Kenai Fjords National Park

Sugar&Buddy

Who is this "someone"??? They don't know what they are talking about. The "glacier" viewing with Kenai Fjords boat tours is only a small portion of the overall trip. The information on this board is accurate.

I booked the Renown tours 6 hour Kenai because the boat is a catamaran - more stable. I'm intimately acquainted with rough water/small boat in Florida (Peace River estuary), and it's not pretty. OTOH, I don't want to miss this unique opportunity.

PennyAgain, what boat/company did you have all the problems with?

I booked the Renown tours 6 hour Kenai because the boat is a catamaran - more stable. I'm intimately acquainted with rough water/small boat in Florida (Peace River estuary), and it's not pretty. OTOH, I don't want to miss this unique opportunity.

PennyAgain, what boat/company did you have all the problems with?

Sorry- these can and do also encounter rough sailing with plenty of people sick on these tours. I see ill people EVERY trip. "More stable"??? makes no difference since the routes of these trips, ALL have to cross a noted rough section of the gulf.

Thanks, BQ, for modifying my expectations. That's why these boards (and posters like you) are so valuable.

Looks like I should have waited to 'til the day, looked at the weather and risked having the tours sold out. At least I'm now forewarned.

Is there any way to judge from where the cruise ships dock in Seward what the conditions will be like in the rough spots? I didn't plan on using the ship's internet. I'd rather blow off the $130 than be wretched for 6 hours.

Don't let people getting sick stop you from taking this tour. For me it was the highlight of Seward and you will be sorry if you miss it!!!! I know rough weather is always expected but the day we went it wasn't that bad but my wife and I were prepared.

Hi,

I just got back from Alaska and we did the Renown tour on May 28. I was especially impressed with the ranger program they had for the children. They kept the children actively engaged looking for specific animals and playing games. At the end the Ranger had a little "graduation" ceremony where he presented each child with a junior ranger badge and a certificate. The children really seemed to have a great time and I was wishing that I was 8 yrs. old!!

On that particular day we saw tons of wildlife; 3 kinds of whales, puffins, sea lions, sea otters, a bear and mountain goats in the distance. But every day is different so you have to be willing to take a chance and make your own fun. I don't suffer with seasickness so for me the boat ride itself in such beautiful surroundings makes for a very pleasant afternoon and the glaciers are gorgeous.

Ultimately only you can decide if you would be miserable with little wildlife sightings or rough seas. Unfortunately there are no guarantees with nature. For me it is always worth the chance and I have often been rewarded. Then again I could be happy just meeting new people.

Good Luck with your decision and I hope it works out well for you!

Thanks, BQ, for modifying my expectations. That's why these boards (and posters like you) are so valuable.

Looks like I should have waited to 'til the day, looked at the weather and risked having the tours sold out. At least I'm now forewarned.

Is there any way to judge from where the cruise ships dock in Seward what the conditions will be like in the rough spots? I didn't plan on using the ship's internet. I'd rather blow off the $130 than be wretched for 6 hours.

The day we went out we had very smooth sailing on the way out. However, coming back was another story. So, I am not sure you can really predict. Just talk with your doctor, choose some precautions that the doc approves of for you and go have a great time.

I was severly seasick on one occasion in my life, so I made sure I was prepared for my Kenai Fjords trip. I was taking Bonine for the week prior on my cruise and used wrist bands. I am not sure either worked, as I became queasy a few times on the ship. What I know did work was the ginger root capsules I took immediately upon feeling queasy. They did the trick every time. I had to take them several times on our 9 hour Kenai Fjords trip. I was SO GLAD I had decided to bring them as one of my precautions. We hit 7-8 foot waves and the boat was rocking, rolling and slamming down on the water. It was actually a fun ride if you weren't feeling ill. Unfortunately, many on our boat were sick. I was so happy I could enjoy my trip. Even my DH, who was using the patch became queasy. The ginger root capsules worked for him too. He thought the 6 hour tour would have been long enough. I enjoyed the 9 hour tour and would go again if I had the opportunity. I don't know the statistics of how often you hit rough waters. I do know we met some people on our trip who lived outside of Anchorage. They said they had been on numerous Kenai Fjords tours over the years, and this was the first time they hit such rough conditions.

Just talk with your doctor and you should be fine. It is a great trip!!!

I didn't see anyone sick on my recent Renown tour (June 4, 09). Catamarans are quite stable.

Pics can be found on these pages:

Page2 - Homewood Suites area, Renown tour - Bus to Seward, Seward area, Otters, Glaciers, Goats, Birds, Seals, Orcas

Page3 - Renown Tour - Orcas, False Penguins, Humpback, Dall's Porpoise, Puffins and other birds, Seals, Glacier, Train from Seward to Anchorage

Don't let people getting sick stop you from taking this tour. For me it was the highlight of Seward and you will be sorry if you miss it!!!! I know rough weather is always expected but the day we went it wasn't that bad but my wife and I were prepared.

What did you take with you to be prepared? I have never been seasick, nor has my family, but from these responses, maybe it would be good to take something just in case. Should you take Bonine before the trip just in case? Or does it work AFTER you get sick?

Thanks!

What did you take with you to be prepared? I have never been seasick, nor has my family, but from these responses, maybe it would be good to take something just in case. Should you take Bonine before the trip just in case? Or does it work AFTER you get sick?

Thanks!

From what I have read the Bonine will not do much once you are sick. If it does work, it can take awhile and in the mean time you are pretty miserable. If you are to the point of vomitting, the Bonine won't stay down, so it will never get absorbed into your system in order to help at all. Many people start it a few days before their cruises. I started mine the night before.

Until I was on a ferry crossing Lake Michigan, I had never been sea sick either. I had been on trains, planes, boats, all the crazy amusement park rides and nothing had ever made me motion sick. That one ferry crossing really did me in and totally caught me off guard!!!

That is why I discussed my options with my doctor before heading to Alaska. If your doc says you can use ginger root, I highly recommend. ( I bought mine at the local health food store and took 2 capsules whenever I felt queasy. I think they were around 450-500 mg each). Fortunately it never escalated into anything serious and always settled my stomach right down. Many people take it just before doing whatever might cause them to get motion sick. Some even start it a few days before. I really don't see the need for starting it that far ahead. However, next time, I think I would take it about a half hour before a trip that was known to cause sea sickness. Then I would be very aware of any queasiness and take more immediately. Again, once you are to the point of vomitting, you won't be able to get anything aborbed into your system. If you were on a cruise they have medical staff to give you injections, but on a tour boat that is not an option.

I have been violently sea sick in the past and I was able to do very well on the Kenai Fjords tour inspite of the fact that many others were sick. As I mentioned, I had been using Bonine every evening for the week prior, I wore wrist bands and I took the ginger root when queasy. I have no idea exactly how much the Bonine and wrist bands worked since I still got queasy. Maybe they helped some, maybe they didn't. However, using all three, I did avoid seasickness and had a great tour!!! Be sure to check with your doctor as to what is okay for you and your family to take.

Where do you get ginger root capsules? We couldn't find them at CVS or some of the drugstores in supermarkets. Do we have to get them in a health store?

Did you ask the pharmcist at CVS? If they don't carry something, often they can order them for you. My local Mejier (similar to a Walmart) will order products for you at the pharmacy that they don't carry. I often get them in a day or two. I know they are on drugstore.com's website and that is connected with RiteAid. I would check places like Target, Kmart, too.

If no where else:

ginger root

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=41333&catid=9802

Meclizine Hydrochloride is the active ingredient in Bonine and non-drowsy Dramamine. You can buy the generic much cheaper and for that matter, the ship will hand you some for free.

All of them are best taken BEFORE you feel queasy.

I used nothing and was fine.

We've been out on several boats over the years as we take advantage of off season price specials. As a rule none of us get seasick although if several people are seasick that can make you feel really awful. My concern now that several of us are in the elder catagory is falls. We are very, very careful when on boats and ships. Our one method of staying balanced on ships and boats is to always have one hand holding on.

We do pack along ginger cookies, as they work well if you can handle the sugar.

Thanks vbmom87 for your detailed reply. Like you, I do all the amusement park rides - love roller coasters, esp at Cedar Point. But still, boats are boats. So I will definitely do the ginger capsules. Thanks again to all the responses! I love this board!

We just got back and did the 6 hour tour with Kenai Fjords. It was amazing!! It was one of the absolute highlights of our trip. We saw humpbacks breeching, sat in the middle of an orca pod, saw finback whales. Mountain goats, puffins, and even a bear! My husband is one who has a fairly short attention span and even he loved it. We didn't have any problems with rough seas. The only part was when we were getting in close to the glacier, we were asked to sit down so that the boat could swerve around the chunks of ice in the water. It was our first day and we were worried that the rest of the trip would disappoint us because of how wonderful it was. (It didn't)

Enjoy!!

We just got back and did the 6 hour tour with Kenai Fjords. It was amazing!! It was one of the absolute highlights of our trip. We saw humpbacks breeching, sat in the middle of an orca pod, saw finback whales. Mountain goats, puffins, and even a bear! My husband is one who has a fairly short attention span and even he loved it. We didn't have any problems with rough seas. The only part was when we were getting in close to the glacier, we were asked to sit down so that the boat could swerve around the chunks of ice in the water. It was our first day and we were worried that the rest of the trip would disappoint us because of how wonderful it was. (It didn't)

Enjoy!!

You were very fortunate to have smooth waters and great wildlife viewing. Thanks for sharing your experience.

I didn't see anyone sick on my recent Renown tour (June 4, 09). Catamarans are quite stable.

Pics can be found on these pages:

Page2 - Homewood Suites area, Renown tour - Bus to Seward, Seward area, Otters, Glaciers, Goats, Birds, Seals, Orcas

Page3 - Renown Tour - Orcas, False Penguins, Humpback, Dall's Porpoise, Puffins and other birds, Seals, Glacier, Train from Seward to Anchorage

I enjoyed your pictures nolaAlive!

We did the Kenai Fjords tour on May 23. We were supposed to do the all day trip, but they cancelled it to the shorter tour because of super high waves.

Well, I didn't expect to get sick. I even ate the big buffet.

Huge mistake! I was so sick!

But when we got into calmer waters, I felt much better.

While I was so sick, I just stayed up on deck - in the rain - and watched the trees (NOT the waves) and breathed in fresh air. Everytime I thought I was ok and went back downstairs, I got sick again.

The young men who work for Major Marine are so nice. They gave me ginger candy - which didn't stay down unfortunately- and even loaned me a waterproof coat to wear.

I would do this tour again, but next time take dramamine for a few days ahead of time. (I had taken Bonine, but it apparently didn't work).

I also think that being tired from travel played a part in why I was so sick.

Anyone know much of the 6-hour Renown Tour is spent in open ocean/potentially rough waters? Also, would this tour be a bad idea for a 2.5 year-old? Thanks.

Depends on what you want to do...but think a 2 yr old would get bored. There is inside, but I wanted photos, and ended up with a baysitter (Capt. Daughter) because they were afraid I'd go overboard (Railings were quite low some places, and while doing photos, the ship lurched and my camera & I did almost fly over!) Realized this little redhead was sent to babysit after she spent the rest of the tour with me until I went back inside to eat our lunch!:D Yes quite a bit was spent open water and was rough

Archived