WHO declare Swine flu a Pandemic.

HMSDingy

Its everywhere already. How is travelling going to put someone at greater risk?

Well for one...exposure. If its airborne wouldn't that make it a greater risk of contacting the flu.:confused: Not an expert here...just curious.

Well for one...exposure. If its airborne wouldn't that make it a greater risk of contacting the flu.:confused: Not an expert here...just curious.

Well I guess we could lock ourselves in our house then and never come out. Yes the flu is out there, and there is nothing we can do about it. The pandemic simply means it is all over the world now.

Well. I suppose flying might put you at greater risk. I almost always pick up something flying. But otherwise, they already said it couldn't be contained about 2 weeks after it was discovered in the US and Canada. There have been a slew of new cases confirmed here, and eberywhere else as well. All very mild cases here, lets hope it stays that way.

But no, it wouldn't dissuade me from travelling.

Well if that is the case, wouldn't you be just as likely to catch it at your local mall or at work or at your kids school. It is everywhere in the world, not leaving your hometown (where it is as well) will not lessen your chances of catching it.

We're booked to travel next month on the Nick-themed cruise (Mariner of the Seas) and I honestly have no fear. I live in L.A. If I'm going to get sick anywhere, it'll be in a heavily populated place like this one. I work in a bustling office and on production locations chock full o' people. We dine out several nights a week, and we play in the park frequently. We have a membership to the Natural History Museum where about once a month our son plays and puts his grubby hands on everything in sight. Speaking of our son, he's in school 5 days a week, in a classroom with a dozen other snot-nosed kids. I highly doubt a few hours on shore in Mazatlan is going to put me in greater risk than I'm in on a daily basis.

That being said, I would love to see the cruise re-routed to SF, Seattle and Victoria. I wouldn't mind one bit - great shopping and sightseeing at those locations. I've never been to Seattle.

I just don't understand the fear over this thing.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Sorry if you've already read my posting of this...

The seasonal flu affects 50 MILLION Americans a year. 36 THOUSAND of them die from it. The HUGE majority of those 50 million didn't take a cruise before getting the flu.

This is NOWHERE near that. Travel on, folks! :)

Well, there is a difference with this flu. Other flu strains have a vaccine so if you have other health conditions you can get the vaccine. With this flu if you are in a high risk category, there IS reason to be concerned. Nobody knows how this virus is going to mutate, that is why people are worried.

I just don't understand the fear over this thing.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Sorry if you've already read my posting of this...

The seasonal flu affects 50 MILLION Americans a year. 36 THOUSAND of them die from it. The HUGE majority of those 50 million didn't take a cruise before getting the flu.

This is NOWHERE near that. Travel on, folks! :)

We're booked to travel next month on the Nick-themed cruise (Mariner of the Seas) and I honestly have no fear. I live in L.A. If I'm going to get sick anywhere, it'll be in a heavily populated place like this one. I work in a bustling office and on production locations chock full o' people. We dine out several nights a week, and we play in the park frequently. We have a membership to the Natural History Museum where about once a month our son plays and puts his grubby hands on everything in sight. Speaking of our son, he's in school 5 days a week, in a classroom with a dozen other snot-nosed kids. I highly doubt a few hours on shore in Mazatlan is going to put me in greater risk than I'm in on a daily basis.

That being said, I would love to see the cruise re-routed to SF, Seattle and Victoria. I wouldn't mind one bit - great shopping and sightseeing at those locations. I've never been to Seattle.

My cruise was one of the re-routed ones. While in Seattle, I saw the headline of the local newspaper, "Local Man Dies of Swine Flu." I thought it was a bit ironic.

The Pacific Northwest is a lovely itinerary, however, and I will be sure to book it again should RCI go ahead with their plans to include it next summer.

My cruise was one of the re-routed ones. While in Seattle, I saw the headline of the local newspaper, "Local Man Dies of Swine Flu." I thought it was a bit ironic.

The Pacific Northwest is a lovely itinerary, however, and I will be sure to book it again should RCI go ahead with their plans to include it next summer.

That is funny and ironic, albeit a bit sad.

I think the PNW itinerary is exciting. I wouldn't mind at all if they re-routed our cruise.

That is funny and ironic, albeit a bit sad.

I think the PNW itinerary is exciting. I wouldn't mind at all if they re-routed our cruise.

Well, it looks as if you will be going to Mexico, unless something changes drastically. Sorry:D

Have a fantastic cruise and enjoy the Mariner. It is a beautiful ship.

And who knows...you could be booking a PNW cruise next year!

Royal Caribbean is considering this itinerary, at least alternating it with Mexico. That would be a great B2B cruise!!

That is AMAZINGLY ironic. WOW.

Well, it looks as if you will be going to Mexico, unless something changes drastically. Sorry:D

Have a fantastic cruise and enjoy the Mariner. It is a beautiful ship.

And who knows...you could be booking a PNW cruise next year!

Royal Caribbean is considering this itinerary, at least alternating it with Mexico. That would be a great B2B cruise!!

That would be a heck of a B2B, but tough to pack for. You people in LA would have it great...go home and change clothes! :)

Well, there is a difference with this flu. Other flu strains have a vaccine so if you have other health conditions you can get the vaccine. With this flu if you are in a high risk category, there IS reason to be concerned. Nobody knows how this virus is going to mutate, that is why people are worried.

No vaccine covers all strains, this is just another one and much milder then many they have seen. The deaths they have been reporting here is the NYC area had all had the caveat they the person had an underlying condition. Any flu if you are in the high risk category you need to be concerned.

That would be a heck of a B2B, but tough to pack for. You people in LA would have it great...go home and change clothes! :)

I thought about the packing issues, but you are right, those of us in So. Cal. COULD just hop home and pick up some different clothes......maybe do a couple of loads of laundry............... Great idea!:D

I thought about the packing issues, but you are right, those of us in So. Cal. COULD just hop home and pick up some different clothes......maybe do a couple of loads of laundry............... Great idea!:D

You DO lose the great ease of reboarding immediately, no lines, no re-check in...if you don't go home, but if you live relatively close to the pier, it's a weekend so there's no traffic, and you can check your mail, wash your undies, water your plants, feed your starving dog...it's well worth it! And totally cool.

If I could afford the cRaZy prices to cruise out of NY, I'd certainly consider a B2B here. But not at like $1100 a cruise for an inside cabin. Blech.

Archived