Carnival no longer doing Southbound?

cage keeper

I am compairing all the lines here and thought of trying Carnival for a return from Seward/Whittier to Vancouver and can not find them for 2010. They do have them for this year with great prices.

Carnival is only doing round trips out of Seattle starting in 2010 - no more NB/SB between Whittier and Vancouver.

Carnival is switching to round trips as they are more profitable. Keeps the spending on the boat!

Many Alaskans in the tourist industry are unhappy about this as it really hurts employment for people who work in land tours, transportations, shops and outings.

In my opinion it also has to do with the cost of flights and filling the ships. The cost for flights can be very expensive and more than the cost of the cruise.

I think you're on to something. Some blame the state's new port tax but I can't see that having much of an impact when you realize people pay $75.00 or more on a cruise just to rent a tuxedo.

I think the problem ties in the cost of flights and hotels. There are hotels at Denali and Seward that charge nearly$300.00 per night and that can easily add up. For locals, even trips on the Alaska Railroad have skyrocketed in price in the last few years.

The deals quickly evaporate when you figure in excursions, souvenirs, food when not on the ship, etc.

Cruise ships leaving Seattle have to be R/T.

I agree with pp, R/T airfare to Seattle is generally much cheaper then open jaw airfare--to Vancouver and back from Anchorage. Ground transportation to Anchorage is more expensive then transfers to SEA. Princess wound up adding some cruisetours this year that started with ground transportation from Seattle to Vancouver and ended with included air from ANC or FAI to SEA. SEA also avoids Vancouver custom delays. Passengers who cruise out of SEA are technically exempt from the passport requirement, although passports are still the best way to go.

I think you're on to something. Some blame the state's new port tax but I can't see that having much of an impact when you realize people pay $75.00 or more on a cruise just to rent a tuxedo.

That may be true... but no one I know who's sailed Alaska ever rented a tuxedo. In short, a budget is a budget. If we budget $1,500 pp for Alaska, that's it. When cruise, air, taxes, fees, etc take the majority, so be it. We don't spend excessively onboard ($22 total last month besides gratuities and medical) so whatever we have left is our fun money to spend on excursions. :)

I had forgotten all about this, but 2 weeks ago we were in Hawaii, and happened to be talking to a couple from Vancouver. According to them, the cruise port in Vancouver was going to be phased out rather than improved/fixed (I don't know what's wrong with it). I was shocked (and didn't really believe it), but maybe it's true.

I had forgotten all about this, but 2 weeks ago we were in Hawaii, and happened to be talking to a couple from Vancouver. According to them, the cruise port in Vancouver was going to be phased out rather than improved/fixed (I don't know what's wrong with it). I was shocked (and didn't really believe it), but maybe it's true.

There are two cruise terminals in Vancouver: Canada Place and Ballantyne Pier. If what they told you is true, and I am not certain that it is,:rolleyes: I suspect that they were talking about Ballantyne which is much older and less of a modern facility than Canada Place.:)

Even if it is only Ballytine, I am disappointed to see any ships pulled from Vancouver. Sailing between Vancouver Island and the mainland is so very scenic. We definitely missed that on our Seattle sailing this year.

Even if it is only Ballytine, I am disappointed to see any ships pulled from Vancouver. Sailing between Vancouver Island and the mainland is so very scenic. We definitely missed that on our Seattle sailing this year.

I agree. The last day of our southbound cruise from Whittier to Vancouver was my favorite.:)

Bottom line. Alaska has been in oversupply with cruiseships for several years. Just about every line is pulling ships from next season, with rates going to be up, where they want them. This is the year to go, if you want the bargains. They will be slim next season.

Roger booked a northbound cruise this year as a cheap way to get home to Alaska while seeing parts of Alaska he has never seen. It was this year or never for this plan.

He won't be buying any tours or spending any money that he doesn't have to spend, but he will get the sightseeing.

Prices for next year will be much higher.

Prices for next year will be much higher.

I am sure you are correct, as I can't believe they could go any lower. However, last year, I kept reading on these boards how last years prices were so low and not to expect them to be that low in 2009. Well, lo and behold, look what happened. I could have gotten my same itinerary this year for half of what I paid last year. I am still working on DH to go back this year on a different itinerary. So far, no luck. :(

I am sure you are correct, as I can't believe they could go any lower. However, last year, I kept reading on these boards how last years prices were so low and not to expect them to be that low in 2009. Well, lo and behold, look what happened. I could have gotten my same itinerary this year for half of what I paid last year. I am still working on DH to go back this year on a different itinerary. So far, no luck. :(

Prices were very low on some weeks last year, Princess ran their $399/499 specials. This season is all weeks. Why not go with someone else. I never "drag" anyone along who doesn't want to go. :)

My husband didn't want to return to Alaska after our first cruise 2 years ago, so I went with friends last year and last month!

Sailing between Vancouver Island and the mainland is so very scenic. We definitely missed that on our Seattle sailing this year.

Just off the Millenium from 5/29-6/05. We were following the Infinity, which does the rt/SEA. We were northbound. I don't know which way the Infinity returned to SEA, but they definately went between Vancouver Island & Canada going north.

Archived