Sunbathing

It is funny the difference in attitudes between Americans and the rest of the world. I lived in France for a year when I was in 5th grade, and I was the only girl to take swimming lessons in a suit WITH a top! Boy, did I get funny looks.

That year we went to a beach that we did not realize was clothing-optional. We came out of the water (my brother was 6) and there was a very naked man sitting spread-eagle. When asked to tell his class about his time in France at the beginning of the next school year, my brother told everyone about the "naked man with a big weiner." :eek:

We were on two european sailings and have never once encounted topless sun bathing. I would hope not there were many children onboard.

Why? Would they be scarred for life at seeing the human body?

Perhaps some of you intrepid travellers could educate me as an enlightened but confused Brit.

This relates to the topless question but in the context of a landbased holiday but is more about attitudes and what is consdiered important.

When in Vegas staying at Caesars, my son and I got literally removed from their "European pool". Son was only 15 years old, and someone had complained that he was in the pool. Wasn't behaving imappropriately, simply wanted him removed.

Ok, I found this bizarre, but respected the rules. My son had, in Europe been on more topless beaches than I could care to imagine in Europe, but nevertheless, as I say, respect the rules of the place that you are in.

The following day, I was walking with my wife around thew same pool, and 4 inebriated guys were sitting in the pool with actual glasses of beer in the pool. No one said or did anything, even though it was the same guards who had ejected us from the pool the day earlier.

It just seemed to me the most peculiar double standards that they considered it more important to remove my son from a pool when he was behaving perfectly well, and were happy to allow 4 drunken adults to put mine and everyone else in danger by allowing them to have glass in a swimming pool.

I just thought it was really odd.

Unfortunately, Americans are often taught to be ashamed of their bodies. Nudity is reserved for sexual situations, rather than being a normal part of life. Obviously, there's no reason to wear a top (or bottom for that matter) while sunbathing, but in the US, people are taught that there's something wrong with this (they're just never taught specifically what the problem is).

Here in Sydney, I worked with a guy from Florida some years ago. Between the topless girls ("white pointers") on the beach, and the waitresses not being required to wear stockings ("they have nothing on under those skirts apart from their panties!!!" :eek:), the poor guy was a mess of out of control hormones. One of the funniest things I've ever experienced.

But we did get to have lunch down at the beach on many, many days! :p

For the life of me I can't remember what word I put which began with s in the last post but this board must be extra censurious since it's blanked out most of it and I can assure you it wasn't the least bit rude :confused:

perhaps another example of the different level of prudishness between our two nations ;), hence the difference in acceptance of toplessness

:p Yes that's happened to me. There are some words that just don't cross the Atlantic well (both ways!)

What does "hope there were no children aboard" have to do with topless. I have lived my entire life on a beach and have never understood why topless is an issue. It is not allowed in Virginia Beach but the tops that are sported by young women are as close to nudity as a stripper was when I was a teen. Parents allow their children to be in close proximity.

Please don't lump all Americans into the same prudish category. We have vacationed on European and Caribbean beaches and hardly notice those who are topless. Many Americans have a hang-up about about the human body but not all of us. I agree that the older generation may be the most strict...heck, while watching the Travel Channel with my 89 year old mom and the David was shown she exclaimed, "Oh my God, he is naked." :eek: Yep, that's a typical American reaction.

Last year, while on the beach at Labadee a group of European women were topless. No one ushered their children away. Maybe Labadee brings out the best in people (no pun intended).

Unfortunately, Americans are often taught to be ashamed of their bodies. Nudity is reserved for sexual situations, rather than being a normal part of life. Obviously, there's no reason to wear a top (or bottom for that matter) while sunbathing, but in the US, people are taught that there's something wrong with this (they're just never taught specifically what the problem is).

I think that is probably true but I wasn't being critical of that aspect, as each country has their own views and that is quite reasonable.

I was more concerned that the poolside staff and clearly the swimmers thought that it was unacceptable for my son to be swimming in a pool where they may be naked breasts on show, but tthey were totally oblivious to what was in my view a far greater potential risk to him of people with glass actually in a swimming pool.

I just thought that maybe they needed to prioritise

No, that's not true. Just because some people don't enjoy seeing complete strangers naked does not mean they are taught there is something wrong with bodies.

I think that is probably true but I wasn't being critical of that aspect, as each country has their own views and that is quite reasonable.

I was more concerned that the poolside staff and clearly the swimmers thought that it was unacceptable for my son to be swimming in a pool where they may be naked breasts on show, but tthey were totally oblivious to what was in my view a far greater potential risk to him of people with glass actually in a swimming pool.

I just thought that maybe they needed to prioritise

Some Vegas hotels have apparently started making "adults only" pools and I think that must be one of them. The point of the pools and their parties is to allow people to come and drink all day and be "risque" and they probably thought that having a 14 year old boy there would be "weird." Again, that's an American modesty thing. Not saying that it's right, but it's just our different culture.

Some Vegas hotels have apparently started making "adults only" pools and I think that must be one of them. The point of the pools and their parties is to allow people to come and drink all day and be "risque" and they probably thought that having a 14 year old boy there would be "weird." Again, that's an American modesty thing. Not saying that it's right, but it's just our different culture.

No! No! No!

This isn't a modesty issue. Honestly I am not questioning the modesty side of things. As sandytoes says, some people just do not enjoy seeing naked people, and I make her exactly right. I am just questioning which is actually more importrant.

Drunken people in a pool with glasses that could literally be smashed in the pool or at the pool side is a far greater potential risk as far as I am concerned, than a youngster in a topless pool.

We are not talking about outside the pool. I am literally talking about in the pool with glasses in the hand. To my mind that is a huge Health and Safety issue.

No! No! No!

This isn't a modesty issue. Honestly I am not questioning the modesty side of things. As sandytoes says, some people just do not enjoy seeing naked people, and I make her exactly right. I am just questioning which is actually more importrant.

Drunken people in a pool with glasses that could literally be smashed in the pool or at the pool side is a far greater potential risk as far as I am concerned, than a youngster in a topless pool.

We are not talking about outside the pool. I am literally talking about in the pool with glasses in the hand. To my mind that is a huge Health and Safety issue.

I totally agree with you! I'm just trying to explain what I think was the--messed up--reasoning. It makes no sense, but I know there is a party on Sunday called "Rehab" at another hotel and the purpose of it is to get as drunk as you can at the pool. I think the point is that the hotel is going to make a lot more money off alcohol off those guys drinking alcohol since your 14 year old can't drink. It's not right, and of course it's a safety issue. But it's Vegas!!! :D

I totally agree with you! I'm just trying to explain what I think was the--messed up--reasoning. It makes no sense, but I know there is a party on Sunday called "Rehab" at another hotel and the purpose of it is to get as drunk as you can at the pool. I think the point is that the hotel is going to make a lot more money off alcohol off those guys drinking alcohol since your 14 year old can't drink. It's not right, and of course it's a safety issue. But it's Vegas!!! :D

Yep, and even though I am not a prennial complainer at all I took this up very politely with the duty manager and got 4 nights comped in a suite for my Silver Wedding which was in the October,

What is the age limit on the Waterslide?

And a related question.....do they sell water-proof cameras on board....

There recent commercial shows a man who looks about 35 on the slide, so I would say at least 35 :confused:

It is funny the difference in attitudes between Americans and the rest of the world.

Its not the nudity, its those who are nude, egad cover it up please, why don't the good looking ones go around nude! Of the topless beach goers I've seen they all seem to be way past their prime, gravity is not your friend after a certain age...:p

That's ridiculous.....although some people (not just Americans) should be ashamed of their bodies:p:D And those are usually the ones sun bathing topless on a cruise ship;)

Whenever I read a thread like this - and they crop up from time to time - I never cease to be amazed at the narrow minds and juvenile reactions of some people. I find it incredible that just because somone went topless there were "folks scattering to get their teens and kids away" - what on earth did they think was going to happen, and men walking by several times just because someone was topless :confused: sheesh, they must lead very sheltered lives at home. :rolleyes:

This reminds me of the frequent 'warnings' of what people might see if they dare to venture down to the end of Orient Beach - God forbid there are NAKED bodies there :eek::eek:

I thank goodness that I live in a country where I have 2 teenage boys who don't consider the human body is considered something to be s******ed at or gawped over as if it's some alien form, which is not to say they don't enjoy the odd peep at page 3 ;) - isn't that part of growing up?

Like Garyorient, we've holidayed in many parts of the Med where topless sunbathing is the norm, no big deal. If you don't want to see it don't look. Likewise with the topless deck on a cruise ship - you really don't have to go there. It's tucked away well out of sight :)

I agree. We Americans are a particularly screwed up lot.

One day we will grow up and join the rest of the world.

I agree. We Americans are a particularly screwed up lot.

One day we will grow up and join the rest of the world.

yeah growing up = showing our bare breasts :confused: riiiiight.

Frankly, I don't have any problems with 'nudity' - I just don't don't care to see a bunch of semi-naked women on my vacation - sorry. :D Be naked somewhere else and leave me out of it.

I wonder where the 'irate about dining room attire people' are here?

yeah growing up = showing our bare breasts :confused: riiiiight.

Frankly, I don't have any problems with 'nudity' - I just don't don't care to see a bunch of semi-naked women on my vacation - sorry. :D Be naked somewhere else and leave me out of it.

I wonder where the 'irate about dining room attire people' are here?

Growing up is not freaking out about it.

Its not the nudity, its those who are nude, egad cover it up please, why don't the good looking ones go around nude! Of the topless beach goers I've seen they all seem to be way past their prime, gravity is not your friend after a certain age...:p

I hear you! Except if you go to South Beach...But on a cruise, most of us should just cover up. :eek:

Archived