why some pre paid tips for some, but not for others?

I have no idea what the reasoning is behind it........Princess and Carnival don't make you pre pay.....

No, they just automatically add it to your bill, so I'm not sure that is much of a difference. :rolleyes: On RCI if you are not in MTD and don't authorize them to add the tips to your onboard account, you are free to tip as little or as much as you want at the end of your cruise.:) As far as prepaying tips when you sign up for MTD, it has been clearly explained by others - since you may not have the same servers at every meal, it eliminates any confusion over who to tip at the end of the cruise since the tips are pooled and shared by the wait staff in MTD.

I should clarify my post. On cruiselines that have prepaid tips for all passengers (Carnival and Princess), it's been our experience that service is nowhere near the level that it is on RCI where most passengers tip at the end.

Our experience regarding service with Carnival, Princess and RCCL all have been equal........so far anyway.....

No, they just automatically add it to your bill, so I'm not sure that is much of a difference. :rolleyes: On RCI if you are not in MTD and don't authorize them to add the tips to your onboard account, you are free to tip as little or as much as you want at the end of your cruise.:) As far as prepaying tips when you sign up for MTD, it has been clearly explained by others - since you may not have the same servers at every meal, it eliminates any confusion over who to tip at the end of the cruise since the tips are pooled and shared by the wait staff in MTD.

The difference is pre paid means it is paid when you make your final payment for your cruise........other cruiselines automatically add it to your on board account but is not paid for until the end of the cruise, you have the option of adjusting it up or down or even removing it if you like..........

Our experience regarding service with Carnival, Princess and RCCL all have been equal........so far anyway.....

That has pretty much our experience as well and in the case of those wait staff who provide exceptional service, I don't believe the manner in which their tips are paid has any effect on the level of service they provide. A good waiter takes pride in being able to provide excellent service, while a mediocre one will probably not raise his or her level of service significantly even if it means the tips will be increased.

We were recently on NCL where the tips ($12 a day) are automatically added to your account and experienced the full range of qualities of service from poor to excellent. We never had the same wait staff but I am sure that the fact that the waiters knew they were going to receive their tips at the end of the cruise played little or no role in the quality of the service they provided.

As others have told you, if you wait until you board your cruise and sign up for MTD at that time, your tips will be added to your onboard account. If service turns out to be so atrocious that you object to tipping the staff, a well-reasoned complaint to guest services might result in the amounts being reduced or eliminated. If as you claim, service has been equally good on all of your past cruises I am not sure why you would be concerned.:rolleyes: BTW, have you ever tried to remove or adjust downward the tips on those other lines? From accounts of some friends who tried to do so, it was not a simple process and they were subjected to strong pressure not to do so.

Please, no!!! Anyone who wants to pre-pay, even if they do not have MTD, is free to do so by arranging it at the customer service desk.

But, leave the option open for those of us who prefer NOT to pre-pay tips. It is certainly not easier for this passenger, who wants the freedom to choose to pay in CASH directly to the staff member. hand, rather than

I agree-I like that I have a choice of how I would like to tip.

No........I am fully aware how my time works;) Just wondering why RCCL does it different then the other cruiselines.......

OK now I understand what you are saying. Maybe for the same reason that RCl has taken away our pillow mints and other cruise lines have not! Because that is the way "they" want to do it. You do know I am only joking with you, huh! :o

OK now I understand what you are saying. Maybe for the same reason that RCl has taken away our pillow mints and other cruise lines have not! Because that is the way "they" want to do it. You do know I am only joking with you, huh! :o

Why of course:D:)

Archived