedos. (There were lots!)

My husband decided he will wear a tux on our cruise this July, and I can't wait to see him in it. I haven't seen him this dressed-up since our wedding. I am looking forward to the formal nights just for this reason.

Archived