Sunbathing

Yes, Carnival has discontinued topless sunbathing. Carnival always used their highest deck, usually around the base of the ship's funnel, as their adults only sunbathing deck. Now it seems they have realized that when they placed the waterslides on their ships, the folks (and little ones) that climbed to the top of the slides got a thrill not only from the ride down but the view from waaay up there. Kinda funny if you ask me.

On our last Princess cruise in 2001, this very nice French couple waltzed out on the pool deck and the young lady majestically removed her top for an afternoon of sun. You should have seen the folks scattering to get their teens and kids away. And you should have seen the hourds of men that just had to "walk by". Hillarious. Within about 20 minutes one of the ship's officers stopped by the couple and evedently explained the rules regarding topless sunbathing. i.e. none. Later that afternoon, the Captain made an announcement that said, "all ladies and gentlemen should be adequatly covered as the sunbathed anywhere on the ship". One of those Captain's announcements that you don't hear everyday on a cruise.

A few days later we stopped at Princess Key. Guess who we saw prancing down the beach topless? What a trip! They were the talk of the ship that week.

--------------------------

Sea ya!

Ron and Lee

Canton, Ga

RCCL Platinum Member

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom,

in water there is bacteria." – Ben Franklin

Previous Cruises

Carnival Mardis Gras - 3 Day Bahamas - April 1982

Carnival Destiny - 7 Days Western Carib. - April 1998

Princess Grand Princess - 7 Days Eastern Carib. - April 1999

Princess Sea Princess - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2000

Princess Grand Princess - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2001

RCCL Navigator of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2003

RCCL Mariner of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - April 2005

RCCL Freedom of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - 6/18 - 6/25/2006

RCCL Liberty of the Seas - 7 Days Eastern Carib. - 7/19 - 7/26/08

Planned Cruises

Something in 2009 - just have not decided yet

RCCL Oasis of the Seas - April 17, 2010

The BIG One - Southeast Asia 14 day - 2011

No, such a shame..............on some European sailings there is the St Tropez deck, but it rarely gets used.

the St Tropez is the best secret on the bigger ships. nice breeze, no crowds, shade if the sun gets to much, convenient toilet and bar

the St Tropez is the best secret on the bigger ships. nice breeze, no crowds, shade if the sun gets to much, convenient toilet and bar

Yeah where is this? I didn't think RCCL Ships named their decks like Carnival and others do. :confused:

Perhaps some of you intrepid travellers could educate me as an enlightened but confused Brit.

This relates to the topless question but in the context of a landbased holiday but is more about attitudes and what is consdiered important.

When in Vegas staying at Caesars, my son and I got literally removed from their "European pool". Son was only 15 years old, and someone had complained that he was in the pool. Wasn't behaving imappropriately, simply wanted him removed.

Ok, I found this bizarre, but respected the rules. My son had, in Europe been on more topless beaches than I could care to imagine in Europe, but nevertheless, as I say, respect the rules of the place that you are in.

The following day, I was walking with my wife around thew same pool, and 4 inebriated guys were sitting in the pool with actual glasses of beer in the pool. No one said or did anything, even though it was the same guards who had ejected us from the pool the day earlier.

It just seemed to me the most peculiar double standards that they considered it more important to remove my son from a pool when he was behaving perfectly well, and were happy to allow 4 drunken adults to put mine and everyone else in danger by allowing them to have glass in a swimming pool.

I just thought it was really odd.

Yeah where is this? I didn't think RCCL Ships named their decks like Carnival and others do. :confused:

it's not really a deck, though there is nothing else up there. it is above deck 12. right above the spa. we use the restrooms outside of the spa. i'm looking at the brochure and it's not even marked on there. the wife found it on the mariner when she was in port and looking for someplace with a breeze. you could probably go topless, no one is ever there

St Tropez is the best place to be if you are going under any low bridges etc, - last year we went under 25th April Bridge at Lisbon and wow it was close! at that moment the st Tropez deck was totally packed with people!

Topless sunbathing is allowed on all decks on RCI ships on European sailings only

We were on two european sailings and have never once encounted topless sun bathing. I would hope not there were many children onboard.

Whenever I read a thread like this - and they crop up from time to time - I never cease to be amazed at the narrow minds and juvenile reactions of some people. I find it incredible that just because somone went topless there were "folks scattering to get their teens and kids away" - what on earth did they think was going to happen, and men walking by several times just because someone was topless :confused: sheesh, they must lead very sheltered lives at home. :rolleyes:

This reminds me of the frequent 'warnings' of what people might see if they dare to venture down to the end of Orient Beach - God forbid there are NAKED bodies there :eek::eek:

I thank goodness that I live in a country where I have 2 teenage boys who don't consider the human body is considered something to be s******ed at or gawped over as if it's some alien form, which is not to say they don't enjoy the odd peep at page 3 ;) - isn't that part of growing up?

Like Garyorient, we've holidayed in many parts of the Med where topless sunbathing is the norm, no big deal. If you don't want to see it don't look. Likewise with the topless deck on a cruise ship - you really don't have to go there. It's tucked away well out of sight :)

For the life of me I can't remember what word I put which began with s in the last post but this board must be extra censurious since it's blanked out most of it and I can assure you it wasn't the least bit rude :confused:

perhaps another example of the different level of prudishness between our two nations ;), hence the difference in acceptance of toplessness

Whenever I read a thread like this - and they crop up from time to time - I never cease to be amazed at the narrow minds and juvenile reactions of some people. I find it incredible that just because somone went topless there were "folks scattering to get their teens and kids away" - what on earth did they think was going to happen, and men walking by several times just because someone was topless :confused: sheesh, they must lead very sheltered lives at home. :rolleyes:

This reminds me of the frequent 'warnings' of what people might see if they dare to venture down to the end of Orient Beach - God forbid there are NAKED bodies there :eek:

I thank goodness that I live in a country where I have 2 teenage boys who don't consider the human body is considered something to be s******ed at or gawped over as if it's some alien form, which is not to say they don't enjoy the odd peep at page 3 ;) - isn't that part of growing up?

Like Garyorient, we've holidayed in many parts of the Med where topless sunbathing is the norm, no big deal. If you don't want to see it don't look. Likewise with the topless deck on a cruise ship - you really don't have to go there. It's tucked away well out of sight :)

That somebody feels differently about the issue of public nudity doesn't make them juvenile or narrow-minded. I wouldn't be alarmed if I saw somebody nude by the pool or at the beach, but I understand that many people, especially older generations, do not wish to see the nudity of others, and I don't think it's a juvenile reaction at all. Modesty is a dearly-held virtue in religions like Christianity and Islam, and those two religions have quite a few followers worldwide.

If a person is on a topless sunbathing deck, then I don't think there's any problem with taking their top off-- heck, I'd probably pop up there to catch some rays from time to time :cool:-- but nudity should be reserved for those areas of the ship where it's designated. It's just a matter of respect for your fellow passengers.

This reminds me of the frequent 'warnings' of what people might see if they dare to venture down to the end of Orient Beach - God forbid there are NAKED bodies there :eek::eek:

Here Here

Archived