2am~and the website goes to sleep??

Napi's Mom

Does anybody else have this problem...the Cruise Critic Website virtually doesn't work after 2am central time on MY computer...not the computer 'cause all the other sites work fine!

I think it's a board update. It does it every day. Falls over for about an hour. Happens at 8am here in the UK.

Phil

As Phil has said, it happens around 8am in the UK.

On the one hand, that's annoying. On the other hand, and putting on my other hat as a technical/operations manager for a software company, I also know that it's sometimes necessary to to restart web applications: it can be the easiest way to recover memory, reset pointers, etc, etc. Basically, errors accumulate during running-time and restarting the app is the simplest way to remove them.

There are some other things you can do: either throw huge amounts of hardware at the problem, or optimise the code to remove (or at least minimise) memory leaks, database errors, etc. But both of these can be expensive, so while you've probably got no choice in the case of an on-line banking or goods-ordering system, you might well decide to go for the cheaper (but user-frustrating) option of an overnight restart for a discussion forum.

That's 5 p.m. which is probably why I notice it a fair bit... but it seems to go down/not respond at times prior to that too.

I had only twice access to the site couple days ago and couldn´t register,too. The computer send only error messages.

Happilly, I am also asleep at 2:00 A.M.

I'm a night person, and never slept well in the early AM hrs (Actually the female part of my extended family are all "night Owls" IF we can be, when working I had to be up at 6, never functioned well, and started to fall asleep at 3:30 or 4 Pm...which is NOT good as a School bus driver!!)

Glad to know everyone has this problem. I had MANY nights pounding on keyboard...and just "waiting for anything" till my usually quicker brain, realized it was EXACTLY 2am every time it just stopped, hadn't checked the time mostly, knew my DH would think...and so did I...that "Guess it's time to hit the hay"...HE'S NOT a night owl and so our breakfast Hrs. are irregular to say the least, but as we're retired it doesn't matter so much...:D

Does anybody else have this problem...the Cruise Critic Website virtually doesn't work after 2am central time on MY computer...not the computer 'cause all the other sites work fine!

Thank you for asking this question. I am happy to know that it was not my server.:D

Archived