Adult soft drinks?

Boo Boo

We are sailing Regent next month, to Alaska, but I will be pregnant... so looking for some suggestions for what to drink in the bars or with dinner (water gets a little boring sometimes).

I don't have a very sweet tooth... if I was in a bar normally (and non-pregnant), I would probably have a glass of champagne or maybe a mojito or margarita. I also tend to avoid carbonated drinks.

I suppose that Regent would do a "vigin margarita", but what else would you suggest? So I can sit in a bar/lounge/restaurant, in the evening, and enjoy a nice drink?

Thanks

Boo

Good morning Boo Boo,

congrats on your pregnancy! When I was pregnant and we were at parties, I always enjoyed a spritzer with cranberry juice. You could have the bartender add soda water, sparkling water, ginger ale (yum), 7-Up...

i also like the combination of cran and orange juice with something sparkling in it.

Just a thought--enjoy your cruise!

Virgin marys come to mind. Not sure if the lack of sweet tooth preclude fresh juices, but the pineapple juice on the ship is divine, and lends itself to blending with other stuff. Virgin colada would be one of my faves, perhaps a bit too sweet for you, perhaps they can make you one from scratch, instead of using the mix they usually use.

Thank you both :). It is very early days (almost 7 weeks), so still very much in "fingers crossed" territory... First scan next Wednesday - hoping to get a little reassurrance then. Will book another scan for 11.5 weeks - just before we leave for the trip.

A sort of spritzer sounds good: Cranberry is appealing. I like ginger ale too - so that is an option. Will have to see how I feel with fizzy stuff though: I am trying to avoid bloating as much as possible at the moment and carbonated drinks can be bad for bloating.

Tomato juice... not at the moment, but pregnancy does very odd things to your tastes (as I am discovering), so will bear it in mind.

Pineapple juice is generally too sweet for me, but might be ok in small doses (will try a virgin colada). LOVE fresh orange juice - is it good on Regent?

Boo

In the mornings, on the upper deck by the pool, they have a smoothie machine and all sorts of fruits and veges which can be made into smoothies. Also good fresh squeezed oj. My husband got addicted to his morning smoothie.

Hi Rachel, that's great to know about the smoothies! thanks. :)

Boo--take good care and all will be fine! First few months can be rough on the tummy and your energy level, but then your appetite and energy come back with a vengeance! Hopefully that's about the time you are on the cruise. :) PS You're right about pregnancy and weird cravings. When I was pregnant with one my two, I had an urge for linguine and clam sauce. I'd never even eaten it before. Had to get a recipe, get the ingredients and make it myself and my husband had his eyebrows up like "what are you making?". Ate it, loved it at the time, and have never had an urge to eat it again.

In the mornings, on the upper deck by the pool, they have a smoothie machine and all sorts of fruits and veges which can be made into smoothies. Also good fresh squeezed oj. My husband got addicted to his morning smoothie.

Hi Rachel! Is there a smoothie machine on the Navigator? My boys will be hanging out there I'm afraid!

AHA!

So making a virgin long island iced tea would be akin to making a virgin martini.

You lot are funny :)

I could have a virgin champagne, but it wouldn't be a very tall drink... ;)

Smoothies sound good during the day though - good to learn about :)

Boo

Hi Boo-

that's a tough one. I'm on board Mariner right now, and 20 weeks pregnant, but I have a sweet tooth and love carbonated drinks. I've been having a soda water-pineapple juice-cranberry-juice with lime spritzer, or we bring fresh bananas and strawberries to the bars for smoothies - or just the simple soda water with lime. One drink I also like that isn't sweet but has soda is soda water-lime-mint (basically a virgin mojito without the sweetness) but I haven't tried ordering it yet- unclear if they have fresh mint in the bars - Voyager did not when I was on it last year. But if I decide I want it, they can usually set up a standing order for things like mint and fresh fruit for a particular bar so it's waiting. (for example: yesterday we put in a standing order for fresh bananas in the observation lounge, so they were waiting for us today).

who knows- by then you may be craving sweet and carbonation after all -I've been a fruit freak since 10 weeks along - I was making fresh squeezed orange juice every morning for breakfast which I had never done before. Then I heard that craving fruit is a sign it's a girl, and low and behold, it is :-).

Unfortunately tonic water is not advised during pregnancy - because of the quinine. Probably, like most things, it would be ok in small doses... but the advice is to avoid it altogether.

Thanks for your suggestions, Jina. I like the idea of a sort of "less sweet" Virgin Mojito... I may well grow on the fruit idea. At the moment I am more into "running" drinks than "thick" drinks (if that makes sense), but that may settle down :)

Boo

Archived